ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Dang, I'm down 2.18 currently.

Bunch of big losers, few big winners in my mix today.
giphy.gif

So my phone rings and the caller ID says NRG Energy, of course I don't answer but instead I see what the stock is doing.

At $33.91 it has a P/E of 2. That is probably the lowest P/E I've seen.

AND it has an EPS of $16.5.

NJR by comparison has a P/E of 16x and an EPS of $2.

Go down the list on valuations and NRG looks incredibly cheap.

Now NJR has been profitable for years, while NRG was in the red as recently as 2017. NRG has also seen it's cash decrease every year over the last 5, as has their total assets. But their total debt and liabilities have decreased along the same lines.

This was also in recent news:

"NRG Energy Inc. (NYSE:NRG) has completed the issuance of $900 million in senior secured first lien notes in a landmark issuance, with NRG pioneering the first Sustainability-Linked Bond (SLB) in North America, and the first issued by any energy company outside of Europe. In concert with the Direct Energy acquisition, the SLB will support the Company's efforts to pursue growth, achieve its climate transition strategy, and bring increasing value to its stakeholders. "

Opinions?

I don’t disagree. About 18% of my portfolio consists of individual stocks, none more than 4% of my portfolio. Most, have been held for decades and will hopefully go to the kids with a stepped up basis. My mutual funds are about 1/2 active and 1/2 passive, all low lost in terms of expense ratios and no front end loads or 12b-1s. Having gone through the ‘70s, October ‘87, dot com, 2008-2009, 2018, COVID part of 2020, I’ve seen the ups and downs. For what it’s worth, I tell my kids to largely invest in mutual funds or ETFs but if they want to invest in individual equities, keep that to about 20% with no one position being more than 5%. To each his own, though.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree. About 18% of my portfolio consists of individual stocks, none more than 4% of my portfolio. Most, have been held for decades and will hopefully go to the kids with a stepped up basis. My mutual funds are about 1/2 active and 1/2 passive, all low lost in terms of expense ratios and no front end loadstone,12-B1s. Having gone through the ‘70s, October ‘87, dot com, 2008-2009, 2018, COVID part of 2020, I’ve seen the ups and downs. For what it’s worth, I tell my kids to largely invest in mutual funds or ETFs but if they want to invest in individual equities, keep that to about 20% with no one position being more than 5%. To each his own, though.
+1 - Very good advice.
We just need an average 7% return for the next 15 years to reach our super stretch goal. Of course more is better, but no need to risk too much since we are in such good shape.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Thanks to whoever posted CYDY awhile back. Bought in when it dropped to 2.70 and sold at 3.35 yesterday.
Great post - where is that guy who pumped how great they were and how they were days away from a Covid approval? Lol what a liar

• Haha
Reactions: redking
Hows everybody feeling at BB? I like that stock alot. I've owned it for a while and am accumulating a bigger stake

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Excellent announcement yesterday. Disney+ has some great content in the works.
Yup very good news. The pandemic really hit it at first but now will actually supercharge it with the side effect benefits for Disney+ assuming a good chunk of these subscribers will be sticky.

This is my sandbox...large/megacap stocks. I know where my capability lies and I stick to it generally.

A lot of the names mentioned in this thread are names I can’t get into because I don’t know enough.. just like the marijuana stocks awhile back that were discussed in a stock thread. Sounded tempting but I stayed out....one day red hot another day out of favor. I can’t guess which will be which so I stay clear.

When these kind of names are panned is when I start paying attention looking at charts and technicals and what might be a good spot to start a position. If I’m early it’s okay as I feel fundamentally the company will be sound and I’ll look for the next level to add more.

Reactions: redking
Also this on GE which is kind of what I’ve said. High singles low double digits and then might have trouble beyond that might pull back/consolidate awhile and then move again as aviation improves and things get closer to normal. Also paid a 200M fine to the SEC for past management mistakes but main thing is took another uncertainty off the table by doing so. The last paragraph is my thinking as well.

The charts look more foreboding, Miller Tabak’s chief market strategist, Matt Maley, told CNBC’s “Trading Nation”on Thursday.

Not only is the stock’s weekly relative strength index — a key momentum indicator — the most overbought it’s been since 2013, but its daily RSI hasn’t been this overbought since 1987, Maley said.

“I think the stock can hold up and rally even a little bit further here into the end of the year because I think the broad market will hold up, but I’d look for a pretty fairly decent correction next year at some point in the first half of the year,” Maley said.

“Therefore, I think some people should take some chips off the table after we get past Jan. 1,” he said.

On a longer-term basis, however, the stock’s “got some great upside potential,” the strategist said.

Reactions: RU-05
Good forecast for Disney+ subscriber growth and already 1 dollar price hike and I’m sure the first of many. Stock up 10%

I don't really follow the stock (although I own it with a sub $2 cost basis thanks to Marvel). How many subscribers are through the Verizon free trial? I know mine is up at the end of the month and I'll probably just deactivate it until something like Mandolorian or Hamilton comes to it.

I don't really follow the stock (although I own it with a sub $2 cost basis thanks to Marvel). How many subscribers are through the Verizon free trial? I know mine is up at the end of the month and I'll probably just deactivate it until something like Mandolorian or Hamilton comes to it.
It went from projections of 60-90 million subscribers by 2024 to 230-260 million subscribers so even if some aren’t sticky like you they definitely expect many will be.
They don’t break down the subscriber origins.

From CNBC:

Some of those subscribers arrived at the service through bundles or one-time promotions, like a partnership with Verizon that offered one year of Disney+ to customers, though Disney doesn’t break out those numbers.

VTVT up big after hours. I talked about this one about two months ago have a nice pipeline of stage 3 coming soon.
Thanks to whoever posted CYDY awhile back. Bought in when it dropped to 2.70 and sold at 3.35 yesterday.
Great post - where is that guy who pumped how great they were and how they were days away from a Covid approval? Lol what a liar
I've found these small pharma stocks to be the most speculative, and scandalous. Companies that make no money for years, hoping one of their drugs breaks through, and acting like it is inevitable along the way. And then the owners sell stock on the good news rumors.

I'm all about making a play on a cheap speculative stock, have a few in hand at the moment, and I have played a couple pharma covid hands including cydy, but i've been a little turned off by the group.

I've found these small pharma stocks to be the most speculative, and scandalous. Companies that make no money for years, hoping one of their drugs breaks through, and acting like it is inevitable along the way. And then the owners sell stock on the good news rumors.

I'm all about making a play on a cheap speculative stock, have a few in hand at the moment, and I have played a couple pharma covid hands including cydy, but i've been a little turned off by the group.
I can't buy pharma stocks (even if I did buy stocks). I'm knee deep in BD/M&A deals and speculation. Way too much insider info.

Good forecast for Disney+ subscriber growth and already 1 dollar price hike and I’m sure the first of many. Stock up 10%

Excellent announcement yesterday. Disney+ has some great content in the works.
Netflix might be the best movie TV streaming play, but Disney, imo is the clear #2. Maybe the #'s bare that out already, but just on story line alone, the Disney catalog? And the ability to churn out future content? I dunno, wouldn't be surprised if they become #1 at some point.

Love the synergy too between the theme parks merchandise and the streaming. All time high now, and I think it will continue to go up as A)parks reopen, and B)those subscription #'s continue to climb.

I have a solid position relative to my portfolio but I wish I had strengthened it a month or so ago, I just got to wrapped up in the ev/hydrogen stocks which were running. See if it wants to pull back a little.

Now on the converse, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of hulu. That to me just sounds like an also ran in the streaming biz.

Netflix might be the best movie TV streaming play, but Disney, imo is the clear #2. Maybe the #'s bare that out already, but just on story line alone, the Disney catalog? And the ability to churn out future content? I dunno, wouldn't be surprised if they become #1 at some point.

Love the synergy too between the theme parks merchandise and the streaming. All time high now, and I think it will continue to go up as A)parks reopen, and B)those subscription #'s continue to climb.

I have a solid position relative to my portfolio but I wish I had strengthened it a month or so ago, I just got to wrapped up in the ev/hydrogen stocks which were running. See if it wants to pull back a little.

Now on the converse, and maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of hulu. That to me just sounds like an also ran in the streaming biz.
I guess Hulu is for Disney's adult content. They should eventually rebrand it.

I can't buy pharma stocks (even if I did buy stocks). I'm knee deep in BD/M&A deals and speculation. Way too much insider info.
MRNA was a pretty obvious one that for whatever reason I didn't pull the trigger on. Unlike the big pharma's this one moved on vaccine news, it was sitting at $70, all the rumors were good but I didn't buy it. Even when it jumped, then pulled back to $90 very recently I passed, (Steve Weiss on CNBC called it a gift at this point) I still held off. It's around $160 now(and Weiss is still bullish).

If their RNA cancer vaccine works?

I guess Hulu is for Disney's adult content. They should eventually rebrand it.
As an adult I feel Hulu is at best 3rd behind Netflix and Amazon. On name recognition those 2 crush hulu. Maybe with younger folk Hulu has a stronger name, but then we go back to just rolling with the Disney name.

But the Disney+ train has left the station so whatever they do with Hulu(and ESPN) is a little besides the point.

Prediction that our party will continue!

Just looking at the headline here but I think we need stimulus to get to 3800 this year.

Then assuming stimulus for Jan, and then reopening in spring/early summer, I'm confidently behind the bulls on that.

Just looking at the headline here but I think we need stimulus to get to 3800 this year.

Then assuming stimulus for Jan, and then reopening in spring/early summer, I'm confidently behind the bulls on that.
A slimmed down stimulus bill is still likely. The #2 Dem in the House just opened the door for it.

Update, sounds promising.

Yup very good news. The pandemic really hit it at first but now will actually supercharge it with the side effect benefits for Disney+ assuming a good chunk of these subscribers will be sticky.

This is my sandbox...large/megacap stocks. I know where my capability lies and I stick to it generally.

A lot of the names mentioned in this thread are names I can’t get into because I don’t know enough.. just like the marijuana stocks awhile back that were discussed in a stock thread. Sounded tempting but I stayed out....one day red hot another day out of favor. I can’t guess which will be which so I stay clear.

When these kind of names are panned is when I start paying attention looking at charts and technicals and what might be a good spot to start a position. If I’m early it’s okay as I feel fundamentally the company will be sound and I’ll look for the next level to add more.
This basically what I said and I've also echoed the trader's sentiment that's not a place I step into DIS. When jewel companies that are willing and able to adapt are panned is when you should start paying attention. A few off the top of my head are DIS (ESPN subscriber losses, cordcutting), MSFT (PCs are dying), WMT (AMZN will eat their lunch and put them out of their misery)....what you need is capable management willing to adapt and change and you could have a big winner at least by my standards not these 500-1000% gains or what not on these smaller esoteric type names which isn't the sandbox for most incluiding myself.

From the article:

“This is a great lesson for investors that when a world-class franchise is experiencing difficulty as this company has been but then pivots, when they execute, you believe in that company, you take an investment and ultimately you will be rewarded,” Quint Tatro, president of Joule Financial, told CNBC’s “Trading Nation” on Friday.

Even though he applauded the success, Tatro said investors looking to put new money to work in the stock should wait for the right moment.

“Selling 32 times forward earnings with pretty significant debt on the balance sheet, you wait for a pullback, you don’t chase it here, but bravo to Disney and great lesson for investors to be patient and believe in these world-class franchises,” said Tatro.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
This basically what I said and I've also echoed the trader's sentiment that's not a place I step into DIS. When jewel companies that are willing and able to adapt are panned is when you should start paying attention. A few off the top of my head are DIS (ESPN subscriber losses, cordcutting), MSFT (PCs are dying), WMT (AMZN will eat their lunch and put them out of their misery)....what you need is capable management willing to adapt and change and you could have a big winner at least by my standards not these 500-1000% gains or what not on these smaller esoteric type names which isn't the sandbox for most incluiding myself.

From the article:

“This is a great lesson for investors that when a world-class franchise is experiencing difficulty as this company has been but then pivots, when they execute, you believe in that company, you take an investment and ultimately you will be rewarded,” Quint Tatro, president of Joule Financial, told CNBC’s “Trading Nation” on Friday.

Even though he applauded the success, Tatro said investors looking to put new money to work in the stock should wait for the right moment.

“Selling 32 times forward earnings with pretty significant debt on the balance sheet, you wait for a pullback, you don’t chase it here, but bravo to Disney and great lesson for investors to be patient and believe in these world-class franchises,” said Tatro.

Hoping that ESPN goes out of business.....not for market-related reasons! :)

As an adult I feel Hulu is at best 3rd behind Netflix and Amazon. On name recognition those 2 crush hulu. Maybe with younger folk Hulu has a stronger name, but then we go back to just rolling with the Disney name.

But the Disney+ train has left the station so whatever they do with Hulu(and ESPN) is a little besides the point.
Hulu isn't really in the same "class" (not in terms of worth when I say that) as Netflix/Disney+/Amazon. It's more like a YouTubeTv/DirectTV Now etc.. for streaming cable/television content as opposed to original content. Sure it has some original content but not as much as the others. So it's more for live streaming of cable/tv and also watching old tv programs as well that you may have not watched.

As far as original streaming content it's basically going to be Netflix/Disney+ and then the rest. I don't think Amazon/AppleTV+/Peacock or anyone else has shown any signs of coming close right now.

Reactions: RU-05
The streaming services will only get more expensive and then all the chord cutters will question why they ditched cable once they realize all their shows are spread out.
then they will realize why cable existed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT