ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Football

I love Les Miles. But why would he agree to come here?

He would cost at least 6 million a year and a much bigger budget for staff and a much bigger recruiting budget.

We don't have that kind of money and the Unions and their caulk and dimwitted "my tax money is paying for it" crowd and Trenton trying to make headlines would be very, very annoying and draining.

Also if he doesn't win big people here would lose their minds more than normal.

Trolls would posting crap like:

"Hahaha Rutgers spends $20 million on coaching and they still can't win the Big Ten!! The Big Ten should have picked Uconn instead, heehaw" - Uconntroll

Anyway, you get the idea

Sometimes I question the intelligence of this board...

So you want to hire a guy who is going to be 65 this year who has zero recruiting ties to the northeast and has had allegations of misconduct in his previous stop...

It’s one thing to recruit at and win at LSU, I don’t see how anyone can think that recruits will connect with and want to play for the Mad Hatter...

RU needs a younger guy with recruiting stain that can connect with kids and can bring in really good assistant coaches to develop players (something Ash has not done)
Did you say a younger guy with recruiting stain?
nbc_dps_lanekiffinint_171129_1920x1080.jpg

There will be other stains too, but recruiting will improve.

So you want to hire a guy who is going to be 65 this year who has zero recruiting ties to the northeast and has had allegations of misconduct in his previous stop...

It’s one thing to recruit at and win at LSU, I don’t see how anyone can think that recruits will connect with and want to play for the Mad Hatter...

RU needs a younger guy with recruiting stain that can connect with kids and can bring in really good assistant coaches to develop players (something Ash has not done)
Misconduct? Better do some research. SI was killed by that report.
Sports Illustrated was later criticized for its lack of substantive evidence outside of interviews with disgruntled former players.

Misconduct? Better do some research. SI was killed by that report.
Sports Illustrated was later criticized for its lack of substantive evidence outside of interviews with disgruntled former players.
So what does Les Miles bring to the table at 65? You think he will be able to recruit to RU? You think recruits will connect with him? You think he is a long term answer when he will Be in his 70s when his first class would be seniors?

Rutgers football has had 2 coaches in the last 35 years with winning records. The total margin over .500 of those two coaches, combined, is 4 games.

Since Frank Burns, RU football's winning percentage is .424 and our most successful coach as a function of winning percentage is Kyle Flood.

As an old business mentor of mine used to like to say, "Are we doing something wrong? Or... are we doing the wrong thing?"

Reactions: RUDiddy777
So what does Les Miles bring to the table at 65? You think he will be able to recruit to RU? You think recruits will connect with him? You think he is a long term answer when he will Be in his 70s when his first class would be seniors?
Les Miles can't recruit?? Nick Saban is a year older. Do you think he is done at 70??

Les Miles can't recruit?? Nick Saban is a year older. Do you think he is done at 70??
This is comical...you think recruiting success at LSU and Alabama translates to recruiting success at Rutgers?

Some schools sell them self...Rutgers is NOT ONE of those schools, Bama and LSU are..along with half the SEC and the top of the B1G

This is comical...you think recruiting success at LSU and Alabama translates to recruiting success at Rutgers?

Some schools sell them self...Rutgers is NOT ONE of those schools, Bama and LSU are..along with half the SEC and the top of the B1G
Yes. Les Miles recruited nationally. Coach Ash can't get NJ players. Do you think for a second Coach Ash is better in anything than Les Miles?

I'd sign up.

But is Miles likely to have skeletons in his closet for the ghouls at NJ.com to feast on for months/years, the minute he's signed? Don't know much about his background, but wondering if it's possible not to after coaching at NC level in the SEC.

I was wanting Les hired after Carr stepped down, and again after they fired Rich Rod. Think how different Michigan's fortunes would of been if 08 and on hadn't ever happened. We had been going to bowls yearly since the 70s. No losing seasons since the 60s. Never had major infractions vs the Football program. Michigan was the model of consistency.

Instead, we had several losing seasons. Bowl streak broken. NCAA violations.

All of it supposedly due to bad blood from some at Michigan vs Les. The rumor was that he had an affair with Gary Moeller's wife, and that was what caused the drunken episode that got him fired as head coach before Carr.

Who knows? From what I heard, Schembechler liked the guy, and if he had still been alive, Les would of gotten the job.

Is he too old now? I don't know. If he was up for it, I bet he would be a damn good get for Rutgers.

Reactions: fsg2
Grandy jury investigations of the coach keeps the reporters off the players. Just sayin.

So, in this week's series of other coaches RU fans gaze lovingly at, Steve Addazio came up, fresh off his win over Wake Forest. Someone even said he is a good recruiter:
Recruiting rankings BC
2013- 87
2014- 42
2015-46 (no 4*)
2016-83 (RU 78)
2017-66 (RU-43)
2018-71 (RU-58)
If Ash recruited this well in years 5 and 6, he would be run out of town. And people want to do that now.
Ash is really trying his best to pull a Flood impersonation by gutting his team’s depth with the high number of dropouts, arrests, etc. Those RU rankings in 2017 and 2018 probably wouldn’t look so rosey if adjusted.

You're missing the point.

The next 3 weeks will decide, in a very big way, the fate of this program.

Yes. Les Miles recruited nationally. Coach Ash can't get NJ players. Do you think for a second Coach Ash is better in anything than Les Miles?
Not at all, Ash sucks at recruiting...and doesn’t have the ability to bring in good assistant coaches that can truly develop lesser talent...

Again Les was able to recruit nationally because he was at an SEC power he was also a lot younger when he started there in 2005...LSU sells itself...

What Les did in recruiting at LSU has nothing to do with if he’d be successful at RU...plus I believe he was canned because even though recruiting was up he wasn’t able to translate that into championships

Rutgers needs a different coach, but it’s not a close to 70 year old former SEC guy that has been out of the game for a couple years

You're missing the point.

The next 3 weeks will decide, in a very big way, the fate of this program.
Not true at all...many will agree no matter what happens this year Ash will be the HC in 2019...

What will decide the medium term fate if he program is if Ash can’t concicne any B1G caliber OLine or DLine recruits to sign for the second consecutive year...which will impact success regardless of who the HC is in 2020-2022

Not at all, Ash sucks at recruiting...and doesn’t have the ability to bring in good assistant coaches that can truly develop lesser talent...

Again Les was able to recruit nationally because he was at an SEC power he was also a lot younger when he started there in 2005...LSU sells itself...

What Les did in recruiting at LSU has nothing to do with if he’d be successful at RU...plus I believe he was canned because even though recruiting was up he wasn’t able to translate that into championships

Rutgers needs a different coach, but it’s not a close to 70 year old former SEC guy that has been out of the game for a couple years
He played and coached in the Big Ten so please stop with that stupid arguement. He won a national title. Kids will want to play for him. He won't be expensive as he isnt making a lot as an analyst. Match what he is making at Fox and his is on the sidelines. He is 65, not 90. Don't know why you have your panties in a bunch about his age.

Been noodling over this for a while.

If we fail to meet expectations this year - by which, I mean we fail to hit the "over" on number of wins for the season - I think we should hire Les Miles.

He's got a B1G background, he had a history of winning at LSU. He's a recognizable name, so he would recruit well. And he's currently unemployed.

It will costs money, for certain. But I feel confident that, with the proper rationalization, Pat Hobbs could get the money from the big donors. Hell, I'd even kick up some extra coin for it.

And it would, once and for all (I think), settle the question of "what's our upper limit" in football.
Even if Ash exceeds expectations, I would can him in a heartbeat if Les Miles was a realistic option.

We go 6-6 this year and win a bowl game this talk all goes out the window.
We can tell zero about our progress from the first two games.
The next month to six weeks will be our barometer.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He played and coached in the Big Ten so please stop with that stupid arguement. He won a national title. Kids will want to play for him. He won't be expensive as he isnt making a lot as an analyst. Match what he is making at Fox and his is on the sidelines. He is 65, not 90. Don't know why you have your panties in a bunch about his age.
Love posters who open with "Sometimes I question the intelligence of this board..."

That's so persuasive.

I've been a season ticket holder for 31 years and probably donate more than you make.

So you can pretty much go f*ck yourself, as always.

Wow, you donate $10K per year? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Les is certainly an intriguing option and we've yet to ever hire a name coach and if Ash crashes, maybe that's the next thing we try. And if not Les, maybe the 3rd ranked available coach in this article...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ball-coaching-candidates-on-the-rise-in-2018/

Who exactly is recruiting the NE for Rutgers and where is the talent?

Time to revist this thread. Anyone change their mind in the last 24 hours?

I was undecided about Ash until I saw us play a team closer to our level. Now I'm not undecided. The offense did not get one bit better off season and the defense has seemingly regressed, injuries notwithstanding. There is no reason to think at this point that he can continue to build a better team going forward. He's not the answer.

I was undecided about Ash until I saw us play a team closer to our level. Now I'm not undecided. The offense did not get one bit better off season and the defense has seemingly regressed, injuries notwithstanding. There is no reason to think at this point that he can continue to build a better team going forward. He's not the answer.
Yeah, your sentiments echo mine. Guy doesn’t know how to be a head coach. Wasted two years on offense. Kids on that side of the ball don’t want to commit because he has no idea what kind of offense he wants to run. I said earlier in this thread that once half this season is over, it’s fair to judge his body of work. I even thought it’d be okay if we lost to Kansas. But this performance today shows everything.

Yet, he’s gonna be our coach for a long time coming. Need to just bite the bullet and find some way to support him as we continue to slide into oblivion.

Kiffin is a huge risk...but he would be a stud recruiter to RU especially with his Florida pipeline

Rutgers tries to be too politically correct in everything. There is ZERO chance we ever get Les Miles or Lane Kiffin...not even if they offered to coach for free.

Rutgers tries to be too politically correct in everything. There is ZERO chance we ever get Les Miles or Lane Kiffin...not even if they offered to coach for free.
Lane Kiffin is a goofball and Les Miles likes to eat grass but what would be politically incorrect about either?

I wouldn’t want Les Miles...I’d be ok with Kiffin but the board would have to be ok with becoming another football factory that places winning over integrity

I wouldn’t want Les Miles...I’d be ok with Kiffin but the board would have to be ok with becoming another football factory that places winning over integrity
Huh? Read my post above. Neither of them has integrity issues

Huh? Read my post above. Neither of them has integrity issues
Kiffin has huge integrity issues are you kidding me?

I wouldn’t want Les Miles because he is old and I don’t think recruits will connect with him, plus he wasn’t exactly a QB whisperer...

Kiffin has huge integrity issues are you kidding me?

I wouldn’t want Les Miles because he is old and I don’t think recruits will connect with him, plus he wasn’t exactly a QB whisperer...
Please name Kiffins integrity issues.
Miles is 2 years younger than Saban and can recruit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT