ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Talk about living in the past

Phil was hilarious and afraid of everything under the sun.
Bugs, smoke, crowds, planes and figuring out where he was.
The players would kid him and practical joke him,to death, and he always took it with a big laugh... what a great man.
I used to bring him up the elevator to his room in all the team hotels in 85-86... he would hand me his key because there was no way he could find his room in a big hotel.
He used to come to Kenilworth and watch softball games

How about being allowed to listen to The World Series on a transistor radio in High School. Pretty cool!
Never did the radio thing but fondly remember Ms Severence my 2nd grade teacher allowing us to watch a 69 WS game in the little AV room. I think we watched the moon landing in there too

Reactions: ruready07
If memory serves me center field at old Yankee Stadium was 467 ft. Wonder how many fly ball outs over 407 Mantle had in his career. Would have been HR in today’s world

The sign said 461 feet. Mantle was a pull hitter, especially left-handed because of the short right field fence. It went from 296 at the line to 344 at the bullpen, so there was plenty of room there. It was especially important to be a pull hitter when hitting right handed because the left field poll was 301feet away, but the distances quickly became much longer as you moved away from the line. You're right, though, Mantle did hit a lot of shots in Yankee Stadium that would be homers to center in today's stadiums, including the new Yankee Stadium.

The sign said 461 feet. Mantle was a pull hitter, especially left-handed because of the short right field fence. It went from 296 at the line to 344 at the bullpen, so there was plenty of room there. It was especially important to be a pull hitter when hitting right handed because the left field poll was 301feet away, but the distances quickly became much longer as you moved away from the line. You're right, though, Mantle did hit a lot of shots in Yankee Stadium that would be homers to center in today's stadiums, including the new Yankee Stadium.
Truthfully Camden, Mickey was a dead pull hitter right handed, and was also much tougher to strike out from that side

Truthfully Camden, Mickey was a dead pull hitter right handed, and was also much tougher to strike out from that side

He once said, I think, that he would have hit exclusively right handed if he been with Boston or Detroit. But Google tells me that he hit 372 home runs left-handed, and only 164 righthanded. I think that may have been partly due to the right field configuration in Yankee Stadium.

He once said, I think, that he would have hit exclusively right handed if he been with Boston or Detroit. But Google tells me that he hit 372 home runs left-handed, and only 164 righthanded. I think that may have been partly due to the right field configuration in Yankee Stadium.
Absolutely... plus many more right handed pitchers.
My dad told me first hand, Mickey would kill third basemen bating right handed, he was much more of a line drive hitter right handed.

Reactions: retired711
Where to start? Baseball, I have a NY Mets paper placemat signed by Tug McGraw, Yogi, Casey Stengel, and a couple others that I can't make out. Can't vouch for the authenticty as I wasn't there. Later at a game got my signed bat with Swoboda's sig, a cherished possession that my mother disposed of when I went off to live at Rutgers.
Tons of NY Knick photos. All-time favorite was when I went to Knick game with my dad who was a semi-pro photographer. All the Knick players were hanging out in street clothes pre-game watching Olympic game. I still have my 11x14 B&W photo with Willis Reed with his arm around me, my most cherished sports memorabilia possession. Tons of other Knick great photos. Can you imagine being being able to walk up and take pics/talk to the players these days, SIGH.
My old man was a boxing fanatic, and took tons of pics of both the matches, and the celebrities in the stands. I know some are probably worth a small fortune. I'm talking Joe Frazier, Ali, etc. Oscar Bonavena even stayed at my house a couple of times.

Where to start? Baseball, I have a NY Mets paper placemat signed by Tug McGraw, Yogi, Casey Stengel, and a couple others that I can't make out. Can't vouch for the authenticty as I wasn't there. Later at a game got my signed bat with Swoboda's sig, a cherished possession that my mother disposed of when I went off to live at Rutgers.
Tons of NY Knick photos. All-time favorite was when I went to Knick game with my dad who was a semi-pro photographer. All the Knick players were hanging out in street clothes pre-game watching Olympic game. I still have my 11x14 B&W photo with Willis Reed with his arm around me, my most cherished sports memorabilia possession. Tons of other Knick great photos. Can you imagine being being able to walk up and take pics/talk to the players these days, SIGH.
My old man was a boxing fanatic, and took tons of pics of both the matches, and the celebrities in the stands. I know some are probably worth a small fortune. I'm talking Joe Frazier, Ali, etc. Oscar Bonavena even stayed at my house a couple of times.
Be honest, did you use the Swoboda signed bat for play?

Aha, A softball player!
My brothers and all had Mantle game used gloves...used em, lost em.
They’re only worth 100 grand a piece now
And I thought my mom throwing away all my bb cards when I went to college was bad. Being a die hard Yankee fan I would trade my mays and snider cards for mantle cards. I remember having about 10 of his rookie cards plus as many other Yankee player cards I could get my hands on. Also I once had highest 3 game set at your dads bowling alley

Reactions: zappaa
And I thought my mom throwing away all my bb cards when I went to college was bad. Being a die hard Yankee fan I would trade my mays and snider cards for mantle cards. I remember having about 10 of his rookie cards plus as many other Yankee player cards I could get my hands on. Also I once had highest 3 game set at your dads bowling alley
A 700 series?

. I have been a Rutgers fan since I was a kid in Highland Park Will I ever see success again. ?Pandemonium in P-way was our Mt.. Rushmore. I want to be relevant again damnit. But I want it more for Beaced. Can we give him some joy? Schiano .Piano. Soprano. Whatever it takes. Can we agree on that,?

not financially perhaps, but other than money, it seems all the former Big East schools were better off and more relevant in the Big East.

and UMd was a better fit in the ACC.

just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT