ADVERTISEMENT

Performance at RAC

5 RAC losses

Just 5-4 at home in Big 10 play

4 RAC losses where Rutgers had no legit 2nd half run in any of them . No one possession games at all. Very disconcerting that they repeatedly couldnt raise their level of play up
Lack of offensive weapons will do that. Offense wins games. Period. NW hit shots. Huskers hit shots. Michigan hit big shots. Tonight, we played good enough D to win.

5 RAC losses

Just 5-4 at home in Big 10 play

4 RAC losses where Rutgers had no legit 2nd half run in any of them . No one possession games at all. Very disconcerting that they repeatedly couldnt raise their level of play up
We can’t score. The D was fine for runs in these games. We had no offensive spark to make a run. That should change next year.

Fans need to pick a lane on the highway and stay in your lane.

A) You can't pound the table demanding that every recruit is walking in the door as an immediate impact player and at the same time mention the lack of runs at the RAC. Even when the defense is in place, there's no footspeed to get easy baskets.

B) You can't complain about the coaching and running an offense, when almost all of the players are not able to generate their own offense or make plays off the dribble. Asking a slower, plodding personnel group to cut and out-scheme better athletes and equal coaching, isn't a recipe for sustainable success.

C) You can't ask for player development to be your standard and then have key players developed and then not step forward into key roles, without showing consistency. The staff invested and rolled the dice that it could work out, but the rest of the B1G figured out what we can and can't do.

We developed Mag, Mulcahy and Caleb behind front line players during the rebuild, when games were not life or death 5 to 6 years ago. Asking for player development requires scorers who can make individual plays.

I'm fairly certain the roster will be retooled in the next 2 to 3 months. What it ultimate looks like, once you mix in the 3 2023 frosh, is going to be interesting. I'm going to avoid overreacting to 2022-23 based on the roster.

Fans need to pick a lane on the highway and stay in your lane.

A) You can't pound the table demanding that every recruit is walking in the door as an immediate impact player and at the same time mention the lack of runs at the RAC. Even when the defense is in place, there's no footspeed to get easy baskets.

B) You can't complain about the coaching and running an offense, when almost all of the players are not able to generate their own offense or make plays off the dribble. Asking a slower, plodding personnel group to cut and out-scheme better athletes and equal coaching, isn't a recipe for sustainable success.

C) You can't ask for player development to be your standard and then have key players developed and then not step forward into key roles, without showing consistency. The staff invested and rolled the dice that it could work out, but the rest of the B1G figured out what we can and can't do.

We developed Mag, Mulcahy and Caleb behind front line players during the rebuild, when games were not life or death 5 to 6 years ago. Asking for player development requires scorers who can make individual plays.

I'm fairly certain the roster will be retooled in the next 2 to 3 months. What it ultimate looks like, once you mix in the 3 2023 frosh, is going to be interesting. I'm going to avoid overreacting to 2022-23 based on the roster.
tell me is responsible for recruiting and 5-6 misses

Its simpler than were making it. The team overachieved this year. The lack of talent was eye popping coming into the year.
go away gtfo GIF

even shitty Rutgers teams at the rac elevated their game during bannon, waters, rice, hill and even jordan

shooting total blanks and not putting up a fight for 4 out of 5 games....not good at all.
I wasn't around until Hill year 2 but his teams sucked everywhere. Rice actually had a couple of decent teams; guy would've been a success if not for his, you know, personality issues. Don't remember Jordan teams doing anything interesting anywhere either.

I wasn't around until Hill year 2 but his teams sucked everywhere. Rice actually had a couple of decent teams; guy would've been a success if not for his, you know, personality issues. Don't remember Jordan teams doing anything interesting anywhere either.
even they beat Wisconsin but the point is that they only team RU beat of late was Minnesota and they rubbed it in too. These 4 losses were not good at all in any way. No fight,

Reactions: biazza38
what fight tonight, 2nd half wasnt close, a feeble run to get it to what 3 or 4...we did that vs Iowa too. We were thumped tonight, not even close to a game
They tried. They just failed. You can't actually will the ball into the basket.

even they beat Wisconsin but the point is that they only team RU beat of late was Minnesota and they rubbed it in too. These 4 losses were not good at all in any way. No fight,
It's been a bad stretch for sure. Under Hill or Jordan we'd have been pleasantly surprised to lose by less than 20.

(An exaggeration.. kinda)

I blame the Football Recruits.... (just figured I'd throw that in there to stir the pot lol...).

There was nothing the crowd could do tonight to get this team going. The play just absolutely destroyed the vibe.
Even the refs tried a couple of times with some blatant misses (the three step layup, the guy running over Oskar, and finally that Cliff foul 35 feet away from the basket). ..NO, I am NOT blaming the refs.

Last edited:
what fight tonight, 2nd half wasnt close, a feeble run to get it to what 3 or 4...we did that vs Iowa too. We were thumped tonight, not even close to a game
You have a few intersecting things that make it really hard to analyze

1. The shooting is so bad
2. Players are obviously fatigued/nicked up

So take a look at Cliff. Multiple times he gets screened and NW gets easy scores as he is in not in position to help.

Do we excuse Cliff for not identifying the screen and not doing a better job fighting through it?

I am not sure here.

You have a few intersecting things that make it really hard to analyze

1. The shooting is so bad
2. Players are obviously fatigued/nicked up

So take a look at Cliff. Multiple times he gets screened and NW gets easy scores as he is in not in position to help.

Do we excuse Cliff for not identifying the screen and not doing a better job fighting through it?

I am not sure here.
Weren't those screens blatantly illegal or do I just not know the rules?

Its simpler than were making it. The team overachieved this year. The lack of talent was eye popping coming into the year.
Tend to agree. I came into the season w no expectations. Caleb coming back and spencer gave me some hope of being decent. But the order of operations has been abysmal. If we had this swoon in January and came on with out lte January play now we would be in a good spot.

On to Thursday hopefully they can figure something out

The offense has been an abomination and that’s on Pike. I have no idea what we’re doing half the time. We didn’t have a fg the first 5-6 minutes in the second half and we had countless turnovers. It’s game 31!!!!!! Why are you still doing the same BS? Simpson at least showed some life at the end of the first half. Try something different.
Cam is our best shooter, yet his best scoring opportunities comes when he drives one on one and gets his shot around the foul line.
I can’t remember him coming off a screen once to hit a 3. Maybe I’m wrong but the point is, it doesn’t happen enough.
You can have a down year, but the make up of this roster is really really bad. That’s not a knock of the players, but when you only have 6 players who can contribute, that’s on coach.
If Cliff leaves, we might take another giant step back. There’s still a lot to be desired from Pike.
Coach turned around this roster, but look at the NCAA bubble. It’s not that hard to get it. All you have to do is be slightly better than mediocre and you’re in. And we couldn’t even do that for 8 games.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
You obviously don’t know what a fight is. They fought to the last second. Hard to win when nobody could make a shot besides Cam

Just like football, Recruiting and NIL $
Talent isn't there yet and combined with subpar game coaching equals a collapse.

Weren't those screens blatantly illegal or do I just not know the rules?
I doubt it would’ve mattered but we did not get a good whistle for us in the game. Even with our depth issues, we’re better off right now in games where a ton of fouls are called both ways and guys like Paul and Caleb can draw fouls on shots they are probably not going to make. Refs letting everyone play though contact defninitely hurt us.

Lack of offensive weapons will do that. Offense wins games. Period. NW hit shots. Huskers hit shots. Michigan hit big shots. Tonight, we played good enough D to win.
NW was not gang busters on offense, we were just worse
They should have wound up with 60 or so, and our job was to get more

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but I agree. Coming into the season i figured the team would be somewhere from 6-10 in the conference and it would be somewhat of a rebuilding year. The shift to elite defense was unforeseen and it turns out Mag was the glue holding it together. All the margins became a little bit worse and the drop from great to good can have a big impact on win/loss

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Can’t believe I’m agreeing with you but I agree. Coming into the season i figured the team would be somewhere from 6-10 in the conference and it would be somewhat of a rebuilding year. The shift to elite defense was unforeseen and it turns out Mag was the glue holding it together. All the margins became a little bit worse and the drop from great to good can have a big impact on win/loss
Razor thin margins. Despite it all we are a stolen victory at OSU and <1% collapse at Minnesota from being 12-8 with a double bye in the B1G tournament.

Razor thin margins. Despite it all we are a stolen victory at OSU and <1% collapse at Minnesota from being 12-8 with a double bye in the B1G tournament.
But there are "S happened" games that you won, as well, that would also be in play if you are re-setting W-L...

But there are "S happened" games that you won, as well, that would also be in play if you are re-setting W-L...
I agree and that’s why you can’t “trade” Miami, SHU, Nebraska, or any of the other close losses. As you said we have similar close wins PSU, Wisc, Purdue etc.

But OSU we played the whole game and within the rules we won. For Minnesota 99/100 teams in that position win if not more. We’re 10-10 it is what it is, but those two are extremely unique circumstances.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT