ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

It's always stout/porter season...Kane Morning Bell is always "sessionable"...and "only" 9.2% ABV...excellent daily coffee:grimace:
Kane's (Troon's too) porters/stouts/BA beers are much better, and much more consistent. Magnify is too inconsistent. Magnify had 1 really good dark beer: YYKM with chilis, cinnamon, chocolate and coffee, but others over the past year or 2 (Impatiently Waiting, Born Day, Sinister Prime Minister, Yertle) were mediocre or worse, and are typically overly boozy or overly sweet. The most recent BA Born Day was solid but not Kane level. If they can make YYKM type quality consistently, then they'd be in the conversation. Icarus has some good dar beers that I prefer over them as well.
I had the Magnify porter at Gusto Grill last month so I plan on calling their head beer guy there to find out which one I had, he'll remember.

Now I just said THIS porter was comparable to anything Kane has produced, well maybe not their Mexican Brunch, including the Imperial Mexican Brunch which I have two bottles of at home, but keep in mind we have different pallets, for example you said you thought they were overly sweet and I like that. I'll always have a sweet tooth. But that one Magnify just connected with me, I thought it was perfect.

Reactions: Leonard23
I had the Magnify porter at Gusto Grill last month so I plan on calling their head beer guy there to find out which one I had, he'll remember.

Now I just said THIS porter was comparable to anything Kane has produced, well maybe not their Mexican Brunch, including the Imperial Mexican Brunch which I two bottles of, but keep in mind we have different pallets, for example you said you thought they were overly sweet and I like that. I'll always have a sweet tooth. But that one Magnify just connected with me, I thought it was perfect.
Oh, I get it, we all have different tastes, and I'm not trying to be confrontational. I like sweet too. When I look at the last year or 2, Kane: Morning Bell, Mexican Brunch, Sunday Brunch, BA Mexican Brunch, BA anniversary stouts, BBA Silent Nights, BA Evening Bell, ANTEAD, Holy Nights, Shell Game, have all been awesome and I preferred them over many others including Magnify.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Oh, I get it, we all have different tastes, and I'm not trying to be confrontational. I like sweet too. When I look at the last year or 2, Kane: Morning Bell, Mexican Brunch, Sunday Brunch, BA Mexican Brunch, BA anniversary stouts, BBA Silent Nights, BA Evening Bell, ANTEAD, Holy Nights, Shell Game, have all been awesome and I preferred them over many others including Magnify.
ANTEAD is so delicious, when people talk about Kane's porters/stouts that one never gets the love it deserves.

Reactions: Leonard23
Tree House Impermanence (2019) is excellent after it warms a little (I usually find Tree House overrated so this was a nice surprise). Nice breakfast stout flavors of maple and roast coffee...

Impermanence is an imperial milk stout brewed with coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup. Below these additions lies a complex base of chocolate, caramel, and dark crystal malts. A gentle pour yields dense mocha colored head that emanates succulent dark chocolate aromas and and a hint of maple sweetness that seems to stick around on the senses. The flavor is decadent, featuring a luxurious chocolate mocha character balanced by a delicate yet ever present maple finish that builds as the beer is allowed to warm in the glass. Impermanence is dense with flavor and rich on the palate yet maintains a certain fluffiness that makes drinking a big glass a true delight!

Tree House Triple Shot (2019) is good, but very overrated for a dark coffee beer, if it's getting 4.5-4.6+/5 on Untappd, as Kane, Troon, Perennial, and Trillium all have much better coffee beers.

Last edited:
Tree House Triple Shot (2019) is good, but very overrated for a dark coffee beer, if it's getting 4.5-4.6+/5 on Untappd, as Kane, Troon, Perennial, and Trillium all have much better coffee beers.
I just today grabbed a can of Heavy Boot of Lead by Singlecut, that's one my favorite coffee beers.

Also grabbed a 4-pak of their DDH 18-Watt, in fact I'll be cracking open a can in 5 mins. But their regular 18-Watt is solid so this should be very good.

Singlecut is excellent beer makers, the only problem is they're too damn expensive.

On the flip side, Trillium Coconut PM Dawn (2019) is awesome...

Continuing our exploration on the base of our bold American Imperial Stout infused with cold-brew coffee, we are proud to present Coconut PM Dawn. This batch utilizes our new Trillium blend cold brew from Barrington. Like our previous PM Dawn variants, we slightly dialed back the coffee ratio to allow the heavy dose of coconut to balance the beer and perfectly accentuate its flavor profile.
Coconut PM Dawn presents a dark chestnut brown color with khaki head and lacing. Bold, freshly roasted dark coffee aromas swirl to the nose accented by notes of sweet shredded coconut, toasted graham cracker, caramel and chocolate chips. On the palate, cold brew derived flavors of roasted hazelnut and melted dark chocolate interweave with a bright coconut profile calling to mind macaroons, Mounds bars, and Caribbean sugar cake. As with all of our PM Dawn variants, Coconut PM Dawn offers a medium to heavy body with a luscious mouthfeel and a light bitterness for a balanced and smooth finish.

I just today grabbed a can of Heavy Boot of Lead by Singlecut, that's one my favorite coffee beers.

Also grabbed a 4-pak of their DDH 18-Watt, in fact I'll be cracking open a can in 5 mins. But their regular 18-Watt is solid so this should be very good.

Singlecut is excellent beer makers, the only problem is they're too damn expensive.
Haven't tried it but will look for it.

Good
1jt73q.jpg

Yeah, I see that. I don’t get that and the whole Naturday thing. Is it a hipster millennial populist thing again like PBR’s first revival?
Naturday is stupid but aimed at the Twisted Tea crowd and it's really cheap but it is a beer.
PBR Hard Coffee is a malt beverage

You're a loser
I dunno.. the bud orange is very artificial tasting... Bud lime is better. There are a ton of good Shandys out there.. and bad ones too.. I posted a photo of a great one above... I really was only looking for a hefeweisen or some other hot weather beer.. that was what the restaurant had... I questioned the use of grapefruit.. but it worked well.

I've tried and enjoyed many of the beers at Ghost Hawk Brewing Co. Their CHERRY DAEDALION/WHEAT and SUN SOAK / NE-STYLE SESSION are my favorites so far.(I usually never drink beer.) It's a new brewery in Clifton. :sunglasses: https://www.ghosthawkbrewing.com/our-beers
Your pic reminds me of the bud light girls they would have in bars as a promotion. Friends would bust my balls, "these girls are paid to flirt and you still can't start a conversation".

Reactions: Jm0513
Naturday is stupid but aimed at the Twisted Tea crowd and it's really cheap but it is a beer.
PBR Hard Coffee is a malt beverage
Yes- but the two fads seem to be catching on with the same crowd for some reason.

Excellent:

dsc_03591.jpg

If the label is marketing this beer as viscous, I'm likely to steer clear these days. I find some Scottish ales to be overly malty and sweet (German double and triple bocks too, for the most part). Viscous to me gives the impression it's more syrup-y in texture and mouthfeel, which after multiple taste tests I've decided I'm just not a big fan of.

Lately I've been drinking a ton of Canadian craft beers. Flying Monkey and Collective Arts have both made good stuff, and I love Nickel Brook's Kentucky Bastard and Cafe Del Bastardo Imperial Stouts.

I took a trip to Cooperstown last week, and although I was with my son and couldn't visit the brewery, I tried a couple of Ommegang's that I've never seen around here: Rare Vos and a limited 2019 edition of their Saison Rose.

The Rare Vos was a great amber ale, with hints of spice and orange. A little heavier than what I would normally drink in the summer, but I would make a great Oktoberfest substitute.

The Saison Rose was very unique. I've been on somewhat of a Farmhouse/Saison kick lately. I like the fruitiness/tartness. They kind of sit in the middle without going full Gose or Shandy. This balanced that perfectly. It's like a cross between a beer and a wine, and I don't think I'd drink more than one at a sitting. At $19 for a 4 pack, I was hoping it was good, and I thought it was great!

One Jersey brewery that is underrated when it comes to IPAs is Cape May. Double Evacuation is excellent as is Bounding Main.
I assume you mean Coastal Evacuation and yes both are very good!!!!!!!! And the price is very reasonable too.

Reactions: Ronnie_B

Singlecut is both excellent and expensive. I have no problem buying most of their beers at their prices.
Worth going to the Tap Room in Astoria. Great place. Highly recommended

Were you filled with dread? Did you run as fast as you can? My local has been carrying Singlecut so I will look for this one.

Reactions: robcac26
Drinking Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Solid beer.

Dead Guy Ale is still the best can design in the business.

Bringing a 5L mini keg of Fruh Kolsch to Monmouth Park tomorrow. Such a great lager. If you are there come and enjoy the best. Will be under the trees in the picnic area

Your pic reminds me of the bud light girls they would have in bars as a promotion. Friends would bust my balls, "these girls are paid to flirt and you still can't start a conversation".
Ghost Hawk is right across the street from Ruts Hut. All of the beers are good but I love the Apex Predator and the Stout (forget the name).

Had the chance to visit the Sloop brewery in East Fishkill NY, located within the old IBM campus. Pretty remarkable story for the founders, started in 2011 in a garage in the City of Poughkeepsie selling beer at farmer’s markets to opening a 25,000 sf facility. Nice place, nothing over the top, good food options, games, etc.

Industrial Arts is opening a 50,000 sf facility about a 10-minute drive west in Beacon.

I could see some of the more successful brewery companies in the region targeting this stretch given it has a great deal of underutilized manufacturing / industrial office space and access to I-84. Newburgh Brewing Company has close to 30,000 sf along the Hudson is Newburgh just south of I-84 and Equilibrium Brewing is adding another 25,000 sf in Middletown, just north of I-84.

This reminds me a bit of how many of the breweries locate in the San Diego region. I think it’s a great thing for the region, particularly the Hudson Valley that has never fully recovered from the loss of IBM in the 90s.

Are there any parts of NJ that are experiencing this type of location concentration and production facility expansions?

Cant believe I'm just seeing this thread now.

Living in San Diego definitely has a bunch of perks, but the beer is probably one of the best ones. TONS of local breweries that are just excellent at what they do.

This has been my go-to beer lately, if you're into Hazy IPAs you will love it.

Anyone willing to trade beers?

ADVERTISEMENT