ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Not crash. But there is a consensus among the Dems to raise the corporate tax rate to 28%. That will not tank the market, but it will go lower.
Manchin said he is interested in going back to 25%, but no higher. The market would be fine with that.

As much as I've tried to avoid the chinese stocks(which cost me some significant potential profits in NIO) I thought the most recent BABA dip was too tempting to pass up. The antitrust lawsuit will make them change some of their practices, but it doesn't look like it will be in a significant way, and if they can ever get the ANT IPO thing going again, (and how could they not?), this one will be sitting pretty.
Ru-05, I know you were interested inCydy back in June , and about to finish severe / critical trial on 1/12. Finally , but not enough, FDA on 12/24 allowed compassionate use of Leronlimab for doctors to use in hospitals for anyone that fit the trial protocol , which they stopped in June as they wanted them to finish their trials Also, Medicare adding Leronlimab and giving it a ICM code starting 1/1 is a precursor for approval. FDA about to approve long hauler study for CyDYany day now. Plus EUA probably first in Philippines, and UK prior to USA. Short term a Covid play as it will be the only therapeutic that works on severe/ critical patients proven by trials, where all other Big Pharma attempts have failed , and use on long haulers, plus it improves symptoms in 3 days so can keep people out of hospitals since it is a subcutaneous injection, no IV needed. More significant this is a long term play with its many potential indications, AIDS , Cancer, Nash, and auto immune diseases.

you guys are smoking crack. The mkt is living on zero borrowing costs. That will change and couple that with rising corporate tax rates, and other variables (liberal bs costs imposed on companies) and this mkt has the strength of a premature ejaculator!

• Haha
Reactions: redking
you guys are smoking crack. The mkt is living on zero borrowing costs. That will change and couple that with rising corporate tax rates, and other variables (liberal bs costs imposed on companies) and this mkt has the strength of a premature ejaculator!

Let me know when those borrowing costs go up.

Ru-05, I know you were interested inCydy back in June , and about to finish severe / critical trial on 1/12. Finally , but not enough, FDA on 12/24 allowed compassionate use of Leronlimab for doctors to use in hospitals for anyone that fit the trial protocol , which they stopped in June as they wanted them to finish their trials Also, Medicare adding Leronlimab and giving it a ICM code starting 1/1 is a precursor for approval. FDA about to approve long hauler study for CyDYany day now. Plus EUA probably first in Philippines, and UK prior to USA. Short term a Covid play as it will be the only therapeutic that works on severe/ critical patients proven by trials, where all other Big Pharma attempts have failed , and use on long haulers, plus it improves symptoms in 3 days so can keep people out of hospitals since it is a subcutaneous injection, no IV needed. More significant this is a long term play with its many potential indications, AIDS , Cancer, Nash, and auto immune diseases.
Ya, I sold awhiles back. We've talked about it getting hot again. I assume that was in anticipation of the FDA news. I don't know how much more of a covid run it has, but I do see the news as encouraging for some of it's other uses.

What was the latest on it's potential Nasdaq listing?

Ya, I sold awhiles back. We've talked about it getting hot again. I assume that was in anticipation of the FDA news. I don't know how much more of a covid run it has, but I do see the news as encouraging for some of it's other uses.

What was the latest on it's potential Nasdaq listing?
After approval. Likely be February

Reactions: RU-05
I

I agree the market is being driven by low rates but I will continue to buy on a weekly basis for an expectation of using the funds 16 to 22 years from now for college and a second monthly purchase for an account I will pass to my 30 year old daughter some time in the future

I

I agree the market is being driven by low rates but I will continue to buy on a weekly basis for an expectation of using the funds 16 to 22 years from now for college and a second monthly purchase for an account I will pass to my 30 year old daughter some time in the future
Interest rates aren't going to change anytime soon:

So buy, buy, buy! :)

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I will buy even as rates rise
+1
Stick to the plan. you seem to have a long time horizon. Just keep an idea on value stocks. Normally when the market goes flat and growth disappears, value stocks pop. I am not doing any value funds or indexes now, but I'm watching them closely.

My questions for 2021:

1. Will growth stocks and tech still dominate?
2. Will the Q4 booming small cap market continue to grow (e.g. R2K)?
3. Will value stocks ever make a come back? Still lagging well behind.
4. Any hope for international markets? Underperforming for years now. Which ones will pop?
Shooting from the hip here.

1)Yes tech will continue to dominate, both in the market and in the real world
2)I say the small caps fizzle at some point, probably stays hot for awhiles though
3)Depends on what you call value perhaps, the reopening stocks are going to run, but what are traditionally called value stocks have lagged behind growth for 12 years, that continues.
4)The international stocks which have a better handle on covid then the US will outperform the US stocks, at least in the first half of the year.

Bring this one back up at this time next year, I'd like to see how I did.

+1
Stick to the plan. you seem to have a long time horizon. Just keep an idea on value stocks. Normally when the market goes flat and growth disappears, value stocks pop. I am not doing any value funds or indexes now, but I'm watching them closely.

For my monthly stock purchases I just buy the Total market index

Shooting from the hip here.

1)Yes tech will continue to dominate, both in the market and in the real world
2)I say the small caps fizzle at some point, probably stays hot for awhiles though
3)Depends on what you call value perhaps, the reopening stocks are going to run, but what are traditionally called value stocks have lagged behind growth for 12 years, that continues.
4)The international stocks which have a better handle on covid then the US will outperform the US stocks, at least in the first half of the year.

Bring this one back up at this time next year, I'd like to see how I did.
Tech/Growth stocks have cooled a bit, but 2021 may still be an exceptional year for them. I believe small caps will stay strong for Q1 and perhaps Q2.

Both value and international stocks have lagged for a long time. Value did very well in the 2000's after the dot com bubble and 9/11. If growth and overall indexes are flat, value may be growing. I don't expect this for 2021, but I'm keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
For my monthly stock purchases I just buy the Total market index
For the NY 529? If yes, double check what you are buying. The total market index is combined with the international market fund (which is seriously lagging):

Aggressive Growth Portfolio
100% stocks
INVESTMENT OBJECTIVE
Seeks capital appreciation.
UNDERLYING INVESTMENTS
Vanguard ® Total Stock Market Index Fund (60%)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (40%)

For the NY 529? If yes, double check what you are buying. The total market index is combined with the international market fund (which is seriously lagging):

Aggressive Growth Portfolio
100% stocks
INVESTMENT OBJECTIVE
Seeks capital appreciation.
UNDERLYING INVESTMENTS
Vanguard ® Total Stock Market Index Fund (60%)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (40%)
Not my 529 I invest every week in that. It is a mix like you listed above.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Not my 529 I invest every week in that. It is a mix like you listed above.
Got it. Total market is safe and steady, but even for us passive investors, if you pay a little attention to the trends, you can catch some waves (at the category level). I got out of value and international indexes 4-5 years ago. Double my allocation of growth funds in early 2019. Popped my small cap allocations last August. All worked out nicely. The general markets winds like to change directions.

Let me know when those borrowing costs go up.
slow down, no rookie here but merely implying there are way too many externalities and directly impact the direction of the market. transitional borrowing costs are already elevated, real costs are not far behind regardless of what the fed does in 2yrs. Free money isn't just balance sheet enabled by an over active and intrusive fed

Reactions: RU-05
Tech/Growth stocks have cooled a bit, but 2021 may still be an exceptional year for them. I believe small caps will stay strong for Q1 and perhaps Q2.

Both value and international stocks have lagged for a long time. Value did very well in the 2000's after the dot com bubble and 9/11. If growth and overall indexes are flat, value may be growing. I don't expect this for 2021, but I'm keep an eye on it.
I think that goes for value as well. I think they will do well in Q1 and Q2, but it's not bucking the overall trend.

I think that goes for value as well. I think they will do well in Q1 and Q2, but it's not bucking the overall trend.
+1
For me to jump into value funds, they will need to outperform growth, not just match them for a bit. Same thing with international vs. domestic. I'm tracking them! E-Trade watch list. :)

Headline is a little misleading. Biden won't be as good as Trump for the markets, but most investors still predict new record highs:

Since Trump’s inauguration in January 2017, the S&P 500 has rallied more than 60% thanks in part to the president’s landmark corporate tax cut that led to a surge in profits and a record in share buybacks. The Trump administration has also relaxed many regulations over the last four years, creating a market-friendly environment for oil and other industries.

Many investors worry that a reversal of the tax cut, which Biden has pledged, could take a big bite out of earnings at a time when market valuations are sitting at multiyear highs. Biden’s tax plan calls for raising capital gains rates for high earners.

While investors believe Biden’s policies could create headwinds for the overall market, some sectors would fare better than others. Consumer discretionary, industrials and financials will perform the best under a Biden administration, according to the survey.

Utilities, consumer staples and energy could have a hard time outperforming, the survey said.

@ScarletNut

ETrade is telling me GBTC is up 20% in extended hours. To $33. I thought this thing didn't trade in extended hours.
That's new to me. I've been in GBTC since March/April and hadn't noticed any extended hours trading at that time. If I misled you, I apologize.

That's new to me. I've been in GBTC since March/April and hadn't noticed any extended hours trading at that time. If I misled you, I apologize.
Sometimes my etrade acts a little wonky. I remember a similar instance a month or so back.

I'm also seeing @goru7 's CYDY up 13% in extended, and it's an OTC, which I also thought did not trade in extended.

No apologies necessary of course. It was a long time ago, but I remember being wrong once. Happens to the best of us.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Good article on small cap value stocks:

Pretty sure the R2K had it's best month ever in November, that is obviously not going to happen every month, in fact, one might expect a pull back after such a run, that's kind of why I wouldn't be extremely bullish on the whole of the group in the short term. Long term? Not sure but I think the emergence of the retail trader is a good thing for small caps.

Edit: Reading the link now, and the author notes small cap performance over the past 3 years, (or 1 year, or ytd) and how it lags other sectors.

But imo, at least for short term investing, the more relevant starting point is the march lows, the markets have behaved significantly different from that point then it had previously, and in the next year would I expect the market to behave like it has post lows, or in the years immediately prior? The former for sure.

Last edited:
Put a limit bid in for BTCS at 25 cents. Closed at 22 cents on Thursday. Current ask is .2799. See if it blows right by my 25 center..

CNBC did a poll of 100 portfolio managers of the best performing stock of 2021. The leader at 31% was Exxon.

Bitcoin, TSLA just behind.

I think MARA was the one I was looking at, but as it's chart ran very similar to RIOT, I figured it redundant.

So looking for other crypto options, preferably ones that are lagging the moves. Plenty of penny stock OTC options. Just a few I stumbled on were RKFL(very low volume, price trending downward), BCII(better volume, spiked in June significant downward trend since), HTBC(doesn't even have a chart, lol)

But a couple whose charts look like they have some potential.

LBCC, volume has increased significantly in recent days from pretty consistently sub 50K shares per day to around 500K average the last 3 days, and the price has more then tripled from under 10 cents to .35 cents since last week. Market cap of $10 million

BTCS, better overall volume, both historically and recently then LBCC, pretty consistently 500K+ earlier in the month, 15 million on the 17th, 10 day average of 3.5 million. Like BCII above it spiked in June, trended downward since, but rebounded in the last couple weeks jumping from 12 cents to 22 cents. Market cap of $7.9 million.

Obviously these are dice rollers, if you are looking for fundamentals, these are certainly not for you, and if I do buy in, it would be a very small position, but like ABML, they could get swept up in the story and if so, potential for significant gains. Both have actually already seen significant gains in recent days.

I'll probably throw some $$$'s down on BTCS tomorrow.
Went with BTCS which is up 7%. That's good.

Didn't go with LBCC which is up 35%. Dang it.

Edit: Down 6%, vs up 45%. The world of penny stock "investing".

Last edited:
Exxon's dividend is roughly 8% and while they didn't raise it for the first tine in 20+ years they've pledged to maintain it. You get paid to wait.
BP is another with an 8% yield. Don't think the balance sheet is as good as Exxon, but they've stated they want to lean more towards clean energy. The market is hating on oil, but loves clean energy, so I'm thinking it could jump if it puts something into place, say partnering with a hydrogen company.

I was looking at it when it was at $15 in early november, didn't bite, so I missed that first leg of the run, it has run sideways since but think that next run probably happens once the covid #'s start coming down and the current restrictions lesson, which is not that far off imo.

So a reopening play as well as a potential clean energy pivot. And as you say, you are paid to wait.

BP is another with an 8% yield. Don't think the balance sheet is as good as Exxon, but they've stated they want to lean more towards clean energy. The market is hating on oil, but loves clean energy, so I'm thinking it could jump if it puts something into place, say partnering with a hydrogen company.

I was looking at it when it was at $15 in early november, didn't bite, so I missed that first leg of the run, it has run sideways since but think that next run probably happens once the covid #'s start coming down and the current restrictions lesson, which is not that far off imo.

So a reopening play as well as a potential clean energy pivot. And as you say, you are paid to wait.
You don't trade oil cos. You buy them, put them on dividend reinvestment, and forget about them. In 15 years they're are paying 25% of your original principal each quarter as a dividend.

You don't trade oil cos. You buy them, put them on dividend reinvestment, and forget about them. In 15 years they're are paying 25% of your original principal each quarter as a dividend.
In typical markets that may be the case.

Little portfolio retotation.

Sold 1/2 my ABML, up 27% today and 770% overall gain.
Sold 30% of my Riot , up at about 25% today and 78% overall
Sold 30% of GBTC up 13% today and 160% overall
Sold 100% of PLTR down 5 % today but up 200ish% overall

Looking at HA, SLG, JPM.

I did buy BTCS earlier, and may look at another inexpensive speculative crypto play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT