ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

So I finally have the opportunity to bring in Kane Brewing. What is their biggest seller? Not your favorite but biggest seller.

Reactions: bigmatt718
So I finally have the opportunity to bring in Kane Brewing. What is their biggest seller? Not your favorite but biggest seller.

They only have 3 beers they distribute right now. Head high their flagship IPA, Overhead their double IPA, and Sneakbox a Pale Ale. All delicious but go flagship with Head High.

If you had to pick 3 best breweries in NJ/NYC area, what would they be?

Other Half, Singlecut, and Kane. Brooklyn in particular has taken the craft beer world by storm.
I'd go Kane, Troon (taste some at Brick farm tavern) and Icarus (all NJ I know lol). I'd try Evil Twin, which just opened their new Queens tap room, and has a bunch of different stuff than their mass distro. I find Other Half massively overrated for their stouts/dark beers and barrels, as they're always waaaay too sweet or overpowering with 1 of the adjuncts, especially coconut, or barrels...more misses than hits for me. I can't speak for their IPAs though.

Reactions: Zak57
Kane Boardwalk Twist is a thick chocolate bomb, not too sweet and not too much vanilla...

Conditioned on a blend of five varieties of vanilla beans and four varieties of cacao nibs.

Collective Arts from Canada have been money for the most part. Their Stout series, Origin of Darkness, is something I'm interested in getting ahold of.

Kane Washed Ashore is fantastic. Thick. Fudge, barrel, perfect amount of coconut...

Washed Ashore, a brand new 12.4% barrel-aged Imperial Stout conditioned on toasted coconut, Haitian cacao nibs and Mexican Vanilla Beans. Its inspired by your favorite coconut and chocolate candy bar, and enhanced through barrel-aging.

Curious is there are any takers to these two stances

1.hoegarten is disgusting. I hate the banana flavor in that beer

2.grolsch is an underrated beer.

Having a Bergen County Bull Stout it’s a French Toast stout by Bolero. I’m not to high on Bolero but this one is a winner.

Seems odd for such a tiny brewery to buy Ballast Point, but I think I read on Beer Advocate that it was bought by five investors, two of whom are the owners of Kings & Convicts. Either that or the Kings & Convicts owners are wealthy guys who just started the small brewery as more of a hobby. Regardless, great to see Ballast Point becoming an independent craft brewery again. Constellation must have lost a fortune on that deal, they bought Ballast Point for about a billion dollars just before the beer industry started trending towards buying beer directly from the local breweries instead of going to the store, and from West Coast IPAs like their flagship Sculpin to New England IPAs.

Last edited:
Just had a Brotherton IPA for the first time. A little like Head High but maybe with a lighter finish.

Can someone explain to me why NJ law states breweries must give a "tour"? What's the point of the law?

Reactions: Jm0513
My current favorite. They only distribute to Connecticut and Vermont, and even in those states, it's really hard to get:
Two good ones, Blue Point Brewery on Long Island has a great Octoberfest beer, and also Spatan from Germany.
2114F442551D5C932194D0
Can someone explain to me why NJ law states breweries must give a "tour"? What's the point of the law?

Kane Maple Wood Evening Bell (whiskey blend) was excellent. So smooth and not too sweet...

12.5% barrel-aged Imperial Milk Porter brewed with maple syrup. We brewed a special batch of Evening Bell with Vermont maple syrup. After fermentation, the Maple Evening Bell sat in both Jack Daniel’s maple wood whiskey barrels and Woodford Reserve rye whiskey barrels for over a year. We then tasted the individual barrels and selected a blend that highlights the unique character of each type of barrel.

Reactions: bigmatt718
It's a result of the whining by bars and restaurants who gripe about breweries' liquor licenses costing significantly less. Due to their lobbying, the lawmakers sought to make going to a brewery more of a touristy/educational experience rather than hanging out at a bar. That's also why there are restrictions on the number of "events" breweries can have, showing sporting events on TV, amplified music, etc.

Alchemist: Heady Topper - iconic IPA with massive hype. Very good but I think other breweries have caught up at this point. Still worth getting if you have chance. 4.5/5

Since there is sampling, a tour reinforces the educational aspect of the law. Lately, most places I've been to have self guided tours, or they just hand you a laminated card that shows how beer is made. Very enlightening.

Yeah I just think the law is dumb. Pointless but we have a lot of that. Everyone skirts it anyway at this point.

So I am in the middle of moving back to Philly. Since Army Navy is Saturday I had to see what was on that bottom shelf in the fridge to take for tailgating. Thin the herd so to speak. Knew had a few Raid the Eisbock in there and found 2 Barrel Aged Punkless Dunkel both from Neshaminy Creek Brewing. I think the USNA Class of 1986 would enjoy one of both. I also have 2 Westy 12s but they are reserved for the day I get my next Great Dane. But the big surprise, forgotten brew that was hidden back there was 4 Ballist Point Barrel Age High West Victory at Sea. 1 year aged!! Those bad boys will be at the tailgate! Stop by in lot N if you are thirsty Saturday for Great brews.

So I am in the middle of moving back to Philly. Since Army Navy is Saturday I had to see what was on that bottom shelf in the fridge to take for tailgating. Thin the herd so to speak. Knew had a few Raid the Eisbock in there and found 2 Barrel Aged Punkless Dunkel both from Neshaminy Creek Brewing. I think the USNA Class of 1986 would enjoy one of both. I also have 2 Westy 12s but they are reserved for the day I get my next Great Dane. But the big surprise, forgotten brew that was hidden back there was 4 Ballist Point Barrel Age High West Victory at Sea. 1 year aged!! Those bad boys will be at the tailgate! Stop by in lot N if you are thirsty Saturday for Great brews.
Hey Bus, you have any thoughts or feedback on CigarFest? Back in early November a couple of guys on the golf course suggested I attend next year and was wondering if you have ever gone? They HIGHLY recommended it.

VERY underrated:

Flounder Brewing Co. to expand, joining new craft distillery at Hillsborough's Carriage Farm

After seven years brewing in the Hillsborough Business Park, Flounder Brewing Co. —which began as one of the smallest breweries to open in New Jersey — is moving to an expanded space in Hillsborough, joining a new distillery also coming to town.

Following a November site plan amendment application approval by the Hillsborough Township Board of Adjustment, Flounder will begin a move to the 19-acre Carriage Farm inside a 250-year-old Dutch barn and 100-year-old English barn on Amwell Road.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...arriage-farm-bellemara-distillery/4357743002/

Flounder Brewing in Hillsborough named one of the fastest growing breweries in US

HILLSBOROUGH - Flounder Brewing is not floundering.

The home-grown business has been named the 22nd fastest growing small and independent breweries in the United States by the Brewers Association (BA) — the trade group representing small and independent craft brewers.

“We’re proud to see our hard work recognized in these rankings from the Brewers Association,” Jeremy “Flounder” Lees, founder and president of Flounder Brewing, said in a statement.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...med-fastest-growing-breweries-u-s/3299280002/

Seasick Crocodile by Prairie - Sour Ale with cranberrries, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Its different then my usual but good if you like sours. You can pick up the spices and can art is great too.

49215653997_5a4b4960b1_c.jpg

Having a Bolero Bergen County Bull Stout with Peanut Butter, Cocoa Nibs and Madagascar Vanilla.

The big hype beer around Philly right now is the Winter Warmer Coffee Stout by 2SP Brewery. Brewed with the Winter Blend coffee from Wawa. They have 3 variants including a BA variant this year. I found the base this year.

The big hype beer around Philly right now is the Winter Warmer Coffee Stout by 2SP Brewery. Brewed with the Winter Blend coffee from Wawa. They have 3 variants including a BA variant this year. I found the base this year.
Weak reviews

Weak reviews
Upon analysis, those reviews have been validated. The Winter Blend was there, but an incredibly thin stout outside of that. A thin stout might be the worst thing a stout can be labeled. You either want them to be robust and full of roasty goodness, or crazy smooth after sitting in barrels for months. I'm now drinking a BBA Dogfish Head WWS which is absolute perfection. Literally might be flawless.

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT