ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Shine Is Off Coach Prime

Travis Hunter makes Football Writers and AP All-American

2SJIo9F.gif

Xo2jzHA.gif

4 wins - Including 2 wins by 3 points and a defense ranked 126 out of 130 giving up 453 YPG. A porous offensive line wasn't their only issue.
Well- like all good HC's- you look at your weaknesses and fix them. In this case- I have great confidence in Prime bringing in very experienced coaches to coach the OL and DL next year- oh wait...

4 wins - Including 2 wins by 3 points and a defense ranked 126 out of 130 giving up 453 YPG. A porous offensive line wasn't their only issue.

The depth was poor on defense.
A MLB went down and a 195lb S had to play the spot for last third of season (he also went down).
Buffs never had much of a pass rush.
Hunter almost won TCU by himself with INTs and TDs and when he went down for a month they basically lost 2 All Pac 12s because of having a two-way player.

Still, USC, Utah, Stanford and Az St were lost by combined 22 points.
Stanford bugs DS the most because they had the game in the bag at the half.

Deion working hard to counter idea he will be leaving for another job soon.
Can never say "never" with the Prime but I think he really does like Col for longer term.
He owns that place.

“I love Boulder, Colorado, and Buffalo. I’m not chasing finances. I’m not chasing the bag. I’m not chasing notoriety…I love what I do, and I do what I love….I don’t plan on being anywhere else in my coaching career. It is my desire to one day retire…ride off on a white horse with a black hat in the sunset in Boulder, Colorado. Winning a championship…championships…that’s what I wanna do.”

A MLB went down and a 195lb S had to play the spot for last third of season (he also went down).
Hunter almost won TCU by himself with INTs and TDs and when he went down for a month they basically lost 2 All Pac 12s because of having a two-way player.

Can never say "never" with the Prime but I think he really does like Col for longer term.
He owns that place.

“I love Boulder, Colorado, and Buffalo. I’m not chasing finances. I’m not chasing the bag. I’m not chasing notoriety…I love what I do, and I do what I love….I don’t plan on being anywhere else in my coaching career. It is my desire to one day retire…ride off on a white horse with a black hat in the sunset in Boulder, Colorado. Winning a championship…championships…that’s what I wanna do.”
excuses, lets see what's Coach Sanders brings to the table in 2024.
As for loving Boulder, I don't think Deion really cares a lot about it, just knows pumping up being there will help his image.

As for loving Boulder, I don't think Deion really cares a lot about it, just knows pumping up being there will help his image.
Prime forgot to add
"I love My sons, Boulder, Colorado, and Buffalo. I’m not chasing finances for anyone but my sons. I’m not chasing the bag. I’m not chasing notoriety(hehehe)…I love what I do, and I do what I love….I don’t plan on being anywhere else in my coaching career. It is my desire to one day retire…ride off on a white horse with a black hat in the sunset... in (where am I now?) Boulder, Colorado. Winning a championship…championships…or see my sons drafted that’s what I wanna do. And I hope my players and coaches don't screw it up on me like they did all year- they make me look bad and hurt my son...they keep that up and I will just bring another group of kids in here

• Love
Reactions: MADHAT1
Prime forgot to add
"I love My sons, Boulder, Colorado, and Buffalo. I’m not chasing finances for anyone but my sons. I’m not chasing the bag. I’m not chasing notoriety(hehehe)…I love what I do, and I do what I love….I don’t plan on being anywhere else in my coaching career. It is my desire to one day retire…ride off on a white horse with a black hat in the sunset... in (where am I now?) Boulder, Colorado. Winning a championship…championships…or see my sons drafted that’s what I wanna do. And I hope my players and coaches don't screw it up on me like they did all year- they make me look bad and hurt my son...they keep that up and I will just bring another group of kids in here
Or maybe he'll retire around Mt. Rushmore in Los Angeles.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Fans of Sanderado don't care as much about the record as the haters do.

When the haters bark out "they only won four games!" The fans hear "they only won three more games than last year!" Not exactly a gut punch.

Sanders loves Colorado for many reasons.
Of course its a nice setting but its also central to recruiting the nation,
I used to think Colorado was in middle of nowhere recruiting wise but its actually in the middle of everything.

A recruit in CA might have a problem going to NJ but Boulder to LA is under 2 hours. Most places in US are 2-3 hr flights to Boulder (Miami is furthest at 3.75 hrs).

Sanders loves Colorado admins.
Not many places want a coach wearing a 5lb crucifix at games (political groups already targeting).
Colorado AD is just a brother from another mother as far as Sanders is concerned.
A lot of top football schools have a jungle of alums/donors that coaches have to deal with.
Sanders wants none of that and has relative domination at Colorado.
Sanders also puts the NFL down all the time.
The only way I see him there is if Dallas gets Shedeur and Jerry Jones (loves Sanders) gives pops all the keys and a billion dollars.

"2023 CU home games generated $113.2 million"

Reactions: redking
Fans of Sanderado don't care as much about the record as the haters do.

When the haters bark out "they only won four games!" The fans hear "they only won three more games than last year!" Not exactly a gut punch.

Sanders loves Colorado for many reasons.
Of course its a nice setting but its also central to recruiting the nation,
I used to think Colorado was in middle of nowhere recruiting wise but its actually in the middle of everything.

A recruit in CA might have a problem going to NJ but Boulder to LA is under 2 hours. Most places in US are 2-3 hr flights to Boulder (Miami is furthest at 3.75 hrs).

Sanders loves Colorado admins.
Not many places want a coach wearing a 5lb crucifix at games (political groups already targeting).
Colorado AD is just a brother from another mother as far as Sanders is concerned.
A lot of top football schools have a jungle of alums/donors that coaches have to deal with.
Sanders wants none of that and has relative domination at Colorado.
Sanders also puts the NFL down all the time.
The only way I see him there is if Dallas gets Shedeur and Jerry Jones (loves Sanders) gives pops all the keys and a billion dollars.

"2023 CU home games generated $113.2 million"
If he has 4 wins again next year or even 5- do you think they still won't care about wins?

If he has 4 wins again next year or even 5- do you think they still won't care about wins?
They will do like Deion has done, look for scapegoats and act like the HC was let down by the players.

Wearing a 5lb crucifix at games looks like nice way for Deion to show his religious values, but pushing kids out of the program because Sanders felt they weren't in his plans , instead of trying to make them better, might not be considered a christian like move.
Maybe Sanders detractors that complain about his cross feel it's just for show and the Christian values he shows really are not part of the way he runs a program but for PR purposes.
Sanders knows how to hype himself and the program he heads, so what he claims needs to be looked at and judged by his actions .

To many feel what Sanders says makes him great, but sometimes greatness is walking the walk by backing up the talk.
Sanders should be successful, but needs that to happen before he's put in the Coaching

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

Sure - fans caring about the record is part of the rebuild. Empty stadiums said that a lot of people stopped caring. Now people have a sense for the process. SpaceX having rocket mishaps are part of the quest. The GameDay circus for Buffs vs Col State was a wrong turn and sizzle got ahead of the steak. Now the steak is cooking.

Sure - fans caring about the record is part of the rebuild. Empty stadiums said that a lot of people stopped caring. Now people have a sense for the process. SpaceX having rocket mishaps are part of the quest. The GameDay circus for Buffs vs Col State was a wrong turn and sizzle got ahead of the steak. Now the steak is cooking.
Steak is going to burn….crash and burn.

Deion with the right assistants can and will be a success as the Buff HC .
But he'll fail if he lets his ego and need to be seem in a good light making him place blame on his staff and players when bad things happen..
Then the extra effort will be diminished because Sanders took some of their joy of being around him and made them lose respect for the way he coaches the game.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Reactions: ashokan
He has added a bunch of offensive linemen this offseason but can they gel and become at least a satisfactory unit? What looks nice on paper doesn’t always come together in actuality.

I honestly don't know how they can do any worse than last year. The OL players didn't even look good in pads - more like chubby kids from a community college team. Out of 133 P5 teams COlorado was 132nd for sacks allowed AND it all could have been worse if Shedeur wasn't such a good scrambler (until he finally got a broken bone in his back)

He owns that place.

Wait You still think teams would try to poach him?

I honestly don't know how they can do any worse than last year. The OL players didn't even look good in pads - more like chubby kids from a community college team. Out of 133 P5 teams COlorado was 132nd for sacks allowed AND it all could have been worse if Shedeur wasn't such a good scrambler (until he finally got a broken bone in his back)
I think that's probably true. The bar is so low as far as improvement but will it be enough improvement to make a difference in the W column.

I mentioned this in the game threads during the season but I think SS also holds the ball way too long. That’s not the only or even major reason he gets sacked but it’s a solid contributor.

Deion with the right assistants can and will be a success as the Buff HC .
But he'll fail if he lets his ego and need to be seem in a good light making him place blame on his staff and players when bad things happen..
Then the extra effort will be diminished because Sanders took some of their joy of being around him and made them lose respect for the way he coaches the game.
Demoting your OC and probably best coach on staff for no reason in season isn’t the best way to get Quality assistant. If you were an established DC would you want a DL coach who has never coached before. Anywhere?

Last edited:
I think that's probably true. The bar is so low as far as improvement but will it be enough improvement to make a difference in the W column.

I mentioned this in the game threads during the season but I think SS also holds the ball way too long. That’s not the only or even major reason he gets sacked but it’s a solid contributor.

He's hangs-in to try and make plays because there was no run game so he was it for scoring.
He only had 3 INTs all season (27 TDs) with guys in his face.

Another problem was Buff coach running deep pass plays over and over. Any NYG fan who watched Eli his last years knows you can't pass long if you cant block long. Yet the OC was going deep routes over and over. During one game where Shedeur was sacked 7x and hit 17x I thought to myself ("OC is going to get this kid killed"). That week Deion demoted the guy and I knew why

Demoting your OC and probably best coach on staff for no reason in season isn’t the best way to get Quality assistant. If you were an established DC would you want a DL Cossack who has never coached before. Anywhere?
Well the OC Deion demoted wound up getting the SDSU HC job, proving Sanders knows what hes doing.
Colorado's new OL coach has plenty of experience. 4 years as a Offensive analyst ( 2 schools, 2 years at each one, also add his 2 years as an offensive assistant at another school )
This hire has all the earmarks of a winner or SGOY (Scapegoat Of the Year)

Well the OC Deion demoted wound up getting the SDSU HC job, proving Sanders knows what hes doing.
Colorado's new OL coach has plenty of experience. 4 years as a Offensive analyst ( 2 schools, 2 years at each one, also add his 2 years as an offensive assistant at another school )
This hire has all the earmarks of a winner or SGOY (Scapegoat Of the Year)
Wait demoting a guy who left a HC job to worth there and then he immediately got another one after being demoted is proof he knows what he’s doing? That’s a hot take

Demoting your OC and probably best coach on staff for no reason in season isn’t the best way to get Quality assistant. If you were an established DC would you want a DL coach who has never coached before. Anywhere?
The Lewis stuff makes me less optimistic that Deion will work but who knows. B12 is a wide open conference. Utah and Ok St are probably the more established names but it's really anyone's guess who can step up.

Reactions: vkj91
Weren't 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen this year brought in by Deion?? If so, he made some serious mistakes in talent evaluation and only has himself and his staff to blame.

Wait demoting a guy who left a HC job to worth there and then he immediately got another one after being demoted is proof he knows what he’s doing? That’s a hot take
You forgot the great hire of someone with very little actual coaching experience for a P-5 OL coach position.
That really shows Deion knows how and who to hire ( for a potential scapegoat if things look bad)

LOL, I started this thread exactly two months ago. Never expected you guys to still be arguing this long.

Let's see if we can get to 100 pages by the end of training camp.

Two brothers, QB Destin Wade and outside linebacker Keaten Wade are Transferring to Colorado. LB looks good. Seems like family portal month with the Minn guys added in

Weren't 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen this year brought in by Deion?? If so, he made some serious mistakes in talent evaluation and only has himself and his staff to blame.

He had no time.
People dont get the situation.
Colorado had hired and fired three coaches the prior ten years.
Deion was coach number 4 (and #3 was a black coach and he didn't work out) and the kitty was low on funds - didn't even have the money to pay Deion.
We all know football is the biggest moneymaker that pays for the other sports.
Well Colorado was missing that and they needed help quick

Deion didn't get rid of existing players just to be butt.
Things had gone to seed out there and guys were partying, doing mischief etc.
The place needed a clean sweep and Colorado wanted it that way.
They changed their transfer rules to get all the players in.
Deion ran out and scooped what he could find in the winter
Its not like they conducted a big talent search,
Its also worth a mention that some players stayed (like S Woods and an TE) and did good.
The players coming in now are better - has some B1G starters on OL coming on

He had no time.
People dont get the situation.
Colorado had hired and fired three coaches the prior ten years.
Deion was coach number 4 (and #3 was a black coach and he didn't work out) and the kitty was low on funds - didn't even have the money to pay Deion.
We all know football is the biggest moneymaker that pays for the other sports.
Well Colorado was missing that and they needed help quick

Deion didn't get rid of existing players just to be butt.
Things had gone to seed out there and guys were partying, doing mischief etc.
The place needed a clean sweep and Colorado wanted it that way.
They changed their transfer rules to get all the players in.
Deion ran out and scooped what he could find in the winter
Its not like they conducted a big talent search,
Its also worth a mention that some players stayed (like S Woods and an TE) and did good.
The players coming in now are better - has some B1G starters on OL coming on
"Deion didn't get rid of existing players just to be butt.
Things had gone to seed out there and guys were partying, doing mischief et"
Not true, in most cases Sanders felt they weren't good enough for him and told them to go away.
Deion brought the talent he felt would help from Jackson State, basically gutting tha tprogram's talent base.
But that's the way the game is now and can't blame Sanders for looking out for himself and the program that hired him
But the Buff players kicked to the curb wound up there because Deion felt they lacked talent and that was the clean up . He wasn't a butt, just uncaring about what happened to players he had no use for
They were not the social misfits like you implied

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT