ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Temple on-campus stadium going forward

@e5fdny points out that there appears to be a parking deck in the background.

Which, while providing parking, does nothing for tailgating.

End of the day, it probably winds up being like Chestnut Hill. They have deck parking, there's nowhere to tailgate and BC never, ever sells out its venue.
The only people who seem to "tailgate" are the students who live in in the last remaining quadrangle of the old Mods. Not really a tailgate as there are no cars, but they party pretty well. I have seen people actually tailgate in the parking deck but not my idea of a good time. We are fortunate. We have a very nice tailgate scene at Rutgers.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Nuts,

Been awhile since you have been to main campus. Quite a few spots in lots on Montgomery ave and around the arena.

Oh it's been a very long time, for sure, just looking at the rendering however and trying to figure out where there are 5000 spots in the "immediate" area and what would be consider "immediate." I'm not even sure how many we have on Bush and there a lot but there is a lot of "space," as well, that's turned into parking.

Always gotta be one who complains lol...first off there are a slew of variables that would go into a cost comparison, and we have NO idea what their side would look like at this point, all the way down to "does it have bathrooms" lol! Second, IIRC more than $30M of our expansion went to the excavation of the north end zone alone (including transport of the dirt, et al, to Staten Island...).

Then they had to spend extra money to fixed the major design flaw, the gap.

I too think it's a smart move. And the stadium for them (35,000) is perfect for them. I'm sure there is a contingency for expanding it as well. This is so much better than playing in the behemoth of the Eagles stadium.

It'll never happen BUT agree wholeheartedly and am (believe it or not) happy for them.

Reactions: RU MAN
For Temple's benefit this needs to happen. The Eagles will hold Temple hostage every time the lease comes up for renewal (which should be criminal with the Linc being mostly taxpayer funded).

It's a completely different relationship than UPitt has with the Steelers.
And why's that? Why doesn't the Steelers administration treat Pitt like second class citizens?

The Vet was too big. It didn’t fit our market or niche. Even when Bruce arians was fielding fairly competitive teams, top end attendance figures were usually only in the 40s. Vet came in handy only in those years we hosted PSU.

Not to beat a dead horse, but our past decision makers made some drastic boneheaded choices that ultimately resulted in grave results

The Vet was too big. It didn’t fit our market or niche. Even when Bruce arians was fielding fairly competitive teams, top end attendance figures were usually only in the 40s. Vet came in handy only in those years we hosted PSU.

Not to beat a dead horse, but our past decision makers made some drastic boneheaded choices that ultimately resulted in grave results

We know what that is like.

And why's that? Why doesn't the Steelers administration treat Pitt like second class citizens?

Since I'm not Jeff Lurie, I can't answer why. The Eagles don't want Temple there. When the stadium opened in 2003, they couldn't agree on lease terms until a month before the season started.

It's owned by the city. A state school like Temple should get preferential terms, but the Eagles operate the stadium.

Temple-University-Stadium.0.jpg

Very hard to believe that this old stadium actually had 34,000 seats. No way unless they counted sitting on the grass hill in the endzone. A new Stadium of 35,000 on campus makes perfect sense for Temple. Will help recruiting and improve their AAC positioning.[/QUOTE]

Lurie’s argument was that we “ruined” the integrity of his field with us playing on it. Unlike the Rooney family that felt a civic duty to Pitt, Lurie is a silver spoon child from Boston. Has no ties to Philly so of course he has no reason to look out for the city school. It’s all about revenue for him.

If you're going to do it, you might as well make it a steep concrete box. Make it intimidating for guys to go in there. Don't make it nice

(The worst thing to happen to the U was going to a nice satdium)

it's a positive step for Temple, at least. I thought the idea was DOA because the neighborhood was so dead-set against it, but at least they're having conversations.

Why would anyone begrudge a school trying to improve its football experience?

You won’t see the lots in these renderings.

On the East Side stands, that’s Broad St. you guy see what is portrayed as a pedestrian crosswalk? The lots are to the left of that, on the campus. An immediate lot holds 500+ vehicles.

If you look further down Broad and you see a building with a glass lookout on the corner. That’s Cecil b Moore Ave. 4 lots over there which accommodate 3000 or more vehicles. A church lot, a bit further down CBM Ave holds another 1000 or so. The garage which you kind of see behind the structure with the T on it, holds 3000+ vehicles. People that don’t tailgate would likely go there.

It's such a cute little thing. It even has a sort of upper deck on the sidelines. I wonder if they'll use a curtain to cover it like SHU at the rock?

They also won't have to worry about parking or tailgating since no one would bring a car to that crappy neighborHOOD.
HOOD? C'mon who are you, Trump Rutgers?

Reactions: tico brown
I wasn't allowed to read it as it said I needed to subscribe but quite honestly, if it is 35k seating, I have two immediate thoughts.
1) Will they ever fill it if they are not playing Rutgers/Pitt/PSU/ND?
2) If you hope for a P5 invite, what would make anyone thing 35k seats is enough to entice any P5 conference even if you do fill it?

Prob room/capacity for expansion down the road.

Anyone trying to get an on-campus stadium is a good thing to me.

But seriously, considering the rent costs, you don't think Temple would rather have its own stadium filled, even if more than half are Rutgers fans, than having those fans in the Linc? Think a little, folks.

But what struck me about this thread is how often schools that don't have all the natural advantages of long-standing fan bases and history of big-time success make things worse for themselves with boneheaded decisions. To hear Temple fans talk of their administration is simply eerie.

But best of luck to them. We're where we are, they're where they are, and if we do what we should do we'll have little to worry about.

Reactions: cicero grimes
We all know what did Temple in and we should just say it..

JoePA's snakeoil job on forming of the Big East and "holding out" for an all-sports eastern conference. (of course Temple had its own problems too.. like the city of Philly itself.. but a good conference might have saved it).

If JoePA and Penn State was willing to just be an equal in an all sports league we would have had a great eastern all-sports league with

Penn State
Pitt
Cinci
Temple and Nova both playing football in Philly
Rutgers
WVU
UCONN (maybe playing football much earlier)
BC
Syracuse

and for all we know.. Miami and Florida State and VTech.. all of which looked for homes for their programs. Maybe Notre Dame might have joined.. (prior to that NBC deal they got).. still doubtful.

That is a fantastic basketball conference and maybe, with an early all-sports TV deal with ESPN.. maybe the lesser football schools at the time.. Rutgers, Cinci, Temple and Nova... (UCONN) might all have improved.

Reactions: MozRU
Our past administrations are why we are where we are. The new regimes thought/think differently. It’s not the po-dunk campus it once was. It’s become almost a mini city inside of a city. They think this venue will create an on campus experience for the students so the future fan base will exceed the 20k norms right now once they become alums. Big gamble? You bet. Lot of money to plunk down on a project you hope pays dividends going forward.

For me as a middle aged alum, I know I won’t see a P5 invite in my lifetime, but as I’ve said in previous posts, where this program was when I was a student and where it is today are night and day.

I never thought I’d live to see the day when our basketball program fell off the map of national relevancy

Reactions: JoeRU0304
GoodOlRutgers,

You forgot MD. They were set to leave the ACC for the Eastern League.

Was Paterno greedy and selfish? Of course, but other than Pitt, the rest of us didn’t carry a lot of leverage.

Our biggest mistake was firing Bruce Arians. The guy could coach and recruit, but he knew we needed facilities to keep pace with everyone else. They denied him and it caused a huge rift with the higher ups. When Paul Palmer signed with an agent during the 1986 season and we were forced to forfeit all of our games, that broke the camel’s back and sent the program into a death spiral because the next 3 hires were disasters.

Last edited:
Our past administrations are why we are where we are. The new regimes thought/think differently. It’s not the po-dunk campus it once was. It’s become almost a mini city inside of a city. They think this venue will create an on campus experience for the students so the future fan base will exceed the 20k norms right now once they become alums. Big gamble? You bet. Lot of money to plunk down on a project you hope pays dividends going forward.

For me as a middle aged alum, I know I won’t see a P5 invite in my lifetime, but as I’ve said in previous posts, where this program was when I was a student and where it is today are night and day.

I never thought I’d live to see the day when our basketball program fell off the map of national relevancy

There’s definitely advantages to having your own stadium and I’m a bit surprised you’ve gotten this far with it; seems like that issue has been in talks since at least 2013. Looking at that initial rendering though I think some things would need to change. It literately looks crammed into the space with no room for expansion. I also don’t think the 130 mil or whatever price tag is realistic for a job of that nature in a major Eastern city like Philly unless you’re not going to have indoor plumbing or electricity at the place. You need to find a balance between economy, luxury and functionality so you’re not stuck with an outdated albatross 5 years after it opens.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Temple and Rutgers would make a competitive ‘backyard’ rivalry, notwithstanding the different conference affiliations. Why not kick off the season with an alternating home-and-home series?

We have a upcoming series with RU starting in 2020 I believe. I’m sure our administration would be totally on board. Problem for you guys are the 9 league games so you have 1 less open date to schedule OOC games.

I’m old enough to remember how the proposed Eastern League would have been and it definitely sucks to see all of the former Eastern Independents scattered in 4 separate conferences. It’s a crime that folks couldn’t put agendas aside and get it done.

As for the stadium itself Joe, this project is going to skyrocket well past 130 million. 15th St, the block over from Broad would be shutdown to accommodate the footprint. Closing the street means having to re-route all of the utilities that run underneath it.

This project which no doubt would suffer delays and cost overrruns will end up costing I figure between 180-200 million after all is said and done. A major corporate sponsor has apparently already committed to naming rights and there is talk about a smaller sponsor coming onboard as well. President feels pretty confident that TU’s on the hook for 50 million.

Expansion if that ever came about would be on the east side of the stands all the way to the south end zone. Height of the north end zone will not change because the apparent agreement is for the structure on that side to not exceed the height of the row houses on Norris St

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Temple and Rutgers would make a competitive ‘backyard’ rivalry, notwithstanding the different conference affiliations. Why not kick off the season with an alternating home-and-home series?
For the very reason you mention "backyard" rivalry. That would not be a guaranteed win, rivalries are often unpredictable due to the intense emotions surrounding the game. I don't see how it would benefit our program to develop a rivalry with a local G5 program. We recruit many of the same kids, yes, not necessarily our starters, but certainly our very important role players and second string kids.

I don't even like this future 4 game series, we should not be giving them any platform. Temple I believe is the 28th largest university, 300k+ living alumni, sitting in the 4th largest TV market, have put about 1 billion into that campus taking over more and more of the surrounding neighborhood, and with a possible brand new 35k on campus stadium expandable to 40-45k, I just don't see how that helps us. I hope this stadium never gets built and they decide once and for all to drop football.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
For the very reason you mention "backyard" rivalry. That would not be a guaranteed win, rivalries are often unpredictable due to the intense emotions surrounding the game. I don't see how it would benefit our program to develop a rivalry with a local G5 program. We recruit many of the same kids, yes, not necessarily our starters, but certainly our very important role players and second string kids.

I don't even like this future 4 game series, we should not be giving them any platform. Temple I believe is the 28th largest university, 300k+ living alumni, sitting in the 4th largest TV market, have put about 1 billion into that campus taking over more and more of the surrounding neighborhood, and with a possible brand new 35k on campus stadium expandable to 40-45k, I just don't see how that helps us. I hope this stadium never gets built and they decide once and for all to drop football.
I can see both sides of these points.

While I wouldn’t mind having them in the OOC rotation, I don’t feel the need to play anybody going forward “all the time” unless they are a Conference foe.

A series here and there is enough. Which is why I’m cool with the upcoming one but not cool with it being even. 2-1 would have been fine.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Roflmao. That, I can assure you with this new regime will NEVER happen. The clown who got us kicked out of the BE, his agenda was to drop football, and although it brought us to our knees, we got a 2nd chance.

We’ll be a thorn in the sides of our former Eastern counterparts for the remainder of my life.

Temple I believe is the 28th largest university, 300k+ living alumni, sitting in the 4th largest TV market, I hope this stadium never gets built and they decide once and for all to drop football.

We get it, you want them to drop their program. You bring up these same points everytime any Temple discussion comes up on this forum.

Efdny,

Cmon man. We signed home and homes with Miami, GT, MD, BC, and Duke to name a few of our upcoming OOC series. Our AD isn’t signing off on a 2 for 1 with RU. You better come with history and tradition like Oklahoma has before he’ll agree to those terms. He’s a businessman and a shrewd one at that. We’re not talking about 1990 idiots running the athletic department anymore.

e5fdny

Cmon man. We signed home and homes with Miami, GT, MD, BC, and Duke to name a few of our upcoming OOC series. Our AD isn’t signing off on a 2 for 1 with RU. You better come with history and tradition like Oklahoma has before he’ll agree to those terms. He’s a businessman and a shrewd one at that. We’re not talking about 1990 idiots running the athletic department anymore.
We come, like Penn State does, with something more important...people. Who spend money while they’re there.

Nobody else on that list does that.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Efdny,

Miami will find a way to weasel out of their game at the Linc. They tried pulling that crap with RU which led to the OOC series being cancelled.

I’ve met our AD, spoken to our AD and I know exactly how he’d answer this....in his words

When RU comes with the track record that PSU, ND and OU have developed over the decades, we’ll talk 2 for 1 deals. Until your program accomplishes that, it’s an even trade.

Bring all the people you want that “spend money” as you say but win a few national titles or Rose Bowls before you come with that arrogance though

Going to be hard to do Matt. Miami is on the 2019 schedule. They’ll get stuck paying a nice buyout fee if they elect to go that route.

We all know what did Temple in and we should just say it..

JoePA's snakeoil job on forming of the Big East and "holding out" for an all-sports eastern conference. (of course Temple had its own problems too.. like the city of Philly itself.. but a good conference might have saved it).

If JoePA and Penn State was willing to just be an equal in an all sports league we would have had a great eastern all-sports league with

Penn State
Pitt
Cinci
Temple and Nova both playing football in Philly
Rutgers
WVU
UCONN (maybe playing football much earlier)
BC
Syracuse

and for all we know.. Miami and Florida State and VTech.. all of which looked for homes for their programs. Maybe Notre Dame might have joined.. (prior to that NBC deal they got).. still doubtful.

That is a fantastic basketball conference and maybe, with an early all-sports TV deal with ESPN.. maybe the lesser football schools at the time.. Rutgers, Cinci, Temple and Nova... (UCONN) might all have improved.
Big East football should have never have died. Screw what the rest of the country said, it was a great football conference. Circa 2006.

When you step back and see where Pitt, PSU, Cuse, BC, West Virginia and Maryland are playing and NOT playing, it really is a shame.

I’ve met our AD, spoken to our AD and I know exactly how he’d answer this....in his words

When RU comes with the track record that PSU, ND and OU have developed over the decades, we’ll talk 2 for 1 deals. Until your program accomplishes that, it’s an even trade.

Bring all the people. Win a few national titles or Rose Bowls before you come with that arrogance though

Going to be hard to do Matt. Miami is on the 2019 schedule. They’ll get stuck paying a nice buyout fee if they elect to go that route.
I hear ya on that one, but like I said, The U is sneaky. Also are you concerned that your AD might be poached by a P5 school down the road?

Good question. I don’t really know. He flies a bit under the radar which is probably a good thing for us.

My gut tells me he stays. I think he really wants to mark his legacy on the stadium project.

I mean I guess it’s possible if some school throws stupid money at him like Baylor did with Rhule, but I think, at this very moment, he knows what TU has the potential to become. I think he’s ultimately angling for an ACC invite once their GOR contract expires and the next round of musical chairs begins.

Moz,

Perfect world, I’d love to see all of the Eastern indy’s come to their senses and create a full fledged Eastern League. Rivalries would be restored. It would be nasty, yet great tv content.

Problem is no one is willing to give up their money. It’s too great today and the fear of not being able to make the same amount in a new league hinders it from ever happening.

Bring all the people you want that “spend money” as you say but win a few national titles or Rose Bowls before you come with that arrogance though.
No arrogance, just business.

This will look even worse on a smaller scale...

rich-schultz-temple-v-rutgers.jpg

weiss21s-3-web.jpg

I see no maroon or even much black (since it was a blackout, correct?) in those two pics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT