ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

Clemson and FSU both won National Championships in the ACC in the last 10 years. Actually, more than B1G teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
The strengths and weaknesses of leagues have changed

Would rather be in the big ten, seven days a week

If I were a Pitt fan, I would be long term concerned

Reactions: mosito and lakejj
Pitt Did the wrong thing joining the big east back in 1981

It broke up efforts to form the eastern bb/FB league

You have to hand it to the big east, they were shrewd back then and acted quickly to save their conference
I honestly don't know anything about the 1981 time frame, not aware

The SEC and big ten are under no obligation to save schools from a dying league
I can't see the SEC wanting NC state for example, and V tech also
if FSU and UNC go BIG, who are the targets? ESPN is going to drive the bus in the context of how the SEC wants to expand and other than westward, it's got to be NC and VA

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I have nothing against Rutgers and actually enjoying watching Rutgers football games.

However:

Pitt has won 2 National Championships, Heisman Trophy winner, put 25 players in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame and have 10 players in the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame with D Revis admitted in 2023 and more to come. Additionally, Pitt has had 17 player taken in the NFL Draft (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years.

It remains to be seen how Rutgers and Pitt football accomplishments will evolve in the future.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
and all that success means what? lol, NO ONE GIVES A FK ABOUT ON FIELD PERFORMANCE PAST 2YRS AGO IN THE PARADIGM. The only thing that matters is carriage rates and mkt penetration, eyeballs.

lol at Heisman and 2 Natty's, only looks good when it counts toward a conference commercial

if FSU and UNC go BIG, who are the targets? ESPN is going to drive the bus in the context of how the SEC wants to expand and other than westward, it's got to be NC and VA
Agreed since UNC and FSU
are prime targets
Many fans go beyond that, believing the lesser programs will get snapped up also, which I doubt will happen

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Clemson and FSU both won National Championships in the ACC in the last 10 years. Actually, more than B1G teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
But they feel the ACC isn't B1G enough for them and their leaving will help put the ACC on equal footing with the AAC ( maybe even the PAC,if others hit the exits as well) when FSU and Clemson move on to a better world then the one they're in now.

It's been implied Utah might use the ACC for a holding pattern while they wait for a B1G invite .
FSU seen how being in the ACC helped them get in the college football playoffs last season , decided to leave ASAP

Since the 2014 Championship game , B1G teams has appeared 5 times ( Washington and Oregon are B1G now)
ACC 4 and that program wants a new home and not the ACC

2 B1G wins and the ACC with 2 since the 2014 season
But those 2 ACC wins belongs to a program that doesn't want to be part of the ACC
While the B1G added programs that competeted in NC games in the past 10 years
The B1G winners plan to stay B1G and that's a big difference

Last edited:
The only ACC properties worth considering in this new whacko athletic reality are F$U, UNC, Clemson…in the past I would have argued UNC and NCState are a package deal since NC State is essentially UNC-Raleigh (same system) but Berkeley and UCLA proved that very wrong. The rest of the ACC should think about becoming a kluged conference like the b12…maybe give wazzu and the beavers a home far away.

They will keep the 2 CFP playoff spots.

No question about that.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
no they won't and there is already a vote clause in the CFP agreement for conference modification

when FSU, Clemson, and more leave, you will be lucky to keep 1. AT best, you can hope for a rotating move from B12 to ACC but you won't have 2. ACC already agreed to a massive reduction in the CFP split to share 32% with B12 with no conditions on static affiliations.

I'm so confident on my information and sources, I'll put 10k to the mod of this board, you do the same, winner takes all when this all shakes out.

Agreed since UNC and FSU
are prime targets
Many fans go beyond that, believing the lesser programs will get snapped up also, which I doubt will happen
gotcha

the thing to remember is this; networks need programming and ESPN is locked out of BIG so they'll need more which means more teams

The only ACC properties worth considering in this new whacko athletic reality are F$U, UNC, Clemson…in the past I would have argued UNC and NCState are a package deal since NC State is essentially UNC-Raleigh (same system) but Berkeley and UCLA proved that very wrong. The rest of the ACC should think about becoming a kluged conference like the b12…maybe give wazzu and the beavers a home far away.
I said when this kicked off that the ACC needs to be proactive by letting those teams go and then being aggressive in adding other teams. ACC did not and B12 went on a tear. B12 is managed well

They will keep the 2 CFP playoff spots.

No question about that.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
What 2 playoff spots... the ACC and Big12 conceded that for more money.

You only have 1. Everyone has one.. and based on CFP history, you'll only have 1.5.

When the look in comes in and FSU is gone and maybe others, you're conceding more money.

But it funny as someone else noted... you have no choice but to be a Pitt homer, but your pie in sky narrative continues to change.

Best Pitt can do is join the Big12 , West Virginia and Cincy with Louisville and be part of a football conference and not a basketball conference.

But I get it.. that isn't a sure thing so until then, continue to push this "ACC is ok" narrative.

It's your only play at the moment.

And wait for 2036. Those who can't get out now, will be out then.

Last edited:
I have nothing against Rutgers and actually enjoying watching Rutgers football games.

However:

Pitt has won 2 National Championships, Heisman Trophy winner, put 25 players in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame and have 10 players in the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame with D Revis admitted in 2023 and more to come. Additionally, Pitt has had 17 player taken in the NFL Draft (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years.

It remains to be seen how Rutgers and Pitt football accomplishments will evolve in the future.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I was referring to FSU
Regarding Rutgers, as I've said countless times on this board, the potential to become elite is limitless

From what I've heard...

1. ND
2. UNC
3. FSU

In order of preference for B1G
95 knows better than I, but his is what was told to me
That sounds reasonable to me. I think ND is still the Holy Grail. That may change one of these years, but not this year.

Bret McMurphy told Finebaum that he believes FSU and Clemson will be coming to the B10.

It appears that they will be the first 2 available... with State of NC creating many roadblocks and Miami sitting doing nothing... does the B10 just pick the best available to get in the region.

Last edited:
Bret McMurphy told Finebaum that he believes FSU and Clemson will be coming to the B10.

It appears that they will be the first 2 available... with State of NC creating many roadblocks and Miami sitting doing nothing... does the B10 just puck the best available to get in the region.
The ACC is going to be embarrassingly weak in football with those 2 gone. I'd have to think Oregon State and WSU would replace them but my God that's a weak football conference.

The ACC is going to be embarrassingly weak in football with those 2 gone. I'd have to think Oregon State and WSU would replace them but my God that's a weak football conference.

Might be me, but aside from the Big12 putting more butts in the stadium....... both look the same to me

Notre Dame

Utah.....................1. North Carolina
TCU......................2. Miami
Oklahoma St .....3. Louisville
West Virginia.....4. Virginia Tech
Arizona State.....5. NC State
BYU......................6. Virginia
Colorado.............7. Pittsburgh
Cincinnati...........8. Stanford
Arizona................9. Duke
Baylor..................10. California
Kansas.................11. Georgia Tech
Texas Tech..........12.SMU
UCF......................13. Syracuse
Kansas St...........14. Boston College
Iowa State..........15. Wake Forest
Houston............. 16. USF / Oregon St. / Wash St / San Diego St
..............................17. UConn / Tulane / Memphis

You have to wonder, much like us, how Nebraska kind of jumped us when we thought we were coming, if ND is going to see the writing on the wall and do that to FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA and demand Stanford comes with them or something

Reactions: bigmatt718
Well Clemson and FSU were able to get in front of the situation and sue (one of the main reasons in their litigation is that they are public institutions).

Miami is private so it seems they were planning on sitting back and being ready in case it blew up. Tag along with FSU maybe.

UNC - i believe this is what derailed everything and screwed Miami's thought process - North Carolina politicians getting involved. The state makes tons of money from holding ACC and other sports events in NC with their 4 schools - so NC schools leaving hurts that. They also don't want NC State left behind. This has shackled UNC, which means they are in a wait and see.

With only Clemson and FSU "being available", B10 might just say F-it.... Clemson/Miami same shit....

If Clemson and FSU pony up..... Miami, UNC and others are stuck. It also seems the VA schools and Pitt would prefer to be in a weaker 4th conference than joining the Big12.

So it is quite possible that.....
  • Clemson and FSU leave
  • ESPN renews the ACC contract or offers a new one at slightly lower payments
  • If Clemson and FSU go to the B10, Miami might be left behind forever. If and when ND decides it has to move, they might request Stanford or Miami. B10 might say STFU ND, you have no say on team 22.
  • If Clemson and FSU go to the SEC in spite of what McMurphy said, then Miami still has a chance at the B10
  • There is no other movement. Schools are probably stuck until early 2030s when the payouts become lower.
  • ACC might survive. I don't think ACC schools pay money just to go make 10-15M more in the Big12.

The above is best case scenario for Syracuse, BC, WF, Duke
Sucks to be UNC and Miami
Pitt, Louisville, Virginia Tech options were only Big12 or ACC.... but they get stuck taking care of Cuse, BC etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
Might be me, but aside from the Big12 putting more butts in the stadium....... both look the same to me

Notre Dame

Utah.....................1. North Carolina
TCU......................2. Miami
Oklahoma St .....3. Louisville
West Virginia.....4. Virginia Tech
Arizona State.....5. NC State
BYU......................6. Virginia
Colorado.............7. Pittsburgh
Cincinnati...........8. Stanford
Arizona................9. Duke
Baylor..................10. California
Kansas.................11. Georgia Tech
Texas Tech..........12.SMU
UCF......................13. Syracuse
Kansas St...........14. Boston College
Iowa State..........15. Wake Forest
Houston............. 16. USF / Oregon St. / Wash St / San Diego St
..............................17. UConn / Tulane / Memphis
Hope they add Oregon State and WSU...if not USF and Tulane because I enjoy seeing Connie fans cry about not being in a Power Conference despite having a dogshit football program.

You have to wonder, much like us, how Nebraska kind of jumped us when we thought we were coming, if ND is going to see the writing on the wall and do that to FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA and demand Stanford comes with them or something
ND would pull that type of move being the sneaky Catholic bastards that they are.

Well Clemson and FSU were able to get in front of the situation and sue (one of the main reasons in their litigation is that they are public institutions).

Miami is private so it seems they were planning on sitting back and being ready in case it blew up. Tag along with FSU maybe.

UNC - i believe this is what derailed everything and screwed Miami's thought process - North Carolina politicians getting involved. The state makes tons of money from holding ACC and other sports events in NC with their 4 schools - so NC schools leaving hurts that. They also don't want NC State left behind. This has shackled UNC, which means they are in a wait and see.

With only Clemson and FSU "being available", B10 might just say F-it.... Clemson/Miami same shit....

If Clemson and FSU pony up..... Miami, UNC and others are stuck. It also seems the VA schools and Pitt would prefer to be in a weaker 4th conference than joining the Big12.

So it is quite possible that.....
  • Clemson and FSU leave
  • ESPN renews the ACC contract or offers a new one at slightly lower payments
  • If Clemson and FSU go to the B10, Miami might be left behind forever. If and when ND decides it has to move, they might request Stanford or Miami. B10 might say STFU ND, you have no say on team 22.
  • If Clemson and FSU go to the SEC in spite of what McMurphy said, then Miami still has a chance at the B10
  • There is no other movement. Schools are probably stuck until early 2030s when the payouts become lower.
  • ACC might survive. I don't think ACC schools pay money just to go make 10-15M more in the Big12.

The above is best case scenario for Syracuse, BC, WF, Duke
Sucks to be UNC and Miami
Pitt, Louisville, Virginia Tech options were only Big12 or ACC.... but they get stuck taking care of Cuse, BC etc.
The more I think about it, the more I think ESPN to save their assets just "transfers" FSU and Clemson to the SEC, has Oregon State/WSU move up to the ACC, and we don't see any more movement until at least the 2030s.

The ACC will be a very good academic conference. The rest of it, not so much

Also an interesting tweet from Bud Elliott of the Nolecast, who's tight with his co-host Ingram Smith.

Ingram is the CEO of The Battles End, the main NIL collective for FSU:

Interesting timeline that I came across. Last year on June 1st, the AAU moved to add ND, Miami, USF, UC-Riverside, GWU, and ASU. Could June 1st be D-Day for an AAU invite for FSU and/or Clemson?

The more I think about it, the more I think ESPN to save their assets just "transfers" FSU and Clemson to the SEC, has Oregon State/WSU move up to the ACC, and we don't see any more movement until at least the 2030s.

It’s not up to ESPN. (I may be reading your post wrong). If FSU Leadership prefers the B1G, then ESPN can’t stop it.

They can't stop it outright but they CAN heavily influence it from a financial standpoint.
Some folks have alluded to it being against the law.

Shifting properties from one entity you own to another entity you own. FOX and/or Big10 could sue ESPN.
So while ESPN might suggest the SEC go for FSU and Clemson....... Making it easier for FSU to leave the ACC for the SEC upfront could have legal ramifications.

I think if FSU considers the B10 and SEC and decides on SEC..... that ESPN could do some TV stuff after the fact to make it less painful on both the ACC and FSU, but if it got out that ESPN offered greasing skids beforehand, it is Market Manipulation

I am definitely clueless, it is just what has been said when folks suggest that ESPN will steer FSU to the SEC........

RU wasn't on the table then. We were never getting in ahead of Nebraska it wasn't an option at the time.

stop listening to a lot of the clowns on this site from back that thought they knew. Alvarez wanted Nebraska and initiated the whole affair for the champ game pay out

Reactions: MADHAT1
and all that success means what? lol, NO ONE GIVES A FK ABOUT ON FIELD PERFORMANCE PAST 2YRS AGO IN THE PARADIGM. The only thing that matters is carriage rates and mkt penetration, eyeballs.

lol at Heisman and 2 Natty's, only looks good when it counts toward a conference commercial

I am glad most people don't share your view of past accomplishments.

I was recently watching a Baseball Game between the Pirates and the Toronto Blue Jays and both teams were wearing a #4 Patch on their Jerseys. They were praising the accomplishments of Lou Gehrig of the New York Yanks. and how great Lou was and Babe Ruth bated in the #3 position and Lou was #4. That happened 81 years ago and is still acknowledged. What a great tribute to the past that is still being recognized today.

I saw that the USS New jersey fired off its guns and will be a docked in Camden and will be a great reflection of past accomplishments that all people visiting the docs can appreciate.

I don't know if Rutgers will ever win a National Championship or have a Heisman Trophy Winner or have 10 players in the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame or 25 Players in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame or have more than 17 players selected in the NFL Draft (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years ( most recent accomplishments).

When Rutgers surpasses Pitt's past sports accomplishments then you are entitled to tell me how bad Pitt is.

Carriage rates and eyeballs aren't the only thing that brings money to a University.

Pitt brings in $1.16 Billion per year in Outside Research Grants (Pitt ranked #45 US News Global Research University Ranking 2024) and has a $5.5 Billion Endowment (Not Sports Related) but Money is Money.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yeah, that's pretty interesting and enlightening.

I actually thought schools DID have a veto; shows you what I know...
Supposedly, there was a gentleman‘s agreement with Florida and South Carolina and two other schools to block out FSU, Clemson , and some others

However, Florida allegedly sponsored FSU being admitted to the SEC in the 90s, where is before they had blocked them at least twice

Lots of rumors out there, hard to decipher the truth honestly

I am glad most people don't share your view of past accomplishments.

I was recently watching a Baseball Game between the Pirates and the Toronto Blue Jays and both teams were wearing a #4 Patch on their Jerseys. They were praising the accomplishments of Lou Gehrig of the New York Yanks. and how great Lou was and Babe Ruth bated in the #3 position and Lou was #4. That happened 81 years ago and is still acknowledged. What a great tribute to the past that is still being recognized today.

I saw that the USS New jersey fired off its guns and will be a docked in Camden and will be a great reflection of past accomplishments that all people visiting the docs can appreciate.

I don't know if Rutgers will ever win a National Championship or have a Heisman Trophy Winner or have 10 players in the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame or 25 Players in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame or have more than 17 players selected in the NFL Draft (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years ( most recent accomplishments).

When Rutgers surpasses Pitt's past sports accomplishments then you are entitled to tell me how bad Pitt is.

Carriage rates and eyeballs aren't the only thing that brings money to a University.

Pitt brings in $1.16 Billion per year in Outside Research Grants (Pitt ranked #45 US News Global Research University Ranking 2024) and has a $5.5 Billion Endowment (Not Sports Related) but Money is Money.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
most people don't share my view?

show me where Pitt is included in any expansion discussion?

thank you

most people don't share my view?

show me where Pitt is included in any expansion discussion?

thank you

You haven't been paying attention: the Mountain West and the American (AAC) are both hoping to snatch up Pitt when the ACC disintegrates.

• Haha
You haven't been paying attention: the Mountain West and the American (AAC) are both hoping to snatch up Pitt when the ACC disintegrates.
I do feel badly for Pitt as it's a great school, great tradition, great fans and they were great BE partners. I want them to go to the B12 to be honest. I want Pitt to do well

I like Pitt, West Virginia and Louisville... they belong together... but won't lose sleep if Pitt stays in a 3rd tier conference in a watered down ACC to help WF, Syracuse and BC

I also like pointing out the truth to delusional fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT