ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The official ACC all things thread

They’re looking to void the contact bc the ACC didn’t live up to their end of the bargain, along with many other things they pulled

We’ve been in the league 30+ years, carrying it for a large portion of that time, and didn’t start making noise until recently

Frankly, we should have made noise long before we did as the league has been dropping the ball (and doing shady things) for awhile now
It answers the last sentence of your post

Just out of curiosity, what "shady things" has my previous fanhood home, the ACC, been doing?
Nepotism TV deals, green lighting things without actual member votes and not informing member schools of ESPN’s ability to void the tv contract after 2027 just the name a few

Last edited:
No it doesn't. It actually verifies my post. If you can claim restraint of trade because you change your mind after so many years, why would anyone sign an agreement with you?
If I actually have to explain to you why FSU is trying to, and eventually will shortly, get out of the ACC contract, you either don’t follow a college football or you have absolutely no idea what’s going on

There are many things including apparently the ACC Grant of Rights contract did not dot any Eyes or cross the Tees.....

There is a chance that the GOR is tied to the ESPN deal and not an independent document. If so the 2025 ESPN look in clause to renew in 2027 could result in one of two things
  • Only 3 or years of GOR payments + exit fee as of the ruling.
  • All signs pointing to ESPN not renewing the ACC deal. Since FSU and Clemson are leaving anyway. If so GOR will be null in 3 years of January 2025.

Meanwhile if you want a good laugh, this article has BC as a possible B1G target if they attain AAU status. Even if they do, they have zero chance of B1G entry outside of being in for ice hockey only. UConn has a better chance of getting into the B1G and UConn's chances of B1G entry are zero point zero as Dean Wormer would say in Animal House.

Meanwhile if you want a good laugh, this article has BC as a possible B1G target if they attain AAU status. Even if they do, they have zero chance of B1G entry outside of being in for ice hockey only. UConn has a better chance of getting into the B1G and UConn's chances of B1G entry are zero point zero as Dean Wormer would say in Animal House.

If Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, UConn, etc. are left in the ACC, that really becomes a private school tweener conference. They are worth more than G conferences, along with Wake, Miami and NC State. It's almost like a private/land grant mix with UConn being the only flagship. If they convince Notre Dame to stay....

Syracuse
Pitt
Va Tech
UConn
BC
Miami
Wake Forest
Ga Tech
NC State
USF

maybe UVA if they don't go to the Big 10. It's not bad, it's just not in the same stratosphere as the Big 10 or SEC, and better than the initial configuration of the AAC.

A lot of Good teams that can't complete for the NC except for the breakout years. But all/mostly like minded.

I can't see Syracuse or Pitt going to the Big 12 -- or even the B12 expanding any more. Cal and Stanford don't fit in, SMU to the Big 12 if they want to take them, same for Louisville rejoining their old rival Cincinnati. Hard to tell exactly what will happen here. But that conference isn't bad at all, just not state flagships like the SEC and B10 have.

If Syracuse, Pitt, Va Tech, UConn, etc. are left in the ACC, that really becomes a private school tweener conference. They are worth more than G conferences, along with Wake, Miami and NC State. It's almost like a private/land grant mix with UConn being the only flagship. If they convince Notre Dame to stay....

Syracuse
Pitt
Va Tech
UConn
BC
Miami
Wake Forest
Ga Tech
NC State
USF

maybe UVA if they don't go to the Big 10. It's not bad, it's just not in the same stratosphere as the Big 10 or SEC, and better than the initial configuration of the AAC.

A lot of Good teams that can't complete for the NC except for the breakout years. But all/mostly like minded.

I can't see Syracuse or Pitt going to the Big 12 -- or even the B12 expanding any more. Cal and Stanford don't fit in, SMU to the Big 12 if they want to take them, same for Louisville rejoining their old rival Cincinnati. Hard to tell exactly what will happen here. But that conference isn't bad at all, just not state flagships like the SEC and B10 have.
On paper that looks like a slightly better version of the Big East in the early to mid 2000s. I think Duke would be in that conference as well and I can see Tulane being invited alongside USF and UConn as Tulane has solid football, good academics, and has a good media market in NOLA, not to mention Tulane has a strong Northeast presence with the majority of their student body/alumni base coming from NJ/Long Island/NYC/Philly.

Last edited:
Reactions: megadrone

Syracuse
Pitt
Va Tech
UConn
BC
Miami
Wake Forest
Ga Tech
NC State
USF

The Big12 is ready to expand and will pick up whatever the B10 and SEC does not pick up. They were wanting to add UConn and Gonzaga, but the Big12 Presidents didn't want to. Brett Yormark wanted UConn. I think they are in a wait and see with the ACC.
If the B10 and SEC pick up 4-6 schools

If 6 teams get taken by the Power 2, they will include at a minimum... Miami, Clemson, FSU, North Carolina

I 100% think they go for at least 2 with Pitt, Louisville, NC State Other Options (Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Duke, Virginia) - 1-2 of these might go to the Power 2

They would add the Backyard Brawl plus local rivalries with Cincy and West Virginia.

I agree those left in the ACC will try and keep Pitt and others from considering the Big12.... try to add WSU and OSU..........maybe UConn, or others from the AAC/MW. but the new ACC will be behind the Big12.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Ummmmmm..................

"While Boston College isn’t an AAU member and isn’t a juggernaut in football or men’s basketball, it does have a great location," Dyer prefaced before saying, "Boston is a top-10 media market and the Golden Eagles are the only Power Five team in New England. That’s a lot of potential eyeballs for the Big Ten Network.

College football is even less of a draw up there than it is here in NJ.

Ummmmmm........and Kristian, they're not the "Golden Eagles".

One other thing: their stadium is a dump.

Reactions: bigmatt718

lol, I read that and thought to myself, 'my God there is nowhere where journalism is doing well' hahahahaha

It's been a while, but I remember their stadium being fine. Nicer than most of the old, oversized monstrosities still in place.

Last edited:
If I actually have to explain to you why FSU is trying to, and eventually will shortly, get out of the ACC contract, you either don’t follow a college football or you have absolutely no idea what’s going on
I fully understand the FSU point of view, my comments are about the other party.

If you understand FSU's point of view, then you should understand why the B1G and SEC would have no issues taking them, regardless of the lawsuit
Not sure about that. Too much baggage and uncertainty, and the last thing the two big conferences want is to be sued by the ACC as well

Not sure about that. Too much baggage and uncertainty, and the last thing the two big conferences want is to be sued by the ACC as well
There's no baggage

We were ideal conference partners for 30 years, and carried the league for a large portion of that time, making the ACC a lot of money and bringing prestige and respectability to a basketball centric conference

The ACC had an obligation to hold up their end of the bargain and failed miserably, while doing a lot of shady things in the process

What's actually alarming is that it took so long for us to get our head out of our ass and start making noise about what was going on

Any respectable school who has championship aspirations would have done the exact same thing, and it's a shame it took the powers that be in Tallahassee that long to act

Some would say we were trying to be good partners, and not rattle the boat, and from everything I've heard, I think there's a lot of validity in that

But there comes a point in time that you have to look out for number one and see that things aren't working; fortunately, Alford saw that, as well as the projected payout discrepancies and finally decided to act

I think FSU’s point of view is “I’m handsome, good looking and available” and the BIG/SEC’s POV maybe “That’s nice but you’re not our type.”

GO RU
Fortunately, the B1G and SEC don't see it that way, as they realize bringing in a top 10 brand who matches their conference ideals and would generate a lot of money trumps that line of thinking

Florida : New Market plus Recruiting Grounds. B10 is definitely eyeing Florida for sure. If we were back in 2020, i guess i would believe that the B10 wouldn't want FSU. Now we know better.

Only ND, TX, T-A&M trump B10 in their top 5 IMO. I believe UNC is 5th on their list. Just so happens that UNC is 1st on SEC list. I guess SEC has ND as 1, but that would never happen.

lol BIG will jump at FSU

top brand
better academics than both Oregon and Nebraska
major draw for TV eyeballs on national scale
new mkt for BIG

I mean there is just so much to like from the BIGs perspective

UNC checks all boxes except eyeballs but they have a mkt for BTN immediate penetration

Florida : New Market plus Recruiting Grounds. B10 is definitely eyeing Florida for sure. If we were back in 2020, i guess i would believe that the B10 wouldn't want FSU. Now we know better.

Only ND, TX, T-A&M trump B10 in their top 5 IMO. I believe UNC is 5th on their list. Just so happens that UNC is 1st on SEC list. I guess SEC has ND as 1, but that would never happen.
ND is obviously the big fish
Supposedly with Texas, the hangup was the Longhorn Network

A & M you'd have to believe wants out of the SEC w/Bevo in there
And UNC according to 95 is also very high on the radar

ND is obviously the big fish
Supposedly with Texas, the hangup was the Longhorn Network

A & M you'd have to believe wants out of the SEC w/Bevo in there
And UNC according to 95 is also very high on the radar
UNC need to figure out their backyard but both the P2 will jump at them. Boosters look to be pushing harder now

FSU did not make it into the AAU in its latest expansion round. ND, Miami, USF, ASU, UC Riverside, and GW all did. The B1G has no need to admit a non-AAU member when much more prestigious institutions like UNC and UVa may well become available. Both have outstanding well-rounded athletic programs. Not every new member of the B1G needs to be a football powerhouse.

FOX/B1G passed on Stanford. You don’t get a better sports (less football) and academic combo than Stanford and it’s not even remotely close.

Football is driving the bus.

Fortunately, the B1G and SEC don't see it that way, as they realize bringing in a top 10 brand who matches their conference ideals and would generate a lot of money trumps that line of thinking
FSU is definitely desirable but the problems are SEC already owns FL, AL, LA, and MS states while BIG wants a foothold in FL but Miami is more desirable to them in my opinion. If it makes financial sense for the BIG, I think they would not hesitate to bring in FSU with Miami as well as UNC and VA.

Just all my opinion.

GO RU

FOX/B1G passed on Stanford. You don’t get a better sports (less football) and academic combo than Stanford and it’s not even remotely close.

Football is driving the bus.
respectfully, his post is full on re^arded so ignore it. Relative awareness is lost on many many people

Reactions: mosito
FSU is definitely desirable but the problems are SEC already owns FL, AL, LA, and MS states while BIG wants a foothold in FL but Miami is more desirable to them in my opinion. If it makes financial sense for the BIG, I think they would not hesitate to bring in FSU with Miami as well as UNC and VA.

Just all my opinion.

GO RU
I've been told by two very prominent people that they cannot see anyway the SEC allows the B1G to come in and grab FSU

Maybe it's geography bias as they live in the south surrounded by SEC schools, but they were adamant that they cannot see it happening

Just all my opinion.

GO RU
Hard to see taking small, private, non-NC contending Miami when the Big 10 passed on Stanford. FSU gives the inroads to Florida, and check the academic and football boxes that's important to the Big 10 now.

FSU and hold that last spot until Notre Dame or UNC figures out what it wants to do. Who knows how much network money there is to expand beyond 2 more schools TBH.

I don’t know why the ACC can’t get West Virginia, Cinncinnatti and Central Florida back if they lose schools. It’s just a better fit.

If you’re not making BIG and SEC money why pay for all the xtra travel.

With those schools they seem like comparable with the Big 12.

As for who goes where for BIG/SEC?
Seems like the two conferences are making a drug deal to figure it out.

I've been told by two very prominent people that they cannot see anyway the SEC allows the B1G to come in and grab FSU

Maybe it's geography bias as they live in the south surrounded by SEC schools, but they were adamant that they cannot see it happening
That might be the case, but SEC can't play defense and offence against the BIG.

They would have to take FSU, Miami, UNC + UVA and hope B10 doesn't go for Clemson. Additionally 3 Florida schools are dilutive to them. The B10 without any FL schools would benefit more with just one FL school.

At best the SEC takes FSU, but not Miami. The B10 getting into FL with Miami is not the end of the world.

I agree from a common sense perspective, SEC does not allow the B10 into their territory. But when you look at numbers, the SEC going to 20 only makes more money OR not as dilutive if they hit new markets. A 2nd school in SC and/or 2nd/3rd school in FL does not make financial sense. In a way its like the B10 taking Pittsburgh just so the SEC doesn't. You let them take Pitt 100% every day.

Even if not ideal, the B10 can even go with Georgia Tech and Miami. Which a some of the folks here seem to already want.

How bad does the B10 want into the South East?
Is the SEC willing to Add TX, OK, FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC in a span of 3 years. Where are the losses coming from? Can't see SEC presidents wanting so many blue bloods. UF can barely get a winning season as it is.

I think the SEC does what is best for their bottom line. Place defense, by playing offence and taking UNC. Not care about FSU/Clem/Miami and only take 1 or 2 of them and not all 3.

Also, the more the SEC takes, the more likely that a B10 move results in ND coming to the B10. ND + one of Miami/GT/Kansas/Utah/AZ even NCSt-Clemson-UVA-VT

B10 coming out of this in a better position than the SEC no matter what they do. If SEC plays complete prevent and take 4-6 schools....... Hello ND.... if they do what is best for the SEC and take 2 schools...... Hello FSU and/or Miami.

A win for the SEC is not allowing the B10 to take UNC/FSU/Miami/ND

Last edited:
I don’t know why the ACC can’t get West Virginia, Cincinnati and Central Florida back if they lose schools. It’s just a better fit.

If you’re not making BIG and SEC money why pay for all the xtra travel.

With those schools they seem like comparable with the Big 12.

As for who goes where for BIG/SEC?
Seems like the two conferences are making a drug deal to figure it out.
Big12 schools would likely make 50% more. No way the ACC can poach them.

ACC would probably backfill with WashSU, OregSU, SanDiegoS, UConn, Tulane, USF, EastCarolina

Big12 schools would likely make 50% more. No way the ACC can poach them.

ACC would probably backfill with WashSU, OregSU, SanDiegoS, UConn, Tulane, USF, EastCarolina
What makes the Big12 more marketable than the ACC. Especially with ND still playing at ACC stadiums and arenas

Don’t know if your prominent people are as connected and informed as national college football writers Pat Forde, Ross Dellenger and Dan Wentzel but they clearly state in their recent podcast that outside of ND, UNC is at the top of the most desirable list which can’t be said for Clemson and FSU.

For their sake, hopefully FSU and Clemson aren’t doing all the blocking for UNC to run up through the hole.

GO RU

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don’t know if your prominent people are as connected and informed as national college football writers Pat Forde, Ross Dellenger and Dan Wentzel but they clearly state in their recent podcast that outside of ND, UNC is at the top of the most desirable list which can’t be said for Clemson and FSU.

For their sake, hopefully FSU and Clemson aren’t doing all the blocking for UNC to run up through the hole.

GO RU
ND & UNC are both very desirable

NC’s situation may have gotten more complicated watcher recent ruling of keeping them and NCS attached at the hip

From everything I’ve heard, the timeline of FSU leaving the ACC in one to two years remains intact

Reactions: mosito
ND & UNC are both very desirable

NC’s situation may have gotten more complicated watcher recent ruling of keeping them and NCS attached at the hip

From everything I’ve heard, the timeline of FSU leaving the ACC in one to two years remains intact
If that’s the timeline for FSU leaving when do you think notice will be given to ACC? This summer?

Will be interesting to see how things unfold.

GO RU

all, the BIG already recruits in the South/Fl and BTN is on the networks there so this view that the SEC can't let BIG into Fl is poppycock. The SEC wants to be the premier REGIONAL league in the country so will expand with that outward view. Be mindful, SEC expansion is dependent upon ESPN rights and ESPN cannot afford to match the BIG and support the ACC with today's dollars.

-FSU does not want SEC, doesn't mean they don't go there but it's not their 1st choice
-More UNC boosters are seeing BIG as the way to go, admin and some state officials (remember the alumni and students wanted ACC for MD too so the recent polls in NC mean little)
-BIG will absolutely jump to get FSU, UNC as I said last year and NC State will go to a power conference
-UNC can't stay in a rebranded ACC that makes far less without FSU and Clemson

ND has more insiders seeing the writing on the wall but they won't join until they are cut out of the CFP. expanding the CFP as big as they did was stupid imho. BIG and SEC should be crowding ND and ESPN out

in the future, can't they make it a requirement that you have to be a full member of a league to qualify for the CFP? Wouldn't that checkmate ND?
I don’t think anyone is looking to “checkmate” Notre Dame.
Why would any other remaining conference make ND join a conference? It would ultimately be the BIG.
They will ultimately join the BIG, they need to do it when they are ready.
My ND friends are telling me 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT