ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

Wheezer…yes it looks like MSU isnt sustaining the success from ‘21, but there’s nothing gimmicky about getting transfers. And there is no downside to winning.

I’m not even bitching about Schiano here. I’m only rejecting the absurd above view that a slow build is a good thing and/or better than a fast turnaround.

That truly is the absolute most ridiculous assertion I’ve ever seen. Better to lose now than win now. JFC.
The Veruca Salt of The KnightReport ^^^^^

giphy.gif

Wheezer…yes it looks like MSU isnt sustaining the success from ‘21, but there’s nothing gimmicky about getting transfers. And there is no downside to winning.

I’m not even bitching about Schiano here. I’m only rejecting the absurd above view that a slow build is a good thing and/or better than a fast turnaround.

That truly is the absolute most ridiculous assertion I’ve ever seen. Better to lose now than win now. JFC.
Poor choice of words on my part, that’s all. You are carrying on like a school girl on her period.
we had a set back with Gleason that to HCGS credit took decisive action at the right time. We now have nunz as our OC and based on what I saw first time around from nunz I believe he can get it done. We will know more after Saturday.

Awfully quiet from the Leopold is the GOAT crowd.

0-1 three weeks in a row, losing to a weak Baylor today.

So far, Leopold is 3-11 in conference, the same number of conference wins Greg had in his first season back. This is great coaching?

But, but, but, he had Kansas ranked!!
Nope mentioned it in the games thread. Didn’t watch the game much…was watching more of the cuse game and ours. They were down 28-3 cam back and closed it to 28-23 and then Baylor scored to close it 35-23. Like I said they could lose the rest of their games but if they’re competing in most of them, it’s a good season. I still don’t rule out #6.

Also Elko who I like got win #5 today in Miami. Won’t rule out 6 for him in year 1 either. All the NIL money really helping Miamj lol. 8 TOs for Miami hah.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Kansas is a nice story. I’m pulling for them. At the same time, some of our fans treating Leipold like Nick Saban was hilarious.

Reactions: RU848789
Kansas is a nice story. I’m pulling for them. At the same time, some of our fans treating Leipold like Nick Saban was hilarious.
Bump ... It’s time to close this thread, given today’s Oklahoma State / Kansas game.

So back after Ash got fired we were all throwing out our picks for who should be Head coach. Schiano was the board favorite from the get go and others had their favorites, most of which only got traction with one or a few people. My pick was Lance Leipold, Who now is head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks. I saw what he achieved at Buffalo and researched his background while he was at Wisconsin-Whitewater. The guy has been a winner at every stop.
I think it will be interesting to see the progression of Rutgers v. Kansas under Schiano and Leipold respectively. I will be very interested to see how their programs compare over the coming years.

They are both about the same age and have been involved in College football for about the same amount of time. They both are cosidered "builders" of programs. I think both coaches are great coaches with differeing skill sets so this will be an interesting way to look at how both of them "build" their programs over the coming years.

Anybody else interested in seeing how this pans out over the next few years? Anybody got color on this horserace?
You were right.

I also wanted Leipold, if not KC Keeler. I had followed him since he took over at Whitewater. Has done a great job there as well as Buffalo and Kansas. Should be interesting how he does after getting that extension.

What could’ve been at Rutgers with a fresh set of eyes with championship HC experience.

Leipold is a top notch coach, but even his squad got smoked by 40+ points by a freshman led Texas team when the Jayhawk QB couldn't play this last weekend. It all comes down to the QB room at RU. The team would look so much better with a little more experience or talented or developed QB. It's on the coaches for not having this position solidified in year three, but we'll get there. NIL is far more of a concern to me than our coaches. Not sure RU and schools like RU can compete in this brave new world. NIL definitely lowered our ceiling.

I’m a believer in GS but Politi’s article this week was spot on

While Illinois and Maryland were busy nearly pulling off monumental upsets, Rutgers was getting destroyed

The gap between Rutgers and other B1G programs has widened this season

Reactions: brgRC90
Leipold is a top notch coach, but even his squad got smoked by 40+ points by a freshman led Texas team when the Jayhawk QB couldn't play this last weekend. It all comes down to the QB room at RU. The team would look so much better with a little more experience or talented or developed QB. It's on the coaches for not having this position solidified in year three, but we'll get there. NIL is far more of a concern to me than our coaches. Not sure RU and schools like RU can compete in this brave new world. NIL definitely lowered our ceiling.
That freshman QB at Texas began his career at Ohio State, I believe. Definitely not chopped liver. Maybe the next Joe Burrows.

I cannot see greg going to the hinterlands of Nebraska from NJ unless their is a substantial increase in what they want to pay him. I can see Greg leaving for an elite program but that offer is in the future after he resurrects Rutgers for the 2nd time.
An elite program, never happens, an example?
Tennessee was the only team that wanted him
until the fans said hell no.

Last edited:
I cannot see greg going to the hinterlands of Nebraska from NJ unless their is a substantial increase in what they want to pay him. I can see Greg leaving for an elite program but that offer is in the future after he resurrects Rutgers for the 2nd time.
1. What elite program is going to want GS?

2. If he leaves Rutgers again under those conditions after the fans damm near rioted to have him here, it will show how hypocritical he is…

Again.

That freshman QB at Texas began his career at Ohio State, I believe. Definitely not chopped liver. Maybe the next Joe Burrows.
Want he a Five Star QB from Texas? One of them will eventually become as successful on the college level one of these days. Lol.

I am surprised he’s not at nebraska or Wisconsin right now

Hobbs may get his wet dream and get to hire him

Guy can coach offense. He’s won everywhere he’s been. I expect he will win bigger at Kansas than he’s doing now.

Briles is a great OC. These are what modern offenses look like.
Nice turnaround for Leipold, but this was year 2, and the only decent team Kansas beat was Duke.

Kendal Briles is a great OC. The type of OC Greg needs to hire and let him run the offense without meddling.

I said this earlier in the thread and I’ll say again…Is this even a debate anymore?

I said this earlier in the thread and I’ll say again…Is this even a debate anymore?
2 seasons does not make the case. Losing record after 2 seasons in P5. 8-17/4-14. Yes, the issue is debatable. Can we wait until seasons 3 and 4 before crowing victory? Or are we giving moral victories for playing exciting football games.

2 seasons does not make the case. Losing record after 2 seasons in P5. 8-17/4-14. Yes, the issue is debatable. Can we wait until seasons 3 and 4 before crowing victory? Or are we giving moral victories for playing exciting football games.

Im not making the case based on two seasons. I’m looking at his entire career.

Guy has 6 national championships and has won everywhere he’s gone.

Im not making the case based on two seasons. I’m looking at his entire career.

Guy has 6 national championships and has won everywhere he’s gone.
Please stop with the 6 national championships. Wisconsin Whitewater is glorified HS ball.
We have a long list of coaches who could not make the leap from even the G5 to the P5 and maintain success. I have nothing against Leipold. He appears to be a fine coach, and he is doing a decent job at Kansas. But against the stiffer competition in the final 3 games of the regular season, Kansas lost by 15, 31 and 20 points against 2 unranked teams and Kansas State.

He has not won everywhere he has gone. He is at Kansas and has not won. He's 8-17/4-14.

Schiano 2.0 was 8-14/5-13 in his first two seasons at Rutgers. Those are better winning percentages and more wins in a much tougher conference.

So yes, it's debatable. And I am not a huge Greg fan, nor am I a Greg non-fan. I'm objective. But getting impatient with the OC situation.

Reactions: redking and Dpgru
Fair enough but this year shouldn’t really move the needle much

Taking a winless team 2 years ago to a bowl game this year…is a pretty remarkable feat for Kansas.

We’d build a shrine for Greg of his turnaround was that quick.

I’m not saying he’s “Nick saban” but there’s no comparison between his career and Gregs.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
I like him but without liking I’d imagine he’s killed it with JUCO’s. We don’t do JUCO’s. Guy can flat out coach though

Please stop with the 6 national championships. Wisconsin Whitewater is glorified HS ball.
We have a long list of coaches who could not make the leap from even the G5 to the P5 and maintain success. I have nothing against Leipold. He appears to be a fine coach, and he is doing a decent job at Kansas. But against the stiffer competition in the final 3 games of the regular season, Kansas lost by 15, 31 and 20 points against 2 unranked teams and Kansas State.

He has not won everywhere he has gone. He is at Kansas and has not won. He's 8-17/4-14.

Schiano 2.0 was 8-14/5-13 in his first two seasons at Rutgers. Those are better winning percentages and more wins in a much tougher conference.

So yes, it's debatable. And I am not a huge Greg fan, nor am I a Greg non-fan. I'm objective. But getting impatient with the OC situation.
Please don’t compare wining 6 NC’s to glorified HS ball.

Why do you want me to stop with the 6 national championships?

Guy has 6!!!!!!

Much more successful coach than Greg and it’s no debatable. I’m sorry. Goodnight

He’s done better than Greg most of his career
At his first 3 years at MAC Buffalo, Leipold was:
13-23 (36.1%)/8-16 (33.3%) in the MAC

Greg after 3 seasons:
12-20 (37.5%) /6-20 (23.1%) in the B1G East.

Objectively, I'd take Greg not knowing the names of the two coaches and only considering the conferences and the records after 3 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT