ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Kane Cognac Vanilla Barrel-Aged Sunday Brunch (2020) is even better than the Bourbon version, so smooth and great vanilla and maple...
Cognac Vanilla Barrel-Aged Sunday Brunch aged in Cognac puncheons for a year, then conditioned on Madagascar and Mexican vanilla beans

Anyone here have the River Horse Craic? It's their BA Irish Dry Stout aged in Jameson barrels. The 19 batch was superb. I'd like to see more BA Irish Dry stouts on the market especially for St. Patrick's Day.

Reactions: RC71
Anyone here have the River Horse Craic? It's their BA Irish Dry Stout aged in Jameson barrels. The 19 batch was superb. I'd like to see more BA Irish Dry stouts on the market especially for St. Patrick's Day.
My buddies and I have actually been brewing that style for St. Patrick's Day for a few years now, using a different whiskey each year. We just brewed this year's batch last night. Turns out the new head brewer that has been turning Beach Haus around is a friend of a friend, so we had him working with us on this one. Once it's done fermenting we will be adding oak chips that have been soaking in Writer's Tears.

Another one of our friends was a brewer at River Horse when they started making Craic, so we joked that we inspired that beer. Once they started making it, our buddy let us use their recipe and we just use a better whiskey than Jameson and leave out the vanilla extract.

I agree this is an underproduced style though. The only ones I can think of available around here are Craic and Kindred Spirits from Innis & Gunn. Revolution out in Chicago is one of the other breweries that gets Jameson barrels, so they make a stout with it too called Jamonilla. Kindred Spirits isn't bad but I think Craic and Jamonilla are superior.

Last edited:
Reactions: RC71 and bigmatt718
Icarus Vanilla Bourbon Kalashnikov (Silver Wax: Heaven Hill Bourbon) was phenomenal, smooth vanilla and HH barrels...

This variant of Kalashnikov was conditioned in Heaven Hills Bourbon Barrels for 10 months. Batch conditioned on 5 Pounds of fresh Madagascar Vanilla Beans to add an even more decadent finish to pair with the rich alcohol flavors of this monster.

Narrow Gauge Zavtrak 2019 was meh, just cinnamon and metallic taste...

Imperial Stout aged on cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon, maple syrup, and coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1
Montclair Brewery= Raspberry Holiday Jam, Tubman Railroad Strawberry Ale, and Golden Buddah Passionfruit.

Last edited:
Had a year+ old (2018) Ballast Point Barrel Aged (High West) Victory at Sea. The beer is great without aging but a bit boozy. The aging not only removed the booziness but heighted the flavor. It was easily the best stout/porter I've ever had.

Reactions: leonh71
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale really digging this one. got it at a really cool place in Ocean City Md. Liquid Assets. Place is a full service liquor store that also has a bar and a restaurant. You can order up any bottler you want pay retail for it and add to your restaurant bill for food.

Really fun vibe and great food as well!

Picked up some Icarus Coconut & Desist. Another good one from Icarus. So they finally branched out there distributing range and are doing a few stores in Mercer County now. Got this at Buy Rite on 33.

Reactions: Leonard23
Picked up some Icarus Coconut & Desist. Another good one from Icarus. So they finally branched out there distributing range and are doing a few stores in Mercer County now. Got this at Buy Rite on 33.
Magnify has really been putting out some really good stuff. Stopped there a couple of weeks ago. Silver Spoon, Froot Stripez and Grandiose Verbiage were all excellent.

FYI, incase you didn't know the Reddit NJBeer forum is keeping a list of local breweries that are delivering or allowing for curbside pickup. Going to hit a couple tonight to replenish the stash and support local business.

Having Boss Tweed by Old Nation Brewing. Very Good, one of the best NEIPA I have had

Just had two of these -- 8.8% ABV, and I'm starting to fall asleep as I ty kcjajdkfjaskdfj .j;zzz

cee0780d66eeb5228e02db009d4cdfb4_640x640.jpg

Quarantine catch up...

Kane Rye Whiskey BA Driftwood 2020 was excellent, nice smooth barrel and maple (I liked it better than the Apple Brandy version)...

Our 12.5% Imperial Brown Ale that was brewed maple syrup and molasses and finished in Woodford Reserve and Rye Whiskey barrels for 13 months.⁣

Kane Apple Brandy BA Driftwood 2020 was good with some apple and caramel flavors as it warmed...

To create this version, we took a portion of the Rye Whiskey barrel-aged stock after about 8 months in the barrels and double barrel-aged it for 5 months in a Calvados cask that we received from Normandy, France. The resulting beer is 14% and boasts a ton of characteristics, with layers of soft apple and caramel.

Kane Double BA Maple Syrup ANTEAD (2019) was very good, nice barrel and chewy maple syrup...

The 2019 vintage of Double Barrel Aged A Night to End All Dawns is our 12.4% imperial stout that initially spent over a year in bourbon and rye whiskey barrels. We then hand-selected the best of those barrels, blended, and aged further in bourbon barrels that had held Vermont maple syrup. The extended aging allowed seasonal temperature fluctuations in the barrels to draw bold flavors form the oak that can only develop with time.

Kane Northern Hospitality was excellent, nice different barrel flavors and thick maple pecan chocolate flavors...

Northern Hospitality, a new 12.1% blend of Barrel-Aged Imperial Stouts conditioned on toasted pecans, cacao nibs and maple. Northern Hospitality was inspired by the sweet, nutty and delicious southern dessert staple, pecan pie. To begin, we hand-selected spirit barrels from our stock of over 200 barrels that would best complement those flavors. We chose to blend a mixture of Imperial Stouts that were aged in Scotch, Oloroso Sherry and Woodford Reserve Malt Whiskey barrels. We then cold-conditioned the blend for over a month to let the flavors from the barrels develop. Finally, the blend was conditioned on Haitian and Dominican cacao nibs.

Bottle Logic Fundamental Observation (2019) was an excellent, thick vanilla stout with good barrel, but I liked Icarus Kalashnikov Vanilla a little better...

This "liquid brownie batter" was aged in a combination of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and Knob Creek bourbon barrels and finishes out at a mighty 13.55% ABV. Each barrel saw multiple additions of Madagascar vanilla beans from one of the best crops in recent memory, ultimately aging the finished batch of beer with hundreds of pounds over the course of a year.

Fundamental Observation was initially honored as 2015's Best New Beer on BeerAdvocate. It maintains two entries on Untappd's Top 50 rated beers for the 2016 and 2017 vintages, and just last year took Gold in the Festival of Wood & Barrel-Aged Beers's Specialty Strong/Porter Stout category before going on to win FOBAB 2018's Best In Show.

Kane Brownie Sugar Adjunct Magik a very good liquid brownie batter with a hint of nuts and not too sweet...

Brownie Sugar Adjunct Magik, a brownie à la mode-inspired Imperial Stout brewed in collaboration with our friends over at Magnify Brewing Company. We began with a complex malt bill that was balanced by lactose added to the kettle. We then used a large amount of brownie batter for rich fudge chocolate flavors. The beer was then conditioned on a thoughtful amount of cacao nibs, Madagascar vanilla beans and walnuts for a robust yet well-balanced finish. Brownie Sugar Adjunct Magik is an indulgent experience best enjoyed à la mode.

2020 Kane Morning Bell, Morning Bean and Morning Mocha. All were good but I liked Morning Bean (nice vanilla roast coffee) and Morning Bell the best (nice roast coffee). Morning Mocha tasted similar to Boardwalk Twist as chocolate overwhelmed the coffee flavor.

Icarus A Tale of Two Printers (Sagamore Rye) was good...

Aged for One Year in Sagamore Rye Barrels, this Russian Imperial Stout was brewed with loads of Domestic 2-Row Malt, Chocolate Malt, and Rye with additional Treacle (Molasses) slowly added during fermentation. The result is a Robust, thick bodied Imperial Stout with a dry Rye finish to compliment the dark fruit forward molasses (Black Wax)

Conclave Mexican Morning Stout wasn't for me. Too much pepper and very thin.

As anyone on the other thread can see, I'm mostly a bourbon drinker these days. But as the weather warms, I do enjoy a good fruited sour, especially after doing the yard work.

My current favorite is Dogfish Head Session Sour, which is a lime and sea salt gose/weissbier combo. I also really like Modern Times Fruitlands, which is a passionfruit gose.

Juice Bomb, IPA Sloop Brewery. Really good and not too far off from Kane IMO. Much cheaper at onlu $10 for a six pack.

Kane Dripping Maple was very good and very similar to 2922 with a little more cinnamon and barrel. BA French toast it is...

Dripping Maple is a French Toast-inspired Double Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout. We began by blending Imperial Stouts that aged for an average of 18 months in Bourbon barrels. After these Imperial Stouts were blended, that blend was racked into 500L Cognac puncheons for a second round of aging for another six months. ⁣

Once aging was complete, we racked the beer to stainless and conditioned it on Madagascar vanilla beans, cinnamon, and maple. Finally, Dripping Maple was cold-conditioned prior to bottling to round out all these layers of big flavors.

Kane BA Morning Mocha was excellent. Nice chocolate and barrel. Much better than regular Morning Mocha...

Barrel-Aged Morning Mocha was created by blending our Imperial Milk Porter that was aged in Willet and Four Roses Bourbon barrels for close to 16 months. After blending the individual barrels, we cold-conditioned the beer in stainless for over a month to soften and round-out the flavors. Afterwards, we conditioned the beer on freshly ground dark roast coffee from Rook and a blend of Ugandan and Haitian cacao nibs. The cacao nibs enhance the chocolate notes of our Porter and complement the delicate vanilla and caramel notesfrpm the barrel-aging. Barrel-aged Morning Mocha is smooth, rich, and packed with fudge and coffee flavors.

Equilibrium Rho Lotus and Oberon was a nice thick coffee stout...

In Science, the symbol most often used for density is ρ (the lower case Greek letter Rho). We used the Rho grain bill to create a stout with a dense mouthfeel and a dialed back bitterness. To help elevate this into a coffee stout, we worked closely with Mike and the experts at Mostra Coffee. Mostra Coffee is an artisan micro-roasting company that sources, roasts, brews, and serves only high-grade specialty coffee. Mostra was recently named a top three finalist for Roaster of the Year 2019 from Roast Magazine, and won Best Original Cold Brew and Best Signature Cold Brew at the Cold Brew City Competition.

Collectively, we chose a blend of unique washed single origin ‘Vietnam Lotus’ coffee, which has notes of dark chocolate, date, baking spice, butterscotch while ‘Brazil Oberon’ is chocolate and nutty. This viscous stout was further conditioned on maple syrup and lactose to complement and round the distinct notes of these unique beans.

Rho pours jet black with a saturated caramel colored head. This Lotus and Oberon coffee create an extremely integrated and well-balanced beer. Its aroma is dark chocolate, roasted coffee, caramel, butterscotch, and sugar. The taste is a milky dark chocolate, coffee, maple, and a lingering coffee backbone with light bitterness. It is silky, creamy, and viscous.

Equilibrium BA Breakfast Time is Relative was ok but very overrated...

The ideal time for Breakfast is whenever you want it! Breakfast Time is Relative is barrel aged Special Relativity 2 conditioned with coffee, maple syrup, and lactose. Embracing special relativity’s theme of time, we chose a nice rest in Hill Rock Double Cask Rye barrels from our friends Hillrock Estate Distillery. Hill Rock Distillery produces hand-crafted spirits made with their own grain, floor malted, craft distilled in copper pot still, and aged in fine oak. Special Relativity 2 was allowed to equilibrate for over 8 months in the barrel with charred oak, and smoke flavors to achieve a harmonious and synergistic balance. This beer was than further conditioned on Mostra Coffee Ghost Bear Espresso Blend, Catskill Mountain Sugar House maple syrup, and lactose. This beer opens up with strong notes of coffee, Dark Chocolate, Stone Fruit, Caramelized Sugar balanced by maple syrup, oak, bourbon, char, and Its flavor follows the aroma with a full viscous body and a smooth chocolate-bourbon palate linger that lets you enjoy the transition time between sips as it warms your soul. This beer should be served near room temperature (~68 F) to enjoy the bouquet of complexity that went into its creation.

Equilibrium/Trillium Climb the Ballmer Peak was ok. Not a huge IPA fan so can't really judge.

Nailed some Topper and Banger myself, rare moment that you can find it in NJ, I guess they have excess beer up in VT and are sending it to new distributors and/or states.
Hoping to see it on draft in NJ, somewhere.......

Drinking this right now, I got my hands on two cans of it and two cans of Focal Banger which I have never had before.

16814.jpg

Same I had it this Sunday and loved it. Not sure if you would like it @Jm0513 as its a NEIPA. It has a slight hoppiness to it, althought it dosen't hurt to try.
50013574603_d20a93614c_c.jpg
My parents live in Jackson I may send my dad over to get me some. Are there lines usually? Does the product sell out fast?! Maybe I can order and he can pickup for me. I plan to check out Source once the outdoor seating is opened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT