ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The joy of the stick shift

as for electrics, we're aiming all wrong.

the reason gas works logistically, is because everybody but diesels use the same standardized gas, with the same gas tank fill port, and a fill up takes a couple mins.

standardize easily replaceable smaller modular batteries.

when you're low on power you pull into a refill/charging station, attendant pulls the empty and partially empty batteries from the battery drawer on your car's underside, takes a power reading to see how much juice is left, credits you for the juice remaining, loads up your battery drawer with fully charged modular batteries, you pay the power difference between what you gave up and the refills you got, and go on your way.

you never own the batteries. cars can have different size battery drawers, that can handle more or less modular batteries.

station recharges the modular batteries you gave up, and those go into another car when fully charged by the station.

current gas station/convenience marts could handle gas and battery exchange until gas cars are extinct, at which point they become just exchange stations/convenience marts.

pulling the empty modular batteries and replacing with fully charged ones should take no longer than filling your tank.

as battery tech improves, just keep the standardized modular connections and dimensions, and everything should still work fine. just as a 9V alkaline works fine in the same smoke detector you had an old school 9V non alkaline in.

i suppose the station itself buys their initial battery stock, and works off the trade ins from there out.

batteries will someday go bad.

exchange stations will need to take that into account when setting exchange prices.
And of course they will figure out a way to keep them dry underneath the car and easy to remove during winter temps below 20 degrees.
And most certainly the station would be equipped with a windmill or roof top solar panels to recharge these small light modular batteries
inside the warehouse attached to the station. Too bad that it probably would be impossible to make these stations self-service.

I'm 53 and have never owned an automatic transmission. And I'm not even a "car person," really. I just like having that much control -- and the fact nobody can ever ask to borrow my car.

Alas, diabetic neuropathy has made juggling both feed among the pedals a bit dangerous, and I have on occasion stalled because I cannot feel exactly where they are. So later this month I'm abandoning the stick for life.

And yes, I will miss it -- and it has ZERO to do with enjoying churning my own butter, but if I had a lawn I would use a push mower. So take that for what it's worth.

10/10ths isn't "racing", it's adhesion limits. And I have years of EMS experience which have, on many occasions, warranted driving to the limits of my vehicle.
10/10ths is the absolute limit, racing. You should never drive cars on the road at their absolute limit. That's a good way to get people killed.

“10/10ths” is a measurement used in motorsport racing describing how hard the driver is pushing their car to the absolute physical limit. At 8 or 9/10ths, the driver is pushing their car extremely hard, but not to the absolute limit of 10/10ths. Pushed any harder and both the car and driver will ultimately lose control.

10/10ths is the absolute limit, racing. You should never drive cars on the road at their absolute limit. That's a good way to get people killed.

“10/10ths” is a measurement used in motorsport racing describing how hard the driver is pushing their car to the absolute physical limit. At 8 or 9/10ths, the driver is pushing their car extremely hard, but not to the absolute limit of 10/10ths. Pushed any harder and both the car and driver will ultimately lose control.

You don't read well.

I know exactly what it means - it means the limits of adhesion, as I said.

Some people just like driving manuals since it makes them feel like that have more control over their car and it is more fun to drive that way.

Reactions: BABYBULL24
I'm 53 and have never owned an automatic transmission. And I'm not even a "car person," really. I just like having that much control -- and the fact nobody can ever ask to borrow my car.

Great reason. :D

Similarly, driving a manual is a great theft deterrent.

You don't read well.

I know exactly what it means - it means the limits of adhesion, as I said.
I read just fine, 10/10ths is a racing term. Anyway if you're driving at the limits of adhesion of your car on public streets you are a menace and a fool.

I miss my manual so much. I bought my first without knowing how to drive it. My dad took me to an empty parking lot that day to learn as I needed to drive to work the next day. Needless to say the next day I still wasnt very good and must have stalled over 10x going to work

I read just fine, 10/10ths is a racing term. Anyway if you're driving at the limits of adhesion of your car on public streets you are a menace and a fool.

10/10ths isn't specific to racing.

And since you have such strong opinions on the subject, one can only hope that you don't ever have to dial 911 because your infant stops breathing in the middle of the night. Or, at the very least, you would have the courtesy to to refrain from calling me "a menace and a fool" when I come through your front door.

I think I'll put you on ignore, now. Because people like you are annoying assholes.

Three on the tree in a station wagon is the only right way to do it. These guys with their fancy 5 speeds or even 6 speeds are just show offs.

Yup - 3 on the tree in the Ford Van.
My boss told me back in 86 if you can drive it - you can take it home.

I was looking so bad in that van with my shirt off - I didn't even like myself. Many 12 packs of Old Milwaukee and girls soon followed.
Great summer!

But my old boss did impress on me - it's a safety issue if somebody got hurt you need to know how to drive that van to the hospital and I did learn. Long before cellphones and 911.

Peace out

10/10ths isn't specific to racing.

And since you have such strong opinions on the subject, one can only hope that you don't ever have to dial 911 because your infant stops breathing in the middle of the night. Or, at the very least, you would have the courtesy to to refrain from calling me "a menace and a fool" when I come through your front door.

I think I'll put you on ignore, now. Because people like you are annoying assholes.
Go right ahead. People like who drive 10/10ths on public roads are assholes.

Driving like that in an emergency situation is completely different and not at all related to what you were originally referring to.

Chill out guys - it's just a fun thread.

No worries, I make it a habit of ignoring judgmental dicks who make shrill, declarative statements with zero knowledge of actual events or circumstances. It's the worst kind of "fool".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT