ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Playing Soccer Outdoors

TonyVolt

Junior
Nov 12, 2015
I play soccer outdoors in Montclair. It’s been shut down since quarantine until last week. I didn’t go last week, but want to go this week. Is it worth the risk? Although soccer is deemed a contact sport, the times you are face to face with someone are mostly for limited duration.

I play soccer outdoors in Montclair. It’s been shut down since quarantine until last week. I didn’t go last week, but want to go this week. Is it worth the risk? Although soccer is deemed a contact sport, the times you are face to face with someone are mostly for limited duration.

I ended up playing. Thanks for your advice.

Soccer seems fine. My weekly basketball run at Mountainside Park not so much. I usually come home wearing everyone else's sweat. Not this year.

Reactions: TonyVolt
Grandson has already played two games and has been having practice the past few weeks. All players having temp checks (from both teams) before game, and masks on when not on field playing. No masks while playing. All spectators also with masks (and it was HOT out).

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Grandson has already played two games and has been having practice the past few weeks. All players having temp checks (from both teams) before game, and masks on when not on field playing. No masks while playing. All spectators also with masks (and it was HOT out).

My game is informal with some guys, many of which i don't even know. There are no temperature checks, although that wouldn't be too hard to employ.

All that said, it was great to finally be at there.

My game is informal with some guys, many of which i don't even know. There are no temperature checks, although that wouldn't be too hard to employ.

All that said, it was great to finally be at there.

Was good to see them back on the field.

I know its a different sport, but I've been playing softball all summer, umps and catchers wearing masks, and trying to social distance in dug outs. It's working so far as we have 12 teams in the league.

Grandson has also played twice - went to one game. Lot of spectators were lax about distancing and masks, which was disturbing.

Reactions: dollarbill
Grandson has also played twice - went to one game. Lot of spectators were lax about distancing and masks, which was disturbing.
Was the game outside? If I’m not near you or anybody else I’m not wearing one either.

Was the game outside? If I’m not near you or anybody else I’m not wearing one either.
Yes outside, we stayed about 50’ feet from everyone, most parents congregated close together in the stands. One neat thing was the osprey nest on top of one of the light poles.

Yes outside, we stayed about 50’ feet from everyone, most parents congregated close together in the stands. One neat thing was the osprey nest on top of one of the light poles.
They are fun to watch. I always check them out when at the beach.

With Shore Regional in West Long Branch being pretty close the water and already having "shore" in their name I always thought Ospreys would be a better nickname than Blue Devils. And they have osprey nests already in their light poles too. :)

My grandson did soccer clinic tonight. No contact or scrimmage. At the baseball field next door, it looked like the virus never existed. Parents sitting in a row of lawn chairs with zero social distancing or masks. $$$$

Another game last night (U11 Boys, EDP) - the field we use requires that masks be worn (except when on field playing) and all players get temp checks when they arrive (for practice or games). Was a good game (we won 3-2)....

Wife (she's a nurse) and I don't wear masks while walking the dog. If someone approaches, we switch (or they switch) to the street or the other side of the street. I find it also odd seeing people driving in cars solo wearing a mask. We wear ours when we can't socially distance, or it's required (like going into a store).

Evolutionary biologist Bret Weinstein did a podcast with Rogan. Weintsein studied bats his whole life (he did his thesis on them). He said he thinks that because bats are always in the dark, that bat coronaviruses are poorly adapated to UV light. Even the 1918 flu (not bats) was known to be ameliorated by sunlight and patients were moved outside.

I don't think being outdoors in sunlight, wind and wide open spaces is much of a threat for a respiratory coronavirus. It seems like the real threat comes from being cooped-up indoors with other people. In the east, its the winter months that create a problem, and in warmer states its the higher temps that drive people indoors for the AC.

If someone put poison in a glass of water and I drank it I could get ill. If someone put the poison in the reservoir nothing would happen. That's how I feel about indoor vs outdoor virus risks.

With sports, people are breathing heavy and in close contact, so there would be more of a risk but maybe not much more. I think something like OL/DL play could be riskier because guys breathing hard have their faces in each others grills for the whole game. Playing soccer outside, I don't think I would worry too much. Protecting or rushing a QB in November would make me more apprehensive but not a lot. I could be wrong about that though - spesh because who knows how virus has changed by then. Vitamin D is also very protective and being outside helps

At one hour and 55 mins, an unusually good virus discussion gets rolling

Reactions: TonyVolt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT