ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy - high school stats

not saying he did or he didn't, but I coach at the high school level and its easy to pad stats because you enter it into the nj.com system and no one is really going to challenge you on it. I know coaches that add at least 3 or 4 rebounds and assists to the box score..Points is hard to fake because each team has the book and it needs to add up, but half the teams don't even keep assists and rebounds on nj.com like our team. The difference for Paul is a lot of his games were covered by nj.com so the writers would be able to challenge or do their own box score so its probably legit or at least close to legit.

When I was on JV, I unexpectedly had to keep the book for Varsity for one game.

Oh god what a disaster that was.
Luckily we didn’t have any high level recruits.

Thank you Greene for derailing the conversion with your negativity... So back to the original discussion. Can anyone find how many other NJ high school players have averaged a triple double? It seems like a rare accomplishment.
I am sure that coaches track stats for college bound players ... sure only a handful do each year.

In Greenie’s defense there is no official/consistent way that most NJ HSs keep rebound, assist, steal, ... stats. It’s often student volunteers (some with limited hoops knowledge, some are friends/gf of a player, some are excellent, and some teams don’t have any at all). That being said PM has to be a stat machine for this claim to be getting attention.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
When have I knocked him or bashed him?

I have not said any where he wasnt a B1G player. I have not said anywhere that we shouldn't have recruited him. I have not said anywhere that I am unhappy he is here.
With all due respect, you have been critical and cynical of PM at times. In posts I remember, you questioned at times why other schools did not recruit him. You questioned his ability to be the primary PG. In due time, you may be right but kindly just appreciate we have a local kid who stayed home and a coaching staff that is very very high on him. In closing, you’re a great fan , a great poster and i always enjoy reading your posts but you have come across as anti and or cynical PM for whatever reason. More to follow later I’m sure in about 9 months. Lol

I get trying to temper expectations for Mulcahy, and that getting hopes up that he's some sort of savior is unhealthy for fans to do. Like Young, he's yet to suit up in scarlet, and putting the success of the team on his shoulders is way way premature.

BUT, the kid just picked up a ton of accolades for having a great, historic high school season - and that should be celebrated. It probably isn't the thread to crap on that. It's like if a player got all-state or state POY, and responding with "it was a weak year this year" or something.

I can see arguing that HS success won't necessarily translate to the next level - but downplaying one of our recruit's HS success is doing him a disservice.

To be fair, GRF's post did anything but knock Mulcahy--he said HS numbers are often padded for superstars, so he regards Mulcahy as a superstar. Focus on that part of his post--you think Westbrook's numbers are not padded by home cooking in OKC?
TL

I said nothing about his HS success. Success is not defined by statistics.

Success is defined in all kinds of ways. He has said in interviews that averaging a triple double one was of his goals early on in HS, and he was successful in that his senior year.

If you don't want to call it success, call it performance, or production or whatever. It's all positive - positive for him, for his school, for Rutgers by association in the press. Honestly, no idea why the reaction to positive press would be to cast aspersions on his coach.

I for one are so happy that Paul will be playing at RU. A few SHU guys downplayed his signing with RU a few months ago. They actually inferred that he was not really very good. Somehow I think that was sour grapes.

If you shot 71 and gave yourself a few 3 foot putts it would be a great round. I'd have a tough time staying silent if others were telling everyone you shot 1 under.

Maybe that is my problem.

We did just go through this with Harper though. Both he and Mulcahy aren't Mathis type explosive athletes. They both have high bball IQs and see the floor well and just understand how to play the game. Paul's court vision and understanding of the game will make it an easier transition than people think. It's more important than obsessing about lateral quickness. Paul looked to hold his own against Scottie Lewis who is an elite level athlete so I don't think he's going to struggle defensively as much as some might think either

55803472_2033585256768591_4230269304517427200_o.jpg

We did just go through this with Harper though. Both he and Mulcahy aren't Mathis type explosive athletes. They both have high bball IQs and see the floor well and just understand how to play the game. Paul's court vision and understanding of the game will make it an easier transition than people think. It's more important than obsessing about lateral quickness. Paul looked to hold his own against Scottie Lewis who is an elite level athlete so I don't think he's going to struggle defensively as much as some might think either
I think harper can be explosive like Mathis..I just think in high school he was growing into his own body. Some of the things he did when he got into a rhythm in the last half of the year made every other player on the court look slow.

Since we are are talking stats....the stats favored Scottie Lewis when they were matched up....Scottie Lewis had 18, so, how good was the defense if they matched head to head?

I was at that game. Paul was double teamed all day. They were not head to head. He hardly took any shots and still had double figures and had many assists. Lewis missed quite a few shots and Gill won the game held at Kean. Everyone by me thought Paul was the best player on the floor that day.

Setting aside any argument about their validity, I’d be interested in his stats for 3-pt and FT shooting percentage.

Free throws in particular. If he shot 70% or higher it would give me confidence that he’ll eventually be able to extend his range.

I went back and checked my stats on that game as I kept stats on Paul because he was coming to RU.. Paul was 4-7 on fg's and 5-6 on foul shots for 13 points. He also had 7 rebounds and 8 assists. Lewis had 6 field goals and 6 foul shots and most of his field goals were layups. He had no threes and took over 15 fg attempts. He had no where near 8 assists and Ranney lost the game when they had two players on their team rated in the Top 13 of the entire country. Antoine only scored 9 points and 7 were in the 4th quarter. Points in a game are only one statistic. Everytime the ball went to Paul he was doubled as Ranney obviously felt if they stopped him they would stop Gill. It backfired on Ranney.

I was at that game. Paul was double teamed all day. They were not head to head. He hardly took any shots and still had double figures and had many assists. Lewis missed quite a few shots and Gill won the game held at Kean. Everyone by me thought Paul was the best player on the floor that day.

making excuses is not the way to.approach this issue. You said the same thing about his RC game...double teamed.

I was not at the game but there are a lot of film out there on those games and I did not see him being double-teamed. Unless you are calling normal team.defense.as being double teamed.

I think some people are definitely going to eat some crow midway through the season. I think he is gonna average 20 mins a game and be a great contributor

RU Choppin, You call yourself a Rutgers fan. Obviously you are not if you keep ripping Paul Mulcahy. I have been a fan since 1971 and have seen Paul play 12 times over the last 3 years. Ranney was nothing until they started buying houses and renting them to families of outstanding basketball players. Lewis and Antoine were not originally from New Jersey. Teams that follow these tactics should not even be allowed in the NJSIAA. I coached track & cross country at a public school in NJ for 40 years and am in the State Coaches Hall of Fame. I have loved high school basketball & college basketball for over 60 years. I keep score at many games I attend. Hawk who posts on this site sat with me at the Ranney-Gill game. I was there and I know Paul was double teamed. That is why he only took 7 shots from the floor. I am not making excuses. You were not there so you don't know.

RU Choppin, You call yourself a Rutgers fan. Obviously you are not if you keep ripping Paul Mulcahy. I have been a fan since 1971 and have seen Paul play 12 times over the last 3 years. Ranney was nothing until they started buying houses and renting them to families of outstanding basketball players. Lewis and Antoine were not originally from New Jersey. Teams that follow these tactics should not even be allowed in the NJSIAA. I coached track & cross country at a public school in NJ for 40 years and am in the State Coaches Hall of Fame. I have loved high school basketball & college basketball for over 60 years. I keep score at many games I attend. Hawk who posts on this site sat with me at the Ranney-Gill game. I was there and I know Paul was double teamed. That is why he only took 7 shots from the floor. I am not making excuses. You were not there so you don't know.

I like being realistic and take a wait and see approach with 135 ranked recruits. That's the kind of Fan I am.

You can throw everything that you saw in HS out the window. Instead of playing against a team with Zero, 1 or even 2 D1 athletes he will be playing against teams with a full roster of D1 players and they play swarming team defense with 6'10 Bigs at the rim.waiting.

You can't make excuses when another defender comes over to help and cry that he was double teamed. It's called great team defense.

Last edited:

I am not RU-Choppin-Ohio.... if you're gonna shorten his name, please go for Choppin Ohio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT