ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

As per ETH, I read something today, that the transaction fees are too high, and the speeds to slow.

Any opinions on that?

Reactions: bob-loblaw
I'm really thinking about IDRV. If you think EVs are going to be the norm soon (likely true), this may be a good choice. iShares is a solid, legit company and their investment goal for this ETF is broad (as in, not just caremakers):

INVESTMENT OBJECTIVE
The iShares Self-Driving EV and Tech ETF seeks to track the investment results of an index composed of developed and emerging market companies that may benefit from growth and innovation in and around electric vehicles, battery technologies and autonomous driving technologies.

Why IDRV?
1. Access to companies at the forefront of self-driving and electric vehicle (EV) innovation

2. Exposure to global stocks along the full value chain of self-driving and EV industries, across sectors and geographies

3. Seek long-term growth with access to companies that can shape the global economic future
If you're confident autonomous driving will be a thing in the future, why not just invest more heavily in Tesla? That ETF is loaded with traditional autos that are all lagging way behind where Tesla is right now. The gap continues to widen. Many traditional auto companies will be out of business by the end of the decade.

If you're confident autonomous driving will be a thing in the future, why not just invest more heavily in Tesla? That ETF is loaded with traditional autos that are all lagging way behind where Tesla is right now. The gap continues to widen. Many traditional auto companies will be out of business by the end of the decade.

Autonomous driving would create demand from lots of areas. Remove the need to drive yourself, and think of the areas in life that could be freed up. Something obvious as no need for a designated driver, so have that extra beer, or the content that could be provided in each vehicle to entertain passengers. Of course, would not be a good day for auto brands, auto insurance, dealers, service, auto supply stores, the list goes on. These areas would be impacted as long as autonomous driving does emerge. You don’t have to bet on one auto company to win. Why wouldn’t TSLA be the next yahoo or Netscape, or even AOL?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Autonomous driving would create demand from lots of areas. Remove the need to drive yourself, and think of the areas in life that could be freed up. Something obvious as no need for a designated driver, so have that extra beer, or the content that could be provided in each vehicle to entertain passengers. Of course, would not be a good day for auto brands, auto insurance, dealers, service, auto supply stores, the list goes on. These areas would be impacted as long as autonomous driving does emerge. You don’t have to bet on one auto company to win. Why wouldn’t TSLA be the next yahoo or Netscape, or even AOL?
+1
That ETF looks like a well balanced portfolio and a good fit for a long-term investment strategy.

It would be a godsend for the elderly

Forgot to bring my phone to work, perhaps a Freudian slip, my subconscious not wanting to see the carnage of Crypto down big alongside a down overall market.

Just checked, and I'm up 1%. Near shocked, obviously pleasantly.

Helped in a big way by a 100% jump from ZOM.
Truforma could be a big moneymaker for zom

Reactions: RU-05
Why? Because Tesla has 3 billion of miles of data to train their neural networks. The next closest competitor (Google), has about 40 million. Data is the secret sauce as far as autonomy is concerned. Tesla has the most, and that lead continues to grow. Who has better software engineers? Tesla, or GM? Ford? Not even close.
Tesla's Full Self Driving beta has already been released to a select number of drivers and the results are very promising. Have you seen the videos on YouTube?
Project Dojo(super computer used to train AI and the neural network) will be released this year.
Tesla innovates faster than anyone. They're more efficient in manufacturing than any other auto maker. The best engineers on the planet want to work for Elon Musk. How many price cuts did we see on Tesla vehicles this past year because they've improved manufacturing and battery efficiency. Do you know?
Tesla is going to be making an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD number of batteries in the next decade which are going to be used in their vehicles and for stationary storage. Did you see Battery Day in the fall? How many batteries will Tesla make in 2030?
Tesla has just barely dipped their toe in the energy business. Have you seen what Tesla energy has already done in southern Australia? There are $trillions in the the energy sector that are ripe for disruption. Tesla has Autobidder where each user (including homeowners) becomes their own utility. Again, more energy disruption.

I could go on, but if you're comparing Tesla to AOL or Netscape, I fear I'm wasting my time. There was once a time where bankruptcy was a legitimate concern. That time has passed. In 2030, Tesla will be the world's largest company.

Not certain at all but i have 200 shares at 0.19 so i am willing to risk it.

This truforma equipment to diagnose medical conditions would have far greater impact in humans and is a technology that would be worth hundreds of billions of dollars as opposed to the 2-3 billions in pets. If it works that well, you would have thought the company would be testing in humans. Potentially a red flag.

Why? Because Tesla has 3 billion of miles of data to train their neural networks. The next closest competitor (Google), has about 40 million. Data is the secret sauce as far as autonomy is concerned. Tesla has the most, and that lead continues to grow. Who has better software engineers? Tesla, or GM? Ford? Not even close.
Tesla's Full Self Driving beta has already been released to a select number of drivers and the results are very promising. Have you seen the videos on YouTube?
Project Dojo(super computer used to train AI and the neural network) will be released this year.
Tesla innovates faster than anyone. They're more efficient in manufacturing than any other auto maker. The best engineers on the planet want to work for Elon Musk. How many price cuts did we see on Tesla vehicles this past year because they've improved manufacturing and battery efficiency. Do you know?
Tesla is going to be making an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD number of batteries in the next decade which are going to be used in their vehicles and for stationary storage. Did you see Battery Day in the fall? How many batteries will Tesla make in 2030?
Tesla has just barely dipped their toe in the energy business. Have you seen what Tesla energy has already done in southern Australia? There are $trillions in the the energy sector that are ripe for disruption. Tesla has Autobidder where each user (including homeowners) becomes their own utility. Again, more energy disruption.

I could go on, but if you're comparing Tesla to AOL or Netscape, I fear I'm wasting my time. There was once a time where bankruptcy was a legitimate concern. That time has passed. In 2030, Tesla will be the world's largest company.

I wish you luck. You certainly have conviction. I don’t share it. Predictions made with certainty regarding events 10 years out, well, like I said, good luck.

I wish you luck. You certainly have conviction. I don’t share it. Predictions made with certainty regarding events 10 years out, well, like I said, good luck.
Thanks. I have conviction because I've done my homework, and I know the product. I'm not hanging onto short seller's talking points about regulatory credits and panel gaps.

Reactions: lne001
Thanks. I have conviction because I've done my homework, and I know the product. I'm not hanging onto short seller's talking points about regulatory credits and panel gaps.

All the homework in the world won’t help you make accurate predictions of a company achieving Your projected global dominance in a decadE, with nearly the certainty needed to justify the share price today. Good luck.

ZOM bounced back in extended, up another 2.37% to .952.

Last edited:
This truforma equipment to diagnose medical conditions would have far greater impact in humans and is a technology that would be worth hundreds of billions of dollars as opposed to the 2-3 billions in pets. If it works that well, you would have thought the company would be testing in humans. Potentially a red flag.
I've never considered the possibility of using this product on humans, but their are some obvious reasons for first coming out with a pet related product.

Easier regulatory environment and thus quicker timeline for revenues being one.

It being a test run for a potential human product being another.

Just spit balling though.

Without reading the link I'm pretty sure the F-150 is the worlds best selling vehicle.

They will be coming out with an EV F-150 in a year or two.
I will be a late adopter of EVs. Until then come out with an EV version of a Yukon Denali with 420 HPs, 400 mile range, and the ability to recharge in 5 minutes, not going to buy.

However, I know most don't think like this so IDRV may be a nice long term investment. :)

I will be a late adopter of EVs. Until then come out with an EV version of a Yukon Denali with 420 HPs, 400 mile range, and the ability to recharge in 5 minutes, not going to buy.

However, I know most don't think like this so IDRV may be a nice long term investment. :)

I will be a late adopter because the covered parking I have at my condo does not have eletricty save a few lights, and I do not see the association wiring charging stations for 48 spots.

Without reading the link I'm pretty sure the F-150 is the worlds best selling vehicle.

They will be coming out with an EV F-150 in a year or two.

And that's 2 more years of them on the roads into the early '30s. And do you think there will be 100% adoption of electrics when they become available?

Classic discussion between value and growth investors.

Let me ask you this question. If you invest in TSLA today, you are buying the business at an enterprise value of $835bn. What is an acceptable rerun on that capital? In other words, as a business owner, what cash flow should you expect to have delivered to you annually on that investment? 10%? if that’s your minimum, then TSLA will need to earn $83bn to justify your investment.Now, when do you suppose TSLA may earn that amount of money Each year? Is the return estimate off? Should it be higher? Maybe 15%? Then it needs to earn $126bn.

Now, I realize that TSLA has unique assets and the potential to have various income streams emerge, in the future, surrounding its share of the EV market along with the various revenue streams they can earn in each vehicle. Great.

So, how long will it take for them to earn a 10% annual return on the enterprise value today? The longer it takes, by definition, the less certain.

And that’s the crux of the arguement. tSLA May achieve great things. But it’s nearly impossible to justify its value economically today.

And that's 2 more years of them on the roads into the early '30s. And do you think there will be 100% adoption of electrics when they become available?
No. But a growing EV market, which is absolutely happening, was never going to be a 0-100% one year switch.

Yes gas powered vehicles are going to be the large majority of vehicles in the near term, and a substantial portion of the market for the forseeable.

But EV's are growing. In a big way.

Last edited:
As per ETH, I read something today, that the transaction fees are too high, and the speeds to slow.

Any opinions on that?
I assume ETH 2.0 will address the speed. No idea about the fees or details.

This is correct. 2.0 has been a constant struggle. They'll get there eventually.

But, ya, the last 48 have not been kind to my crypto portfolio. Almost 42k BTC price down to 30K - not for the faint of heart. I used at as a time to buy low on BTC and some of the other long term coins I like - DCR & ELA. Really curious to see how this reacts here. I wouldnt be shocked to see another dip into the 27-28k range. I wanted to hold off purchasing more til a deeper dip, but trying to time the bottom is a fools errand.

💎🙌 - this is going to be afun ride the next few yrs.

The electric's actually have a ton of power, it's the range and the charging that are still issues.

Let me ask you this question. If you invest in TSLA today, you are buying the business at an enterprise value of $835bn. What is an acceptable rerun on that capital? In other words, as a business owner, what cash flow should you expect to have delivered to you annually on that investment? 10%? if that’s your minimum, then TSLA will need to earn $83bn to justify your investment.Now, when do you suppose TSLA may earn that amount of money Each year? Is the return estimate off? Should it be higher? Maybe 15%? Then it needs to earn $126bn.

Now, I realize that TSLA has unique assets and the potential to have various income streams emerge, in the future, surrounding its share of the EV market along with the various revenue streams they can earn in each vehicle. Great.

So, how long will it take for them to earn a 10% annual return on the enterprise value today? The longer it takes, by definition, the less certain.

And that’s the crux of the arguement. tSLA May achieve great things. But it’s nearly impossible to justify its value economically today.

I would not put new money into Tesla at this level. I agree that it has gotten way ahead of itself. 3-4 years ago, not even the biggest Tesla bull would have predicted this stock to be this high at this point into its development. Henceforth, I suggested a 20-40% correction will take place at some point. The question is what will be the starting point of the correction - $800... $900... $1,000? It is difficult to predict. Don't step in front of a fast moving train. This is also why I suggested selling way out of the money call options. Eventually, Tesla will grow into this valuation especially given its current trajectory, lead in the the EV and automation industry along with the movement to "green energy".

I will be a late adopter because the covered parking I have at my condo does not have eletricty save a few lights, and I do not see the association wiring charging stations for 48 spots.

And the 42 open air spots will be even more expensive. What do you think 40-50 million charging stations are going to cost. And who's going to pay for them? All electric by 2035? I don't think so.

That is also why BLNK charging is up 20% in one day and up a ton just on this year.
the bets are being placed on the evolution of electric vehicles and green energy in the future

Reactions: RU-05
That is also why BLNK charging is up 20% in one day and up a ton just on this year.
the bets are being placed on the evolution of electric vehicles and green energy in the future

Not today. The direction is clear, but market's been moving like we will have an all electric 2025.

And the 42 open air spots will be even more expensive. What do you think 40-50 million charging stations are going to cost. And who's going to pay for them? All electric by 2035? I don't think so.
I believe the infrastructure challenges will slow EV uptake. However, I assume there will be other companies that try to address this. If you believe in EV, you should invest in the entire value chain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT