ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

I don't have specifics, but my wife tells me we are killing it with precious metals and mining stocks.

Gold is apparently at record highs and some are predicting a breakout.

I bought in fairly recently as a hedge, and it's up a tiny bit. I'd prefer the the market just kicks back into gear and I'll sell, but in the meantime I have a couple gold stocks and a treasury stock to maintain some level of stability.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Gold is apparently at record highs and some are predicting a breakout.

I bought in fairly recently as a hedge, and it's up a tiny bit. I'd prefer the the market just kicks back into gear and I'll sell, but in the meantime I have a couple gold stocks and a treasury stock to maintain some level of stability.
I have little idea what we are invested in, and my wife and I and our broker have periodic conversations--everything is trending up, so I don't dig in.

Reactions: RU-05
Not sure about you saying there are many more companies with better risk reward profiles based on market , since I highly doubt any of them have the low risk / high reward of Cydy. The reward is through the roof. Not many stocks like that especially in this crisis.

Look, I hope Cyto gets approval, goes through the roof and you're richly rewarded. Patients will benefit and that is really what this is all about.

Like I said, not trying to crap on it. But I do know a little bit about this subject. Actually pretty successful at it. Hem/Onc is my specialty. Analyzing biotechs and making recommendations. Their risk reward isn't what you're making it out to be. Their science is tailor fit for virals and I do think they will get indications on that therapeutic area. But before covid, they were languishing as an OTC stock. There's a good reason for that. They are unproven in cancer and are a long way off for Alzheimer's and NASH. These two indications are some of the most difficult diseases to treat. Based on virals alone, the market is small - sorry but I do not think they are making 9B off covid. With vaccines and the nature of the disease, which is people eventually develop herd immunity, I highly doubt the total market would be 9B for covid. And there are plenty of players in the covid space right now - Sorrento, BSGM, even big dogs like Regeneron, have promising candidates for covid.

Again, I hope I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first). But I'm just cautioning on this stock. Don't want fellow alumns to lose their shirt on it. In the end, do your own due diligence. But do be careful.

Look, I hope Cyto gets approval, goes through the roof and you're richly rewarded. Patients will benefit and that is really what this is all about.

Like I said, not trying to crap on it. But I do know a little bit about this subject. Actually pretty successful at it. Hem/Onc is my specialty. Analyzing biotechs and making recommendations. Their risk reward isn't what you're making it out to be. Their science is tailor fit for virals and I do think they will get indications on that therapeutic area. But before covid, they were languishing as an OTC stock. There's a good reason for that. They are unproven in cancer and are a long way off for Alzheimer's and NASH. These two indications are some of the most difficult diseases to treat. Based on virals alone, the market is small - sorry but I do not think they are making 9B off covid. With vaccines and the nature of the disease, which is people eventually develop herd immunity, I highly doubt the total market would be 9B for covid. And there are plenty of players in the covid space right now - Sorrento, BSGM, even big dogs like Regeneron, have promising candidates for covid.

Again, I hope I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first). But I'm just cautioning on this stock. Don't want fellow alumns to lose their shirt on it. In the end, do your own due diligence. But do be careful.
Appreciate the cautionary advice, as it is based on sound reasoning. My point is the stock was incredibly cheap, but because of its potential indications , not just Covid, the reward would be worth it. They already secured manufacturing deal with Samsung to really scale up production, and late yesterday announced a distribution deal with American Regent, a NY company , a top 10 company in distribution of injectables. Their M2M trial is complete and data is being collected and organized for presentation to the FDA . They seem to have their ducks in order and soon ,within a month, we will likely know if the FDA approves Leronlimab . If so, it will be used not just in hospital settings , but doctors offices to prevent you getting worse and on the road to recovery.

Reactions: RU-05
Just ran the 2Q numbers and the portfolio in flat YTD. Feel good about that.
I jumped in just after the market started to run in late March and wasn't fully invested until mid April, but I am up on my full investment 22%. Was up near 40% before the early June dip, fell hard then and have been treading water since. Been working on cleaning up the portfolio. Hopefully I've learned some lessons from the past 3 weeks.

$9B next year? LOL. Of that were even remotely possible, remotely, they'd have been acquired already. Full stop.

Reactions: patk89
As I continue to advise on stocks that are OTC, NASDQ .....figure out what you are/were going to spend on your vacation with the Wife this year and use that money.

When you get a run in one or even two, sell out of your original investment so that you have NO money at risk.

If you can get another run sell out 25 % of your remaining stock, so that you lock in a profit, NO matter what happens later.

Be a bull or a bear, but don't be a pig....

As I continue to advise on stocks that are OTC, NASDQ .....figure out what you are/were going to spend on your vacation with the Wife this year and use that money.

When you get a run in one or even two, sell out of your original investment so that you have NO money at risk.

If you can get another run sell out 25 % of your remaining stock, so that you lock in a profit, NO matter what happens later.

Be a bull or a bear, but don't be a pig....
Heard a good philosophy the other day on profit taking, though it relates more to investments then trading.

Don't let a stock get bigger then 5% of your portfolio, if it does increase over that % you trim. This was in relation to Tesla and how it kept jumping through that 5% threshold of this guys portfolio.

Now that seems to make more sense when one stock is running significantly faster then others, would make less sense when only one stock is performing while most of the others are struggling. Wouldn't make as much sense to trim the lone(or few) stocks doing well.

Sold some of my BDX pre market, FDA approved 15 minutes Covid 19 test. Sold my AAPL also this morning.

Sold some of my BDX pre market, FDA approved 15 minutes Covid 19 test. Sold my AAPL also this morning.
Not stocks per say, but made adjustments to our accounts this weekend, pushing more into growth funds (index and managed).

Reactions: R1766U
We must stop looking at Tesla as good or bad at 1K.
Decide how much of your capital you're willing to invest in TSLA and go buy "some" now. If Biden wins and stocks fall, buy some more. Geopolitical event pounds stocks, buy some more. You get a nice bonus, buy some more. Maybe in a year or two you'll have your full TSLA allocation. Don't sell it just because it doubles. Money will be made by those who hold. Valuations are useless to look at when in comes to someone like Musk.

The only risk to the market is when republicans decide to be fiscal conservatives again. Keep the printer on and the market will keep going up.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
R's may talk a big game of being fiscal conservatives, but that shipped sailed a long time ago. Might as well party until the cops break it up!

If Biden wins don't worry all the Republicans will once again claim to want to balance the budget.

Reactions: Greg2020
R's may talk a big game of being fiscal conservatives, but that shipped sailed a long time ago. Might as well party until the cops break it up!
I'm waiting for the SALT restriction to be lifted. I will spend money like it's 2006.

Reactions: Greg2020
Any article and any advice anyone sees/reads you MUST take into account the election looming. EVERYTHING is about either Trump or Biden and which one wins.

I have eliminated ALL debt that I had/have and am now looking for ways to be ready either way the voters go...

Cuomo fouling up electric power generation for the entire State of NY ?
I'm adding solar everything, anything. Second amendment ? I'm stocked up already and I continue to do so. Temporary food shortages or restrictions on how many rolls of toilet paper you can buy ? There are food companies that deliver food in packets that have a guaranteed (yeah I won't be around in 25 years, but someone might) shelf life of 25 + years. TP can be stored in your attic and it acts as insulation till needed. I'm not a nut job survivalist, but I am taking measures that are consistent with what "our" politicians are likely to throw our way.

Who knew that Vitamin D was necessary to help combat a world wide Pandemic ? I've got lots of D and we take it every day. Blood pressure high ? Lost 30 lbs and it went down. What a discovery ! and another discovery, my blood sugar went down as well ! Cut my BP and my diabetic meds in half (always check with your Dr first ((Laura Ingraham))), man I'm a 'science and data' man !

Last edited:
I once again have to thank whoever was recommending NVAX a couple months back. Grabbed a handful at 12. Just broke triple digits today on the news of a 1.6bn grant from fedgov for their vaccine production.

Any article and any advice anyone sees/reads you MUST take into account the election looming. EVERYTHING is about either Trump or Biden and which one wins.

I have eliminated ALL debt that I had/have and am now looking for ways to be ready either way the voters go...

Cuomo fouling up electric power generation for the entire State of NY ?
I'm adding solar everything, anything. Second amendment ? I'm stocked up already and I continue to do so. I'm not a nut job survivalist, but I am taking measures that are consistent with what "our" politicians are likely to throw our way.
You should've waited. Biden would probably give you a big tax break on solar and assault rifles will go on sale before the ban goes in place. I remembered K-mart had a huge sale on AK47s after Bill Clinton passed the assault weapon ban in 1994.

Have you tried to resale?

It will be used as "barter" if we keep moving the way we are moving.

One box of .22 LR for a goat. (there's a guy on SH 34N in Colts Neck that sells goats)
One box of .9MM for a cow/steer. .9mm being more valuable .

Heck, Mary Anne's Dentist she worked for in NJ is already bartering.
He gives his MD (after all Dentists aren't 'real Docs' ).free dental and the MD gives his family free health care. Guy that does his lawn, they trade lawn cuts for cleanings. Barber same thing.

Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT