ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roy Williams doesn't expect UNC hoops to get 'hit in any way at all' by NCAA sanctions

UNC ought to be given the death penalty for their violations - unconscionable stuff. Had to crack up during the game when there was an NCAA commercial with Billie Jean King lauding the NCAA's efforts on academics, integrity, and fair play.

Good game tonight, but I hate both teams/programs. Probably hate Nova less, now that UNC has been shown to be cheating so badly.

Reactions: rume and Abro1975
Great win by Villanova and the Big East. Congrats to UNC for playing a spirited game.

iDmZSRz.jpg

Yep, scarlet scourge right. RU is not a power program (yet, hopefully) and as such you are correct. We would be crucified but UNC is a mens basketball cash cow and the NCAA doesn't slaughter it's cash cows.

I rooted against UNC....and really don't care that Nova is the beneficiary of my aura / energy that squeaked by a cheating pile of SHIITE!

MO

The irony of fans from a college team who cheated for decades complaining about "the refs cheating" for Villanova, lol. Anyway, great shot by Kris Jenkins and congrats to Philly. They FINALLY have a champion other than Rocky Balboa.

The officiating was bad, more so in the 1st half. It was obvious the refs were favoring Villanova. But that's what happens when the Public and media turns against you. The same thing happened in 2003 when Miami played OSU the refs literally handed that championship to OSU. But at the end of the day no one really remembers.

Last edited:
What is he supposed to say? "Well, I expect a few sanctions because we cheated, but I don't feel we cheated THAT badly so it probably won't be a postseason ban and I probably won't be fired. We'll see."

The networks don't want the ACC brand hurt either. So there is money pressure on the NCAA from all sides. Money talks.

By the way, the UNC v Nova championship game received the lowest rating ever (10.6) for a final; that's counting viewers across TBS, TNT, truTV . Down 34% from last year's final.

So much for the great misconception that UNC is some sort of cash cow for the NCAA.

Reactions: soundcrib
By the way, the UNC v Nova championship game received the lowest rating ever (10.6) for a final; that's counting viewers across TBS, TNT, truTV . Down 34% from last year's final.

So much for the great misconception that UNC is some sort of cash cow for the NCAA.

I guess we will have to wait to see what sanctions and punishments UNC receives. I will still be surprised if they are very harsh and if they are kept in place rather than reduced after a year as they were with PSU. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it. And I mean gladly.

Roy Williams is the only sanction UNC needs to prevent them from winning another NC.

Actually no. What that really means is so much for this great misconception that TBS is an equal platform to CBS.

Below is the section of the NCAA's NOA to UNC on pages 48-49, specifically naming Men's Basketball. Not sure how Ol' Dag-gum Huckleberry Roy missed it, or how any member of the media just doesn't read it to him, aloud, in public. I'd really like to see him "handle" that, aloud, in public.

Notice of Allegations Case No. 00231

May 20, 2015

Page No. 48

5. [NCAA Division I Manual Constitution 2.1.1, 2.8.1 and 6.01.1 (2002-03 through 2010-11)]

It is alleged that the scope and nature of the violations set forth in Allegation Nos.1 and 2 demonstrate that the institution violated the NCAA principles of institutional control and rules compliance when it failed to monitor the activities of Jan Boxill (Boxill), then philosophy instructor, director of the Parr Center for Ethics, women's basketball athletics academic counselor in the Academic Support Program for Student-Athletes (ASPSA) and chair of the faculty. Further, the institution exhibited a lack of institutional control in regard to the special arrangements constituting impermissible benefits athletics academic counselors and staff within African and Afro-American Studies (AFRI/AFAM) department provided to student-athletes. Specifically, individuals in the academic administration on campus, particularly in the college of arts and sciences, did not sufficiently monitor the AFRI/AFAM and ASPSA departments or provide appropriate supervision for these academic units and their staffs. The AFRI/AFAM department created anomalous courses that

Notice of Allegations Case No. 00231

May 20, 2015

Page No. 49

went unchecked for 18 years. This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball. Although the general student body also had access to the anomalous AFRI/AFAM courses, student-athletes received preferential access to these anomalous courses, enrolled in these anomalous courses at a disproportionate rate to that of the general student body and received other impermissible benefits not available to the general student body in connection with these courses.

Pine, the allegations are damning. They deserve something close tona death penalty. That to me is not the question. Whether the NCAA will do something strong and then stick to it is the question. I will believe that only when I see it actually happen. I truly believ ethe NCAA is trying to figure out how to get out of it gracefully

If this is the first report then UNC can't get the death penalty; that's only for repeat offenders (having been reported, acknowledged, and continued, a la SMU boostering).

If this is the first report then UNC can't get the death penalty; that's only for repeat offenders (having been reported, acknowledged, and continued, a la SMU boostering).

That's not exactly correct. The "Repeat Violator Rule" was enacted by the NCAA in 1985 as a "automatic" sentence of death to a program that has committed a second major infraction within five years of receiving a penalty for an initial major infraction in that same program. That does not mean the "Death Penalty" cannot be used in other situations.

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions (COI) can level whatever penalty/ies its deems appropriate given the violations it is presented by the NCAA. In UNC's case, the NCAA leveled FIVE Level One Infractions against UNC (including Lack of Institutional Control), and it covered more than 20 years and many programs including BB, FB, Baseball, Soccer, as well as Women's BB and Soccer. UNC's case is exceptionally unprecedented in both depth and breadth.

Per the NCAA, "The committee decides penalties case-by-case. Each case is unique, and applying case precedent is difficult (if not impossible) because all cases are different. Each case has its own aggravating and mitigating factors, and the committee considers both sides in assessing penalties."

In UNC's case, they basically lied to and misled the NCAA in its initial investigation, and then employed an effective stall tactic in August, when UNC self-reported a few new minor infractions involving women's BB and soccer. This gave UNC precious time to make a run at the Men's BB championship.

The COI is not Mark Emmert. It is an independent body comprising members that are "current or former presidents, chancellors, directors of athletics; former coaches; representatives from conference offices; faculty/staff; athletics administrators with compliance experience; and general public members who have formal legal training but who are not associated with a collegiate institution, conference, or professional or similar sports organization and who do not represent coaches or athletes in any way."

Current members are listed here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/committee-infractions

To be clear, if the "Death Penalty" is available (and it is), UNC has earned it. But the school can still be punished in a severe and lasting way, even if the DP is not used. We shall see.

Last edited:
That's not exactly correct. The "Repeat Violator Rule" was enacted by the NCAA in 1985 as a "automatic" sentence of death to a program that has committed a second major infraction within five years of receiving a penalty for an initial major infraction in that same program. That does not mean the "Death Penalty" cannot be used in other situations.

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions (COI) can level whatever penalty/ies its deems appropriate given the violations it is presented by the NCAA. In UNC's case, the NCAA leveled FIVE Level One Infractions against UNC (including Lack of Institutional Control), and it covered more than 20 years and many programs including BB, FB, Baseball, Soccer, as well as Women's BB and Soccer. UNC's case is exceptionally unprecedented in both depth and breadth.

Per the NCAA, "The committee decides penalties case-by-case. Each case is unique, and applying case precedent is difficult (if not impossible) because all cases are different. Each case has its own aggravating and mitigating factors, and the committee considers both sides in assessing penalties."
In UNC's case, they basically lied to and misled the NCAA in its initial investigation, and then employed an effective stall tactic in August, when UNC self-reported a few new minor infractions involving women's BB and soccer. This gave UNC precious time to make a run at the Men's BB championship.
The COI is not Mark Emmert. It is an independent body comprising members that are "current or former presidents, chancellors, directors of athletics; former coaches; representatives from conference offices; faculty/staff; athletics administrators with compliance experience; and general public members who have formal legal training but who are not associated with a collegiate institution, conference, or professional or similar sports organization and who do not represent coaches or athletes in any way."

Current members are listed here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/committee-infractions

To be clear, if the "Death Penalty" is available (and it is), UNC has earned it. But the school can still be punished in a severe and lasting way, even if the DP is not used. We shall see.

Pine, the third paragraph is exactly how they will let UNC get off the hook. IMHO. They are looking for and intend to find as many mitigating circumstances as possible.

Disagree. If you look at the instances where the NCAA applied the death penalty, all of them involved money. That's not what's being alleged here. This is more a souped up version of Florida St's music class scandal. Heavy sanctions, yes. Death penalty, no.

Actually no. What that really means is so much for this great misconception that TBS is an equal platform to CBS.
This, plus there were 3 versions of the game (Villanova focused, North Carolina focused, and main) on the 3 cable channels (TNT, TBS & Tru).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT