ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RU MLAX vs. Princeton Game Thread

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Gotta pay to see this one. Alleyne in goal for the start again.

Penalty filled game to start. We missed one on the doorstep. 0-0. We really have to work on our man up and down. Both are ranking low.

Not a great start for us. Having a lot of trouble clearing the ball.

0-1 Princeton. Half way through 1. Their goalie has 3 saves already.

Their goalie is saving everything. 6 saves in the first q.

1-0 Princeton end of 1st quarter.

2-1 Princeton. I don't want to call us in a shooting slump yet, but we are close.

2-2 at the half. Both goalies playing well. Our shooting seems off. Haven't seen the stats but our % is pretty low I am sure.

Princeton doesn't look good to me, as they seem to turn the ball over. It's a rivalry game though. Combine that with the weather there and you don't know what you are going to get.

I'd like to see us shoot better in the second half.

Two quick ones from Princeton 4-2.

Our long poles really need to stick some of these. They are getting free runs in transition and missing. 5-2. Not liking this.

What happened to the offense that teased in the first few games- typical RU overstatement or what? This is absurd.

Shooting Husky. We were finishing everything those first few games. Now we aren't. Teams are also sitting on the ball a lot more now.

4-6 Princeton to start the 4th.

4-7 Princeton off the faceoff. That one hurt. Stick side high. Alleyne seems to see the ball worse as the games go on instead of better.

This is why you need a shot clock in college lacrosse. 13:00 minutes left down 3 which feels like 10 the say teams can sit on the ball.

Make that 4-8. Don't want to call it but this is going to be tough.

9-6 after a turnover in our zone.

7:00 minutes left. Everything is going to have to go right to win this one.

Princeton is 1-3. Lost to Hofstra and was crushed by both Hopkins and Maryland. We are ranked.

Thought we had a good squad this year but these last 2 games exposed us for what we really are. Mediocre.

We are in a slump across the board. Offense, defense, and goalie.

You'd like to see our offense move the ball a little more instead of going 1 on 1 so consistently.

This one hurts. Princeton was there to be had. They are not a very good team. Certainly not the Princeton of old. Their goalie was hot but they turned the ball over a ton, and we were winning a lot of faceoffs.

They were absolutely destroyed by 2 B1G teams prior to this game, which makes league play tough. Was hoping the Stony Brook game was an anomaly, but it wasn't.

Final 10-7. That's 28 out of the last 29 for Princeton, bumping us from the rankings.

Congrats to them, they made more plays across the board then we did. 1 goal from our attack isn't going to win too many games.

I asked after the Stony Brook loss whether the team would finish above .500.Even more reason for concern now.

Maybe a little mental right now? Seems like they're just playing completely different than they were prior to being ranked.

Their confidence is rattled. It doesn't take much at this level. The goals and plays that were being made the first 5 games aren't happening now. Some bad penalties, a few shots that don't go, and a few saves that don't get made and all of a sudden you start questioning what you were.

Let's hope some of the goals start going that were. The team feeds off of it. We also need Edlemann back. Hopefully, he heals quickly. Hats of to Alleyne, he was Big East rookie of the year but he is in a tough spot with consistency.

Record is now 5-2. 7 games to play- next 4 in a row at home against NJIT, Delaware, Hopkins and Michigan. Then Maryland away, Penn State at home and at Ohio State to close out the season.

Five of those games are winnable:
NJIT is awful:0-8
Delaware is fair (3-5 so far-no significant wins)
Michigan got beat by UNC 20-10, by Brown 22-8 and to Penn.
Penn State is5-2 with wins over Hobart and Harvard
Ohio State is very mediocre with losses to Hofstra and UMass

Maryland and Hopkins -yeah, right.

Cali- what's your prediction?

Prediction? 1 at a time. Let's get the next one and go from there.

This season is the craziest season in lacrosse I have ever seen. Outside of Denver and maybe Notre Dame/Syracuse, everyone is beating everyone.

I thought Hopkins was very beatable as was Maryland two weeks ago. Now they are on fire. We lost to them by a goal each last year, I believe. And I would say we are much stronger than last year, or were playing that at least. Hopkins isn't what they were, but have seemed to turn it around and are playing great now. Penn St. looked really tough to start the season, then they looked horrible, then they beat #7 Harvard.

Michigan to me looks very beatable, as does Delaware, right now. I haven't seen either of those teams play well this season. But, I said the same thing about Princeton, so who knows.

One at a time is what I say. Let's get back on track with a convincing win against NJIT.

NJIT is just about a glorified scrimmage and we need it big time. They lost to P'ton 21-4; their other losses have been by the scores of 21-4 (to Lehigh), 19-5, 10-7, 19-4, 9-7, 12-5, 16-6. If the offense can't get healthy against that level of competition at home , then the problems on this team are far more serious than a mere slump.

No doubt. That should be a confidence booster. As should Delaware, frankly. We 'should' be able to put up numbers of them, but again, this is a crazy season. That same Umass team you reference just smacked UNC around.

But we are struggling, that's a fact. Let's put it down against NJIT and go from there.

There is a lot to work on, which is why NJIT is coming at the right time. The D needs to tighten up and communicate better. They were to start the season, then today there were a few breakdowns, as well as against Stony Brook. We can't have that.

I'd also like to see us raise our IQ collectively. A sign of youth, but we can't take penalties, especially at certain times of the game. We are a momentum team in a game that is built on teams going on runs, and for the second game in a row, we either didn't go on our own run, or grabbed the momentum and we commit a silly penalty and give it all away almost immediately.

Continuing to work on situational awareness is a good thing for the guys. We have the talent. They just have to keep working. The season is really two seasons. Our OOC schedule doesn't allow for ton of error. The next step is making the B1G tourney. The step beyond that is the NCAA tourney. To accomplish that goal, we are now going to need both Princeton and Stony Brook to do well in their leagues for our RPI, while doing well in the B1G. The B1G got three teams in the NCAA tourney last year and I could see that again, but we need those teams to do well for our RPI. One of SB or Princeton was acceptable, but two is going to make it hard without a little help.

Even so,everything is still out there. We need to finish OOC strong and get in gear for the B1G schedule. It's going to be a meatgrinder of its own.

I do like how it is setting up though home/away wise. We need to get back to playing our game though, and that all starts with the next one.

So far I am feeling sorry for my unbridled enthusiasm after the 1st 5 games.

Alleyne isnt going to win many games for us. The team plays better when the other goalie Edelman is in the crease as he starts the fast breaks that were so prevalent in the 1st 5 games.

Princeton is NOT a great team. Very beatable. Just not by us.
Then again their losses are to HOP, Md and Hofstra...all ranked teams

We should beat NJIT and Delaware.
But its entirely possibly those 2 are our last wins. Hopkins, Md, PSU are all solid ranked teams.
Mich might be winnable>>they beat DEL

I keep wondering where the Rutgers team is that beat Army...
Its likely to be yet another LONG season.

We were ranked above Penn St. in the latest poll, so I am not sure I would write that off yet. We get them at home too, which is good. Hopkins home too, as is Michigan. Maryland at Maryland is tough. Not sure what to make of OSU. They looked very beatable, played a couple of nice games, then looked bad again.

Big shout out to our fogo today, Alex Shoen. He went 13-21 today, besting a really, really good kid.

Key stats- we out shot them 41-28. We got more groundballs 40-31. We had one less turnover 12-13. Looking at those, along with the faceoff stats, had I not watched the game and just saw those, I would have thought we won.

Their goalie made a handful of more saves. Some of those just weren't great shots but some of them were great saves. The kid got hot at the wrong time for us. Sat. against Maryland he looked absolutely horrible.

A major key is goalie play and how he can direct the defense and influence upfield play after a play or having the ball in his possession. Edelman appears to be better in the nets and with overall field awareness. Hopefully he will be back and ready to play soon.

Reactions: gef21
I read the Hofstra game thread and this board was brutal. For this game it was calm and matter of fact. Not sure why but go back and read the two game threads and the comments are bipolar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT