ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Restaurants Reducing Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
The level of ignorance ITT makes my blood boil.

You really can’t figure out why restaurants can’t find staff? Hints: paying people more money NOT to work on top of limiting capacity at restaurants to 25% will do that.

Then you have the guy complaining his food is more expensive lol.

No shit, the Governor cut their business 75% and basically forced the owner to spend all their PPP money on an outdoor tent so people could eat inside a tent that is outside, because it’s safer that eating inside.

Then last but not least we have the guy “well if you paid these people more”.

It’s a job paid on tips. You think they’re hourly staff? If their pay got jacked up that is a cost that the customer would pay, until it got to the point the customer wouldn’t pay. Then you go out of business.

You can tell that some of you never even sold lemonde as a kid.
oh the irony with mr potato talking about ignorance. Free market !!! SAD!!!

the reality is that too many owners and people accepted the bs and now they are suffering. Hard to feel sorry for people for following rather than leading
The people who didn't accept the restrictions and stayed open got fined or lost their license. Your viewpoint is beyond stupid!!

Reactions: TRU2RU
A lot of bartenders in cities are union like I believe NYC and AC. Years ago it was in the low to mid $20's an hour.
Stephen Starr restaurants are non Union. Frankford Hall sells more beer in Philly than any other non distributor. And they are mostly an outdoor spot.

Isn’t that part of the issue that they make more on unemployment than people are willing to pay them. Isn’t this the free market system at work? If you need workers pay them more. I bet that if you offered them more on terms of pay you would get more applicants. The restaurant my kids work at have no such issues as they are pretty much at full capacity and they just opened the outside but they pay there servers and front of the house staff pretty well
So these businesses are in competition with the government for 'workers'?
The 'free market system' is to pay more because the government will 'pay' better for them NOT to work. Great country!

of course you could because trump passed it. If he extended it you would agree with that too.
Trump wanted it extended before the election, but republicans would not do it.

Today's Republican party is more populist than fiscally conservative. That is too bad because that is the only part of the party that was appealing.

Trump wanted it extended before the election, but republicans would not do it.

Today's Republican party is more populist than fiscally conservative. That is too bad because that is the only part of the party that was appealing.

So you say he didn't extend it but than post an article he did extend it at $300. Huh? What is your point?

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Fiscally there is no effing difference between the elephant and the ass…they all love spending your money, POORLY.

The future is royally effed…

Maybe an E.L.E and a fresh start is what the planet needs…it’s time for the new Apex species to take over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also noticed that the restaurants have increased their prices and even cut their portions. Do they think the customers don’t notice it or am I the only one noticing these changes?
It's why I cook my own food save for maybe once in a while when I take a break and order in some Chinese food or something like that. I very rarely eat out because it's a rip off. I made me some bad azz eggplant parm Saturday.

Reactions: goru1869 and Jm0513
i have spoken with a few restaurant owners on the Cape Cod and it is the housing shortage that is the issue. Any thing that can be rented has been rented and prices through the roof. People who would normally house a worker or two or Cape League player are not looking to do that this year. Workers on Visas mist have housing before they can come in for a job Per one restaurant. Help wanted signs are everywhere out here.

What restaurants as I havent seen any reducing capacity in CJ and instead are increasing or have been over the covid reduced capacity for a long time now?
A bunch in Somerville are including personal favorites Tapastre and Project Pub.

Morey's Piers in Wildwood has 1,500 seasonal openings they can't fill for $15.00/hr.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/04/29/jersey-shore-seasonal-jobs-hiring-shortage/

That's interesting. The wife and I just spend a weekend in Wildwood at our condo and while I didn't got down the to the boardwalk I can tell you Cape May and the surrounding wineries are all hopping and the stores/restaurants all looked fully staffed. And while the staff where wearing masks very few people walking around Washington Street were and I'll say 50% of the people at the restaurants weren't wearing them when they got up to go the bathroom or to leave.

Reactions: asgot
If the shut down of restaurants had not been so draconian, perhaps many could have kept their jobs. Two of my most visited restaurants when I travel to Rhode Island are gone for good. It did not have to be that way.
I agree that they never should have completely shut down and that is a greater issue. Although many of the restaurants around me were able to pivot to take out pretty fast. While some of them kept there staff most cut their staff drastically. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and even though it was a struggle he kept all his staff and now he is able to function without any service breaks.

We deported a lot of the illegals under Trump back to their country so there‘s a shortage of workers. Kids under 21 move on with life and new phase of life, restaurant work not suppose to life career. Risky job possibly getting COVID. Families are moving out of NJ to Texas or Florida. Forgot, people retire.

They also found it easier to work at Uber/ Lyft or another gig job.
You would be stunned by the amount of illegal workers working in restaurants especially large chain ones and Hotels

It's going to be an eye opener when the majority of people feel safe enough to return to pre-pandemic levels of eating out. The number of restaurants that have been forced to close since March 2020 is much higher than most people realize. Reservations will be required at places that you would never have thought would need them. Prices are rising to enable higher wages to servers and allow owners to recover some of their losses. This will mitigate some of the demand and people have become more comfortable eating at home.

Reactions: cicero grimes
It's going to be an eye opener when the majority of people feel safe enough to return to pre-pandemic levels of eating out. The number of restaurants that have been forced to close since March 2020 is much higher than most people realize. Reservations will be required at places that you would never have thought would need them. Prices are rising to enable higher wages to servers and allow owners to recover some of their losses. This will mitigate some of the demand and people have become more comfortable eating at home.
Our family members are now use to ordering take out. Some family members are getting older and can’t easily get out of the house so on family occasions will now be at a family member home. I agree that so many restaurants closed that the remaining will be extremely busy.

Don't forget the eviction moratorium that is still in effect, and will remain in effect for 90 days past the day the order is rescinded. $300/wk extra unemployment on top of whatever the State already entitles doesn't sound like much...until you don't have to pay rent.

Reactions: RUaMoose
3 words. Youth League Officials. There is a dire need for them and the pay is very good. My son made over 10G last summer umpiring high level travel baseball games. It's not easy, especially at the higher levels. The drawback is one needs the ability to take a lot of cr@p from the parents and coaches who have nothing better to do but live vicariously through their children.

Reactions: BossNJ
If the shut down of restaurants had not been so draconian, perhaps many could have kept their jobs. Two of my most visited restaurants when I travel to Rhode Island are gone for good. It did not have to be that way.
I don't know if you can assume people would work for servers salary if they didn't feel safe in the 1st place. I don't think it's our place to tell them what to do unless we are willing to walk in their shoes.

Now that there's a vaccine hopefully there will be an uptick in the industry. Getting back to pre pandemic days may never happen.

You’d be hard pressed to find one restaurant in this area that doesn’t employ undocumented immigrants.

One thing about hiring undocumented immigrants is that you don't have to pay them what the market will bear. They won't unionize either. It's kind of like owners of small companies skimming. The law can clamp down on it, but that would be effectively ending small business in this country.

I don't know if you can assume people would work for servers salary if they didn't feel safe in the 1st place. I don't think it's our place to tell them what to do unless we are willing to walk in their shoes.

Now that there's a vaccine hopefully there will be an uptick in the industry. Getting back to pre pandemic days may never happen.

the draconian lockdowns led to fear. If restaurants and society weren’t shutdown people woukd still work.

the draconian lockdowns led to fear. If restaurants and society weren’t shutdown people woukd still work.
The number of illnesses and deaths led to fear. Those folks don't live in a bubble. Close contact to large numbers of strangers with no idea whether they're carrying the virus or not and if you'll get very sick or bring it home would give most pause.

We can't get enough help at the hotel I bartend at part time and none of my friends can get enough people to work at their restaurants. And these are places where you make really good money

Reactions: knightfan7
The number of illnesses and deaths led to fear. Those folks don't live in a bubble. Close contact to large numbers of strangers with no idea whether they're carrying the virus or not and if you'll get very sick or bring it home would give most pause.
This. I didn't work behind a bar for over a year until I got vaccinated. Working my day job was good enough for me.

wouldn’t that give pause even before the pandemic?

wouldn’t that give pause even before the pandemic?
In 100 years there weren't hundreds of thousands dropping dead and a greater number getting very ill before the pandemic.

Without the "draconian" measures what would the numbers have been? You can't expect people to take that risk so we can have a burger and a beer.

I'll send you a medal.

If it was so easy it would have been done a long time ago. Most employers would never go for it. They want the employees working for tips because the believe they'll give better service.
you can make your points without being such a dick. (or can you? perhaps you're now framing your posts from that other insult master).

Posts were made as to why they thought workers weren't returning..specifically that they'd only make $40 bucks on a Mon or Tues and I offered the solution to that. I didn't say owners would love it... the service angle is one thing. Not having to raise prices, putting the cost on customers, and putting the risk on the servers are the key drivers.

And here..just for you I'll tee-up another opportunity for you to make a smart ass response. I'm not claiming to be an expert but have a brother who owned 2 establishments for 15 years and we both bartended for over 10 years each. So I do have just a TAD of insight and experience on the matter.

In 100 years there weren't hundreds of thousands dropping dead and a greater number getting very ill before the pandemic.

Without the "draconian" measures what would the numbers have been? You can't expect people to take that risk so we can have a burger and a beer.
Id say numbers woukd be fairly similar as many studies have shown the measures may not have worked.

We take “risks” every day before and after the pandemic.

Reactions: dvb91
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT