ADVERTISEMENT

OT: This day in music history: John meets Paul

The part about playing on the lorry was similar to my son's experience this week when his band played on the back of a truck in the Ridgewood 4th of July parade.

Who was most likely to be the fifth Beatle?
billy-preston.jpg

Had dinner once with local friends who had friends from Liverpool visiting. I asked the man (in his early 70's) what he did for a living. He was doing some sort of market research, and then said, "But I'm really just an old bass player. Never made it big, though."

A few more minutes of chat go by and then "the penny drops" (Kiwi for "the light bulb goes on"). I say, "You were a bass player in Liverpool in the 60's?!"

He smiles and says, "Yep. Knew 'em all." We spent the next hour talking Liverpool bands. His argument was that nobody thought the Beatles were the most talented group. They were more impressed with musicianship than song writing and the like, and thought there were more talented guys. He was a big fan of The Undertakers. I listened to some of their work, and they were really pretty good. Very good drummer and sax player. Also good lead vocalist. He also said the Brian Epstein wanted to sign them, but they went with somebody else because they thought Epstein had too many groups to manage.

Fun evening.

Reactions: batts and Abro1975
There were many other good Liverpool bands: The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Fourmost, the Merseybeats, etc. In the period 1957-1963 there were hundreds of beat bands playing in Liverpool. It must have been quite a scene.

I recall an interview with John Lennon talking about growing up as a teenager in Liverpool. American rock and roll was everywhere and all the kids were playing guitars and drums and forming bands. Your worth and popularity weren't measured by how well you did in school or if you were good in athletics, but if you were in a band and if it was a good one. It was a very competitive atmosphere and he wanted to have the best band. I guess he succeeded.

When he first met Paul M he was impressed by his playing and singing, but also a little intimidated. He was concerned about bringing someone in who at the time appeared to have more talent than him, but since he wanted the best band Paul was asked to join.

Tomorrow is when Sam met Dave and Peter met Gordon and John Cougar met John Mellenkamp and the first Go met the other Go's and Flatt met Scruggs and R met U..

Tomorrow is when Sam met Dave and Peter met Gordon and John Cougar met John Mellenkamp and the first Go met the other Go's and Flatt met Scruggs and R met U..
And earlier today was when you met the bottle.

Yes - the album with "Here Comes the Ton" on it

Also "Maxwell's Silver Platter" and I Screw You (He's So Heavy)
Of course, the medley was the best part:

You Never Give Me Your Mocha / Bun King / Mean Mr. Christie / Polyunsaturated Pam / He Came In Through The Bathroom Ceiling / Golden Twinkies / Carry That Weight / The End / His Majesty

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersMO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT