ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open 2018. Who you got?

Tiger with a double. Should've taken his medicine instead of trying a flop shot over a bunker. Now behind a shot.

I guess the big question is whether someone will do what Spieth did last year getting hot at the end (5 under for the last 5 holes at Carnoustie is pretty unrealistic, but if someone shoots 2 under for the last 5 that could do it).

Tiger and Molinari, playing together, and are the only 2 players who are bogey-free in their rounds. Before the round Johnny Miller mused that if Tiger could just beat Molinari today, he might win.

Well, Tiger is currently losing this match-up. Needs to drain some birdies in the next couple of holes. Now 2 back. Do-able, as seen by Rory with his eagle.

Tiger is such a headcase
He isn't a headcase. He is too aggressive. Both bad shots were due to thinking you were back to the old Tiger. If you hit it into the rough. Take your medicine, avoid a big number and move on to the next hole.

Tiger is such a headcase
He isn't a headcase. He is too aggressive. Both bad shots were due to thinking you were back to the old Tiger. If you hit it into the rough. Take your medicine, avoid a big number and move on to the next hole.

Disagree. His reaction after every bad shot is why I believe he’s a headcase. He can’t relax and is now melting down.

Disagree. His reaction after every bad shot is why I believe he’s a headcase. He can’t relax and is now melting down.
His reaction is the result of taking a big gamble and not getting away with it. Now he has no choice but to be aggressive on every shot because of back to back bad choices. Today isnt a day to play aggressive. This course will win everytime. Even at the top of his game no one is getting that chip shot close. Not even Phil.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Justin Rose!! About to birdie 18 again to get to -6. Has anyone ever won a major after making the cut on the number? He might.

And Tiger rams in a birdie putt from 15 feet to get to -5. Strap in folks.

His reaction is the result of taking a big gamble and not getting away with it. Now he has no choice but to be aggressive on every shot because of back to back bad choices. Today isnt a day to play aggressive. This course will win everytime. Even at the top of his game no one is getting that chip shot close. Not even Phil.

True, but what is probably really chapping Tiger is that he played very conservative iron tee shots on those two holes he was 3 over on and still found the rough on each. That had to be really frustrating for him. Nice recovery with a birdie on 14. 2 back of Molinari now, who might be tough to catch with no bogeys in quite a long time.

It’s the same reaction every time he hits a bad shot.. for decades.
He goes nuts. That’s a headcase to me.

Big birdie there for him. I bet he’ll go on a roll again..

Is Speith a headcase too? Koepka? If that is your definition of a headcase than 80% of golfers are including myself. Nothing angers a golfer more than doing something stupid.

Is Speith a headcase too? Koepka? If that is your definition of a headcase than 80% of golfers are including myself. Nothing angers a golfer more than doing something stupid.

I’ve never seen speith or koepka act as tiger does when he hits a bad shot.

You dont watch much golf than. Koepka's temper is lengendary. Brings back memories of Tommy Bolt. Speith is worse than Tiger. He moans about shots that end up on the green. He is too much a perfectionist.

Reactions: RutHut
You dont watch much golf than. Koepka's temper is lengendary. Brings back memories of Tommy Bolt. Speith is worse than Tiger. He moans about shots that end up on the green. He is too much a perfectionist.

If true, then I’d say Koepka is a head case. Again, from what I’ve seen it’s nothing compared to Tiger. And moaning is one thing. Again, I said it’s the way he acts. Throwing clubs and tantrums. Never seen Jordan do this, but if true sure I’d say yes he’s a headcase too.

And if you google Tiger Woods headcase there’s so many articles backing up a my claim.

So whether you agree or disagree I don’t think I’m crazy with this view.

If true, then I’d say Koepka is a head case. Again, from what I’ve seen it’s nothing compared to Tiger. And moaning is one thing. Again, I said it’s the way he acts. Throwing clubs and tantrums. Never seen Jordan do this, but if true sure I’d say yes he’s a headcase too.

And if you google Tiger Woods headcase there’s so many articles backing up a my claim.

I don't agree with your definition and nobody is "throwing" clubs. Hard toss towards the bag and they all do it. You just don't see a guy when he is playing bad. As TV focuses on the leaders. Except for Tiger who's every single shot is aired followed by a close up of his reaction. You think Tiger is different. He isn't. You just see all the bad of his and none of the bad of most others. Golf and tempers have been like peanut butter and jelly forever.

Reactions: ClassOf02
Molinari with an amazing, bogey-free round with all the pressure of the last round of the Open. In the clubhouse at -8 and I'll be surprised if anyone catches him - only Schauffele who's 1 back with 2 to play has a real shot. Tiger just couldn't quite do enough to win, but still played great. Finishing in the top 5-6 or so is still pretty damn good for a guy we weren't sure we'd ever see compete or even play again.

I don't agree with your definition and nobody is "throwing" clubs. Hard toss towards the bag and they all do it. You just don't see a guy when he is playing bad. As TV focuses on the leaders. Except for Tiger who's every single shot is aired followed by a close up of his reaction. You think Tiger is different. He isn't. You just see all the bad of his and none of the bad of most others. Golf and tempers have been like peanut butter and jelly forever.

That’s fair. Although NBC was just talking about his “yell” on 18 and how being paired with Tiger you have to deal with his emotions.

Again, just think he’s overly emotional which effects his play. And to me that’s a headcase.

Reactions: WhiteBus
That’s fair. Although NBC was just talking about his “yell” on 18 and how being paired with Tiger you have to deal with his emotions.

Again, just think he’s overly emotional which effects his play. And to me that’s a headcase.
Players have a much harder time dealing with his large galleries when playing with him. Especially when he holes in and they still have a putt to make. The mad scramble to the next hole begins.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Great day of golf. Always thought that Molinari had the stuff to win but it was always something that kept him back but having a great year this year. 3rd win and no a guy to be condidered a top tier player.
Also the other big winner was Carnoustie and the R&A. The course showed its Carnasty namesake today and a great setup by the R&A. Tough but fair. I wish the USGA would learn a few things from them.

Reactions: Abro1975
Speith is a different type of head case. He’s more of a whiner and mopper.

Great story on Pepperell. I’m sure we all played the game hungover before. I never played better because of it. I need to get some KT tape for my next round.

Molinari had no issues apparently.

Francisco Molinari looked strong at the John Deere last week. But it’s hard to say who will play well at Carnoustie this week. So many top players there who could have a good week.

I’m going to say I liked Molinari to win the Open this week. Think he was about 40-1 to win Thursday morning. Should have dropped a c note on it. But didn’t do it.

Definitely surprised his odds were that low based on how well he played the previous week. No bogeys on that course is incredible.

Speith is a different type of head case. He’s more of a whiner and mopper.
He needs to step up his complaining or give it up all together. He sounds more like a spoiled teenager.
Myself I yell loud every now and than. It usually starts with " FORE LEFT !!" followed by "Damnit Paul". :mad:
You have to let it go ASAP, especially before you are ready to hit your next shot otherwise you will be cursing yourself all the way to the 19th hole.

You guys are too hard on these guys, including Tiger. They didn’t get this far being unable to control emotions. Personally, golf is too staid as it is. I dont mind seeing guys get frustrated or seeing enjoyment. That’s golf. That’s sport.

You guys are too hard on these guys, including Tiger. They didn’t get this far being unable to control emotions. Personally, golf is too staid as it is. I dont mind seeing guys get frustrated or seeing enjoyment. That’s golf. That’s sport.
How am I being hard on these guys? Said that most do it. It's part of the game and Speith needs to step it up. Never had a issue with any of them.
Tommy Bolt wasn't the greatest golfer but he sure was a much watch!

Last edited:
How am I being hard on these guys? Said that most do it. It's part of the game and Speith needs to step it up. Never had a issue with any of them.
Tommy Bolt wasn't the greatest golfer but he sure was a much watch!
Craig Stadler always looked like he was about to blow his lid. Never smiled on the course.

Reactions: WhiteBus
He needs to step up his complaining or give it up all together. He sounds more like a spoiled teenager.
Myself I yell loud every now and than. It usually starts with " FORE LEFT !!" followed by "Damnit Paul". :mad:
You have to let it go ASAP, especially before you are ready to hit your next shot otherwise you will be cursing yourself all the way to the 19th hole.
I just order another transfusion (aka swing lube). I usually golf for “work”. Hard to get upset even when I’m playing poorly.

I just order another transfusion (aka swing lube). I usually golf for “work”. Hard to get upset even when I’m playing poorly.
I worked at Spring Meadow GC through HS and Rutgers. 2 retired guys worked as starters. Ed and George. Great men with great life lessons. Tought me not to throw clubs as you could break them and I had no money to replace them. And practice rounds are practice. No need going crazy over a round that means nothing. Play extra balls from difficult spots and have fun. They both lived into their mid 90s both played in their 90s. Ed broke 80, with me in his 4 some on his 80th birthday. 77 at Spring Meadow. Lesson is enjoy life, you will live longer.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Speith and Xander were on the clock after 10?? Did they say that on TV?? I was working so I might have missed that. Speith was talking about that in his presser.

Speith and Xander were on the clock after 10?? Did they say that on TV?? I was working so I might have missed that. Speith was talking about that in his presser.

I watched every shot from 10:30 am on and never heard the announcers say that. Maybe I wasn't paying attention every second, but when they put groups on the clock, the TV guys usually talk about it several times, speculating what impact it might have.

I watched every shot from 10:30 am on and never heard the announcers say that. Maybe I wasn't paying attention every second, but when they put groups on the clock, the TV guys usually talk about it several times, speculating what impact it might have.
Spieth said he rushed his tee shot after and he was never in contention after

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT