ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

Had some great ones recently:

Põhjala Cellar Series - Porridge Bullet

Trappist Westvleteren 12

Reactions: Jerseydix51
I went to Tonewood Brewing when I was in Jersey last month, they are doing some good stuff....The Weight IPA was better than anything I had at Tired Hands.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I don't make it to NJ very often. Do they distribute at bars out of state?

I don't think so.

Magnify is now on the Night Shift Distribution so they show up in a bar or few up here in Boston every now and then.

I usually drink whatever's available fresh from Trillium as far as NE IPAs are concerned. Every now & then, I am lucky enough to get some Bissell Brothers / Treehouse from friends but I hate waiting in line for beers so, I .. Otherwise, I pick up some stuff from Finback / Night Shift / Exhibit A / Singlecut & other times, whatever arrives in mail from trades. There are a lot of small breweries putting good product out there to be drinking from just 1 or 2.

From the bigger name breweries, I'll always have a soft spot for Ithaca Flower Power

have you any Hoof Hearted yet? Doing the NE style in Ohio

Magnify is now on the Night Shift Distribution so they show up in a bar or few up here in Boston every now and then.

I usually drink whatever's available fresh from Trillium as far as NE IPAs are concerned. Every now & then, I am lucky enough to get some Bissell Brothers / Treehouse from friends but I hate waiting in line for beers so, I .. Otherwise, I pick up some stuff from Finback / Night Shift / Exhibit A / Singlecut & other times, whatever arrives in mail from trades. There are a lot of small breweries putting good product out there to be drinking from just 1 or 2.

From the bigger name breweries, I'll always have a soft spot for Ithaca Flower Power

Since today is Labor Day, I am breaking out the fall beers hard today. I had Czig Meister Oktoberfest which was average to me...I've had much better Marzens. The two heavy hitters I had though were the Avery '16 PumpKYn and the '17 Avery Rumpkin. Arguably the two booziest Pumpkin beers out there...16 PumpKYn is nearly 19% ABV!!!

Since today is Labor Day, I am breaking out the fall beers hard today. I had Czig Meister Oktoberfest which was average to me...I've had much better Marzens. The two heavy hitters I had though were the Avery '16 PumpKYn and the '17 Avery Rumpkin. Arguably the two booziest Pumpkin beers out there...16 PumpKYn is nearly 19% ABV!!!
Avery '16 PumpKYn was great. Not a fan of Rumpkin.

Jewish Rye Beer from Triumph Brewery in Princeton. Tastes the way beer should taste.

Was at Cannstatter Volkfest yesterday in Northeast Philly. My first time there. The oldest Volkfest (Oktoberfest) in the US.
Terrific. Loved every minute. The one beer (of many) that I had that you dont see often was Konig Ludwig's Dunkel Weiss. They were all great but this stood out as it is hard to find.

I love dark beer as Guiness Stout and Yeungling Black & Tan. Anyone with other suggestions?

Had a Melvin IPA from Melvin Brewing in Jackson, Wyoming. It has won a bunch of awards. Tasted like a very good IPA.

will have to check out Double Nickel next trip. How is Troon? Getting a crowler of one of their beers in a trade, one of the IPA I saw on untappd looked juicy

Tonewood and Double Nickel are easily the two best breweries in South Jersey.

O'zapt is (it's tapped)! Oktoberfest begins 12 noon Munich time, 6am in the Scarlet Lot.
Tried to find a live stream of the Opening tap last year with no luck. Not much better this year. If anyone can find pleast post link here.

21st Amendment. Canned beers.

I'm a fan of their Brew free or Die IPA. 7%. It's been my go to of late.

Hell or High Watermelon, a 4.5% with a just a touch of watermelon flavor. Good change of pace.

Blah Blah Blah IPA. 8%, just tried it for the first time, was a bit too strong for my taste. I've had some 8%'s that I've liked, Carton's 077xx in particular, this one not too much, maybe need's a higher IBU to balance the higher alcohol? Will go back to the Brew Free or Die in the future.

Recently tried the Yeungling Ocktoberfest which was pretty decent

Was in Amsterdam for a layover. Tried the Zatte Tripel from local brewery Brouwerij't IJ. I'm not really a fan of Belgian-style beers, so was only ok, but a very smooth 8 percent.

In Germany now and picked up a Paulaner Oktoberfest can. It's the blonder style in vogue at Oktoberfest lately, unlike the amber Paulaners I've always had in the States. Like both styles - blonde if it's a warm, summery Oktoberfest day, amber when it's colder.

Was in Amsterdam for a layover. Tried the Zatte Tripel from local brewery Brouwerij't IJ. I'm not really a fan of Belgian-style beers, so was only ok, but a very smooth 8 percent.

In Germany now and picked up a Paulaner Oktoberfest can. It's the blonder style in vogue at Oktoberfest lately, unlike the amber Paulaners I've always had in the States. Like both styles - blonde if it's a warm, summery Oktoberfest day, amber when it's colder.
The Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn has been shipped to the US along with the Oktoberfest Marzen the past two years. Prior to that the Wiesn was only available in a gift pack of a liter glass stien and a liter can inside.
Enjoy!!

Reactions: FanuSanu52
the crowler I received was Ageless Witticism. and yes your are right, it was amazing.

Stopped by Troon this past weekend . . . closed. Tried some in the restaurant. Didn't care for those particular two options, but really like what they have going, there. Went to the distillery, as well.

They only sell in 32oz cans, now, and very limited. For anyone that knows, what are the typical (and "best") times to pick some up? I'm sure it runs out, quickly.

Thx.

The Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn has been shipped to the US along with the Oktoberfest Marzen the past two years. Prior to that the Wiesn was only available in a gift pack of a liter glass stien and a liter can inside.
Enjoy!!

ah .. did not realize it was a distinct style, thought it was just a lighter variant of marzen. Good to know!

Will you still be in Germany Saturday for the start of Oktoberfest? Going to Munich?

Will you still be in Germany Saturday for the start of Oktoberfest? Going to Munich?

Not this year. Went a few years ago on this same trip (frankfurt motor show to oktoberfest), then had my son a year later and my daughter a year after that. Not getting away with ditching the family to get blitzed at oktoberfest (at least for a couple more years : )

That's alright, German beer tastes pretty good throughout Germany.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Anyone heard of, or had, Oberdorfer Wheat? Had one at a fish restaurant in Austria, once. Best beer in the best setting. Cannot find it anywhere in the area. If anyone has seen it, please share. Thx!
72ee33b9c6f07b50f28a1fd358c7ff0c.jpg

See a lot of Oktoberfest talk now.

Head on over to Deutscher Tag at the Deutscher Club of Clark this Sunday (9/17) if you want to put back a few and eat some real German food. Open to the public 11:30AM - 7PM. We even flew in an authentic 40 member German festival band for the weekend (Steuben Day Parade NYC on Saturday).

The Club's Oktoberfest is in early October

Reactions: FanuSanu52
I'm currently drinking Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout. They're from Denmark. Not as good as Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel or most of Evil Twin's Imperial Stouts, but still very drinkable. Very profound, roasty coffee flavor.

Yeah, I didn't get any. It was ridiculous. It sold out online in 2 seconds. Online releases don't work.
I don't know how you can say they don't work. Demand exceeded supply. No matter how they released it, there was going to be a lot of people left out. That has been the case with their sought-after beers for years, and at least now when we don't get it, we don't have to waste the drive down there and then multiple hours of waiting in line before being disappointed.

Reactions: Jerseydix51
I don't know how you can say they don't work. Demand exceeded supply. No matter how they released it, there was going to be a lot of people left out. That has been the case with their sought-after beers for years, and at least now when we don't get it, we don't have to waste the drive down there and then multiple hours of waiting in line before being disappointed.
Well, because driving down there & waiting in line doesn't involve scripts & bots & is actually fair. This has little to do with supply & demand. This year for Morning Bell & Sunday Brunch & even the BA Evening Bell & BA Morning Bell, you didn't have to wait hours or get there beforehand & they sold out within 2-3 or 4 hours, not 2 seconds (or 30 minutes if you knew the tricks to go back in to eventbrite).

Last edited:
Just give me a Bud please. So sick of all these flavored so-called beers.
Great contribution. No idea why people that like shit beer care so much to always jump in a conversation they shouldn't be interested in. You don't see me joining your Nascar or riding mower threads.

Budweiser isn't real beer, real beer doesn't use rice as a main ingredient.

ADVERTISEMENT