ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Funny, I sold it short just before the split, then covered shortly after with a little under 10% gain when people figured out that the total value of the company was unaffected. I have no idea why the stock is where it is, so I stay away except for the obvious like the run-up pre-split.
In July it was up 500% from November and now up 900%. The 5-1 split and joining the S&P didn’t hurt.

Anyone buy Tesla last year? I never brought it since it seems overprice even last year. In July, my nephew mentioned he brought it last November and still has it. I won’t mention the amount because you won’t believe it. The stock is up over 900% in a year. I have to find out why he brought so much. He lives in NY and hasn’t driven a car in several years.
I put my 7 and 9 year old's savings (birthday/Christmas money, nothing crazy) in it back in February as a more exciting option than having it sit in a useless savings account. Wish I did the same with my money lol.

I put my 7 and 9 year old's savings (birthday/Christmas money, nothing crazy) in it back in February as a more exciting option than having it sit in a useless savings account. Wish I did the same with my money lol.
Since Feb, you made 400-500% on your return. It’s hard to buy a stock with a 1,000 P/E. His best friend from HS works at Goldman Sachs so I would assume he knew about the split that was coming.

I've loaded up on GE. Been holding 1000 since last year and bough another 4,000 at 10.15 last week. Lots of positive balance sheet news for GE lately. I think that it gets to $12 in the next couple of months

In July it was up 500% from November and now up 900%. The 5-1 split and joining the S&P didn’t hurt.

Joining the S&P makes sense because of the ETF and mutual fund impact but the split is a non-event that I made money on going the other way. Right now it's priced for absolute perfection but rarely are things that perfect.

BTW - Musk just announced he's moved to Texas.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Joining the S&P makes sense because of the ETF and mutual fund impact but the split is a non-event that I made money on going the other way. Right now it's priced for absolute perfection but rarely are things that perfect.

BTW - Musk just announced he's moved to Texas.
I and probably everyone else thought it was priced for perfection last year and then it go up 900%. The price makes no sense but that’s a lot of stocks. I believe I saw an upgrade with a significant increase just a few weeks ago. Crazy

I owned 200shs in TSLA from 2017 to 2018 and sold for. $600 profit..dumb dumb dumb

I then bought back and own 200shs again this year but bought in august for a hefty sum. Still up around $50k on that Investment butthe missed Oppty kicks me everyday

Anyone buy Tesla last year? I never brought it since it seems overprice even last year. In July, my nephew mentioned he brought it last November and still has it. I won’t mention the amount because you won’t believe it. The stock is up over 900% in a year. I have to find out why he brought so much. He lives in NY and hasn’t driven a car in several years.
I bought it in spring of this year at around $700, just days before Musk said the stock was "too expensive", at which point it dipped to whatever but then rebounded in short order. Sold at around $1000. So I did very well in normal conditions, but missed out on a huge run afterwards.

As a new investor these growth stocks that trade WAY above normal valuations is pretty interesting. I'm in on a few currently.

I bought it in spring of this year at around $700, just days before Musk said the stock was "too expensive", at which point it dipped to whatever but then rebounded in short order. Sold at around $1000. So I did very well in normal conditions, but missed out on a huge run afterwards.

As a new investor these growth stocks that trade WAY above normal valuations is pretty interesting. I'm in on a few currently.
Growth funds are the way to go. Been a great year! We upped our investment targets and goals.

I've loaded up on GE. Been holding 1000 since last year and bough another 4,000 at 10.15 last week. Lots of positive balance sheet news for GE lately. I think that it gets to $12 in the next couple of months
A very bearish outlook. 🐻
😀

Kind of serious.

That's fine if you like leaving money on the table. 😁
I have a 95% chance of beating you! I like those odds. FYI, I have been more active with my passive investing. Rotated back into the R2K at the right time! On a roll.

I have a 95% chance of beating you! I like those odds. FYI, I have been more active with my passive investing. Rotated back into the R2K at the right time! On a roll.
And who is making those odds? I put those odds at less then 40%. 😆

What are you holding on the R2K? The UVM? And what is the weighting in your portfolio?

Last edited:
And who is making those odds? I put those odds at less then 40%. 😆

What are you holing on the R2K? The UVM? And what is the weighting in your portfolio?
Moved out of international about 3-4 years ago, then went about 50% into growth in the summer of 2019, then popped my small/mids a little over a month ago. Trying to ride the big waves and market trends. So far so good.

For small/mid caps, went from only 5% to about 20% now.

Moved out of international about 3-4 years ago, then went about 50% into growth in the summer of 2019, then popped my small/mids a little over a month ago. Trying to ride the big waves and market trends. So far so good.

For small/mid caps, went from only 5% to about 20% now.
A lot of talk on the CNBC about int'l, namely emerging markets, being a good bet at the moment.

A lot of talk on the CNBC about int'l, namely emerging markets, being a good bet at the moment.
I am tracking a few international funds, but the only one really popping is Vanguard International Growth:
VWIGX (about +50% YTD)

About 5% of my portfolio is this fund and a little EEM (+20%'ish). Still holding off on value as well.

Growth funds are the way to go. Been a great year! We upped our investment targets and goals.

I had bought 2000 shares to TSLA at $200 pre-split in May of 2019. At that time, if you recall they were slashing prices on their cars and there was concern about their cash flow which was greatly exaggerated. I have never sold it since then and I am very pleased with my gains. It pays to work in the hedge fund business.

BTW, a great ETF is ARKK. Cathie Wood is phenomenal investor and a great person. She has been banging the table for years about TSLA and the fund invests in disruptive companies. The fund which Cathie runs always maintains a 10% stake in TSLA. She sells the TSLA stock when it runs hot to keep the percentage at 10. Sometimes I wish that she would let the stock run above 10%, but I understand her reasoning. She is a very smart investor who trades around a bull thesis. If you are looking for forward looking growth as an investor, her funds is what I would look at.

I had bought 2000 shares to TSLA at $200 pre-split in May of 2019. At that time, if you recall they were slashing prices on their cars and there was concern about their cash flow which was greatly exaggerated. I have never sold it since then and I am very pleased with my gains. It pays to work in the hedge fund business.

BTW, a great ETF is ARKK. Cathie Wood is phenomenal investor and a great person. She has been banging the table for years about TSLA and the fund invests in disruptive companies. The fund which Cathie runs always maintains a 10% stake in TSLA. She sells the TSLA stock when it runs hot to keep the percentage at 10. Sometimes I wish that she would let the stock run above 10%, but I understand her reasoning. She is a very smart investor who trades around a bull thesis. If you are looking for forward looking growth as an investor, her funds is what I would look at.
Since March 17th.

SPY up about 50%
QQQ up about 80ish%.
ARKK up about 230%

Since March 17th.

SPY up about 50%
QQQ up about 80ish%.
ARKK up about 230%

Palantir is a good long term investment. You can buy it here, but a novice investor may get impatient with the volatility. Right now the price is around $28. It may or may not dip down to $15-20. If you can't withstand the volatility then nibble at the current price and then go if the price drops. If it goes up then keep buying.

Palantir is a good long term investment. You can buy it here, but a novice investor may get impatient with the volatility. Right now the price is around $28. It may or may not dip down to $15-20. If you can't withstand the volatility then nibble at the current price and then go if the price drops. If it goes up then keep buying.
How did you know that I was also comparing ARKK's chart to PLTR's?

I bought PLTR at 9.50ish and have trimmed a bit along the way. Figure I'm done trimming for awhiles though. Reconsider around $100.

How did you know that I was also comparing ARKK's chart to PLTR's?

I bought PLTR at 9.50ish and have trimmed a bit along the way. Figure I'm done trimming for awhiles though. Reconsider around $100.

All Robinhood traders think alike. Why would you trim PLTR? $9.5 is a great entry point. This could be a stock you pass to the next generation. My hedge fund has been in it pre-IPO and AI is the future. Not many companies are better at AI than Palantir.

What are your thoughts on GE?
@rutgersguy1 has a bunch of good GE posts in this thread. Might be worth a search and read if you are interested.

My thoughts, for what they are worth, is that GE has a ton of turnaround potential. From aerospace, to medical equipment, to renewables they are heavily involved in 3 big story line sectors. This stock was once $60, and as recently as early 2017 was as high as $30. Maybe it never gets back to those levels, but $20, which would be a near doubling of the current levels looks like a pretty easy bet.

Potential downside is the lingering debt, and the overall complexity of the business. A few of the talking head guys I like talk about staying away because they just can not get a handle on the business given how big and complicated it is.

Still at this point it looks like it's at a pretty safe level, with, as I note above, some clear head room over the next couple of quarters.

Reactions: redking
All Robinhood traders think alike. Why would you trim PLTR? $9.5 is a great entry point. This could be a stock you pass to the next generation. My hedge fund has been in it pre-IPO and AI is the future. Not many companies are better at AI than Palantir.
Well, I don't adhere to the mantra that stocks only go up. PLTR was up 200% in a month, unlike say GE, I thought it had, and still has, the potential to lose 30% in a week, which is pretty much what happened last week. Now it did bounce back, but I'm not sure where it goes from here. Is this like FSLY in July? Where it has reached a level where it will tread water for the next 6 months(though it too has gotten hot again). Or ZM, which is down 25ish% off it's highs. Or TDOC, or DDOG, or etc,

My guess is the managers at ARKK are on their toe's looking for what is running. Otherwise, that chart would not still be skyrocketing. It would have stalled like the charts of ZM and TDOC have.

Don’t know if this has been posted but happened to come across this on TSLA. It’s not the type of stock I trade in but for those who do.

TSLA's current valuation, in the minds of many, makes no sense. But TSLA has been crushing short sellers for awhile.

Also, not sure when TSLA announced it, before or after Burr advised it, but TSLA has said they will issue more stock.

Is anyone riding the wave of SPACs? Have had a fun ride with LCA, merging with Golden Nugget this month. Two other gambling techs DMYT and DMYD hopefully following in their footsteps. I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop on some others, but it’s been great so far.

@rutgersguy1 has a bunch of good GE posts in this thread. Might be worth a search and read if you are interested.

My thoughts, for what they are worth, is that GE has a ton of turnaround potential. From aerospace, to medical equipment, to renewables they are heavily involved in 3 big story line sectors. This stock was once $60, and as recently as early 2017 was as high as $30. Maybe it never gets back to those levels, but $20, which would be a near doubling of the current levels looks like a pretty easy bet.

Potential downside is the lingering debt, and the overall complexity of the business. A few of the talking head guys I like talk about staying away because they just can not get a handle on the business given how big and complicated it is.

Still at this point it looks like it's at a pretty safe level, with, as I note above, some clear head room over the next couple of quarters.
My faith in the stock was based on the CEO Culp and that he will slowly but surely clean up the company and balance sheet and that’s what he’s been doing.

It’s a positive sign of his management and execution that in the face of very difficult circumstances and hit to their crown jewel business segment aviation that they were on or slightly ahead of schedule in terms of FCF generation and debt reduction. So as business slowly returns to some level of normalcy in the coming years the outlook seems good imo.

Reactions: RU-05
Is anyone riding the wave of SPACs? Have had a fun ride with LCA, merging with Golden Nugget this month. Two other gambling techs DMYT and DMYD hopefully following in their footsteps. I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop on some others, but it’s been great so far.
I did very well with NKLA in it's first couple weeks.

I was in on whatever SPAC merged with Hims, but got out, not sure what that has done since.

Those are the only two I can think of.

Side note, I'm going to get in on the ABNB IPO.

US Steel, which I owned in the spring, but was not patient enough to hang with, has been on fire of late. Still when you pull back on the long term chart this thing has a ton of headroom.

Some clear similarities to GE.

Feel I'd be chasing at this point though.

I did very well with NKLA in it's first couple weeks.

I was in on whatever SPAC merged with Hims, but got out, not sure what that has done since.

Those are the only two I can think of.

Side note, I'm going to get in on the ABNB IPO.
I own the SPAC for HIMS and a few others, all up significantly. IPOB, bought at 11, now trading at 25, will be merging with OpenDoor on 12/21. I think its gonna pop like QS did after their merger. There is a nice SPAK etf, symbol is SPAK, for those who want a piece of that market.
Whoever posted about ARKK is absolutely correct. There are a few othe ARK etfs that are all up over 100% this year (ARKF, ARKQ, ARKG and ARKW). Great managers, focused on innovations, AI, IoT, and fintech.

I own the SPAC for HIMS and a few others, all up significantly. IPOB, bought at 11, now trading at 25, will be merging with OpenDoor on 12/21. I think its gonna pop like QS did after their merger. There is a nice SPAK etf, symbol is SPAK, for those who want a piece of that market.
Whoever posted about ARKK is absolutely correct. There are a few othe ARK etfs that are all up over 100% this year (ARKF, ARKQ, ARKG and ARKW). Great managers, focused on innovations, AI, IoT, and fintech.
Hmm, not sure if ARKK is now too expensive to jump into to.....

The other caution I suggest with respect to ARKK is year end capital gain distributions. They'll go to holders of record a few days prior to that distribution in about 3 weeks (before year end) and will cover the whole years recognized gains. The might be a way to see what they are, but it might be a nasty tax surprise for those who get in right now. TRP New Horizons will distribute around $7 per share of LTCG this year. It's worth the tax cost if you held it all year, but not for 3 weeks. And ARKK distributions might be short term gains as opposed to long term.

I think you have to look forward rather than current price. The fund looks to innovative companies. I'm of the belief that the future is new technology, what some have called America 2.0. I'm not saying that traditional companies don't belong in your portfolio but the future is companies like Palantir, Uber, PayPal, disruptors like Amazon, Google and Microsoft were 20 years ago. There should be a place in your portfolio for longterm growth in AI, robotics, fintech, alternative energy, crypto, etc.

I think you have to look forward rather than current price. The fund looks to innovative companies. I'm of the belief that the future is new technology, what some have called America 2.0. I'm not saying that traditional companies don't belong in your portfolio but the future is companies like Palantir, Uber, PayPal, disruptors like Amazon, Google and Microsoft were 20 years ago. There should be a place in your portfolio for longterm growth in AI, robotics, fintech, alternative energy, crypto, etc.
It might be a little hot right now. Same with PLTR, SNOW, TSLA.

When you hear the growth that these companies will need to experience over the next couple years to validate current levels? Welp, it's why I trimmed on PLTR.

ARKK is interesting as an ETF though as they can and will switch from one group of stocks that are running, to another group of stocks as the baton is passed. At least that is how I assume it works.

When you hear the growth that these companies will need to experience over the next couple years to validate current levels? Welp, it's why I trimmed on PLTR.

ARKK is interesting as an ETF though as they can and will switch from one group of stocks that are running, to another group of stocks as the baton is passed. At least that is how I assume it works.
That's correct on all points. The etf will adjust accordingly and without emotion as most investors can get caught up in the frenzy and frequently don't get out in time.

+1
It's a managed fund, not an index.

Here is the November 2020 statutory prospectus for the ARK Invest ETFs. I think they do an excellent job in laying out specific risks of the ETFs. This is much more detailed and informative than many risk disclosures found in some other prospectuses. It’s also educational in that they discuss many of the new and innovative technologies and the risks associated with them. It’s worth a read, in my opinion.

Bought back into VRM. Owned it 2 other times, made money off a bounce the first time, think I lost a little the 2nd time, but I'll try again hoping it catches a run as people look for more value oriented growth stock. Has ticked up a little in recent days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT