ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

I know, but ND will not leave until the ACC is destabilized.

FSU is first on the board... They need to be locked down.

I was ok with SEC taking UNC if the North Carolina Politicians forced the SEC to take NC State. Even thought N would be a new state, taking 2 schools does not cover their costs.

FSU & Miami > UNC and NC State.

I assume there is no Way the B10 takes both of them.

I have to find the link where I saw it posted
look, you are a smart guy and have to know that legal issues that would arise from this even if only partly true. that said, it's not true, nothing even close to it. FSU sees itself growing academically and nationally and football gives them that bridge. BIG already recruits in Fl and you can get the BTN down there but the rate differentials do matter and that is FSU bargaining chip. BIG just means more plus with additions, we'll get some form of a pod structure which makes FSU view of road to playoffs better (I don't think so as a season in the BIG is going shock FSU with how much depth plays a role).

am going to love my trips to Tallahassee :)

I know, but ND will not leave until the ACC is destabilized.

FSU is first on the board... They need to be locked down.

I was ok with SEC taking UNC if the North Carolina Politicians forced the SEC to take NC State. Even thought N would be a new state, taking 2 schools does not cover their costs.

FSU & Miami > UNC and NC State.

I assume there is no Way the B10 takes both of them.
no one is taking 2 from the same state unless 1 is big name and pays for itself.

NC State will be SEC with Clemson and Miami could go SEC in another round of expansion with VT

FSU and UNC want those research dollars too

look, you are a smart guy and have to know that legal issues that would arise from this even if only partly true. that said, it's not true, nothing even close to it. FSU sees itself growing academically and nationally and football gives them that bridge. BIG already recruits in Fl and you can get the BTN down there but the rate differentials do matter and that is FSU bargaining chip. BIG just means more plus with additions, we'll get some form of a pod structure which makes FSU view of road to playoffs better (I don't think so as a season in the BIG is going shock FSU with how much depth plays a role).

am going to love my trips to Tallahassee :)
You are correct, I misread the partnership as it's a joint advisory group, not related to expansion

Noles definitely prefer B1G, really hoping it comes to fruition

Re. trips to Tallahassee, it's an easy drive down 10 from NE Florida where you have a place
LMK if you need any recco's once there

From what I've heard...

1. ND
2. UNC
3. FSU

In order of preference for B1G
95 knows better than I, but his is what was told to me
agree

UNC is highly prized but don't think FSU isn't loved either lol

ND is a no brainer, always everyone's #1

blowing up the ACC works to our favor here and we'll see Stamford with them imho

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
You are correct, I misread the partnership as it's a joint advisory group, not related to expansion

Noles definitely prefer B1G, really hoping it comes to fruition

Re. trips to Tallahassee, it's an easy drive down 10 from NE Florida where you have a place
LMK if you need any recco's once there
we'll get together well before that I'm sure.

Pods are going to have to happen with 2 West Coast/East Coast trips per year

Didn’t the other thread say that the ACC will have two guaranteed spots in the playoff when it goes to 14 in 2026? That actually seems like an easier path to the playoffs than the three spots the SEC and Big Ten will have due to the weaker competition.

Didn’t the other thread say that the ACC will have two guaranteed spots in the playoff when it goes to 14 in 2026? That actually seems like an easier path to the playoffs than the three spots the SEC and Big Ten will have due to the weaker competition.
there is no way ACC keeps their playoff spot with big dogs leaving

they will be 'Big Easted'

They would, but it'll be a trickle-down situation w/the other sports

E.G. you get 45 mil/year, rivals get 90 mil year, you're spending 40 out of that 45 to stay afloat in football and all of the other sports would suffer

Plus it'll put a big burden on Boosters to make up difference, and won't be a boom to economy / ticket sales / boosters like being in the B1G or SEC would

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Any smoke to the rumors of Utah wanting to defect to the ACC away from the Big 12? They don't want to be alongside the Mormon Notre Dame but I'd feel as though Utah would only stay in the ACC as a holding spot for a B1G invite. Academically they're stronger than most Big 12 schools so they have a bit of an ego there as well (Utah is an AAU school). I could see it happening and then the Big 12 adds one of Oregon State/WSU to backfill it...hopefully Oregon State as they deserve to be a P4 school.

Last edited:
no one is taking 2 from the same state unless 1 is big name and pays for itself.

NC State will be SEC with Clemson and Miami could go SEC in another round of expansion with VT

FSU and UNC want those research dollars too
The SEC and big ten are under no obligation to save schools from a dying league
I can't see the SEC wanting NC state for example, and V tech also

Any smoke to the rumors of Utah wanting to defect to the ACC away from the Big 12? They don't want to be alongside the Mormon Notre Dame but I'd feel as though Utah would only stay in the ACC as a holding spot for a B1G invite. Academically they're stronger than most Big 12 schools so they have a bit of an ego there as well (Utah is an AAU school). I could see it happening and then the Big 12 adds one of Oregon State/WSU to backfill it...hopefully Oregon State as they deserve to be a P4 school.

I wouldn’t rely on Dick Hoops Weiss as a realignment source.

totally!!!!! I want to see sarah, connie and bc together in the AAC :):):):)

I feel for Pitt as they tried to salvage the BE and seemed to always do the right thing.
Pitt Did the wrong thing joining the big east back in 1981

It broke up efforts to form the eastern bb/FB league

You have to hand it to the big east, they were shrewd back then and acted quickly to save their conference

Reactions: RUTGERS95

Our Board also has this rumor posted.

Many moving parts.

Waiting for the ACC contract modifications "Look In" discussions to begin with ABC/ESPN starting in February 2025.

Stay tuned.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: mosito
Selfishly, B1G and SEC schools should want to limit further expansion to maintain a competitive advantage in recruiting vs all the other leagues based on the revenue sharing agreement.

Pitt Did the wrong thing joining the big east back in 1981

It broke up efforts to form the eastern bb/FB league

You have to hand it to the big east, they were shrewd back then and acted quickly to save their conference
Lol. The old Big East was lots of things. But shrewd was never one of them. Let's prioritize basketball over football. How did that work out? The most mismanaged conference of all time, although the Pac 10/12/2 gives them a run for their money.

Lol. The old Big East was lots of things. But shrewd was never one of them. Let's prioritize basketball over football. How did that work out? The most mismanaged conference of all time, although the Pac 10/12/2 gives them a run for their money.
Giving a bunch of small, basketball only Catholics the same level of membership as the football playing members was the ultimate undoing of the Big East.

it was shrewd from the non football point of view.
Kept the conference together and make sure basketball was still king.
From a football standpoint, dumb and dumber leadership, but the Providence gang
knew to have a strong basketball conference it must add a football side and keep that side the junior partner
So from that standpoint they achieved their goal and when the final doom arrived, basketball wound up with the Big East name and considered a major basketball conference

it was shrewd from the non football point of view.
Kept the conference together and made sure basketball was still king.
From a football standpoint, dumb and dumber leadership, but the Providence gang
knew to have a strong basketball conference it must add a football side and keep that side the junior partner
Wrong. The conference and it's 'leadership', - as incompetent and awful as it was - had an obligation to all of its members. Not just the basketball onlys who brought little to the table. To prioritize the weakest link at the expense of the whole made zero sense, then, now or ever. What part of that is confusing to you still after all these years of reality showing you how wrong you were/are?

At that time
At that time the big east was a powerful basketball conference and it made a shrewd move to protect itself

Was it a long term move of protection?
Did it anticipate the future move that football would be needed to hold everything together?
No it did not

Admitting Pitt bought the basketball conference 10 years

Should that conference anticipated the need for football back in 1981? Look ahead 10 years?
Maybe it should have

But what it did do was stop Syracuse and the other programs leaving with the immediate threat of the new conference

Our Board also has this rumor posted.

Many moving parts.

Waiting for the ACC contract modifications "Look In" discussions to begin with ABC/ESPN starting in February 2025.

Stay tuned.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Wow, FSU is gone no matter what unless you are doing unequal revenue sharing.

In other words instead of joining the Big12 and becoming stronger, Pitt, Louisville, and a couple of others stay in the ACC with South Florida instead.

So the old Big East buddies hooking each other up. Syracuse and BC getting saved and the expense if Pitt, Vtech and Louisville.

I doubt this happens but I don't want a stronger Big12, so this works... the P5 leftovers in the ACC.

Poor UNC likely staying stuck in this scenario

In other words instead of joining the Big12 and becoming stronger, Pitt, Louisville, and a couple of others stay in the ACC with South Florida instead.

So the old Big East buddies hooking each other up. Syracuse and BC getting saved and the expense if Pitt, Vtech and Louisville.

I doubt this happens but I don't want a stronger Big12, so this works... the P5 leftovers in the ACC.

Noles out
Heels out
Tillman out
Canes TBD

Actually, I don't care if FSU leaves as long as they pay (GOR settlement) the ACC Conference.

I actually hope FSU goes to the B1G because their days of football dominance is over and they be relegated to just another team in the B1G aka new Nebraska ( FSU alums may not like their new reality).

With 2 ACC members qualifying for the CFP the void at the top will be filled by others.

What is surprising to me is that in the new era of NIL funding other schools with large donor alums can tip the traditional balance of Conference Payout.

What really surprised me was SMU with little/no Conference payout is currently able to get 5 Rival 4-Star recruits at this early junction.

Contract "Look in Modifications" starting February 2025.

Many moving part.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Actually, I don't care if FSU leaves as long as they pay (GOR settlement) the ACC Conference.

I actually hope FSU goes to the B1G because their days of football dominance is over and they be relegated to just another team in the B1G aka new Nebraska ( FSU alums may not like their new reality).

With 2 ACC members qualifying for the CFP the void at the top will be filled by others.

What is surprising to me is that in the new era of NIL funding other schools with large donor alums can tip the traditional balance of Conference Payout.

What really surprised me was SMU with little/no Conference payout is currently able to get 5 Rival 4-Star recruits at this early junction.

Many moving part.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Over based on what?

Last years dominating performance?
Top 5 recruiting & NIL ?
Locking Norvell up for the next decade?

The only thing over is Pitt ever sniffing another natty in any of our lifetimes

Even at 400M per team, only 2 have the money to pay.

At 200M per team at least 4 have.

Let's be generous and call it 800Million in payouts over 14+ teams ...

Not even 6M per year and still likely making less money than the Big12.

I am sure Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest will thank Pitt for taking one for the team.

Contract "Look in Modifications" starting February 2025.

Many moving part.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

You went from laughing at the idea of any ACC team leaving the conference before 2036 to now hoping your most valuable football brand leaves.

Quite a turnaround.

Over based on what?

Last years dominating performance?
Top 5 recruiting & NIL ?
Locking Norvell up for the next decade?

The only thing over is Pitt ever sniffing another natty in any of our lifetimes

I have nothing against Rutgers and actually enjoying watching Rutgers football games.

However:

Pitt has won 2 National Championships, Heisman Trophy winner, put 25 players in the NCAA College Football Hall of Fame and have 10 players in the NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame with D Revis admitted in 2023 and more to come. Additionally, Pitt has had 17 player taken in the NFL Draft (7 Rounds) in the last 4 years.

It remains to be seen how Rutgers and Pitt football accomplishments will evolve in the future.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Giving a bunch of small, basketball only Catholics the same level of membership as the football playing members was the ultimate undoing of the Big East.
When it was formed in 1979 the majority of it's members were more basketball oriented than they leaned towards football .
Seton Hall ( came in because Rutgers turned membership offer down) Georgetown , St.John's , Providence and Connecticut (D-1AA football) were basketball only or first schools.Syracuse was big in football , but was a basketball power more than a football one since 1967
Boston College was the 7th original member and like Syracuse , thir football program played as an independent
Villanova joined in 1980 then in 1982 Pitt joined the fold.
So until the football side was added only 3 BE Schools had D-1A football programs and
the basketball only programs ran the conference and made sure keeping their basketball programs strong came first , even after the football side was created.
Short sighted where football is concerned, yes it was, but the BE was started for basketball and the leadership made sure it remained a basketball first conference.
When the Big East went kaput, the BE leadership made sure basketball was saved and the football playing schools would have to find another life-raft.
So from the basketball only point of view, BE leadership did what it had to do to keep the Big East a respected basketball conference.
I feel if football was better served, the Big East might be still a top football and basketball conference ,but the BE's leadership didn't care to try and just protected how the basketball teams were thought of

You went from laughing at the idea of any ACC team leaving the conference before 2036 to now hoping your most valuable football brand leaves.

Quite a turnaround.

I said that because of the loss of income based on the GOR. However, If FSU wants to leave and pay maybe $500 million (GOR terms) then they can go. FSU wants to go but not pay so they are in court.

Any ACC team is free to leave provided they pay the terms of the GOR agreement. Not too many teams can afford to leave under that onerous financial obligation.

Additionally, I look at it as a positive for the "Look In Contract Modifications" between the ACC and ABC/ESPN.

The law suits will all be considered as part of the discussions with ABC/ESPN.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
FSU never wanted to leave the conference
If they did, they would have made noise long before it all started up

Unfortunately, the ACC didn't keep up their end of the bargain
So FSU, Clemson and any other school that has championship aspirations are left with no choice except to leave

Clemson and FSU both won National Championships in the ACC in the last 10 years. Actually, more than B1G teams.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT