ADVERTISEMENT

Our Blueprint for The Future - Retting NEEDS to Play next week!

BuggsyRU

All American
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2007
I have been one Flood's BIGGEST supporters the last 10 days or so....but I'm starting to get those same feelings of anger for not replacing his starting QB that I got after the Nova Kent State game and the Nova disaster against Va Tech, where a QB change was needed but never happened.

I want to see Rutgers succeed, and maybe that doesn't result in a bowl game this year, so success needs to be re-defined.

I hope Muller is OK....as he will be very important to us....but it was great to see Applefield in there getting reps against a great D-line. I saw Cole in their as well....and that is also a good sign for next year.

I liked that Agudosi had some solid receptions....since he'll be needed the rest of this year, and especially next year. We need to get Grant and Patton more involved. These three guys are going to be the core receivers this year and next.

I want Rettig to be the QB of the future. He has the tools to get it done. Laviano does not.

Next week's game against Kansas could give Rettig the opportunity to get him playing against a team he
can have success with, which could give him the confidence he needs to be THE GUY for not only this year, but for the 2016 and 2017 as well.

I really hope that through our play this season, we are setting ourselves up for next year when we will have a much more manageable schedule, and better chance for reaching the post season.

If we're going to lose, let it be because our best players are simply too inexperienced to win right now....not because our bet players are sitting on the bench.

I know it sounds like I'm giving up on this season, but all I'm saying, is that even if we have a bad year this year, if we use it constructively to get the guys that will be playing major roles next year the experience they need....there is no reason why we wouldn't be a able to rebound from a poor season. There's no reason to believe our entire program is going in the wrong direction just because we have a bad year.'

Let's get Rettig in there, get him experience, along with the young offensive and defensive linemen that are our future, let's continue to develop Hicks and Martin, our two stud running backs. Let's further develop Flanagan and our other young tight ends....and let's let a season of experience play out for our newbie defensive backs....so next year, they will be prepared (unlike this year) for the competition.

I am a bonafide positive thinker....and while I don't see much success happening this year....I do see an opportunity to get our inexperienced players the playing time and experience they need to win in the future.

Even though we didn't look great last night, even down 21-3 in the third, we were close to making it 21-10, which as Millen pointed, would still make it a game.

We will struggle this year, no doubt, but if we struggle while getting better and more experienced, at least it will put us in a position to rebound for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT