ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Rutgers Unofficial best pizza thread.

VJ Pizza Route 23 Pompton Plains. Perfect ratio of cheese sauce and dough

Barstool gave Delucias in Raritan a 9.4/10 and said it was worth driving 3 hours for

Reactions: BlockR
Palermos Bordentown NJ.

Their Tomato Pie is the best, better than DeLorenzo, IMO. I have their award winning Tomato Pie once or twice a week. Absolutely love it.

It’s a thin pie, and taste of the dough/crust is different and it is almost addictive. Then the moz, and on top of the cheese only in spots is sweet, somewhat chunky tomato sauce. Finished with a little seasoning and olive oil. Plain is awesome, we also like sausage and yellow banana peppers (pepperincino).

Simple, where every ingredient adds flavor. Only 3 people in the family know the recipe and make the pizza, so it is always consistent. I am going there for lunch today and I can’t wait.

If you go, tell Giulio (owner/chef orig from Italy) that Brian, the Rutgers guy sent you.

Woodstack in Pine Brook (also in Metuchen). Can't compare their dough/crust to anything I've ever tasted. I could eat the dough with nothing on it its so good. I asked the manager why its so different and he told me they use fresh yeast, less than 24 hours old vs pre packaged yeast. Definitely worth checking out.

Not sure if it is still there, but somebody out there might know the place. About 10 or 12 years ago, I was working in the Neptune/Ocean Township area. There was a shopping center with a Kohls at one end and a pizza parlor at the other end. Shell station was across from it. Very friendly staff. Might be my favorite pizza of all time. Wish I could remember the name of it.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Not sure if it is still there, but somebody out there might know the place. About 10 or 12 years ago, I was working in the Neptune/Ocean Township area. There was a shopping center with a Kohls at one end and a pizza parlor at the other end. Shell station was across from it. Very friendly staff. Might be my favorite pizza of all time. Wish I could remember the name of it.
Rizzo's Pizza. Still good.

Yup, that was it. Once in a while the company would spring for pizza—sometimes Rizzos and sometimes from a place called Attilios. Always hoped it was from Rizzos when it arrived.
Oh my gosh, on their website it has a photo of the shop that says they have $1.17 slices on Fridays. I can’t believe they still have that Friday promo !

Alright RU Fans, Most of us love Pizza and now is the time to step up and show us your best. This Thread will be the "Unofficial" best Pizza thread. This is our opportunity to put up the best pizza in your area against the rest of NJ. BTW NY and NJ are considered to have some of the best Pizza and Italian food in the entire country!

So here are the rules.

1) You can only list one pizzeria per post. Pick your best and leave the rest!
2) preferably we would like only one pizzeria per town but that may not always be possible. so in the event we get more than one we will have to have a tie breaker vote.
3) List whether what type of pizza it is you are entering. (i.e. thin crust, medium crust, thick crust, grandma, etc.)
4) list name of Pizzeria, town in which it is in, Put a description of what you like about the pizza and what makes it "The Best" and put a website link if possible.
5) Once we get a list of the best pizzas in NJ, we may have to organize a "pie off" and do a meet up to crown the best pizza in NJ!
De Lorenzo's in Robbinsville - best of the best with ratings to back it up
Tomato pie style, thin and crunchy crust

We go to Mr. Asante in Greenbrook. Came in rather low in a newspaper contest a number of years ago, but we like it a lot better than the one that came in first.

Reactions: RickB113
No pretty much all of the good ones are gone or moved to new locations. Do you remember Amici Milano? Fantastic Italian food.
Chambersburg is a restaurant ghost town unfortunately. Marsillios is in Ewing now. Food is still just as good, the atmosphere just isn’t the same. Rossi’s was my favorite spot in the Burg (besides DeLorenzos). They moved out to Hamilton. I tried it twice and just wasn’t into it unfortunately.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Virami’s Pizza in Flemington. Always good. My wife and daughters love Salad Pizza. I am more of a traditional sausage/pepperoni fan.

Another one of my favorites, Nancy's Towne House in Rahway. I personally think he rated it on the low side at an 8.8

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT