ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Open. Historic venue. Back in Ireland.

WhiteBus

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2011
First off. Who you got?
Second take in time to read, watch why this is a huge deal. Last time was 1951. Plenty of TV coverage so I don't want to see that complaint.
Ball striker setup but with all Opens weather will be king. Excited for this event more than most years. Enjoy.

Since the tourney is on Thursday, I'll have to celebrate my birthday by watching it with a cigar and a pour of Redbreast 12 or Green Spot Irish Whiskey.
Getting up at 1:30am to start a long birthday?? [laughing]
Hope it's a good one.

First off. Who you got?
Second take in time to read, watch why this is a huge deal. Last time was 1951. Plenty of TV coverage so I don't want to see that complaint.
Ball striker setup but with all Opens weather will be king. Excited for this event more than most years. Enjoy.
You mean the British Open?

Why does Kapler remind me of the MLB version of Ash? At this point it's when is Kapler getting fired, not if. The team literally has quit.

I don't know but you can't fire the team so he's in the hot seat. IMHO so should Klentak and the Pres. The team looks terrible the minors don't generate good players at a big enough rate. And misunderstanding the pitching talent is borderline criminal. They could have had Hamels back last year for a bucket of balls - just for one example.

The whole front office is to blame. From pitching and hitting coaches to McFail.

Tough to watch.

Reactions: bigmatt718
You mean the British Open?
No I mean The Open, short for The Open Championship. Oldest of the 4 majors. Only major played outside the U.S.
The media has sometimes added the word British to it. No need to. Smart people completely understand what The Open is.

Last edited:
Sort of come around on Koepka. But man, if your commissioner, this is just not what you want the franchise to be saying publicly. But its his life and am sure there are plenty of other things to be doing when you have his money and fame.

Sort of come around on Koepka. But man, if your commissioner, this is just not what you want the franchise to be saying publicly. But its his life and am sure there are plenty of other things to be doing when you have his money and fame.

He's got other things he's ummm... working on.
GettyImages-1161116980.jpg

Koepka is unusual in that he’s most effective in majors, as opposed to regular tour events.

Royal Portrush is an unspoiled, classic Irish links course.

Key factor is wind. If no wind they will crush it for -12 or more imo. Rain is expected but without wind it may be a birdie fest.

I played the courses in SW Ireland last Fall and love Irish golf. Well worth it as an entry on the bucket list imo.

OK Mr. Fancy Pants. Some of our friends aren't Golf lifers. LOL
Sorry for them... No??
No hole in 1 today. You're still the big story of 2019. 14 under today. Nephew had long drive and brought a ringer.

Lots of talk about Cantly.

Thru a confluence of events I have actually become fairly friendly with Patrick. Knew his caddie, Chris, really well. Tragic and sad story. We used to sit around while Patrick was recovering from his back issues and Spieth was winning Majors and Patrick used to seethe under his breath "I owned that guy". And if you look at Cantlay's record against Spieth when they were in college he wasn't bending the story one bit.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Thru a confluence of events I have actually become fairly friendly with Patrick. Knew his caddie, Chris, really well. Tragic and sad story. We used to sit around while Patrick was recovering from his back issues and Spieth was winning Majors and Patrick used to seethe under his breath "I owned that guy". And if you look at Cantlay's record against Spieth when they were in college he wasn't bending the story one bit.

Cool.

Awesome. It's nice to get into an inside circle of great athletes. Back when I played competitively I met many who became long time stars. Don't know any in golf anymore but very well hooked up in the thoroughbred industry these days. Mostly I keep my mouth shut and just listen like a fly on the wall. Great to be part of them all.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Wait, what? You were 14 under today?
Birdie 3 of the 4 par 3s at Foresgate which is incredible as they are all monsters. Nephew drove the green on the 4th. Caught the hill on the left and ran up on the green but no eagle.
Team event

Last edited:
Birdie 3 of the 4 par 3s at Foresgate which is incredible as they are all monsters. Nephew drove the green on the 4th. Caught the hill on the left and ran up on the green but no eagle.
Team event
Best ball, scramble or shamble?

I played Foresgate for a Rutgers event. It was a while back when JH and EJ were still here. Very nice course and very reasonable rates to join.

After several beautiful sunny practice days the weather has changed to cooler, damper conditions that should stick around for the duration of the Championship.
Winds aren't calm but won't be THE factor.

For those, like myself, who haven't posted their top picks let this tidbit sink in. Koepka's caddie Ricky Elliott grew up in Portrush and knows the course better than anyone.

I'm waiting for the last minute weather report before I make my picks. it'll be interesting to see if the course can be overpowered. Think Woodland, Koepka and DJ plans to hit a lot of drivers.

I'm waiting for the last minute weather report before I make my picks. it'll be interesting to see if the course can be overpowered. Think Woodland, Koepka and DJ plans to hit a lot of drivers.
This isn't a bombers course. The best shot maker wins this week not the longest driver. Koepka will be one of my picks but not because he hits long drives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT