ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So Gundy joins Cutcliffe in turning down Tennessee - and now Doeren

They will bring Tee Martin home. The #Vols fans will pretend lime they are ecstatic about it but seem down they will know this is a disaster of epic proportions.

Reactions: MozRU
Tennessee's AD should just fall on his sword at this point. Nobody will work for him.

So what was the level of 'willingness to pay' that Tennessee revealed as a result of the brief Gundy dalliance?
$7.0 million per year ? ... $8.4 million per year ? - yep certainly are standing there pretty fully exposed in that regard - the whole world now knows that the big bags of money are definitely there -

and so far they have been turned down / ignored by
Gruden, Kelly, Mullen, Cutcliffe,Campbell, Gundy and Frost (?Frost may be a ? - seems UT got the message they were not his 1,2 or 3 choice), ... and who knows how many others simply will not pick up the phone when they see UT on the caller ID

There will be coaches who will take the job - but it is looking like there are a number of credible coaches who are now saying"pass" ... Possibly the fact that UT Admin so unprofessionally mangled the Schiano situation may scare them - they may think hey - in a matter of what ? - 4-6 hours UT spinelessly & carelessly flubbed this in a way that may have made it potentially impossible for a respectable experienced 51 year old coach to ever be in the running for an HC position again. Any savvy coaching candidate has to pause and say - can I trust them to have my back if I get unjustly smeared? The impression is that currently the UT environment is lacking in professionalism & integrity - fair or unfair - and many coaches will be unwilling to roll the dice with their career with a fickle Administration behind them.

Ya know, Urban Meyer, Chris Ash and Tom Herman should recommend this up-and-coming brilliant assistant coach for the position, Drew Mehringer.

Griffin is out of work, she might be interested in the job if they pay the big bucks

dunkin_on_ya.0.gif

I don't think those coaches passing on the job has anything to do with the Schiano fiasco.....they just like their other jobs and options better. UT targeted Schiano because he didn't have other options, and wouldn't have turned them down. same reason MSU went after Moorhead. getting turned down is a bad look....and now of course the optic is even worse but not UT's fault.

They will get a successful HC (or retread like Sumlin) or a very well-regarded assistant.

My top three for this job would be:

1. Art Briles
2. Hugh Freeze
3. Jerry Sandusky (provided he can get work release)

- Jim Tressel ? aren't there several posters relentlessly extolling his merits and insisting that he should be brought in to RU as the savior?

I don't think those coaches passing on the job has anything to do with the Schiano fiasco.....they just like their other jobs and options better. UT targeted Schiano because he didn't have other options, and wouldn't have turned them down. same reason MSU went after Moorhead. getting turned down is a bad look....and now of course the optic is even worse but not UT's fault.

They will get a successful HC (or retread like Sumlin) or a very well-regarded assistant.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. You almost never see so many reports come out of coaches saying "thanks but no thanks" like this. You can't ignore the context of what's been going on at Tennessee.

Paul Fienbaum show focuses on the SEC and spent some time on the Schiano thing recently.. as well as the Vols next steps... Feinbaum is a Vol, afaik. The eye candy on the show made some great points...

And here he is talking about it on the Dan Patrick show..

Stephen A Smith says GS royally screwed over.

Last edited:
Brohm, Purdue coach and Doeren, N C State coach are next. Doeren has improved NC State over 5 years to 8-4 in 2017. I don’t think Tenn fans wants to want 5 years to be above average.

02...some of those names turned down UT before Schiano...that fact alone refutes your premise. As far as we know,only one person turned them down since Sunday (Gundy).

UT won't have any problem getting a well regarded guy.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. You almost never see so many reports come out of coaches saying "thanks but no thanks" like this. You can't ignore the context of what's been going on at Tennessee.

Literally nothing that guy said sounded right.

Sure, they picked their head coach based on the idea he had no other options and couldn't say no. The "timid nerd gets a prom date" approach always wins titles.0

Drew Mehringer baby! Drew Mehringer - Chris Ash, Urban Meyer and Tom Herman can hook them up.

Serious question............ can they possibly tell Butch Jones it was just a early April Fool's joke gone horribly wrong... and just give him his key to the gym back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT