ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Stone Brewing just sold off its Berlin Brewery to Brew Dog.

I don't think I have had a Brew Dog beer before, but with this acquisition and their Brewery Hotel in Ohio, they must have some serious cash backing them. Anyone have any idea about Brew Dog?

Whitebus, My son is in Philadelphia right now, at The Belgian Café, he sent me a pic of what he's drinking, is this beer from where you work ?

56759197_1770811009721626_5524689919735234560_n.jpg

Him and his GF:

56816026_1770811069721620_2482647683005677568_n.jpg

PS- Are you going to the Spring game next Saturday ? Won't be the same without Scarlett.

Last edited:
Picked up Troegs First Cut yesterday. I actually did my first cut too yesterday. Lawn is on steroids so far this year. Growing way to fast. Also picked up Wet Ticket Fully Juiced from Rahway. I had no idea this is right around the corner from Merck as I work there quite often.

Whitebus, My son is in Philadelphia right now, at The Belgian Café, he sent me a pic of what he's drinking, is this the from where you work ?

56759197_1770811009721626_5524689919735234560_n.jpg

Him and his GF:

56816026_1770811069721620_2482647683005677568_n.jpg

PS- Are you going to the Spring game next Saturday ? Won't be the same without Scarlett.
I don't work there. The owners are friends of mine. I work close to the brewery.
I used to live close by, walking distance, to the Belgian Cafe.
Won't be making the Spring game. And yes this will different season at Rutgers for me and all of her friends.

Reactions: Abro1975
Last week, Icarus posted on their Facebook page they will no longer be doing hazy IPAs. They stated they want to stay on the cutting edge of brewing and were instead going to focus their efforts on barley wines.
Remember what last week was? Because I forgot, and was reading the post mouth agape.
Picked up some Icarus Power Juicer over the weekend. Delicious.

Kane/Horus collab A Bird to Explore All Shores (white label - rum maple Barrel-Aged) is the best of the 3. Nice rum barrel, coffee and cacao. Maple isn't overpowering...

A Bird to Explore All Shores is a Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout that we brewed in October of 2017 with our friend Kyle from Horus Aged Ales that had been aging in barrels until earlier this year. We started with a complex malt bill that blended our two recipes for Imperial Stouts that we brew for barrel-aging. We then aged a portion of that base into three different barrels - Cognac, Bourbon Maple, and Rum Maple. From these three different types of barrels, we created three distinctly different beers that we bottled for release.
This variant took its inspiration from some of our favorite coffee desserts. We took our Rum Maple Barrel Aged Imperial Stout and conditioned it on dark roasted coffee, cacao and Madagascar vanilla beans.

Hidden Sands Brewery in Egg Harbor is fairly new and has several notable brews worth trying. Their "800' Pilsner" is outstanding along with the "First Drop" coffee maple porter.

Reactions: Vlife and Doteman
Victory Twisted Monkey: Big thumbs DOWN. Way too sweet and artificial tasting. Disappointed since I enjoy many of their brews.

Last edited:
Im going to a craft beer bar in Vineland today called the Brass Tap. They have 3 BA Ten Fidy variants on today: Rum/Bourbon Double BA Ten Fidy, Double Bourbon BA Ten Fidy, and Port/Bourbon Double BA Ten Fidy.

Im going to a craft beer bar in Vineland today called the Brass Tap. They have 3 BA Ten Fidy variants on today: Rum/Bourbon Double BA Ten Fidy, Double Bourbon BA Ten Fidy, and Port/Bourbon Double BA Ten Fidy.
Was at the brewery Saturday and they did not have 3 options available there. I think they only had one. Enjoy.

Pseudo Sue and King Sue arrived in NJ this week. Three Floyd's in Philly this week as well, 19 Lagunitas Waldos. Spring brings the dank for sure. Low-key IPA season.

Trillium tomorrow and Saturday!! New Fort Point location looks amazing pumped to visit!

Enjoy. I was in Boston in the fall attending a conference at the convention center and when I realized I'd only be a few blocks away from Trillium's Fort Point location I had to stop in there and check it out.

Reactions: Zak57
Kane Port Omna Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Beans from Rook is good, but Morning Bell is better.

"Our friends over at Rook Coffee gave us some green coffee beans that we aged in a freshly emptied Willett bourbon barrel for a couple months. After aging in the barrel, Rook dark roasted the beans, and we conditioned the stout on course ground coffee. The combination of barrel-aging and dark roasting adds a unique flavor to the beer unlike any of our previous coffee beers."

Kane Bourbon Barrel Aged Mexican Brunch is phenomenal. Fudge brownie, coffee, cinnamon, barrel and chile. Wow. One of Kane's best.

Definitely have had my share of Schneider over the years...the original Weisse and the Aventinus (dunkel weiss) are solid standbys while the various hopfenweisse beers are pretty good too. Made the obligatory stop at G. Schneider & Sohn when I was in Munich nearly 20 years ago, and more than a decade ago I was at a release event for the first Schneider-Brooklyn collaboration hopfenweisse.

Definitely have had my share of Schneider over the years...the original Weisse and the Aventinus (dunkel weiss) are solid standbys while the various hopfenweisse beers are pretty good too. Made the obligatory stop at G. Schneider & Sohn when I was in Munich nearly 20 years ago, and more than a decade ago I was at a release event for the first Schneider-Brooklyn collaboration hopfenweisse.

Try the Aventinus Eisbock

It’s a sipper

Other Half Pastrytown v2 is good. Thick and sweet but no carbonation. Similar taste to many heavily adjuncted OH stouts. Better than Snowbirds 3.

Conditioned on Colombian Coffee, cacao nibs, hazelnuts, vanilla and cinnamon.

I went to Icarus again last Saturday. Place was packed. I wish they would expand. Its like they have outgrown where they are at. Great beer as always. Having a Milking It now. I picked up Milking It and For the Story, it was a special release they did and a portion of the sales went to 9/11 First Responders. If you have never been there I suggest you go.
33848408488_422d8c56aa_c.jpg

32782138727_0316f5cbc1_c.jpg

Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue is good, Capital Craft had it along with 8 beers from Magnify recently on a tap takeover, There in Spirit was delicious. Kane's Outer Reef is an awesome triple IPA. Lagunitas The Waldo's is out again and is great.

Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue is good, Capital Craft had it along with 8 beers from Magnify recently on a tap takeover, There in Spirit was delicious. Kane's Outer Reef is an awesome triple IPA. Lagunitas The Waldo's is out again and is great.
I tried Ghost Hawk Brewery (new place in Clifton across the street from Ruts Hut) and really enjoyed everything i tried. The Apex Predator (IPA) and the Stout really stood out.

Reactions: leonh71
Fremont Brewing Coconut BA B-Bomb is good. 14%, boozy isn't hidden but not harsh, nice barrel, sweetness and some coconut.

Wow big and disturbing news!! Dogfish Head sold to Boston Beer Co. AKA Sam Adams. The first big domino to fall. Strap in folks. We are in for a wild ride.

Wow big and disturbing news!! Dogfish Head sold to Boston Beer Co. AKA Sam Adams. The first big domino to fall. Strap in folks. We are in for a wild ride.
I just saw news of this and came to this thread. Any idea of it was the owner of DFH cashing out or was he in a stressed financial position?

Fremont Brewing Coffee cinnamon BA B-Bomb (2018) is a fantastic cinnamon bomb. Nice barrel, but not much coffee. 14% is dangerously hidden. Better than the Coconut BA B-Bomb.

This year’s release is aged in 8-12 year-old American Oak bourbon barrels and is a blend of 9, 12, and 24-month old barrel-aged Winter Ale. This special edition adds cold brew coffee and cinnamon bark to complement the bourbon, oak, cacao, leather, toffee, and dark coffee notes achieved from its extended barrel aging and barrel blending.

Edmund's Oast is killing it right now. Bunch of good beers of different styles hitting New Jersey. So good. Bound By Time is probably one of the best New England style IPAs you can get off the shelf.

Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight is awesome. Lives up to the hype. Thick, coffee and maple syrup. Perfect balance and not too sweet. One of the best...

A huge Imperial Stout with an explosive espresso aroma followed by strong notes of maple syrup and vanilla.

Equilibrium Rho was good, nice and thick, but not as good as other coffee stouts/porters from Kane and others...

Pours jet black with a saturated caramel colored head. This coffee created an extremely integrated and well-balanced beer, its aroma is dark chocolate, caramel apple, cinnamon and clove, fresh coffee, dried fruit, and leather. The taste is a milky dark chocolate, dried cherries, hints of vanilla, and a lingering coffee backbone with light bitterness.

Equilibrium Rho was good, nice and thick, but not as good as other coffee stouts/porters from Kane and others...

Pours jet black with a saturated caramel colored head. This coffee created an extremely integrated and well-balanced beer, its aroma is dark chocolate, caramel apple, cinnamon and clove, fresh coffee, dried fruit, and leather. The taste is a milky dark chocolate, dried cherries, hints of vanilla, and a lingering coffee backbone with light bitterness.

Let's see, from Friday through today:

Taphouse Twenty/20 House Amber Ale (really by Flounder out of Hillsborough). Pretty good. Nice choice for a house ale. 7/10

Fog Monster IPA. Smells great, doesn't taste as good as the aroma. Enjoyed it. 7/10.

Jersey Cyclone Quarter Off Kolsch w/ Blueberries and another w/ Cranberries. Cranberry one carried more of the flavor of the fruit, blueberry had a nice hue of purple to it and a nice sweetness. 6/10. Want to try the non-fruited Kolsch.

JC Eye of the Storm with Citra: Really liked this! Light enough to enjoy but with some good flavor. They could eventually have a hit here. 7/10.

JC Franklin Double: Big, hoppy, sticky, little malty, overall decent. Needs work. 6/10.

Dogfish SeaQuench: 9/10 can drink this for days.

Dogfish Supereight: Not as good as SeaQuench but still a fun crusher. 8/10.

Equilibrium/Other Half collab Hello Gentlemen and Will is just ok. All the flavors are present but doesn't hide the 15.5% abv and there's just too much going on...

We all know Will is a gentleman and he loves stouts. This one is packed with almonds, coca nibs, tahitian vanilla, and caramel.

Other half stouts are very overrated.

Last edited:
Was in the city for a concert last night and had the Barrier Money IPA. It was really really good.

Was in Asheville NC, craft beer heaven for a couple days over the weekend. Went to about 15 breweries and I have to say although most were good not 1 could match Trillium, Toppling Goliath, or even our very own Kane.

Reactions: Leonard23 and Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT