ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebe Haddon leaves as chancellor at Rutgers-Camden

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
https://www.inquirer.com/news/rutgers-camden-chancellor-phoebe-haddon-leaving-20200217.html

As you can see, she is now 70 and was chancellor for six years. I get the sense from the story that she wants to leave before Holloway arrives as President, but maybe I'm reading between the lines too much. I really never met her, although she and I overlapped by four years. (Chancellor, btw, is the new name for the official who used to be known as the provost.)

But, to the best of my knowledge, she knows nothing about economics -- she's a law professor, and law/economics was not her field. What does a Fed Board do, anyhow?

Each regional federal reserve region has a board of directors that provides oversight of the regional fed bank and engages in regional economic policy.

Each regional federal reserve region has a board of directors that provides oversight of the regional fed bank and engages in regional economic policy.

"Oversight of the regional fed bank?" What does that mean in practice? Aren't the regional banks controlled largely by Washington? "engages in regional economic policy?" This sounds like a nothing job too. What "policy" do they determine? Sorry for not knowing much about this.

"Oversight of the regional fed bank?" What does that mean in practice? Aren't the regional banks controlled largely by Washington? "engages in regional economic policy?" This sounds like a nothing job too. What "policy" do they determine? Sorry for not knowing much about this.
There are 12 Federal Reserve Regions and each has a federal reserve bank. They are the depository institution for each region and enforce or oversee monetary policy. They have regulatory and oversight authority. They also develop regional economic studies. Usually each bank has an economic research group that has expertise on the regional economies of which they are a part. Like all organizations they have a board.

There are 12 Federal Reserve Regions and each has a federal reserve bank. They are the depository institution for each region and enforce or oversee monetary policy. They have regulatory and oversight authority. They also develop regional economic studies. Usually each bank has an economic research group that has expertise on the regional economies of which they are a part. Like all organizations they have a board.

Sounds like just about anybody could serve on such a board, as opposed to being part of , say, the economic research group.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/rutgers-camden-chancellor-phoebe-haddon-leaving-20200217.html

As you can see, she is now 70 and was chancellor for six years. I get the sense from the story that she wants to leave before Holloway arrives as President, but maybe I'm reading between the lines too much. I really never met her, although she and I overlapped by four years. (Chancellor, btw, is the new name for the official who used to be known as the provost.)

BTW, I understand that Chancellor Haddon will be teaching Constitutional Law next year at the Camden campus of the law school. So she is not fully retiring. (Rutgers has no mandatory retirement age; I could have gone on to my 70s, and some faculty are doing or planning to do.)

When was the last time she taught a bar exam class. Isn’t that a dumb call (if true)?

When was the last time she taught a bar exam class. Isn’t that a dumb call (if true)?

She taught Torts at Temple -- I don't know how long ago. The bar review courses that students take just before doing the bar make up for a lot of the deficiencies in subject matter coverage in Constitutional Law. Any course has to leave out a lot. You might think that Constitutional Law professors are generally the best and the brightest -- since the field is so prestigious -- but that is often not the case. My guess is that she will do as well as anybody else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT