ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Forgot to mention that I had Triumph's Irish Mild Red. Which I thought was super interesting. Super smooth and creamy like a guiness but in a red. Really enjoyed.

Bells Two Hearted named beer of the year for third time:
https://www.freep.com/story/enterta...6/19/bells-two-hearted-ale-rating/1501551001/

Never had it but heard of it, curious about it I look it up on Untapped and expect to see it have a rating up there with the Sip of Sunshines and Very Hazys of the beer universe only to see it has a 3.97.

What the heck am I missing here? The scores of my friends avg rating for it was even lower.
I don't get it either. It's a nice IPA. That's about it

Reactions: Block R
I don't get it either. It's a nice IPA. That's about it
Here is the part I find just odd - it's not based off a group of judges where I could understand it winning, but it says it is its readers which I imagine is a large number and if so it would reason that the scores they are handing out are along the lines of beer sites like Untapped and Beer Advocate and that we should expect beers from Tree House or The Alchemist be the top ones, not an IPA that has these scores:

Beer Advocate: 4.23

RateBeer: 4.04

Untapped: 3.97

If you use Untapped these days to chose you brews you are crazy. If it's not a Hazy IPA the reviews are awful. Good forbid those clowns drink a kolesch
Why is it crazy? I have friends who tastes I fully trust and if I see a beer at a store that they rate well and have positive reviews on, that makes my pickings easier and I would say smarter than blindly buying something I know
nothing about.

just tried "Beer that tastes like beer" brewed in Georgia.

Results are in, Yes tastes like good old American Ales from yesteryear. will remind you of Strohs,bud, old Milwaukee, etc. but smooth.

Why is it crazy? I have friends who tastes I fully trust and if I see a beer at a store that they rate well and have positive reviews on, that makes my pickings easier and I would say smarter than blindly buying something I know
nothing about.
Because they only like one type of beer. If you don't like German styles don't rate them. If they think only one style of beer is worthy of a high rating their input is useless.

Do you mean they only like one type of beer? I like all types, most friends and family I know do as well.

Do you mean they only like one type of beer? I like all types, most friends and family I know do as well.
I do as well but I hate sours but never rate them as they aren't my style but many on Untapped will rate beers pourly because they hate the style.

Here is the part I find just odd - it's not based off a group of judges where I could understand it winning, but it says it is its readers which I imagine is a large number and if so it would reason that the scores they are handing out are along the lines of beer sites like Untapped and Beer Advocate and that we should expect beers from Tree House or The Alchemist be the top ones, not an IPA that has these scores:

Beer Advocate: 4.23

RateBeer: 4.04

Untapped: 3.97
Most people have not had the opportunity to drink Tree House beers. Alchemist is more readily available now than in the past. Bell’s is widely available.

I can’t think of a better regularly available IPA. Maybe AleSmith or Stone IPA (my SD IPA bias). IMO Sculpin fell off after the Constellation acquisition.

These hazy IPAs have been all the rage, but they don’t and won’t hold up long term like the classic IPAs.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Two Hearted wins for homebrewers because it's hard as hell to copy properly as a homebrewer, so they respect it.

If we were to go to a broader audience of craft beer fans, then your Treehouse's and Trillium's would win.

And you like IPAs right
I like everything. My preferences depends on the season and/or what I'm eating. The only style I truly dislike are rauchbiers. Tastes like I'm drinking a campfire.
That said, Beer Advocate reviews are usually in sync with what I like/dislike. May not be true for everyone, but it works for me.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Most people have not had the opportunity to drink Tree House beers. Alchemist is more readily available now than in the past. Bell’s is widely available.

I can’t think of a better regularly available IPA. Maybe AleSmith or Stone IPA (my SD IPA bias). IMO Sculpin fell off after the Constellation acquisition.

These hazy IPAs have been all the rage, but they don’t and won’t hold up long term like the classic IPAs.
I disagree about New England style IPAs. They're everywhere and many are damn good. Icarus in Lakewood is crushing it. I think they're here to stay.
Now, if you're talking about brut IPAs, I think they're a flash in the pan.

I highly recommend this cocktail for anyone who enjoys Dogfish Seaquench Ale. Great summer cocktail:
1 oz. Gin
2 oz. Ginger Beer
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
4 oz. SeaQuench Ale

Reactions: JayRU09
I finally caught my Moby Dick...Maine Dinner. Lived up to the hype. Now looking to score 19 Westbrook Mexican Cake, 19 Prairie Birthday Bomb and 19 Prairie BA Birthday Bomb.

Reactions: Leonard23

That's a good point that a national craft beer will win because it readily available. If I had to pick one it would be All Day IPA by Founders.

I was disappointed with Alesmith the one time I tried it, but its possible I had a bad batch.

I disagree about New England style IPAs. They're everywhere and many are damn good. Icarus in Lakewood is crushing it. I think they're here to stay.
Now, if you're talking about brut IPAs, I think they're a flash in the pan.
For a while I had Kane as #1 in Jersey when it came to IPA's, but I agree with you about Icarus, the past year they its been one home run after another with the IPA's and have overtaken Kane.

But OVERALL I still prefer Kane because their Porters are unbelievable.

That's a good point that a national craft beer will win because it readily available. If I had to pick one it would be All Day IPA by Founders.

I was disappointed with Alesmith the one time I tried it, but its possible I had a bad batch.
I actually like the AleSmith .396 Pale Ale the best of all their beers, made a visit to their brewery a couple years ago. Only place where I’ve seen it available regularly in the area is a beer store in Fairview.

Founders All Day is good as well.

Anyone know if Kane is distributed outside NJ, and if so, which other states?

Last I checked no. They self distribute within the state and the owner is taking a super slow and methodical pace to growth. He'd rather get it right than rush to do something, like he did with canning, distribution within the state, and expanding. He makes sure they can afford everything before doing it. Guy is smart, really appreciate how he does his business.

Last I checked no. They self distribute within the state and the owner is taking a super slow and methodical pace to growth. He'd rather get it right than rush to do something, like he did with canning, distribution within the state, and expanding. He makes sure they can afford everything before doing it. Guy is smart, really appreciate how he does his business.

Sounds like a prudent approach, thanks for the info. I'll have to continue keeping an eye out for their stuff when back in NJ, probably in the fall during football season.

Sounds like a prudent approach, thanks for the info. I'll have to continue keeping an eye out for their stuff when back in NJ, probably in the fall during football season.

So the best thing to do is to visit Kane, then head into Belmar to go to 10th Ave Burrito or Jersey Shore BBQ, and then if you're somehow still functioning go to Carton.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Or go to Asbury and head to Dark City and then the Biergarten and/or a million other places!

Or go to Asbury and head to Dark City and then the Biergarten and/or a million other places!

Well, whatever you do, don't go to Dark City, but if you do go to Asbury hit up Talula's and get some really awesome pizza.

Well, whatever you do, don't go to Dark City, but if you do go to Asbury hit up Talula's and get some really awesome pizza.

I like their stuff better than Asbury brewing but haven't been to either. Talulas or Porta yes please. Medusa on the north side of town is really good also.

So as not to derail the thread any further.....anyone have an opinion on a good dark ale or lager but is still thrist quenching and relatively low ABV for drinking during the summer?

Sometimes I get tired of typical summer beers, so I try to look for medium bodied black lagers or schwarzbiers. I like Blackwing Lager by Union Craft Brewing out of Baltimore. Black Thunder by Austin Beerworks was decent. Looking for other recommendations.

So as not to derail the thread any further.....anyone have an opinion on a good dark ale or lager but is still thrist quenching and relatively low ABV for drinking during the summer?

Sometimes I get tired of typical summer beers, so I try to look for medium bodied black lagers or schwarzbiers. I like Blackwing Lager by Union Craft Brewing out of Baltimore. Black Thunder by Austin Beerworks was decent. Looking for other recommendations.

Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger should be right up your alley.

One August weekend in Vegas about 7 years ago I was downing New Belgium Fat Tire (amber ale) at the pool parties and I still get crap for it from my friends.

The other options were Corona and Stella. I still stand by my choice.

Personally I’ve always found having a nice ESB in the summer was refreshing.

Magnify IPAs are up there for me also.
Their IPA'S are good but their porters/stouts are surprisingly very good. I had one a couple months ago that I would put up with whatever Kane produces, I have forgot the name but I can find out.

One Jersey brewery that is underrated when it comes to IPAs is Cape May. Double Evacuation is excellent as is Bounding Main.

It's always stout/porter season...Kane Morning Bell is always "sessionable"...and "only" 9.2% ABV...excellent daily coffee:grimace:
Their IPA'S are good but their porters/stouts are surprisingly very good. I had one a couple months ago that I would put up with whatever Kane produces, I have forgot the name but I can find out.

One Jersey brewery that is underrated when it comes to IPAs is Cape May. Double Evacuation is excellent as is Bounding Main.
Kane's (Troon's too) porters/stouts/BA beers are much better, and much more consistent. Magnify is too inconsistent. Magnify had 1 really good dark beer: YYKM with chilis, cinnamon, chocolate and coffee, but others over the past year or 2 (Impatiently Waiting, Born Day, Sinister Prime Minister, Yertle) were mediocre or worse, and are typically overly boozy or overly sweet. The most recent BA Born Day was solid but not Kane level. If they can make YYKM type quality consistently, then they'd be in the conversation. Icarus has some good dar beers that I prefer over them as well.

ADVERTISEMENT