ADVERTISEMENT

OT: True Detective

I think every season has had some level of mysticism. The first 3 episodes have piqued my curiosity. I’m going to see where this goes.

BTW, Jodie Foster is old. Maybe too old for the role.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I wasn't expecting the paranormal stuff, but when all is said and done, I think that we'll never really know if it was a vision, a dream, or nothing at all. Still a great series so far.

I don’t think it’s paranormal. Has something to do with the mine leaks or scientists released some microbe or bacteria drilling that’s making people crazy. Also don’t think they we’re doing climate change research, not with the Tuttle family involved

Spoilers

I like it, but I think the supernatural stuff is all a diversion. My guess for whodunit: the older woman in the first episode may have worked at the research station at one time, was sexually harassed or assaluted by one or more of the men, or was an ally to the murdered woman and was retaliated against for it, so she eventually retaliated against them all by using her mad science skills by turning them into a giant ice brick.

Didn't expect the Hannibal Lecter/Clarice Starling exchange of "quid pro quo you tell me thing, I tell you things" in the last episode. Would not be surprised if in the final episode if someone asks Danvers why she ended up in Ennis, Alaksa and she responds "About 33 years ago I was an FBI agent who profiled a serial killer named Hannibal Lexter who escaped and he was really fond of me. I changed my name to Danvers and wanted to get away from him as far as possible. Thought living in Alaska and then above the Arctic Circle would be far and away enough."

If I had to rank the seasons, I'd say Season 1 is still the best, then 3, then 4 then 2, with 2 being just plain bad.

True Detective reminds me of the series “Stranger Things “ and several others over the past several years. Does TV have a push against using good looking women. or is that now an off limits thing? Hollywood is struggling to come up with new ideas . Funny but true ….Jodie Foster may be the hottest actress on the series.

I’m going to give this series one more episode, because it is rather boring so far (nothing happens in 90% of each show).

The first two seasons had this build-up week to week that something bad is going to happen. The characters and actors were also better that the current crop.

I’m going to give this series one more episode, because it is rather boring so far (nothing happens in 90% of each show).

The first two seasons had this build-up week to week that something bad is going to happen. The characters and actors were also better that the current crop.
Only two episodes left anyway. It’s been a snoozer.

Very weird. Each time I see the “3 men frozen outside” thread on here I think of the show. Is it only me? Lol
I could have done without the Jodie Foster sex scene.
🤮
She’s definitely growing into her old, crusty, “have not touched a moisturizer in years” les look. Props to her for skipping plastic surgery (ala Madonna 😵‍💫🤢🤮) but come on…some moisturizer and a little color goes a long way…

Reactions: Jm0513
Very weird. Each time I see the “3 men frozen outside” thread on here I think of the show. Is it only me? Lol
I could have done without the Jodie Foster sex scene.
🤮
No, which is why I was disappointed that nobody picked up on my comment early in that thread. Boards gone to poop. Lol

Reactions: Jm0513
She’s definitely growing into her old, crusty, “have not touched a moisturizer in years” les look. Props to her for skipping plastic surgery (ala Madonna 😵‍💫🤢🤮) but come on…some moisturizer and a little color goes a long way…
I’m sure her husband is ok with that fact😜

I don’t think it’s paranormal. Has something to do with the mine leaks or scientists released some microbe or bacteria drilling that’s making people crazy. Also don’t think they we’re doing climate change research, not with the Tuttle family involved
Interesting take. I'm wondering what that if any connection there will be to the first season beyond given what we have seen.

Interesting take. I'm wondering what that if any connection there will be to the first season beyond given what we have seen.
Only two episodes left with way too many loose ends to tie up

The first season was great. The second season I barely remember.

I couldn’t get through half the first episode.

The only season I ever finished was the first one.

Same with Stranger Things. Each year I try to watch it and I just can’t do it.

Last episode this weekend. Funny enough ep5 was good and was getting to a real story. Took too long though for me.

Wow. She’s 61 and I think she looks fantastic for that age. People have different genetics. I’m 68 and luckily to have very few wrinkles, due to good genetics. Moisturizing creams only go so far. No offense but I don’t get your take. How old are you?

So the guys at the Tsalal station were a bunch of goofy scientists (1st episode), and also a bunch of ravenous murderous thugs who at the drop of a hat participated in or helped the stabbing of a woman over 30 times (early in last episode), and also a bunch of cowering stooges who absolutely immediately started running around like Keystone Cops with no resourcefulness after some women came through a single doorway to attack them. And they did all of these things over destroyed data. And a single-minded, effective, aggressive advocate for the oppressed and poisoned got sidetracked because she fell in love with an unhinged, goofy, gesticulating scientist with dirty greasy hair who cowers and hides in caves. And some people at some points in time may somehow start walking toward the ocean but can be stopped or maybe can't be stopped and sometimes then die or not, and sometimes right next to each other with frozen scary faces. And these marauding fearsome women decide to attack a station full of scientists and not the management of the mine that is poisoning them and their unborn children? And why does this sometimes marauding murderous group of native people only include women when the whole town, or at least all native people, are being poisoned, including men and male children? Do the men not care? And eighteen other things.

I hate when I get to the end of a series and regret having invested my time. At least there was some good acting.

So the guys at the Tsalal station were a bunch of goofy scientists (1st episode), and also a bunch of ravenous murderous thugs who at the drop of a hat participated in or helped the stabbing of a woman over 30 times (early in last episode), and also a bunch of cowering stooges who absolutely immediately started running around like Keystone Cops with no resourcefulness after some women came through a single doorway to attack them. And they did all of these things over destroyed data. And a single-minded, effective, aggressive advocate for the oppressed and poisoned got sidetracked because she fell in love with an unhinged, goofy, gesticulating scientist with dirty greasy hair who cowers and hides in caves. And some people at some points in time may somehow start walking toward the ocean but can be stopped or maybe can't be stopped and sometimes then die or not, and sometimes right next to each other with frozen scary faces. And these marauding fearsome women decide to attack a station full of scientists and not the management of the mine that is poisoning them and their unborn children? And why does this sometimes marauding murderous group of native people only include women when the whole town, or at least all native people, are being poisoned, including men and male children? Do the men not care? And eighteen other things.

I hate when I get to the end of a series and regret having invested my time. At least there was some good acting.
Did you have the slight thought of starting your post with “spoiler alert”? WTF dude

Did you have the slight thought of starting your post with “spoiler alert”? WTF dude
Not really. I'd have thought that someone would have been—let's say—unwise to read a thread about the series without expecting that the thread would reveal details about the series. But, OK, maybe next time. I'm sure you stopped reading when you found out that my post was, well, about the series.

Last edited:
Not really. I'd have thought that someone would have been--let's say, unwise--to read a thread about the series without expecting that the thread would reveal details about the series. But, OK, maybe next time. I'm sure you stopped reading when you found out that my post was, well, about the series.
Lots of talk in regard to the series without needing the spoiler alert- and almost everyone knows, if you are going to give specifics- it should just be 2nd nature to type 2 extra words at the start.

She's a lesbian, isn't she? She's likely not really interested in being a attractive woman. You know the Patriarchy and all that...

Some in movie land have been claiming this was like Lord Of The Flies just not done on an isolated island. It was not great and certainly it could have been done much differently tying up loose ends. Just realized JF has been acting since age 3.

She's a lesbian, isn't she? She's likely not really interested in being an attractive woman. You know the Patriarchy and all that...
Very true about Jodie she is not worrying about finding a lover. Her love vet has always been Hannibal Lecter. “ Hello Cloris…”

Some in movie land have been claiming this was like Lord Of The Flies just not done on an isolated island. It was not great and certainly it could have been done much differently tying up loose ends. Just realized JF has been acting since age 3.
Don't get me wrong. I thought that Jodie Foster and a number of the other actors (John Hawkes) were very good. The story, though . . .

Don't get me wrong. I thought that Jodie Foster and a number of the other actors (John Hawkes) were very good. The story, though . . .
Jodie Foster has ways been a very good actress. No qualms here. Leaving storylines hanging is a Hollywood thing.

Jodie Foster has ways been a very good actress. No qualms here. Leaving storylines hanging is a Hollywood thing.
Acting and story were subpar.

SPOILER:

I read commentary from the director afterwards and she claims that it’s up to you to decide what happens to Navarro at the end or actually if she ever existed or was a figment of the imagination. I mean. WTAF.

Reactions: koleszar
I read commentary from the director afterwards and she claims that it’s up to you to decide what happens to Navarro at the end or actually if she ever existed or was a figment of the imagination. I mean. WTAF.
I hate when directors give you that artsy, well the ending is your point of view bullsh*t. You told the story, tell me what happens. Personally, when I'm done watching I really could give two sh*ts to answer this question on my own. Rather I come away with the director was lazy and the movie/show sucked.

Reactions: LOU-RU85 and Jm0513
My wife and I just finished it 10 minutes ago. I was that guy asking "now what just happened?" every five minutes- I was completely clueless for the entire last episode.

Spoiler alert-

How the heck did Jodie Foster's character fall through the ice? Are we to believe that she was walking on the one unfrozen spot in the dead of Alaska winter? The very next scene the young cop needed a pick ax to get through multiple inches of ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT