ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Greed it was what made my day back in 'the day'....

More trades you did the more I made.

Have fun.

IF you have money in small caps and it concerns you AT ALL, you have too much money in that percentage of your investment portfolio.

I tell the story of being at AC for a fight. Checking out sent Mary Anne for my valeted car. Found a $100 chip in my pocket. Line at cashiers was long on Sun AM and we were due back in Manasquan for Pop Warner. So Crap table by door. $100 come and I figure it's gone. Turns out a guy from my firm held the dice and he was KNOWN to be lucky. Suffice it to say in an hour I was up $ 3,000. The line was down and I cashed out. Mary Anne was still waiting in the car at the entrance and she was PO"ED major league. I counted out 15 $100s and dropped them on her thru the sun roof. Everything was then fine and we still made the Pop Warner game.

Small caps stocks are like betting on the Craps table.
Nah, I originally went in at about 2% of my portfolio on Gnus, but these other guys I'm at like .2%. So I'm definitely not putting myself too far out there.

But these small trades of penny stocks (which do have some big potential upside even on a small buy), allow me to dig around looking for new stocks which I find to be the most enjoyable part of this, aside from the gains of course.

Finding these little ones that are actually real is fun.

When I used to trade E-mini's, once I had my trades in the morning. i would browse around looking for interesting companies. It helped to pass the time till your were either out or you had to close them out if nothing had executed prior to the close in Chicago.

Looks like I went with the wrong IPO.

I'm down 7% on NKLA.

Meanwhile ZI is up 66%.

What last recession?
:)
All joking aside. The ups and downs won’t impact anyone that’s retiring 15+ years from now. But what about all the retired people? They shouldn’t be forced to take risk to get a return. They can’t recover from one bad sell off. I do feel bad for them.

All joking aside. The ups and downs won’t impact anyone that’s retiring 15+ years from now. But what about all the retired people? They shouldn’t be forced to take risk to get a return. They can’t recover from one bad sell off. I do feel bad for them.
Retired folks shouldn't be seeking to maximize returns. Modest returns with security is the focus. But yes, zero interest rates definitely hurt retirees.

So would you prefer that we return to Jimmy Carter 12 % AAA Triple Tax Exempt Bonds ?

Investing is risk taking. Just like walking on wet sand or was it dry sand that Calif was threatening arrest if you were on it ?

Retired people should have had a chance to build towards retirement. Some did and some didn't.

I like working a couple of days a week rather than babysitting 7 days a week.

Retired folks shouldn't be seeking to maximize returns. Modest returns with security is the focus. But yes, zero interest rates definitely hurt retirees.
It also slows down investment if our interest rates AND labor costs are higher than the other parts of the world with an available work force.
So pick your poison..

Reactions: T2Kplus10
So would you prefer that we return to Jimmy Carter 12 % AAA Triple Tax Exempt Bonds ?

Investing is risk taking. Just like walking on wet sand or was it dry sand that Calif was threatening arrest if you were on it ?

Retired people should have had a chance to build towards retirement. Some did and some didn't.

I had been semi retired for 4.5 years until full retirement last month. I was lucky/smart enough to have invested over decades so I’m not worried at all but if a retiree or soon to be retiree is at the margin, then that could be a concern. I have a 75/25 asset allocation, which many would say is aggressive for my age, but I’m fine with it and the decades of investing have provided me with enough assets. My advice to all is to save/invest regularly and start early. Waiting too long can make it tough to catch up and build a sufficient nest egg.

Lastly, it is always good to build up your financial literacy. It’s amazing to me how many otherwise smart people are clueless when it comes to personal finance.

Last edited:
Just bought 200 shares of TMDI for .74 cents.

Titan medical, makes robotics, and interface, for medical.

Already up 140% in extended hours off news of an agreement with Medtronics.

Edit:I should have waited as it opened in 60's, but I think I still like the buy.
Strong late finish, closes at 1.57, so I was up 115% at the bell, but it is down in extended hours to $1.24.

Think I'm going to go in a bit heavier.

Htz was up 83% today to $1.50. Not something I would look to carry for more then a day, and I fully expect that to come down in the days ahead, but on a good market day, if you see htz below a dollar, I think you can make some money there.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If anyone likes to play the support resistance game. EHTH has bounced off a $130 ish resistance line about 5 times in the last 3 months.

I keep thinking it's ready for a breakout but then it once again drops from $130 down to $115.

I am recently retired and am not looking to make a killing in the market or depend on the market for retirement funds (other than our 401k). But I have been having fun investing a few thousand in my E-trade account on mostly healthcare stocks.

Have been doing quite well but then again, who hasn't? If I lose, I lose. But it does pass the time.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Have been doing quite well but then again, who hasn't? If I lose, I lose. But it does pass the time.
The drop in the market, which paved the way for the rebound in the market, plus the lack of sports which opened up a ton of time in my attention schedule, has been a perfect storm for me.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Looks like I went with the wrong IPO.

I'm down 7% on NKLA.

Meanwhile ZI is up 66%.

The stock you needed to buy was VTIQ who merged with NKLA. That stock has skyrocketed lately due to merger and looking to compete with TSLA

Reactions: RU-05
Just sold my Amazon. Why? Although I see it as a long term monster, in the short term it is just moseying along. After a spiking off the bottom they've been pretty flat since. Up just 5% over the last 30 days. That ranks in the bottom quarter of my portfolio.

Better opportunities out there in the short term..

The stock you needed to buy was VTIQ who merged with NKLA. That stock has skyrocketed lately due to merger and looking to compete with TSLA
Well you are right but like me you are also kind of wrong.

VTIQ became NKLA, so it was not an IPO, or at least not a traditional one. The run came before I got in, but I think there is still a lot of room there.

Do note I do not look too strongly at fundamentals, I'm just running with a futuristic vision where electric and fuel cell vehicles are the norm.

I do like the Anheuser Busch deal and we will see if they come out with some more big contracts going fwd.

Reactions: RUBlackout

of course not. But you don't have choices when rates are zero. I'm not even talking about people with no savings. Mo money mo problems.

I had been semi retired for 4.5 years until full retirement last month. I was lucky/smart enough to have invested over decades so I’m not worried at all but if a retiree or soon to be retiree is at the margin, then that could be a concern. I have a 75/25 asset allocation, which many would say is aggressive for my age, but I’m fine with it and the decades of investing have provided me with enough assets. My advice to all is to save/invest regularly and start early. Waiting too long can make it tough to catch up and build a sufficient nest egg.

Lastly, it is always good to build up your financial literacy. It’s amazing to me how many otherwise smart people are clueless when it comes to personal finance.
+1
Save as much as possible and live below your means. It's not complicated, but it takes discipline.

The KOs, PEPs, PGs, CLs, WMTs, COSTs,Vs, FBs, JNJs, etc...are more my speed compared to some of the names I see here in this thread and in past threads. Too risky for me. I think I mentioned DIS in the 80s would be a good spot to nibble when everything was tanking and that's had a nice run. I guess I’m alone in the shallow end of the pool of large cap/megacap names lol.
No you are not alone, i invest in companies I know, believe in and put most of my money in the 500 index funds, I am a Warren Buffet guy. I will not touch them for at least 10 years. I use Merrill Lynch associated w/ BOA, unlimited free trades by the way.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
No you are not alone, i invest in companies I know, believe in and put most of my money in the 500 index funds, I am a Warren Buffet guy. I will not touch them for at least 10 years. I use Merrill Lynch associated w/ BOA, unlimited free trades by the way.
Yea I assume most people have money in index funds/ETFs and mutual funds etc..I have them too, some fixed income, structured products etc..

But I meant just the money "on the side" or whatever you want to call it that people trade for themselves for fun or whatever. I generally stick with the large/megacap stocks but I've seen marijuana stocks, silver names in the past and names like in this thread and a bunch of small cap or maybe even microcrap names. Totally out of my realm of trading...the most "speculative" kind of names I've traded would be a UAA at times or even a hated GE occasionally and even those are kind of aberrations for me.

The market is begging to grow with any good news. Make sure you are in when news breaks on the first successful vaccine. The market will be at new record highs.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
of course not. But you don't have choices when rates are zero. I'm not even talking about people with no savings. Mo money mo problems.

A millionaire friend of mine says about the 'stress' of having money.

"If you don't like it, you can always give it away."

A millionaire friend of mine says about the 'stress' of having money.

"If you don't like it, you can always give it away."
That's a new one. I guess there is having money vs there is having "it's only money" money.

The good news is that we all just got a little more money with the jobs number. These economic forecasts are terrible. How do you miss by 10mm jobs?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Just bought 200 shares of TMDI for .74 cents.

Titan medical, makes robotics, and interface, for medical.

Already up 140% in extended hours off news of an agreement with Medtronics.

Edit:I should have waited as it opened in 60's, but I think I still like the buy.
Down to 1.04. Get in?

That's a new one. I guess there is having money vs there is having "it's only money" money.

The good news is that we all just got a little more money with the jobs number. These economic forecasts are terrible. How do you miss by 10mm jobs?
Oops on the jobs forecast.

Reactions: Caliknight

Did you see their Covid death predictions? Madame Cankles in a landslide? American modeling is dead.

Did you see their Covid death predictions? Madame Cankles in a landslide? American modeling is dead.
True. My theory is that because finance industry is concentrated in NYC area, all the forecasters are skewed because they are projecting how bad it is in the Northeast to the rest of the country.

Interesting fact about the job numbers. Most of the gains are in hospitality sector. That’s surprising because no one is traveling no matter where you are in the country. Could be the PPP effect.

Sell now with 200 shares and you can move up from a 'regular' Jersey Mike's # 5 to a "Giant"...

Interesting fact about the job numbers. Most of the gains are in hospitality sector. That’s surprising because no one is traveling no matter where you are in the country. Could be the PPP effect.
It's not, as described in another thread.

True. My theory is that because finance industry is concentrated in NYC area, all the forecasters are skewed because they are projecting how bad it is in the Northeast to the rest of the country.

Fauci making models for economic recovery now, following the "science"..

Reactions: bac2therac
IF you think you REALLY NEED this thing, put it down and come back the next day, do you still NEED IT ? Much of the time you don't.....and if you do it's likely going on sale sometime in the future.
Great advice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT