ADVERTISEMENT

OT- US OPEN @ Erin Hills, Wisc.

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
My favorite golf tournament. Challenges the best of the best golfers. This course almost 8,000 yards long ! Starts tomorrow morining. Who you got ?

Broadcast schedule :

Start time: 7:45 a.m.

Live TV coverage: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on FS1 | 6-9 p.m. on FOX
TV simulcast online: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on FoxSportsGo.com and Fox Sports Go app

Featured Group 1: 8:45 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Group 2: 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Holes: 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com

Round 2 -- Friday

Start time: 7:45 a.m.

Live TV coverage: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on FS1 | 6-9 p.m. on FOX
TV simulcast online: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on FoxSportsGo.com and Fox Sports Go app

Featured Group 1: 8:45 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com

Featured Group 2: 9:20 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Holes: 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on USOpen.com

Round 3 -- Saturday

Live TV coverage: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on FOX
TV simulcast online: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on FoxSportsGo.com and Fox Sports Go app

Featured Group 1: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Group 2: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Holes: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on USOpen.com

Round 4 -- Sunday

Live TV coverage: 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on FOX
TV simulcast online: 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on FoxSportsGo.com and Fox Sports Go app

Featured Group 1: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Group 2: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on USOpen.com
Featured Holes: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on USOpen.com

Playoff (if necessary) -- Monday

Live TV coverage: 12-4 p.m. on FOX
TV simulcast online: 12-4 p.m. on FoxSportsGo.com and Fox Sports Go app

Reactions: TheRacRU
Hoping for DJ as I have him in my fantasy golf league, but I have a hunch this might be Fowler's first major.

I'll be watching. Absolutely love the Majors, especially the U.S Open. Can Sergio repeat?

hate how they are pushing these rad new courses with no trees and little that's green, for majors.

is money flowing under the table or something.

courses with no trees seem to be being pushed hard by the golf powers that be.

what a terrible trend.

what's really frustrating, is that Erin Hills is surround by wooded ares, while it is baron.

i've noticed other big money courses with zero or almost no trees being built.

while the land surrounding the courses is heavily wooded.

wtf. i want trees, lots of trees, on my golf courses.

Last edited:
hate how they are pushing these rad new courses with no trees and little that's green, for majors.

is money flowing under the table or something.

courses with no trees seem to be being pushed hard by the golf powers that be.

what a terrible trend.

what's really frustrating, is that Erin Hills is surround by wooded ares, while it is baron.

i've noticed other big money courses with zero or almost no trees being built.

while the land surrounding the courses is heavily wooded.

wtf. i want trees, lots of trees, on my golf courses.

It's called links golf, more environmentally friendly and less maintenance.

Reactions: RU Golfer
Technically I don't think many would call Erin Hills a links course but it certainly has many of the elements. The biggest thing with Erin Hills is that they wanted the course to reflect the landscape as it was carved by the glaciers. At a minimum it is links like!!

I was watching a special on Erin Hills the other night and the architects on it were saying the movement is against tree lined courses. The wide open courses are much more scenic and bring in the wind that really changes how a course plays. I play a links course, right across from the ocean, and the wind has a huge effect. On 1 particular par 3 I can play from PW to 6 iron depending on the wind.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Was really hoping this thread would be pics of a hot Wisconsin golfer named Erin Hills.
#dissapoint

Reactions: TheRacRU
60 Yard wide fairways, greens the size of ponds....this may have the USGA logo on it but this ain't no US Open. Fowler, breezing along, heading for a 65, pars are easy, birdies are out there...just like every week on tour. God, I can't wait until Mike Davis leaves the USGA, he's ruining this tournament.

60 Yard wide fairways, greens the size of ponds....this may have the USGA logo on it but this ain't no US Open. Fowler, breezing along, heading for a 65, pars are easy, birdies are out there...just like every week on tour. God, I can't wait until Mike Davis leaves the USGA, he's ruining this tournament.
No trees = poor visual perspective for TV viewing. But don't go overboard with US Open history...Shinnecock and Kiawah have zero trees

No trees = poor visual perspective for TV viewing. But don't go overboard with US Open history...Shinnecock and Kiawah have zero trees

nobody's clamoring to watch golf at Shinnecock Kiawah either.

there's a reason everybody loves Augusta more than any other course.

the USGA and PGA don't seem to be picking up on it though.

links courses have no trees, because there are no trees. not because it makes for a great golf course.

when you build a course on land that has no trees, when you have wooded land all around, is just insane.

When I saw the length of Erin Hills I thought players like DJ and Rahm would be licking their chops. Both had pretty poor 1st rounds. Last I heard DJ was in 93rd and Rahm even further back.

nobody's clamoring to watch golf at Shinnecock Kiawah either.

there's a reason everybody loves Augusta more than any other course.

the USGA and PGA don't seem to be picking up on it though.

links courses have no trees, because there are no trees. not because it makes for a great golf course.

when you build a course on land that has no trees, when you have wooded land all around, is just insane.

I get it, you like trees.

Shinnecock Hills gets the US Open next year.

that will be 3 straight yrs of US Opens on a course with no trees.

beyond ridiculous.

if you have a piece of land with no trees, a treeless course is infinitely better than no course at all.

but courses with trees are much better for golf, (and viewing golf), than treeless courses, and the USGA has a zillion great courses to pick from.

idiots.

I prefer more traditional courses with trees for playing and watching. Having said that, I love watching this Open and every US Open. I am kind of surprised at the low scores because the powers that be seem to want the winner around par or a bit under but this looks like it'll be 10-20 under possibly.

True, but Fowler teed off early today when there was little wind. Different conditions this afternoon.

I like seeing new courses in the majors. How many times do we want to see the same courses over again ?

Newer is better, in many parts of life IMO.

that will be 3 straight yrs of US Opens on a course with no trees.

beyond ridiculous.

if you have a piece of land with no trees, a treeless course is infinitely better than no course at all.

but courses with trees are much better for golf, (and viewing golf), than treeless courses, and the USGA has a zillion great courses to pick from.

idiots.
Beside Scotland which invented golf most of the classic Open courses were they same at their begining. Pinehurst and Oakmont went back to original design.
You are all a bunch of tree huggers! :weary:

This course is a Effen joke, to compare it to Shinnecock is a total disservice. Hope they never play here again. By the way, the USGA sucks.

Reactions: PaKnight
The defense of the course is the relatively small areas of rough(even though the fw are wider) and the wind. The wind was very light today, especially in the earlier rounds. It's supposed to pick up substantially this weekend. Once that happens, I think we will see scores closer to even.

Augusta is unique and it's my favorite tournament, but I am glad there aren't a lot of courses like it. I think Erin Hills is awesome to see played. I hope it's a regular for the U.S. Open.

The defense of the course is the relatively small areas of rough(even though the fw are wider) and the wind. The wind was very light today, especially in the earlier rounds. It's supposed to pick up substantially this weekend. Once that happens, I think we will see scores closer to even.

Augusta is unique and it's my favorite tournament, but I am glad there aren't a lot of courses like it. I think Erin Hills is awesome to see played. I hope it's a regular for the U.S. Open.

I had the good fortune to go to The Masters the first time Bubba won it. It's a time machine. That course is a monster. TV doesn't do it justice.

Funnily enough I was around the green on 1 when Sergio was blowing up on Saturday. He said he didn't think he would ever win a major after that tournament.

I'm not hardcore golf fan so I really don't know the ramifications of tighter fairways and tall trees. My assumption is that they make the course tougher and Pars are the order of the day. Is it possible that the golfers prefer the easier courses?

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit: The top 10 ranked PGA golfers are a combined + 17 after round 1. The top 10 amatures are a combined +16.

The U.S. Open on Fox. The only sporting event I watch with the sound off. Joe Buck is just to painful to listen to. Listening to him for football and baseball is bad enough but this putz should not have anything to do with golf. He has no feel for the game and says the wrong things at the wrong time. I don't turn the sound up for Holly Sonders either but it's because I can't pay attention to what she is saying anyway

I'm not hardcore golf fan so I really don't know the ramifications of tighter fairways and tall trees. My assumption is that they make course tougher. Is it possible that the golfers prefer the easier courses?
No question they do, but that's not what the US open is about. In the end, you could play the US Open at a muni with five bunkers across the whole course and someone would walk away as US Open champion. But to me, a true US Open Champion is a guy who survives a brutal test of golf, particularly off the tee where the thick rough and tight driving corridors make the field feel extremely uncomfortable on nearly every tee shot. 60 yard wide fairways? You don't have to be perfect to find fairways, you just can't miss big which at that level, is a huge distinction.

In Scotland, links courses feature wide corridors of play, framed by fescue that take in only truly errant shots. The corridors are wide in large part because wind is almost always present and a lot of the time, it is positively blowing off the sea. There courses are almost all right on the water because the land next to the sea is largely infertile, making it cheap and prime for course development.

Here, with a much bigger population and water side land at premium values, most of our courses were built inland. Because wind is much less a factor, a different style course called parkland was developed and the primary difference is fairway width and rough, not the full blown fescue of Scotland, just thick but semi- playable grass, much tighter around the playing corridor.

I think we should play our national championship on our style golf course. Where, whether there is wind or no wind, the players are going to have a tough test.
The problem with Erin Hills is the wind is not nearly as guaranteed as it is seaside...so another benign day today is coming and someone will reach 10 under par unless they went out and stripped the greens to crazy speeds or have pins tucked in mickey mouse places....guess we'll see. Knowing the USGA, I bet the pins will be ridiculous...

Someone just told me that Dana Fry, designer of Erin Hills, also designed NJ courses Neshanic Valley and Hamilton Farms. I have played both and I believe that they are great tracks, especially Hamilton Farms in Bedminster, once owned by Lucent.

WIth Tiger and Phil not in this tournament, I see a no name player winning this tournament.

I played this course 2 years ago and I have never seen a course with some many blind shots due to the up and down landscape. Its beautiful but unique. The long hitters may not benefit as much as people think because they are hitting longer into an area they may not be able to see.

Wondering if Paul Casey has motion sickness given the first 13 hole rollercoaster ride today.

Started at -6, two bad holes dropped him down to -2, and now back up to -7 and tied for the lead after 13.

It's a great course to watch on TV. Lotta good players struggling. Think Phil could have done well on this course. Perfectly fine US Open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT