ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Maybe I'm just being impatient, maybe I'm bedazzled by the shiny new toys, but big tech has been a drag on my portfolio for months. And in this environment, a 10% move over a couple months is just not that impressive, so even if they get going again, they are just not going to be leaders.

I'm not selling them, but I am looking at them cross eyed.

Ever heard to old line about bulls, bears and pigs?

I like a few ARK etf's that concentrate on tech sectors:
ARKK-new innovation
ARKG-genomics
ARKF-fintech
ARKQ-robotics and autonomous vehicles
Thanks for the reminder about ARK etfs. I just signed up for Morningstar Premium, so I will check their analysis of these.

Reactions: ScarletNut
The big techs, I believe will get closer to their highs near earning season. I do owe quite a bit. Sold some Apple, near its high today. PPayPal over its high recently, MSFT close to high and ADOBE getting close. AMZN in the range of 3100-3250 and I sell some at 3250 and buy back at 3100 but waiting for 3350-3400. FB down because of hearings. I been selling some of them NVDA, NFLX when they go up 5-8 points and buying when they go down.

You are so use to the high flyers that get 30-40% return in 2 weeks. It is fun when you get the high flyers right.
I'm still slowly reducing my allocation of tech/growth funds and etfs while increasing my exposure of small and mids. Still avoiding non-growth international and anything value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder about ARK etfs. I just signed up for Morningstar Premium, so I will check their analysis of these.

And when you're checking, look for capital gains distributions scheduled before 12/31. If you're investing in a taxable account it might be worth waiting until 1/4/21 to buy and avoiding a nasty tax surprise.

Heard about TMDI here over the summer. It’s back to summer levels at $1.50 and rumor of buyout in 2021 by Medtronic. Great info on the IHub board app. Been following for 6 months and I think it’s the real deal. Hopefully I’ll be rich by end of next year. Ha.

Reactions: RU-05
Heard about TMDI here over the summer. It’s back to summer levels at $1.50 and rumor of buyout in 2021 by Medtronic. Great info on the IHub board app. Been following for 6 months and I think it’s the real deal. Hopefully I’ll be rich by end of next year. Ha.

I might have been the one who mentioned TMDI in the summer.

I did get out of it recently as it got back over$1.00( I might have sold at around $1.20). I liked the story, and they seemed to be heading in the right direction but they literally produce no revenue, let alone earnings.

A buyout would change the timeline dramatically. Think I have a couple hundred bucks unaccounted for, might get back in on a small position.

Edit: This was a theory that I had developed as I held and watched TMDI. Twice this stock was put on the NASDAQ deficiency list because it's price dropped below $1.00. Then, I assume as it approaches the deadline at which point it will be delisted, it spikes above a dollar, then slowly drops down below a dollar and again becomes deficient. My thinking is it is buoyed by some sort of institution/investment group that wants to keep it on the exchange.

So I bought it above $1 in the spring, went below $1, then when it spiked I sold thinking it would again begin to fade again. If it does fade again below $1.00, perhaps to around .70 where it hovered for awhile, that might be a good time to jump in as channel trade.

Converse to this is on it's most recent run it has twice including today bounced up and off of a resistance level of around $1.50 that was set back in early June. If it breaks through here, maybe it is looking at a run?

Last edited:
ABML, which I started off with a pretty small position, after an 800% run is now dollars away from the biggest position in my portfolio.

I should def be trimming right?

Edit: Already trending down, I should have been trimming instead of posting here.

ABML, which I started off with a pretty small position, after an 800% run is now dollars away from the biggest position in my portfolio.

Edit: Already trending down, I should have been trimming instead of posting here.

The possibility of the stimulus package failing, and thus the aid to alternative energy not happening, was bound to do that. But long term the Biden Administration will be friendly so it could be temporary, though I wouldn't count on another 3 day 300% run.

The possibility of the stimulus package failing, and thus the aid to alternative energy not happening, was bound to do that. But long term the Biden Administration will be friendly so it could be temporary, though I wouldn't count on another 3 day 300% run.
That failing would likely only be temporary right? Sell now, buy on the dip, wait for the stimulus to finally get passed, again make a boatload.

Now at least I know ABML is on the map. It will run when all the other EV/lithium's run. It wasn't doing that for awhile.

Easy come, easy go! The world of penny stock gambling. :)

However, Morningstar pegs ABML's fair value at $2. So perhaps it will perform well in the future?

Easy come, easy go! The world of penny stock gambling. :)

However, Morningstar pegs ABML's fair value at $2. So perhaps it will perform well in the future?
I really like the story. Not only a lithium miner but a recycler of batteries. That is a great industry moving fwd.

But they show no revenue, and only recently started construction on the battery recycling plant. So like NKLA, or TMDI above, you are buying the vision, not a functioning business. At least TMDI and ABML are cheap, ABML was very cheap when I bought it.

I really like the story. Not only a lithium miner but a recycler of batteries. That is a great industry moving fwd.

But they show no revenue, and only recently started construction on the battery recycling plant. So like NKLA, or TMDI above, you are buying the vision, not a functioning business. At least TMDI and ABML are cheap, ABML was very cheap when I bought it.
ABML's uncertainty rating is "extreme".....for obvious reasons. TMDI is only very high, but seems to be trading close to fair value.

FGCKX continues to crush it and is now over +70% YTD. Reviewing their holdings may give you some ideas for growth in 2021.

That failing would likely only be temporary right? Sell now, buy on the dip, wait for the stimulus to finally get passed, again make a boatload.

Now at least I know ABML is on the map. It will run when all the other EV/lithium's run. It wasn't doing that for awhile.

If you want to predict Congress and Washington in general be my guest. I won't, except to say you can count on any "compromise" to involve more spending. Where that spending goes is above my pay grade, as evidenced by the bill as passed provided aid to Cambodia and Myanmar.

ABML's uncertainty rating is "extreme".....for obvious reasons. TMDI is only very high, but seems to be trading close to fair value.

FGCKX continues to crush it and is now over +70% YTD. Reviewing their holdings may give you some ideas for growth in 2021.
Link?

Although with high growth stock picks I imagine that changes year to year, or even qtr to qtr. FSLY for instance was great in the first 2 quarters of this year, not so much the 2nd qtr, and I'd doubt it will be moving fwd. Plenty of other examples fitting that bill as well.

Yes. A good rule of thumb is your biggest position shouldn't be a penny stock. You won't go broke taking profits on at least a portion and redeploying it.

Link?

Although with high growth stock picks I imagine that changes year to year, or even qtr to qtr. FSLY for instance was great in the first 2 quarters of this year, not so much the 2nd qtr, and I'd doubt it will be moving fwd. Plenty of other examples fitting that bill as well.
I don't think this is behind a paywall:

Definitely changes quite a bit. Over the summer, Tesla portfolio weight was around 8%. It is now under 2%. This fund manager is a rock star.

Steve Wymer:
This strategy is among the category’s more aggressive. Wymer looks for companies whose resilient business models can fuel rapid growth over a three- to five-year period. His willingness to invest heavily in profitless firms he thinks possess extraordinary potential--notably in the biotech industry--reliably lands it in the high-growth section of the Morningstar Style Box. High-multiple stocks carry high risks of disappointment if their earnings-growth expectations don’t materialize. That helps explain the strategy’s above-average volatility and occasional blips in performance.

Wymer plays to his strengths by often embracing the consumer discretionary, healthcare, and (until recently) technology sectors, where his stock-picking skill stands out most. The strategy’s standing as one of the largest individual owners of many of its portfolio companies gives Wymer unparalleled access to their leadership, helping him understand the businesses’ growth drivers. Although many of those budding hopefuls have petered out over the years, Wymer has shown a knack for spotting and successfully investing in big winners such as Nvidia NVDA, Roku ROKU, and Shopify SHOP.

All told, Wymer's strategy continues to be one of the category's best options.

Yes. A good rule of thumb is your biggest position shouldn't be a penny stock. You won't go broke taking profits on at least a portion and redeploying it.

Like getting your total original investment and tax cost on the gain on the shares you sell out and "play with the houses money"?

I don't think this is behind a paywall:

Definitely changes quite a bit. Over the summer, Tesla portfolio weight was around 8%. It is now under 2%. This fund manager is a rock star.

Steve Wymer:
This strategy is among the category’s more aggressive. Wymer looks for companies whose resilient business models can fuel rapid growth over a three- to five-year period. His willingness to invest heavily in profitless firms he thinks possess extraordinary potential--notably in the biotech industry--reliably lands it in the high-growth section of the Morningstar Style Box. High-multiple stocks carry high risks of disappointment if their earnings-growth expectations don’t materialize. That helps explain the strategy’s above-average volatility and occasional blips in performance.

Wymer plays to his strengths by often embracing the consumer discretionary, healthcare, and (until recently) technology sectors, where his stock-picking skill stands out most. The strategy’s standing as one of the largest individual owners of many of its portfolio companies gives Wymer unparalleled access to their leadership, helping him understand the businesses’ growth drivers. Although many of those budding hopefuls have petered out over the years, Wymer has shown a knack for spotting and successfully investing in big winners such as Nvidia NVDA, Roku ROKU, and Shopify SHOP.

All told, Wymer's strategy continues to be one of the category's best options.

Given that list of names, and the performance of those stocks, I'm guessing they reallocated since that reporting which occurred on Oct 31st. They were down about 10% from the sept highs, but have since got rolling again. AMZN, NVDA, W, LULU, not much going on there.

MRNA, TSLA, SHOP, have all been very hot though.

Edit: I was hoping for some more hidden gems, most of that list are the pretty well known.

Last edited:
Luckily it's down 20% so no longer my (almost) biggest stock. Pounding Nails

AGC, blank check company, will at some point merge most likely with a tech company. Brad Gerstner as CEO, this guy get's plenty of screen time on CNBC, pretty sure a big backer of SNOW. AGC is going to find a hot company and takeoff.

That's my guess.

Given that list of names, and the performance of those stocks, I'm guessing they reallocated since that reporting which occurred on Oct 31st. They were down about 10% from the sept highs, but have since got rolling again. AMZN, NVDA, W, LULU, not much going on there.

MRNA, TSLA, SHOP, have all been very hot though.

Edit: I was hoping for some more hidden gems, most of that list are the pretty well known.
I bet most of his "hidden gems" become well known very quickly.

AGC, blank check company, will at some point merge most likely with a tech company. Brad Gerstner as CEO, this guy get's plenty of screen time on CNBC, pretty sure a big backer of SNOW. AGC is going to find a hot company and takeoff.

That's my guess.
Do your research on SPACs. Make sure the the CEO is legit, not some no name or a celebrity. Know the target market they're looking to acquire. Lastly, IMO, I don't buy the SPAC until I know which company they are targeting and whether its pretty much a done deal. These SPACs usually come to market at $10/share. When they start moving in the 11-13 range is when I give them a good look to see why they're moving. I'm in 7 of them, buying point was all in the 11-12 range and fit my criteria. All are up, sold 2 of them when the mergers were complete (OPEN, GOEV) at a nice profit.

Do your research on SPACs. Make sure the the CEO is legit, not some no name or a celebrity. Know the target market they're looking to acquire. Lastly, IMO, I don't buy the SPAC until I know which company they are targeting and whether its pretty much a done deal. These SPACs usually come to market at $10/share. When they start moving in the 11-13 range is when I give them a good look to see why they're moving. I'm in 7 of them, buying point was all in the 11-12 range and fit my criteria. All are up, sold 2 of them when the mergers were complete (OPEN, GOEV) at a nice profit.
I don't know if you'd call it research but I watch a ton of CNBC and Gerstner is on there quite a bit. I think that brings marketability to whatever company they merge with, but it also shows he has respec,t at least amongst the CNBC circle. Also as I said he is a big backer of SNOW, which though overvalued, is a monster growth company and obviously has market panache. I think it's fair to say Gerstner is not some huckster.

As per what kind of company they want to merge with, AGC's company overview on E-trade says they want to merge with a tech company.

It's a fairly small position, I know there is risk, I know I'm not combing the internet for as much info as I can get, but I do like the look of this one.

Bought it around 13.

Bought MS. Lots of positive talk on the banking sector in general but MS more specifically. One chart analysis says they have the best chart in the market.

Already own WFC, still want in on some JPM.

I don't know if you'd call it research but I watch a ton of CNBC and Gerstner is on there quite a bit. I think that brings marketability to whatever company they merge with, but it also shows he has respec,t at least amongst the CNBC circle. Also as I said he is a big backer of SNOW, which though overvalued, is a monster growth company and obviously has market panache. I think it's fair to say Gerstner is not some huckster.

As per what kind of company they want to merge with, AGC's company overview on E-trade says they want to merge with a tech company.

It's a fairly small position, I know there is risk, I know I'm not combing the internet for as much info as I can get, but I do like the look of this one.

Bought it around 13.
Fair enough. As far as CNBC goes in terms of legitimacy, let's all remember Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos fame was a frequent guest. If you're not familiar with her, Google her.

Reactions: patk89 and redking
Watching CNBC is like reading the headlines of a newspaper and thinking you have the whole story.
+1 - I like CNBC, but there isn't much depth to their stories.

Market doing well today. R2K still rolling.

Bought MS. Lots of positive talk on the banking sector in general but MS more specifically. One chart analysis says they have the best chart in the market.

Already own WFC, still want in on some JPM.
what's your typical holding period for a stock?

Watching CNBC is like reading the headlines of a newspaper and thinking you have the whole story.

CNBC especially Cramer are always a few days behind. I don’t watch too often CNBC anymore, but when I do, they always seem to be 2-3 steps behind. There are also way too many pumpers and dumpers that come on the network. They need to do a better job of screening their guests and hosts. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen the guests put on trades that are already done. Pumping and dumping!!! CNBC and Bloomberg are for novices and people that don’t want to do the research. Remember folks there is no such thing as a free meal.

CNBC especially Cramer are always a few days behind. I don’t watch too often CNBC anymore, but when I do, they always seem to be 2-3 steps behind. There are also way too many pumpers and dumpers that come on the network. They need to do a better job of screening their guests and hosts. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen the guests put on trades that are already done. Pumping and dumping!!! CNBC and Bloomberg are for novices and people that don’t want to do the research. Remember folks there is no such thing as a free meal.

Fair point. But when they have Daniel Yergin on it's must see. And although he deals mostly in generalities, Buffett ( the man who made Becky Quick millions along with Berkshire investors) is worth the watch.

I see a lot of CNBC haters above, and that's fine, but for me it's not so much their takes on individual stocks, though there are lots of good recommendations on that front as well, it's more so about the varying opinions on how the markets behave.

Fair enough. As far as CNBC goes in terms of legitimacy, let's all remember Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos fame was a frequent guest. If you're not familiar with her, Google her.
I saw that documentary, now CNBC has probably had about 10,000 guests on since last she was on, but I see your point that there are frauds out there.

BABA, facing all sorts of chinese gov't pressures, is about 33% off it's highs and down another 17% today.

Currently trading around it's highs of 2018.

NCLH has doubled since it's March lows.

DAL has doubled since it's March lows.

AMC up about 25% from it's March lows.

Are movie chains the last of the untapped reopening trades? Headwinds in the form of DTC movie streaming, but people are going to want to get out of the house once we get past all this right? Currently at $2.50, was as high as $5.00 as recently as Nov 24th, and $7 as recently as Sept 4th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT