ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

Clemson I can't speak about

FSU I know for sure there is mutual interest and assurances have been given re. acceptance into the conference once the GOR is straightened out

You couldn't be more wrong re. the pedigree for FSU that the B1G is looking for - you're a solid poster, but that assertion is so off I won't even dive into it

Re. ND, you're taking the strawman that was said about Pitt and twisting it worse than a politician. ND and Pitt's past history are not mutually inclusive on one another; there's many other variables which you're not considering, including the most important one ($$$$$$).

ND will eventually join a conference and I'd be shocked if it wasn't the B1G. The main questions are when, which one, at what cost, and whom they bring (if any schools) with them.

Again FSU would be the only B1G school that is not an AAU member (Research University). Nebraska is the other school which was an AAU member but lost it while they were a member of the B1G and the B1G was not going to throw them out.

UCLA, USC, Washington and Oregon all AAU Members. FSU not. May not matter to the B1G.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Again FSU would be the only B1G school that is not an AAU member (Research University). Nebraska is the other school which was an AAU member but lost it while they were a member of the B1G and the B1G was not going to throw them out.

UCLA, USC, Washington and Oregon all AAU Members. FSU not. May not matter to the B1G.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
AAU is preferred but not a prerequisite

Reactions: Ridge 22
I think how badly FOX wants the Florida market and the schools like osu and Michigan would want a footprint in Florida - that’s weighs more than FSUs lack of AAU and research dollars that probably would have made them a non candidate in years past .

If FOX can get the big presidents to let Oregon in then FSU wouldn’t be an issue either.

I think how badly FOX wants the Florida market and the schools like osu and Michigan would want a footprint in Florida - that’s weighs more than FSUs lack of AAU and research dollars that probably would have made them a non candidate in years past .

If FOX can get the big presidents to let Oregon in then FSU wouldn’t be an issue either.
Yes, all that matters is increasing school revenue. That is far and away the most important thing for every president.

You’ve lost your mind.
I'm surprised you guys are engaging him. His thought process on all of this is just way off

moving on, of all the schools about to get gut punched because it's coming sooner than you think, Pitt is the one that bothers me most. I love Pitt and wish them the best. I can't imagine a rebranded ACC without FSU, Clemson, much less the other defections. B12 is going to have to make some hard choices on membership both future and CURRENT!

The GOR issue isn't resolved (in court) so FSU and Clemson may not be leaving.

However, they could leave by paying big $$$$$ to the ACC per GOR.

Agree, have to wait this one out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Oh they are leaving. Arguing otherwise looks foolish

I'm surprised you guys are engaging him. His thought process on all of this is just way off

moving on, of all the schools about to get gut punched because it's coming sooner than you think, Pitt is the one that bothers me most. I love Pitt and wish them the best. I can't imagine a rebranded ACC without FSU, Clemson, much less the other defections. B12 is going to have to make some hard choices on membership both future and CURRENT!

I hear you. It’s just he’s been a poster around here for a long time, and I hope he stays because he’s a good read in general. But about the ACC and realignment, he has been very dismissive and smug for a long time about their outlook.

Now that FSU and Clemson are actively working their way out, he is now painting a rosy picture about life in the ACC without them.

I hear you. It’s just he’s been a poster around here for a long time, and I hope he stays because he’s a good read in general. But about the ACC and realignment, he has been very dismissive and smug for a long time about their outlook.

Now that FSU and Clemson are actively working their way out, he is now painting a rosy picture about life in the ACC without them.
agree on all counts especially him being a good long time poster. He has been good and is not an ass. I stand corrected!

You have a good Board where open discussions are welcome.

People can have different opinions when discussing a subject.

I respect other peoples point of view and never engage in attacking the person giving their comments.

What I have noticed on this board is that some Rutgers posters will personally attack/insult other posters (including other Rutgers posters) who they disagree with.

I will not engage in this type of discourse and will always be respectful of other peoples opinions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I respect other peoples point of view and never engage in attacking the person giving their comments.

What I have noticed on this board is that some Rutgers posters will personally attack/insult other posters (including other Rutgers posters) who they disagree with.

I will not engage in this type of discourse and will always be respectful of other peoples opinions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Panther you’re definitely one of the good ones, we may disagree on some issues but that’s part of what makes sports fun

Pitt is in a tough spot in large part due to PSU. I wish the old Pitt stadium would be have been refurbished and the bball team play at PPG paints arena instead (no idea of either of those scenarios are even possible)

In regard to the city, Pittsburgh is awesome. Great sports, awesome bars, solid food scene and cool people

My hope is Pitt gets into and dominates the B12. Might take a big $ donor but that what’s great about NIL - no longer are only a few programs able to be elite

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
For the most part your posts are informative and appreciated

however, We do not have to keep hearing about Pitts past accomplishments and then comparing them to what RU has done
The fans already understand that

Again, at this point in time, I would rather be RU than Pitt, and its not even close

Reactions: BigRnj and Ridge 22
I catch locked on BIG TEN podcasts. He spoke of ND coming to the BIG.
I always thought they would be the last piece of the puzzle.
What if ND was all in? Who could they want as a partner,who would the BIG want?
UNC?Stanford, FSU?
Do you even need a partner? Anyone coming in has to add to the value (which after FSU and ND, hard to tell if even Clemson does that).

There are 18 teams in the football conference -- and 2 bye weeks. The B1G can work around conference play with an odd number of teams at this point. For the Olympic sports, ND is right in the Big 10's heartland and wouldn't need a travel partner, where FSU alone is on an island and Tallahassee isn't the easiest spot in Florida to get to (compared to Tampa, Orlando, Miami, etc.) So maybe Clemson or UNC as an FSU travel partner, but if ND decides in some bizarro universe to give up football independence and join, they don't need a travel partner.

Do you even need a partner? Anyone coming in has to add to the value (which after FSU and ND, hard to tell if even Clemson does that).

There are 18 teams in the football conference -- and 2 bye weeks. The B1G can work around conference play with an odd number of teams at this point. For the Olympic sports, ND is right in the Big 10's heartland and wouldn't need a travel partner, where FSU alone is on an island and Tallahassee isn't the easiest spot in Florida to get to (compared to Tampa, Orlando, Miami, etc.) So maybe Clemson or UNC as an FSU travel partner, but if ND decides in some bizarro universe to give up football independence and join, they don't need a travel partner.
I wrote that because I thought ND would be the last one to join. That might not be the case. If ND came in tomorrow, you know they would try to push for another school.

Also, would a school that might be leaning towards the SEC (like Supposedly NC is).
Would the addition of ND be a selling point for them to pick the BIG?

I do think if they add schools in will be an even number. I think the only way we add an odd number of teams. It would be an odd number would be if they were holding a spot for ND ironically.

Panther you’re definitely one of the good ones, we may disagree on some issues but that’s part of what makes sports fun

Pitt is in a tough spot in large part due to PSU. I wish the old Pitt stadium would be have been refurbished and the bball team play at PPG paints arena instead (no idea of either of those scenarios are even possible)

In regard to the city, Pittsburgh is awesome. Great sports, awesome bars, solid food scene and cool people

My hope is Pitt gets into and dominates the B12. Might take a big $ donor but that what’s great about NIL - no longer are only a few programs able to be elite

As I said before, you have a very good active board which engages in many different/varied topics.

Although I like pro sports, I particularly enjoy college sports and all of the issues they are currently facing.

I give opinions on what I believe (based on subject research) and enjoy the debate on the topic. In the end people can just agree to disagree and then come back when the issue is resolved.

Not all topics may be sports related. For example, WVU is raising tuition and cutting academic programs due to a 10% drop in student body over the last several years. Penn State will be facing the same kind of decisions due to its drop in student body at its 20 Branch campuses. Luckily for Rutgers and Pitt they don't have these issues. All topics for future OT discussions.

Pitt will survive and prosper because it is well funded based upon it Research Activity and Endowment.

I do not believe the ACC will not fall apart (as some on this board speculate) and will continue to be a viable component of the college sports scene (future topic discussions). If any ACC teams leave (court GOR resolution) they will be replaced by Big 12 schools or an ACC West Pod involving Washington State/Oregon State.

For those who been to Pittsburgh before you know its a great sports town. Even the Pirates are somewhat competitive this year.

Rutgers will face increased competition in the NEW B1G and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Lastly, I was in the camp that wanted Old Pitt Stadium to be refurbished but the administration believed that the on campus land could be put to better use. I am fine with the decision and drive 3.5 miles further to Acrisure Stadium and engage in all the pre/post game activity on the North Shore. Additionally, you cannot beat NFL Club Seats.

Well the 2024 Football Season will begin shortly and we will be able to discuss W-L and who is the better coach Narduzzi or Greg LOL.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
You realize you used a double negative in that statement? 🤣
Once a professor making a presentation at a philosophy conference said:

"There are languages in which a double negative is a negative, and languages in which a double negative is a positive, but there is no language in which a double positive is a negative!"

A voice came from the audience, "yeah, yeah."

As I said before, you have a very good active board which engages in many different/varied topics.

Although I like pro sports, I particularly enjoy college sports and all of the issues they are currently facing.

I give opinions on what I believe (based on subject research) and enjoy the debate on the topic. In the end people can just agree to disagree and then come back when the issue is resolved.

Not all topics may be sports related. For example, WVU is raising tuition and cutting academic programs due to a 10% drop in student body over the last several years. Penn State will be facing the same kind of decisions due to its drop in student body at its 20 Branch campuses. Luckily for Rutgers and Pitt they don't have these issues. All topics for future OT discussions.

Pitt will survive and prosper because it is well funded based upon it Research Activity and Endowment.

I do not believe the ACC will not fall apart (as some on this board speculate) and will continue to be a viable component of the college sports scene (future topic discussions). If any ACC teams leave (court GOR resolution) they will be replaced by Big 12 schools or an ACC West Pod involving Washington State/Oregon State.

For those who been to Pittsburgh before you know its a great sports town. Even the Pirates are somewhat competitive this year.

Rutgers will face increased competition in the NEW B1G and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Lastly, I was in the camp that wanted Old Pitt Stadium to be refurbished but the administration believed that the on campus land could be put to better use. I am fine with the decision and drive 3.5 miles further to Acrisure Stadium and engage in all the pre/post game activity on the North Shore. Additionally, you cannot beat NFL Club Seats.

Well the 2024 Football Season will begin shortly and we will be able to discuss W-L and who is the better coach Narduzzi or Greg LOL.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
a lot here to discuss but the one that jumps out is what teams in the B12 would leave for the ACC? By all accounts, any restructured deal for ACC, sans the heavyweights, will be less and the CFP will be most likely be subject to qual review. We already know Wash and Oregon St add nothing for the networks.

I think that those anticipating that the GOR will be broken are, to use an old cliche, counting their chickens before they're hatched. FSU and Clemson's legal theories aren't ridiculous, but they aren't clear winners either. And there's too much at stake for the ACC for it to be willing to let those two schools escape even at a high price. But who knows?

I think that those anticipating that the GOR will be broken are, to use an old cliche, counting their chickens before they're hatched. FSU and Clemson's legal theories aren't ridiculous, but they aren't clear winners either. And there's too much at stake for the ACC for it to be willing to let those two schools escape even at a high price. But who knows?
All indications point to a settlement reached by mid to late August. That is what I’ve been hearing will happen

They have no cases. They can whine all they want, it doesn't give them any legal standing to try and get out of the contracts they willingly signed and had no issue with up until the SEC and B1G started expanding. I haven't heard a single argument they've made that makes any sense or has any standing. I'm not a lawyer, but their arguments don't even pass the average persons bullshit test.

They'll be stuck there until they can afford to get out and spare say $100 million as opposed to the half billion it would cost to get out now. They'll be out by 2030. Until then, they will be in the ACC.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
They have no cases. They can whine all they want, it doesn't give them any legal standing to try and get out of the contracts they willingly signed and had no issue with up until the SEC and B1G started expanding. I haven't heard a single argument they've made that makes any sense or has any standing. I'm not a lawyer, but their arguments don't even pass the average persons bullshit test.

They'll be stuck there until they can afford to get out and spare say $100 million as opposed to the half billion it would cost to get out now. They'll be out by 2030. Until then, they will be in the ACC.
Care to make a friendly wager on that?

$100mm may be the settlement and that would be a fine investment for FSU. They will make that up before 2030 and by then they will be making about $50mm more annually than their poor former conference mates.

Reactions: mosito
$100mm may be the settlement and that would be a fine investment for FSU. They will make that up before 2030 and by then they will be making about $50mm more annually than their poor former conference mates.
I think the ACC won't settle with FSU or Clemson , doing so opens them up for the B1G and SEC to start poaching before the other gets the best left .
I wouldn't be surprised if AC programs like North Carolina , Virginia and Miami weren't using 3rd parties to see if the B1G or SEC would take them if the ACC letS FSU leave .

Notre Dame knows it has a spot and wouldn't be surprised if the N1G offered them a deal like the ACC gave them if FSU and Clemson get out of the ACC

The ACC's best move is to fight any program's attempt to leave and try to make sure when it's GOR expires in 2036 it has a deal that will make it's revenue sharing close enough to the B1G/SEC that its members will not want to leave.
Letting FSU leave now will just be telling all the others get out now while the getting good because after 2036 the ACC might be getting G-5 money to share

Reactions: retired711
I think the ACC won't settle with FSU or Clemson , doing so opens them up for the B1G and SEC to start poaching before the other gets the best left .
I wouldn't be surprised if AC programs like North Carolina , Virginia and Miami weren't using 3rd parties to see if the B1G or SEC would take them if the ACC letS FSU leave .

Notre Dame knows it has a spot and wouldn't be surprised if the N1G offered them a deal like the ACC gave them if FSU and Clemson get out of the ACC

The ACC's best move is to fight any program's attempt to leave and try to make sure when it's GOR expires in 2036 it has a deal that will make it's revenue sharing close enough to the B1G/SEC that its members will not want to leave.
Letting FSU leave now will just be telling all the others get out now while the getting good because after 2036 the ACC might be getting G-5 money to share
On the surface it would seem detmenential for the ACC to settle, but that leaves them open to get nothing $$ wise anyone else wanting to leave if they lost - essentially, too big of a gamble for them

Same w fsu & Clemson - if a reasonable # was bright to the table they’d jump on it rather than risking going to trial and owing 800 million if they lost

Also, there’s a lot of dirty ACC laundry they don’t want aired, specifically the Swofford’s - if it gets to discovery, they’re finished

I will replay to you directly since you support Pitt because of your posts.

Do not be concerned about Pitt and their financial accomplishments now and in the future.

You referenced the fact that the New Big teams may be making $70 million per year as part of the NEW BIG.

As I believe you are aware, Pitt currently brings in $1.16 billion per year in Research Funded Research Projects.

Additionally, Pitt has a $5.5 Billion Endowment. Significantly, higher than most B1G Universities.

The B1G Sports funding compared Pitts research funding is very small compared to Pitts overall research funding.
Currently, UPMC is investing $1.5 Billion dollars in a New 17 Story Transplant Hospital near OLD PITT STADIUM.

This new hospital transplant complex should bring in significantly more research funding for Pitt and UPMC.

The University of Pittsburgh is currently ranked #45 in the World by US News (2024) as a Global Research University and I'm sure these new additions will only enhance its reputation and standing in the Global Community, thank you for your support for Pitt.

Please review all information I have posted on line and thank you for your support of Pitt.

PITT will be fine financially in the ACC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I will replay to you directly since you support Pitt because of your posts.

Do not be concerned about Pitt and their financial accomplishments now and in the future.

You referenced the fact that the New Big teams may be making $70 million per year as part of the NEW BIG.

As I believe you are aware, Pitt currently brings in $1.16 billion per year in Research Funded Research Projects.

Additionally, Pitt has a $5.5 Billion Endowment. Significantly, higher than most B1G Universities.

The B1G Sports funding compared Pitts research funding is very small compared to Pitts overall research funding.
Currently, UPMC is investing $1.5 Billion dollars in a New 17 Story Transplant Hospital near OLD PITT STADIUM.

This new hospital transplant complex should bring in significantly more research funding for Pitt and UPMC.

The University of Pittsburgh is currently ranked #45 in the World by US News (2024) as a Global Research University and I'm sure these new additions will only enhance its reputation and standing in the Global Community, thank you for your support for Pitt.

Please review all information I have posted on line and thank you for your support of Pitt.

PITT will be fine financially in the ACC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
kinda proving my point bud

I don't think Stanford football fans were concerned about their University as a whole either.
If i were a Stanford football fan i am hoping ND joins the B10 and asks that we be a partner
If i were a Cal Football fan, i do have an illusion of Stanford then bringing us along, but i pretty much know i am screwed

If i were a Pitt fan, i am not concerned about my university. But i would be concerned that my university chooses to stay in a watered down 3rd tier ACC conference instead of joining the Big12. Louisville and NC State will not have that problem and will leave. Even an ACC that doesn't lose anyone other than FSU and Clemson will be seen as 2nd to the Big12. Recruiting talent will diminish, Coaches will get poached by Purdue, Utah and TCU.

But i agree, i Pitt will continue to succeed in Academics....

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT