ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger Now Expected to Play in Masters - Link

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Augusta newspaper reports that his private plane was in Augusta today and that he's playing the course, suggesting that he will tee it up next week in the Masters. This will be must see reality TV, even for the casual golf fan.

It will be a moral victory if he can make the cut, but who knows what to expect from his performance ?

Yip, Yip, Yippee

I am not sure playing some practice rounds means he will definitely play. I think he would be the story if he played, and allow some others like Rory to fly under the radar a little.

But whether he plays or not, the Masters is too big to miss one player, even TIger. We will all be watching if there are contenders coming down the stretch sunday heading into Amen corner, my favorite part of the tournament. THis will hapen with or without Tiger.

If he plays and has the same poor play and chip yips he has shown, this would be devastating to Tiger. I hope he plays, so we can see what happens. If he ever was in the hunt on sunday afternoon, it would be great drama. Jim Nantz would blow a gasket.

Flying up that short distance isn't a commitment. We will know by Friday as that is the rule.

Tiger is probably shooting 59 every practice round, but the Masters will trick it up to make sure that he misses the cut.

Originally posted by kapyoche:

Tiger is probably shooting 59 every practice round, but the Masters will trick it up to make sure that he misses the cut.
Tiger may have a fix for the chip yips during a private round but can he make them go away in a PGA tournament ?

After flying in to Augusta and practicing today he will take another major PR hit if he decides not to play. It's clear to me that he intends to play next week. Rumor is that he's lighting it up in FL the past few weeks on his home course so he's probably striking the ball well and is injury free.

agree that the Masters is still a great event without Tiger. But it's even better if he's in the field and much better if he's in the mix. This one bears watching.

There's been no doubt in my mind since he announced he was leaving the game to work on his swing that he'd magically be ready for the Masters

He may very well play Thursday and Friday but I seriously doubt he makes the cut.

Even with the wide, player friendly fairways and lack of rough the way he was hitting the ball just a few weeks ago gives him no chance.

People keep bringing up his chipping but why was he required to chip in the 1st place? Because his iron play was so poor he was missing greens. Not to mention he was often hitting shots others didn't have to because his driving was so erratic.

I'd love to see him play and do well but the guy who walked off the course a few weeks ago was a mess from tee to green.

Maybe he is there for the cerrimonial tee shot. Is Arnie or Jack sick?

Just imagine having to hit a downhill chip with the yips from behind the 12th green, with that water staring you in the face across from the slick downhill green...

Originally posted by kapyoche:

Actually, I'd expect exactly the opposite if they could.

I think him having the yips and looking like a common hack in TV was a huge kick in the boy bags to his ego which cannot happen period. This has lit the fire in his belly again and he will play well from here on in again.

Originally posted by greenknight:
I think him having the yips and looking like a common hack in TV was a huge kick in the boy bags to his ego which cannot happen period. This has lit the fire in his belly again and he will play well from here on in again.
Thats not how the yips are cured. The yips are 100% mental. Determination and focusing on it just makes them worse.
He wont know himself until he is put under pressure.

As far as golf is better with him in general, the Masters is the expection. The Masters is bigger than any player. It is an event that is completely unique in all of sports.

Fortunately or unfortunately, ratings are still up significantly when he plays. From a viewership perspective I personally hope he doesn't play because the coverage becomes Tiger centric even when he is 10 back. But I guess that's what people want.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I stick with my original analysis. Tiger never had the yips, he just didn't practice in a way a golfer needs to to be sharp. That could be back related or it could be that he just doesn't enjoy the process anymore.

But with that sponsorship money hanging in the balance, he's going to put the time in, if he's healthy.That appears to be what's been gong on over the last 60 days.

If there's one thing that guy loves more than anything, it's making money. Nothing wrong with wanting to make money but just saying, he's a guy that focuses on it and would get bummed out to not make money, even though he has enough for a few lifetimes.

Media report said he shot 66 at Medalist in a worst ball format, meaning you hit two shots, every time and have to play the one that's furthest from the hole. If you make a birdie putt on your first go, you have to make it the second time for it to be score a birdie. 66 is a very hard score to achieve doing that.

Game could be sharp but agree, if he doesn't have it, I don't want to have to watch all of his bad golf. The Masters is one tournament with the clout to tell CBS to only focus on Tiger if he's among the leaders. Hopefully they will.

to stay relevant he needs to keep playing.

Maybe he goes to a reduced playing schedule that includes the Majors and 10 or so other tournaments a year.

Playing 30-40 tournaments a year may be too much for him right now but 15-20 may work out, especially when a few of them are the invitationals in the Middle East and Asia.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:

Maybe he goes to a reduced playing schedule that includes the Majors and 10 or so other tournaments a year.

Playing 30-40 tournaments a year may be too much for him right now but 15-20 may work out, especially when a few of them are the invitationals in the Middle East and Asia.

Tiger has never played more than 21 times a year. He has played in a total of 25 tournaments since the start of 2013.

And Chase. You don't have to take it from me or anyone else on this board. Every golf analyst, which most are former pros, knows that he has the yips.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:
Flying up that short distance isn't a commitment. We will know by Friday as that is the rule.
Andy North said on ESPN that he has until next Tuesday to notify the Masters if he will play.

Originally posted by Ty Webb:

Andy North said on ESPN that he has until next Tuesday to notify the Masters if he will play.
That may be correct as the Masters isn't a PGA stop. They may have their own rule but that seems to be cutting it short as tee times are announced on Tuesday. And since it isn't a PGA tour stop their isn't an official alternates list so it's not like he taking someone's spot.

I don't think the Masters has a waiting list like most tournaments do. You are either in or out. (But I may be wrong). If so, that would be why he has until next Tuesday and not this Friday. Good info.

That may be correct as the Masters isn't a PGA stop. They may have their own rule but that seems to be cutting it short as tee times are announced on Tuesday. And since it isn't a PGA tour stop their isn't an official alternates list so it's not like he taking someone's spot.
I was under the impression that the Masters field is always finalized by Sunday night. I could be wrong, but this is what is gospel in the Masters pool I'm in every year.

Originally posted by RU85inFla:

I don't think the Masters has a waiting list like most tournaments do. You are either in or out. (But I may be wrong). If so, that would be why he has until next Tuesday and not this Friday. Good info.
This is exactly what North said. Tiger has until Tuesday because he's not holding anyone's spot. The Masters doesn't have some alternates list. You either have an invite and RSVP to play or you don't.

North could be wrong about the cut off date, I suppose.

Imo if Tiger wasn't going to play he would have withdrawn already. Why wait until the 11th hour ? Since he's been lighting it up in FL he appears to be healthy and playing well. He loves Augusta National and has always played well there so I can't see him saying that his game is not ready, especially because he seems to be healthy right now.

We'll see. Yips = involuntary muscle spasm. Bad short game can also mean no confidence because of technique worry and lack of practice to overcome the doubt. I never saw spasm, I saw doubt. Spasms don't go away so if he has them, we'll see it from here on out and he's basically finished. But don't know how someone shoots a worse ball 66 with the yips. That's impossible.

Tiger has never played more than 21 times a year. He has played in a total of 25 tournaments since the start of 2013.

And Chase. You don't have to take it from me or anyone else on this board. Every golf analyst, which most are former pros, knows that he has the yips.

Originally posted by chase07470:
We'll see. Yips = involuntary muscle spasm. Bad short game can also mean no confidence because of technique worry and lack of practice to overcomeiitthe doubt. I never saw spasm, I saw doubt. Spasms don't go away so if he practicehem, we'll see it from here on out and he's basically finished. But don't know how someone shoots a worse ball 66 with the yips. That's impossible.

Chase having the yips in golf is not an involuntary physical spasm but more a mental spasm. Its an indecision of the mind where you either increase the speed at the last mili-second or a unwanted deceleration. Has nothing to do with how much or little you practice. Its your mind no longer having the confidence in a swing or putting stroke.
Many great golfers have had them. That is why the change grips and why the long putters became so popular.
The yips ended Johnny Millers career and made Sam Snead putt side saddle.
I

Chase has no clue what a yip is!
He's already been told Tiger said and I quote "at least my short game is sharp it's all I've been able to do for months"

A muscle spasm is the LAST thing it is, I saw Steve Sax throw a thousand balls to first base in warm ups perfectly, the first ball to him during the game ended up in the stands.

Originally posted by zappaa:
He's already been told Tiger said and I quote "at least my short game is sharp it's all I've been able to do for months"

A muscle spasm is the LAST thing it is, I saw Steve Sax throw a thousand balls to first base in warm ups perfectly, the first ball to him during the game ended up in the stands.And Yankee fans shudder when Chuck Knoblauch is brought up. He was a All Star second baseman in Minnesota and completely lost it with the Yankees. All mental. He threw away his chance to become a HOF canidate...literally. Hit Charlie Steiners mom in the 10th row on a routine play.

Tiger is probably shooting 59 every practice round, but the Master will trick it up to make sure that he misses the cut.

----
Is that on the first or second nine?

Originally posted by Rufaninga:
Tiger is probably shooting 59 every practice round, but the Master will trick it up to make sure that he misses the cut.

----
Is teliminatee first or second nine?
Huh? What??? Have you ever watched the Masters??. It hard enough for anyone not on their game. Plus Tiger winning would be huge.
No the Masters wont do anything to eliminate any single player especially a padt winner. They more than any tournament celebrate and embrace their past winners.

Originally posted by RU85inFla:
Maybe he is there for the cerrimonial tee shot. Is Arnie or Jack sick?
Actually, Arnie will barely make the ceremonial tee shot and won't play in the par-3 tournament. Seems that he had a fall in December, dislocating his shoulder and he's not up to playing yet. I'm disappointed, as I'll be there on Wednesday to see the course and the par 3.

The King himself, Arnold Palmer agrees with me! He's added in the bit about Earl Woods but he, like me, doesn't think Tiger is grinding like he did when he was a champion golfer. No mention of yips.

"As long as Tiger stuck to the routine that his father had laid out for him, he was going to succeed. Had he continued to do that, he probably could have established a record that would never have been broken."
Since Earl Woods died in May 2006, Tiger has won four major titles: the 2006 British Open and PGA Championship, the 2007 PGA Championship and the 2008 U.S. Open. But he has not won another major since that Open seven years ago.
"After his father died, and without getting into what happened and why it happened, Tiger got into other things," Palmer says in the book. "He went away from the routine and the work ethic that was so natural for him. It's happened before. It has something to do with the psychological effect of the game."
Tiger won five events in 2013 but has struggled with injuries since then and has fallen to 104th in the world ranking.
Palmer, who learned the game from his father, Deacon, thinks it's possible for Tiger to regain his form but not likely."If he doesn't try to go back to where he was five or six years ago, he will get worse instead of better," Palmer told Bamberger. "Could he go back to where he was? He could. Do I think he will? No."

A muscle spasm is the LAST thing it is, I saw Steve Sax throw a thousand balls to first base in warm ups perfectly, the first ball to him during the game ended up in the stands.And Yankee fans shudder when Chuck Knoblauch is brought up. He was a All Star second baseman in Minnesota and completely lost it with the Yankees. All mental. He threw away his chance to become a HOF canidate...literally. Hit Charlie Steiners mom in the 10th row on a routine play.

The King himself, Arnold Palmer agrees with me! He's added in the bit about Earl Woods but he, like me, doesn't think Tiger is grinding like he did when he was a champion golfer. No mention of yips.

"As long as Tiger stuck to the routine that his father had laid out for him, he was going to succeed. Had he continued to do that, he probably could have established a record that would never have been broken."
Since Earl Woods died in May 2006, Tiger has won four major titles: the 2006 British Open and PGA Championship, the 2007 PGA Championship and the 2008 U.S. Open. But he has not won another major since that Open seven years ago.
"After his father died, and without getting into what happened and why it happened, Tiger got into other things," Palmer says in the book. "He went away from the routine and the work ethic that was so natural for him. It's happened before. It has something to do with the psychological effect of the game."
Tiger won five events in 2013 but has struggled with injuries since then and has fallen to 104th in the world ranking.
Palmer, who learned the game from his father, Deacon, thinks it's possible for Tiger to regain his form but not likely."If he doesn't try to go back to where he was five or six years ago, he will get worse instead of better," Palmer told Bamberger. "Could he go back to where he was? He could. Do I think he will? No."

LOL…The greatest short game and putter the world has ever seen suddenly can't make solid contact because of work ethic.
Further evidence of cluelessness. Arnie is speaking of his overall golf game which may be true, but has ZERO to do with making solid contact with a wedge…I repeat ZERO.

Clueless. Absolutely clueless!

His former coach of 6 years and the most sought out golf instructor Hank Haney says it's the yips but Chase from Scarlet Nation knows better.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

"When you have the yips, you have issues," Haney said. "This isn't going away. This isn't just a turn of the switch." "It starts with technique and morphs into something else," he said. "It just doesn't go away."
"It's not just chipping and pitching," he said. "He's blading it out of bunkers."

Arnie does not agree with you. That was an answer to Tigers overall game. Arnie didn't answer the specific question about the yips.

You have no idea how foolish your posts are becoming.

Haney on Tigers yips

In the words of Paul Azinger, "I am not an idiot."

"I still am one of the few guys who think he can challenge and beat Jack's record," Azinger said, alluding to Woods' chase of Jack Nicklaus ' record 18 majors. "I'm not writing him off. I'm not an idiot. His problems are easy fixes. It may take time, and a good conversation with Tiger Woods would do all the good in the world, so he's not done. And he doesn't have the yips. Sticking the leading edge into the ground is not the yips."I just think he's having trust issues.I think you two need to let this play out before you start crowing about Tiger Woods career being finished by the yips. I'm not saying it's definitely not the case, simply that I don't think it's the case.

We'll see.

"I still am one of the few guys who think he can challenge and beat Jack's record," Azinger said, alluding to Woods' chase of Jack Nicklaus ' record 18 majors. "I'm not writing him off. I'm not an idiot. His problems are easy fixes. It may take time, and a good conversation with Tiger Woods would do all the good in the world, so he's not done. And he doesn't have the yips. Sticking the leading edge into the ground is not the yips."I just think he's having trust issues.I think you two need to let this play out before you start crowing about Tiger Woods career being finished by the yips. I'm not saying it's definitely not the case, simply that I don't think it's the case.

We'll see.
That's not at all what you said, and he may very well conquer his problem and become great again. BUT, it won't be because of work ethic, it'll be because his brain overcomes his problem. If his brain won't allow it to happen, work ethic and practice will make him worse.

We'll see.
I've never said his career is over. I'm not stupid either. I'm also not stupid enough to say that his chipping problems wasn't the yips like you keep saying. You have to be blind or never played the game well enough to see the obvious problem he's had.

Azingers says they aren't the yips but than defines his problem as "trust issues" another code word for the yips.

BTW golfers hate admitting to two things. The yips and shanks even exist.. Some will never mention the words in fear of getting both into their own heads.

We'll see.
I've never said his career is over. I'm not stupid either. I'm also not stupid enough to say that his chipping problems wasn't the yips like you keep saying. You have to be blind or never played the game well enough to see the obvious problem he's had.

Azingers says they aren't the yips but than defines his problem as "trust issues" another code word for the yips.

BTW golfers hate admitting to two things. The yips and shanks even exist.. Some will never mention the words in fear of getting both into their own heads.
I'm not going to call you stupid but I definitely don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to golf. Yips are sudden, involuntary muscle spasms, nervous jerks that are virtually impossible to cure.

Trust issues are not committing to the shot. It's a much easier fix, as Azinger says. Basically, you practice and play until you trust again.

The fact Tiger is shooting in the mid sixties a mere month removed from the debacle in Torrey Pines definitely supports my and Azinger theory that it isn't the yips.

We'll see, White Bus. We shall see.

We'll see.

I'm not going to call you stupid but I definitely don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to golf. Yips are sudden, involuntary muscle spasms, nervous jerks that are virtually impossible to cure.

Trust issues are not committing to the shot. It's a much easier fix, as Azinger says. Basically, you practice and play until you trust again.

The fact Tiger is shooting in the mid sixties a mere month removed from the debacle in Torrey Pines definitely supports my and Azinger theory that it isn't the yips.

We'll see, White Bus. We shall see.
As a former PGA assistant, instructor, letterwinner and former scratch player trust me it is you that hasn't a clue!

Yips aren't muscle spasms, they are spasms of the mind. Your insistence that they are a physical condition is proof that you don't know what you are talking about. Tiger has not played competitive golf since Torrey. Shooting practice rounds in the 60's means nothing. The mere fact that you bring that up shows how little you know about pro sports and pressure.

From Wikipedia:

In Mayo Clinic found that 33 percent to 48 percent of all serious golfers have experienced the yips. Golfers who have played for more than 25 years appear to be most prone to the condition.

====================

Azinger is telling you there is a difference between Yips and trust. The fact you don't distinguish between the two reveals you to be the one without the knowledge in this discussion and therefore a rather boring person to engage with especially considering all the arrogance and mean spiritedness you somehow find appropriate to inject into simply sharing different view points on a professional golfer.

For the record, I'm currently a six handicap, had it down to three at one point. I shot a 76 at Zaapaa club last Septmember, finished by '14 season with a 75 at North Berwick, the tenth best course in Scotland. I covered the PGA Tour for three years for the Associated Press before being promoted to go run another department in London. So, I'm pretty comfortable with my credentials to discuss golf.

In fact, I'm off to start the '15 season right now. See ya.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT