ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Restaurants Reducing Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of our favorite restaurants in central jersey are starting to significantly limit capacity to at or below 20% due to a lack of workers. A few of these places where we’re friendly with the owners have told us if the situation doesn’t improve by June, they’ll be done by July.

I was shocked as virus-wise we’ve turned the corner. Did some research into why this is an issue and it seems like no one has an answer as to why no one wants to work. The economist basically debunked the theory that it’s due to unemployment extensions.

Anyone else have any insight into this? Seems like the industry is in huge trouble if hiring doesn’t pick up.
What restaurants as I havent seen any reducing capacity in CJ and instead are increasing or have been over the covid reduced capacity for a long time now?

Well
If one is a server if they are relying on those wages to support a family

Then they should fine another chosen profession and those jobs are not designed to support a family
yes they should find employment elsewhere .
The same goes in every profession that the employee feels they are underpaid.
But in many cases finding different employment that pays more when you don't have experience in it might be a little hard to benefit financially right from the start and the economic hit while trying might hurt the family more than eking out a living in the profession you know.

Which brings to mind this showing of compassion by major charter in a classic move.
“A Christmas Carol,” Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by two portly men raising money for the poor.

“At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge,” said the [one of the gentlemen], taking up a pen, “it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.”

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

If the shut down of restaurants had not been so draconian, perhaps many could have kept their jobs. Two of my most visited restaurants when I travel to Rhode Island are gone for good. It did not have to be that way.
Cool story.

But the same problem is happening in places that had less severe restrictions.

yes they should find employment elsewhere .
The same goes in every profession that the employee feels they are underpaid.
But in many cases finding different employment that pays more when you don't have experience in it might be a little hard to benefit financially right from the start and the economic hit while trying might hurt the family more than eking out a living in the profession you know.

Which brings to mind this showing of compassion by major charter in a classic move.
“A Christmas Carol,” Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by two portly men raising money for the poor.

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”
If you are relying on tips to support a family....then you are in the wrong profession
There is no reason one can’t improve their situation

I did it during the height of recession in 2009....Heck....I had to work 3 jobs at one point

Anyone can do it if they put their mind to it....work hard and persevere

The level of ignorance ITT makes my blood boil.

You really can’t figure out why restaurants can’t find staff? Hints: paying people more money NOT to work on top of limiting capacity at restaurants to 25% will do that.

Then you have the guy complaining his food is more expensive lol.

No shit, the Governor cut their business 75% and basically forced the owner to spend all their PPP money on an outdoor tent so people could eat inside a tent that is outside, because it’s safer that eating inside.

Then last but not least we have the guy “well if you paid these people more”.

It’s a job paid on tips. You think they’re hourly staff? If their pay got jacked up that is a cost that the customer would pay, until it got to the point the customer wouldn’t pay. Then you go out of business.

You can tell that some of you never even sold lemonde as a kid.

Isn’t that part of the issue that they make more on unemployment than people are willing to pay them. Isn’t this the free market system at work? If you need workers pay them more. I bet that if you offered them more on terms of pay you would get more applicants. The restaurant my kids work at have no such issues as they are pretty much at full capacity and they just opened the outside but they pay there servers and front of the house staff pretty well

LOL. The free market doesn't exist when the .gov takes your money and gives it to others. That's the definition of NOT a free market. Try again.

The level of ignorance ITT makes my blood boil.

You really can’t figure out why restaurants can’t find staff? Hints: paying people more money NOT to work on top of limiting capacity at restaurants to 25% will do that.

Then you have the guy complaining his food is more expensive lol.

No shit, the Governor cut their business 75% and basically forced the owner to spend all their PPP money on an outdoor tent so people could eat inside a tent that is outside, because it’s safer that eating inside.

Then last but not least we have the guy “well if you paid these people more”.

It’s a job paid on tips. You think they’re hourly staff? If their pay got jacked up that is a cost that the customer would pay, until it got to the point the customer wouldn’t pay. Then you go out of business.

You can tell that some of you never even sold lemonde as a kid.
This is what you call OWNING & ENDING a thread…well done!👏🏼👏🏼

I believe it has gone down to $300. They would find ways if they really needed workers. seems like they want to hire people at the pre pandemic slave wages. If you have ever waited tables on a Monday or Tuesday and work 7 or 8 hours for $40 bucks you might understand why some people are unwilling to go back to that.

"Slave" wages? Your agenda is showing.

If you are relying on tips to support a family....then you are in the wrong profession

I did it during the height of recession in 2009....Heck....I had to work 3 jobs at one point

That’s great. I hope you’re back to one good paying job. My father in the 70’s once went to the town asking if they had any work thinking that with all the taxes he paid, they might have an opening. He did take a contract job in Minnesota for a couple of months to get by but finally was called back from layoff from Bendix, a highly paid union job.

The low hourly wages waiters and waitresses make keeps down the cost to run the restaurant and increase the profits by paying less for the employers and having them have to rely on making tips to make a living wage.
Most resterants know which serer slacks off instead of hustles and replaces them quickly so they don't have customers waiting to be taken care of and lose business because of that.

Also there are currently no federal or state laws mandating that small businesses in the restaurant industry provide health-related benefits, but the Affordable Care Act requires that all businesses with more than 50 employees offer some sort of health insurance plan..
So many employees that rely on tips for wages need to make enough tips every day so they don't need public assistance to pay for their family's medical bills.

...or they could not not have a family if they can't support it.

Reactions: RU2131
Here in Texas not everything worked great but restaurants were open at the 50% capacity level from 1 May 2020 to sometime in the fall; then up to 75% and to 100% since March 10 2021. That time in 2020 gave them a chance to adjust without going out of business…NOW restaurants look like they did (essentially) pre-Covid except for masked employees.

That's nice to hear, especially these days.
I am excited for them. His wife is a phenomenal baker and they worked hard to move from a farmers market to a downtown storefront.

They have been open a week with continuous lines. They sold out of all products every day.

They start at 2 am and figured they would be open to 3 pm but have sold out every day between 11 and 1.

It is in Maryland or else I would be givi g out their address for people to go there

Two comments:
1. Just last week... ...although I have no idea).
2. About 10+ years ago, I was sitting at the bar at a restaurant in Raritan Township. The place was almost empty. The bartender and owner were talking, I overheard the owner say without illegal workers, they would close along with 1/2 the restaurants in NJ. I was really surprised. I work in engineering, and I perhaps naively thought there were very few illegal immigrants in NJ. If these guys are already here, shouldn’t we just make them citizens?

🤣 🤣 🤣 C'mon man.

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
That’s great. I hope you’re back to one good paying job. My father in the 70’s once went to the town asking if they had any work thinking that with all the taxes he paid, they might have an opening. He did take a contract job in Minnesota for a couple of months to get by but finally was called back from layoff from Bendix, a highly paid union job.
Thank you and I am in a much much better situation and I was part of a mass layoff in 2009

Took 2 days to figure out what direction I want to go in....changed careers and worked my ass off

Too many people like the poster above make excuses....f-that

Work hard and never ever give up

How much does a food service worker make per hour? Not an agenda simply facts

Here's an answer that will make your head spin...

What the market will bear. Which means exactly what they're worth. That's the cold fact of the matter.

Here in Texas not everything worked great but restaurants were open at the 50% capacity level from 1 May 2020 to sometime in the fall; then up to 75% and to 100% since March 10 2021. That time in 2020 gave them a chance to adjust without going out of business…NOW restaurants look like they did (essentially) pre-Covid except for masked employees.
Yeah, this could never happen in Texas:

Since the thread is about not being able to get workers apparently that demographic is not.

What the market will bear. Which means exactly what they're worth. That's the cold fact of the matter.
Apparently they are worth more than owners want to pay if the option is to close

Reactions: Greg2020
In the meantime I’ll still be tipping like a pimp when I go out.

People were very good to me when it was needed (but never asked for) and still are so I try to pay it forward when I can. Especially local.
I remember taking this pic the 1st time you came in

gNb-njRSDuR3OoFl8JFB8fXs_k-_laSolquhwHDTQQw.jpg

Reactions: cicero grimes

“Amazon said Wednesday that it plans to give more than 500,000 of its workers a raise as it seeks to attract new workers,” ABC News reports. “The online shopping giant, which already pays new hires at least $15 an hour, said it will start increasing pay between 50 cents an hour to $3 an hour starting next month.”

Why is Amazon doing this? No, it’s not out of Jeff Bezos’ generosity or the goodness of their hearts. Market forces are pushing them to raise wages.

A number of our favorite restaurants in central jersey are starting to significantly limit capacity to at or below 20% due to a lack of workers. A few of these places where we’re friendly with the owners have told us if the situation doesn’t improve by June, they’ll be done by July.

I was shocked as virus-wise we’ve turned the corner. Did some research into why this is an issue and it seems like no one has an answer as to why no one wants to work. The economist basically debunked the theory that it’s due to unemployment extensions.

Anyone else have any insight into this? Seems like the industry is in huge trouble if hiring doesn’t pick up.

Restaurant Workers who only make tips have been making just as much if not more on unemployment.

“Amazon said Wednesday that it plans to give more than 500,000 of its workers a raise as it seeks to attract new workers,” ABC News reports. “The online shopping giant, which already pays new hires at least $15 an hour, said it will start increasing pay between 50 cents an hour to $3 an hour starting next month.”

Why is Amazon doing this? No, it’s not out of Jeff Bezos’ generosity or the goodness of their hearts. Market forces are pushing them to raise wages.
That is a tough job. My neighbor who had been unemployed was working there but could not handle the job.
If you ever saw him work around his house and yard you would know he is willing to work hard but he admiited he could not handle the pace and stress of their expectations

My daughter works at a breakfast and lunch joint here in Newtown. The place always has a wait for seating and she absolutely cleans up. Thursday through Sunday, the servers usually make $150-$200+ a day in tips. She came home today with almost $300 because of one huge tip. May to Labor day she will make more money than her mom, lol.

We deported a lot of the illegals under Trump back to their country so there‘s a shortage of workers. Kids under 21 move on with life and new phase of life, restaurant work not suppose to life career. Risky job possibly getting COVID. Families are moving out of NJ to Texas or Florida. Forgot, people retire.

They also found it easier to work at Uber/ Lyft or another gig job.
Lol,!!!??🤣 No we didn't. He just reduced the influx.. Are 15-18 million illegals enough? It's probably around 20M but no one cares or wants to know the truth.

Last edited:
Tipped employees
Any worker who earns regular tips (specified as earning at least $30 in tips a month by the FLSA) is eligible for a special tipped minimum wage rate. Employers are permitted to pay tipped employees an hourly cash wage of as little as $2.13/hr- however, if this wage and the tips earned during that hour do not add up to at least the applicable minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference in cash. Thus, tipped employees are guaranteed to earn at least minimum wage, and can earn more then minimum wage in tips.

Cold fact:
The Fair Labor Standards Act mandates that employees who earn $30 or more per month in tips be paid at least $2.13 per hour in wages. This means that if you’re a waiter, bartender, or another service employee who receives tips, your employer is only required to pay you $2.13 per hour in wages.

My daughter works at a breakfast and lunch joint here in Newtown. The place always has a wait for seating and she absolutely cleans up. Thursday through Sunday, the servers usually make $150-$200+ a day in tips. She came home today with almost $300 because of one huge tip. May to Labor day she will make more money than her mom, lol.
But according to many here $300 a week on unemployment is worth more than $150-300/day.

Cold fact:
The Fair Labor Standards Act mandates that employees who earn $30 or more per month in tips be paid at least $2.13 per hour in wages. This means that if you’re a waiter, bartender, or another service employee who receives tips, your employer is only required to pay you $2.13 per hour in wages.
But has to guarantee a minimum wage if the tips do not reach that level

Cold fact:
In most states bartenders have a higher minimum wage. From 2018...

Can't put a number on that. At a small town diner during a lunch shift, $12-15/hr. Waiters working thu-sun evenings at Steven Starr's Parc in Philly? Six figs.

Can't put a number on that. At a small town diner during a lunch shift, $12-15/hr. Waiters working thu-sun evenings at Steven Starr's Parc in Philly? Six figs.
I can't stand Steven Starr. But I do love his Frankford Hall and I know those people make big coin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT