ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Rutgers Unofficial best pizza thread.

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
Alright RU Fans, Most of us love Pizza and now is the time to step up and show us your best. This Thread will be the "Unofficial" best Pizza thread. This is our opportunity to put up the best pizza in your area against the rest of NJ. BTW NY and NJ are considered to have some of the best Pizza and Italian food in the entire country!

So here are the rules.

1) You can only list one pizzeria per post. Pick your best and leave the rest!
2) preferably we would like only one pizzeria per town but that may not always be possible. so in the event we get more than one we will have to have a tie breaker vote.
3) List whether what type of pizza it is you are entering. (i.e. thin crust, medium crust, thick crust, grandma, etc.)
4) list name of Pizzeria, town in which it is in, Put a description of what you like about the pizza and what makes it "The Best" and put a website link if possible.
5) Once we get a list of the best pizzas in NJ, we may have to organize a "pie off" and do a meet up to crown the best pizza in NJ!

I'll kick it off: Bevacquas Reservoir tavern, Boonton NJ

The Reservior Tavern has been in Boonton since the 1936. They offer some of the best pizza I have ever had.
Crust is lite and flakey, and the pizza taste is very good. The Reservoir Tavern has showed up many times on the NJ.com "Best Pizza" list. My only complaint is you can hardly get in the place to eat it is so busy.

https://therestavern.com/

Joe's Famous Pizza
Est. 1946 | Vauxhall, New Jersey -
Family Owned for 75 Years!

dislaimer: haven't been there in over 5 years, but friends still in the area swear it's still the best around

I think I'm just going to watch all the recommendations come in and try them all.
ask first if pizza is greasy .
I tend t discount the reconsideration of a good parlor place when part of the reason recommended is it's not greasy .
For me, growing up eating greasy tomato pies, grease is a necessary ingredient when a pizzeria makes a pie you can enjoy.
So when I hear a place's pie is too greasy, it's a must try

Sciortino's in Perth Amboy

Some time back, they closed down (got eminent domained) and sold their recipe to Harbor Lights in South Amboy. But they're back in a new location in Perth Amboy.

The pizza at Harbor Light's in South Amboy is pretty good too. Mostly tastes like the original from Perth Amboy. But it's not quite as good as the original was (different ovens or different people making it, I don't know). So I recommend going to Perth Amboy.

If the Perth Amboy place is run by the same little old Italian ladies as it once was, they will NOT be particularly customer-oriented. More like the Soup Nazi from Seinfield. I should point out that I got along fine with them because I *never* gave them a hard time about waiting. In any event, the pizza was unbelievably great. On weekends, people would wait for an hour for takeout.

Try the sausage and garlic or the meatball and onion. Or the white pizza. Yum.

I need to get back there soon.

I tend t discount the reconsideration of a good parlor place when part of the reason recommended is it's not greasy .
For me, growing up eating greasy tomato pies, grease is a necessary ingredient when a pizzeria makes a pie you can enjoy.
I make a lot of pizzas at home and they have a lot of olive oil in them. And I agree that greasy pizzas can be great, although I don't think all greasy pizzas are great. And not all non-greasy pizzas are bad, either.

Been going to Cafe Napoli in Manchester for almost 20 years. Very consistent. Doesn’t matter who makes it, always tastes good.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Zia Lisa's Grandma Pie. Edison, near Highland Park border.

New Brunswick, and frankly Middlesex county, has below average pizza in general compared to most of NJ. Shocking considering how many pizzerias there are, how many Italians. And it's the middle of the pizza capital of the world.

But Zia Lisa's grandma pie is near Rutgers, and is the only pie worth traveling for in the region. And grandma pie is a very central NJ and LI and Staten style (not found in Manhattan or Bklyn) or other parts of NJ.

The Reservior Tavern has been in Boonton since the 1936. They offer some of the best pizza I have ever had.
Crust is lite and flakey, and the pizza taste is very good. The Reservoir Tavern has showed up many times on the NJ.com "Best Pizza" list. My only complaint is you can hardly get in the place to eat it is so busy.

It’s actually in Parsippany. Right on the border. Great place.

This thread has made me very hungry. I'm headed down to my kitchen to heat my oven and pizza stone, bread and fry up some chicken, and make some chicken-parm pizza.

Alright RU Fans, Most of us love Pizza and now is the time to step up and show us your best. This Thread will be the "Unofficial" best Pizza thread. This is our opportunity to put up the best pizza in your area against the rest of NJ. BTW NY and NJ are considered to have some of the best Pizza and Italian food in the entire country!

So here are the rules.

1) You can only list one pizzeria per post. Pick your best and leave the rest!
2) preferably we would like only one pizzeria per town but that may not always be possible. so in the event we get more than one we will have to have a tie breaker vote.
3) List whether what type of pizza it is you are entering. (i.e. thin crust, medium crust, thick crust, grandma, etc.)
4) list name of Pizzeria, town in which it is in, Put a description of what you like about the pizza and what makes it "The Best" and put a website link if possible.
5) Once we get a list of the best pizzas in NJ, we may have to organize a "pie off" and do a meet up to crown the best pizza in NJ!

This thread has made me very hungry. I'm headed down to my kitchen to heat my oven and pizza stone, bread and fry up some chicken, and make some chicken-parm pizza.

I thought you scrape all the cheese off and eat that exclusively? So aren't you just making chicken parm? 😜

No Philadelphia??

I don't want to be compared to places that can't make pizza. Should be part of this. Philadelphia makes great pizza as good or better then NJ/NYC.

Papa’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville, NJ
Est. 1912 and was a staple in Trenton, NJ for years before moving to Robbinsville.
Thin crust tomato pies and they also have a mustard pie that is also amazing!
I remember the italian section of Trenton that most of the Italian restaurants have closed. My work colleague used to take me to marsillios. He used to have a pitcher which was a big deal or so he told me.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Preps on the boardwalk in Ocean City.
the dough is tossed for just the right thinness, and the sauce is swirled on top of the cheese.
And yes, it’s better than Manco.

10th street pizza in Hoboken. The sign states that all pies are well done with no exceptions. Awesome place.

Reactions: Jm0513
Chambersburg had some amazing restaurants!
That’s it! I couldn’t remember the name of the section of Trenton. Thanks for mentioning it. BTW are the restaurants still there? Someone told me most of them closed or moved to surrounding towns.

Love the rez

Joe's Famous Pizza
Est. 1946 | Vauxhall, New Jersey -
Family Owned for 75 Years!

dislaimer: haven't been there in over 5 years, but friends still in the area swear it's still the best around
Yes it's still the same...same owner and cook!

Then try The Star (Assume u have already) in Orange NJ...Think crust and greasy...Simply the best!!!

That’s it! I couldn’t remember the name of the section of Trenton. Thanks for mentioning it. BTW are the restaurants still there? Someone told me most of them closed or moved to surrounding towns.
No pretty much all of the good ones are gone or moved to new locations. Do you remember Amici Milano? Fantastic Italian food.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT