ADVERTISEMENT

Per Politi: No fans this year for Giants/Jets/Rutgers (RU - 500 max for coaches / players family)

There are currently 31 states on the NJ quarantine list. 6 of them are B1G opponent states... Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio, & Wisconsin. If this continues, how does it effect our ability to play football?
The Gov made an exception for that! You know, because traveling in a bus or a plane to/from a covid-19 hotspot to play a game is deemed "essential travel," and a lot safer than have 1,000 or even 5,000 fans in an outdoor stadium designed to hold around 55,000.:Wink:

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...coronavirus-travel-quarantine-guidelines.html

Rutgers football coaches and players, as well as their Big Ten rivals, would be exempt from New Jersey’s quarantine guidelines if they travel to or from states that have become hotspots for the novel coronavirus.
Gov. Phil Murphy confirmed college sports teams would be covered under the same essential travel exemptions as the Giants and Jets when asked by NJ Advance Media’s Brent Johnson.

Reactions: rurichdog
Yup! Totally without merit. Murphy has asked the state to mask up and socially distance. We as a state have complied and now have one of the lowest rates of COVID in the U.S. If Rutgers asked fans to sit every third seat I do think fans would comply. But since it is not up to me, We will all be watching games on BTN.
:ThumbsUp

No one is forcing you to go to a gym brah. I dont want to see you at the beach or grocery store either. You want to live in a bubble do so. There is a risk in everything. Businesses are shuttered for good. Ive been told wearing masks can bring spread to a low number. Gyms should thus be open.

Stop making political posts or you will be reported. This has zero to do with Fox. Gyms are open in 47 states.

Brah? Is that supposed to be cute or funny?

When do people become responsible for what they eat and how much they weigh? How about what chioices they make to buy stuff and save for a rainy day or retirement? It is ridiculous to think that the government has to be responsible for making choices for individuals. The ogvernment is the worst possible option when it comes to making choices individuals should be responsible for themselves!

People can eat and drink themselves into oblivion but that wont affect the health of me, my family, my friends and all those susceptible. Covid can and will spread like wild fire if given the chance. Check FL, CA, AZ, etc and the rising numbers in the USA.

Is this a serious question? Those stores have far, far less population density than a football game would. If you're talking gyms vs. stores, gyms feature far more risk (for the same spacing relative to stores) given heavy breathing/grunting from exercise. As I said, I think they could figure out ways to make gyms safe to reopen.

Gym are making their plans to reopen once given the green light and for a good percentage (at least at my gym) I figure many will not go back under their current proposals (they are guessing at the future restrictions). At least when they open up, Covid will now force people exercising to be more considerate as they won't be able to cough into open air (due to the mask) and will be required to wipe their machines down, which an overwhelmingly large percentage don't do.

The Gov made an exception for that! You know, because traveling in a bus or a plane to/from a covid-19 hotspot to play a game is deemed "essential travel," and a lot safer than have 1,000 or even 5,000 fans in an outdoor stadium designed to hold around 55,000.:Wink:

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...coronavirus-travel-quarantine-guidelines.html

Rutgers football coaches and players, as well as their Big Ten rivals, would be exempt from New Jersey’s quarantine guidelines if they travel to or from states that have become hotspots for the novel coronavirus.
Gov. Phil Murphy confirmed college sports teams would be covered under the same essential travel exemptions as the Giants and Jets when asked by NJ Advance Media’s Brent Johnson.
I thought you were kidding at first. LOL

But here we are...."This is very BAD, do this though and were okay." LOL

I would disagree that his actions "caused many nursing home deaths"

You're joking, right??

On March 31, Judith Persichilli issued a directive to long-term facilities that required them to accept residents discharged from hospitals that the hospital physician deemed to be medically stable. It said nursing homes couldn’t deny a person admission or readmission solely based on a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 and couldn’t test them for the virus. She didn't start testing patients and employees of LTC facilities until May 12. She didn't start mandating that LTC facilities be able to cohort patients until May 12th. Murphy followed his leader Cuomo and together the 2 of them helped cause thousands of LTC deaths. Cuomo even admitted he made a mistake...Murphy's ego is too big to admit his mistake.

https://www.nj.gov/health/healthfac...es_andAdmissions_toPost-AcuteCareSettings.pdf

Last edited:
I'm not a Murphy hater but are you are saying you are fine with his actions that caused many nursing home deaths? Sounds like it.
I would disagree that his actions "caused many nursing home deaths"

With hospitals and ICUs at max capacity, decisions needed to be made to treat and accomodate those as best as possible. Notice I didnt say the best care, because at its peak, the best care was typically not available inside or outside the hospital. Given the circumstances, it was not unreasonable to send patients to nursing homes. What were the alternatives? Many nursing home patients could have stayed for a short time in the hospital but could have (and may have) been subject to treatment of care being stopped in favor of allocating the resources towards younger, healthier, and/or those with a higher percentage chance of surviving. I realize these points may sound harsh and more elderly probably died because of this, but these are the decisions hospitals needed to make to limit death counts as best as they could. If you want to talk about PPE and staffing, that is another story. And it's one which affected hospitals, subacute, and tertiary facilities across the board as well.

Quite frankly, there is no logic to the inconsistency in which these gathering rules are administered.

Either there are plans in the works to close the beaches for the remainder of the year or the state is simply choosing based on non-medical reasoning what gets to open.

As for gyms, forget about it. They're done in this state. Come spring 2021 80%+ of standalone gyms and fitness centers will be permanently closed, even if they do open in a couple months under some limiting guidelines. Not enough people will go for them to remain viable business ventures.

Quite frankly, there is no logic to the inconsistency in which these gathering rules are administered.

Either there are plans in the works to close the beaches for the remainder of the year or the state is simply choosing based on non-medical reasoning what gets to open.

As for gyms, forget about it. They're done in this state. Come spring 2021 80%+ of standalone gyms and fitness centers will be permanently closed, even if they do open in a couple months under some limiting guidelines. Not enough people will go for them to remain viable business ventures.

The irony of closing gyms-- people who work out generally are in shape, note obese and probably have a much lower incidence of diabetes. Diabetes and obesity are two major co-morbidities of Covid-19. It was especially nice when the Gov. closed the state parks (hiking and biking trails) early in the pandemic, forcing more people onto streets and sidewalks (where social distancing is not possible because they are not 6 feet wide). Again, no rhyme or reason to a lot of what has been done.

The link I posted above making B1G and NFL travel to/from quarantine/high Covid-19 states "essential travel" is really idiotic. What kind of message does that send? That football games are more essential than other activities?

The irony of closing gyms-- people who work out generally are in shape, note obese and probably have a much lower incidence of diabetes. Diabetes and obesity are two major co-morbidities of Covid-19. It was especially nice when the Gov. closed the state parks (hiking and biking trails) early in the pandemic, forcing more people onto streets and sidewalks (where social distancing is not possible because they are not 6 feet wide). Again, no rhyme or reason to a lot of what has been done.

The link I posted above making B1G and NFL travel to/from quarantine/high Covid-19 states "essential travel" is really idiotic. What kind of message does that send? That football games are more essential than other activities?
While it's certainly true that there are inconsistencies in the details of NJ's handling of COVID-19 (just as surely there are similar inconsistencies in such details in all other states where the virus has been problematic), I would point out that, if one judges the results alone (the rapid and sharp drop in infections and deaths and the persistence of those hard-won low numbers), NJ is doing pretty well and may actually represent one of the best state performances.

Considering that NJ was one of two states absolutely crushed by the earliest impacts of the virus in the United States, and was therefore dealing with it at a time when the entire nation was wholly unprepared in many ways (as opposed to those states being impacted more recently who've had months to prepare and are able to take advantage of increased manufacturing and availability of critical things unavailable to NJ or NY early on), I think the overall handling has been pretty good.

Could it have been better? Absolutely. What similar situation is ever handled perfectly by anyone?

Could anybody posting in this thread have actually done better, when placed in the exact situation at the time, instead of viewing things from the cheap-seats using hindsight? Debatable. I'd guess that we'd all have made, if not the same mistakes, others of similar magnitude.

Could it have been better? Absolutely. What similar situation is ever handled perfectly by anyone?

Could anybody posting in this thread have actually done better, when placed in the exact situation at the time, instead of viewing things from the cheap-seats using hindsight? Debatable. I'd guess that we'd all have made, if not the same mistakes, others of similar magnitude.
Your actions killed someone?

Reactions: Knight Shift
in late March when these decisions about nursing homes were being made, it was well known that the Wuhan virus was killing the elderly. Around the same time, the CDC had published a report on the Washington State nursing home deaths.

if anything, officials should have been MORE CAREFUL about spreading Wuhan to nursing homes... but Andrew Cuomo's mom was not in a nursing home.. so what did he care? And Murphy just followed his lead. And there was opposition to this decision from the nursing home business.. I'm sorry.. "we didn't know" is not a valid excuse because THEY KNEW.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDead and MrsScrew

Agreed.
I would add that this statement applies to ALL levels of government.

Reactions: mildone
While it's certainly true that there are inconsistencies in the details of NJ's handling of COVID-19 (just as surely there are similar inconsistencies in such details in all other states where the virus has been problematic), I would point out that, if one judges the results alone (the rapid and sharp drop in infections and deaths and the persistence of those hard-won low numbers), NJ is doing pretty well and may actually represent one of the best state performances.

Considering that NJ was one of two states absolutely crushed by the earliest impacts of the virus in the United States, and was therefore dealing with it at a time when the entire nation was wholly unprepared in many ways (as opposed to those states being impacted more recently who've had months to prepare and are able to take advantage of increased manufacturing and availability of critical things unavailable to NJ or NY early on), I think the overall handling has been pretty good.

I would nominate @e5fdny and anyone else with incident command experience as candidates who could do better.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Yes, there are idiotic policies in states such as Arizona where nobody wants to mandate wearing masks and they are paying for it now. A problem with inconsistent and illogical policies by Murphy is it gives "the other side" ammo to completely discount the fine work and/or results that were achieved in several areas. And Murphy does deserve credit for some good work. The nursing home/long term care facility issue coupled with a lot of arbitrary and inconsistent policies erase much of the goodwill he could have built up.

‘My Gym has been open for the last 3 weeks.
I just need to make an Appointment upfront as they control the amount people in the Gym.

Last edited:
I would nominate @e5fdny and anyone else with incident command experience as candidates who could do better.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Yes, there are idiotic policies in states such as Arizona where nobody wants to mandate wearing masks and they are paying for it now. A problem with inconsistent and illogical policies by Murphy is it gives "the other side" ammo to completely discount the fine work and/or results that were achieved in several areas. And Murphy does deserve credit for some good work. The nursing home/long term care facility issue coupled with a lot of arbitrary and inconsistent policies erase much of the goodwill he could have built up.
Arizona has similar stats to New Jersey in many categories. Their deaths per 100K is like 25% of New Jerseys.. but will likely catch up a bit. That site I linked has some test data but they do not break it down along the same lines as they do covid cases and deaths.. and they should. If they want to tell us cases in last seven days by state.. then tell us TESTS in last seven days by state... otherwise, test less and your numbers drop.

While I suppose it could be argued that they should have learned from us and did better I think anyone ridiculing Arizona or anywhere else should at least provide the stats and account for that in their comments.

Reactions: bac2therac
Your actions killed someone?
Not sure if you're joking around here, but I'll answer it seriously.

First, I wasn't talking about my actions in the past. I was talking about any of us and our actions if placed in the exact same position the governor of NJ was in when this all blew up. He, like any of us in his shoes, faced a number of very difficult choices, some with no perfect outcomes.

Second, speaking of imperfect outcomes, we're talking about a triage situation in which some people were going to be dying regardless of what the president or any governor, or any medical practitioner did.

With respect to COVID-19, the president and the governors of all the various states made mistakes, are making mistakes, and will probably continue to make some mistakes. Some mistakes worse than others. I wrote a post that didn't attempt to apportion blame, but rather pointed out that such situations are rarely mistake free for the people in charge.

For some states, who are just dealing with COVID-19 surges recently, it's a bit harder to explain away such mistakes because they have had ample time to prepare and to learn from others mistakes.

But NJ and NY had virtually no time at all to prepare, had to cope with national shortages of some much-needed equipment, and were faced with a virus for which there was a near complete lack of concrete understanding. A virus we're apparently not very close to done learning about today, several months after NJ and NY were faced with making decisions in the midst of a crisis.

To claim that their actions killed people might be factually true, but is also a gross oversimplification. Yes, people died. Yes, people made mistakes - and not just politicians whom people love to blame. That happens in any crisis of the magnitude they faced.

If we're smart, we'll learn from it. Because this won't be the last deadly virus we face.

If we're smart, we'll learn from it. Because this won't be the last deadly virus we face.
Politicians learn?
JollyMeagerBarasinga-size_restricted.gif

First, I wasn't talking about my actions in the past. I was talking about any of us and our actions if placed in the exact same position the governor of NJ was in when this all blew up. He, like any of us in his shoes, faced a number of very difficult choices, some with no perfect outcomes.

Second, speaking of imperfect outcomes, we're talking about a triage situation in which some people were going to be dying regardless of what the president or any governor, or any medical practitioner did.

With respect to COVID-19, the president and the governors of all the various states made mistakes, are making mistakes, and will probably continue to make some mistakes. Some mistakes worse than others. I wrote a post that didn't attempt to apportion blame, but rather pointed out that such situations are rarely mistake free for the people in charge.

For some states, who are just dealing with COVID-19 surges recently, it's a bit harder to explain away such mistakes because they have had ample time to prepare and to learn from others mistakes.

But NJ and NY had virtually no time at all to prepare, had to cope with national shortages of some much-needed equipment, and were faced with a virus for which there was a near complete lack of concrete understanding. A virus we're apparently not very close to done learning about today, several months after NJ and NY were faced with making decisions in the midst of a crisis.

To claim that their actions killed people might be factually true, but is also a gross oversimplification. Yes, people died. Yes, people made mistakes - and not just politicians whom people love to blame. That happens in any crisis of the magnitude they faced.

Hmmm. Is that one of those truth over facts things?

We mounted a pullup bar to our garage ceiling (for height) and gymnast rings in the basement to go with our free weights and Powertec gym. Never going back to a gym. No waiting, no worries about cleanliness or covid.
And no “view”, sorry I’m going back as soon as possible. LOL

SO IF YOUR SON WAS PLAYING, you would turn it down, because it was unscientific?
If my son was playing, I'd say "we can safely fit more than 500 people in this 54,000 seat stadium, Governor Murphy!". You're presenting the false choice of 500 or 0. Look upthread, what was the courtesy extended by our elected governmental betters at Monmouth Park? All those jockeys and stall scrapers had family in the stands?

You're joking, right??

On March 31, Judith Persichilli issued a directive to long-term facilities that required them to accept residents discharged from hospitals that the hospital physician deemed to be medically stable. It said nursing homes couldn’t deny a person admission or readmission solely based on a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19 and couldn’t test them for the virus. She didn't start testing patients and employees of LTC facilities until May 12. She didn't start mandating that LTC facilities be able to cohort patients until May 12th. Murphy followed his leader Cuomo and together the 2 of them helped cause thousands of LTC deaths. Cuomo even admitted he made a mistake...Murphy's ego is too big to admit his mistake.

https://www.nj.gov/health/healthfac...es_andAdmissions_toPost-AcuteCareSettings.pdf

People in nursing homes can't be shipped off to facilities unable to accommodate them.

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT