ADVERTISEMENT

Pike's Recruiting Moving Forward.

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
1st let me say I come in peace. Secondly, let me say that I have never met Steve Pikiell and he seems to be a standup guy, recently has proven he is an excellent coach and is no doubt a solid ambassador for RU. That being said, there seems to be 2 camps on this board when it comes to Pike...1- the he's a Godsend camp majority, and 2- the jury's still out camp minority, who have criticized him this season, which I am part of. Lately, his coaching has been lights out and he's gotten the max out his players...he, his staff and the team all deserve tremendous praise, no doubt. Let's hope that continues Wed at the RAC, as I won't talk the rest of the sked or the B1G Tourney as I'm a 1 game at a time proponent. However, what makes great college coaches is their ability to recruit....first and foremost. Sustained success at this level is more about the Jimmies and the Joe's than the X's and the O's. I hope Pike can use this week's success and hopefully more success this season to sell top level recruits (whether that's JUCO, Portal or HS players) on his program. He has shown his coaching prowess by beating 5 of the traditional B1G basketball powers on the court this season (and hopefully more). Now it's time for his recruiting to also show it's prowess by beating the traditional B1G basketball powers on the recruiting trail, like he has on the court. If he can do that, there will no longer be 2 camps on this board when it comes to Pike, we will all see him as a Godsend for RU Hoops and our alma mater.

Go Pike, wishing you tremendous success at RU coaching AND recruiting!

I think you missed camp 3 which is super grateful he brought this program to the ncaa tournament which was fabulous but recruiting momentum is not in a good place. No one thinks the jury is still out I don’t think. Guy proved he can coach

I think you missed camp 3 which is super grateful he brought this program to the ncaa tournament which was fabulous but recruiting momentum is not in a good place. No one thinks the jury is still out I don’t think. Guy proved he can coach

Yep thread already off to a bad start by thinking there’s only 2 “camps” with the majority thinking Pikiell is godsend.

This one will end well.

the-enter-key-from-a-black-keyboard-picture-id114263404

1st let me say I come in peace. Secondly, let me say that I have never met Steve Pikiell and he seems to be a standup guy, recently has proven he is an excellent coach and is no doubt a solid ambassador for RU. That being said, there seems to be 2 camps on this board when it comes to Pike...1- the he's a Godsend camp majority, and 2- the jury's still out camp minority, who have criticized him this season, which I am part of. Lately, his coaching has been lights out and he's gotten the max out his players...he, his staff and the team all deserve tremendous praise, no doubt. Let's hope that continues Wed at the RAC, as I won't talk the rest of the sked or the B1G Tourney as I'm a 1 game at a time proponent. However, what makes great college coaches is their ability to recruit....first and foremost. Sustained success at this level is more about the Jimmies and the Joe's than the X's and the O's. I hope Pike can use this week's success and hopefully more success this season to sell top level recruits (whether that's JUCO, Portal or HS players) on his program. He has shown his coaching prowess by beating 5 of the traditional B1G basketball powers on the court this season (and hopefully more). Now it's time for his recruiting to also show it's prowess by beating the traditional B1G basketball powers on the recruiting trail, like he has on the court. If he can do that, there will no longer be 2 camps on this board when it comes to Pike, we will all see him as a Godsend for RU Hoops and our alma mater.

I don’t think we will ever pull any 5 stars as he does not want any one and dones but let’s hope he can reel in a couple of 4 stars a year sprinklings in the others and we will be more than fine
The recruiting is now even more difficult with the NIL which now means the players are getting money over the table vs before where it was all under the table and we know Pikell will never be anything more than stand up

As a serious response, a lot of this recruiting vs. developing discussion reminds me of offensive vs. defense discussion in that it's nonsense.

If you want to be elite, you need both. If you only have one, it doesn't matter which one. A point scored is equally as valuable as a point prevented. A player is as valuable as his current ability, regardless of what his recruiting ranking was.

If Pike wants to take the program above the threshold he has thus far, he will need to recruit better. That's just a fact. What I don't understand are the people who panic about current recruiting. It's underwhelming, but so was the recruiting he used to give us the teams from the last 3 years. There's no indication it's any worse, and if anything the level of talent on the team next year will be comparable at least to the level of talent from 2019-20 (measured by recruiting ratings).

F Off SanteFeScarlet, you are Same clown that kept posting, " Just wait till next year when Cliff transfers".

You are absolute worst so call Rutgers MBB fan ever.

Also said it about Mulcahy.....Remember posting this?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul transfer... He sees how Pike let's Geo and Ron play uninspired lousy at times and yet they continue to play. It's got to be extremely frustrating for Paul who gives it 120% all the time...

Last edited:
F Off SanteFeScarlet, you are Same clown that kept posting, " Just wait till next year when Cliff transfers".

And that's when Pike's teams didn't play 40 minutes, like they are now. Pike's team has changed and so has my opinion of Pike. Fans can't be critical of lousy play and coaching like in the Minny game, and more. And, if they continued t play like that...yes there would have beem a good likelihood Cliff transferred.

And that's when Pike's teams didn't play 40 minutes, like they are now. Pike's team has changed and so has my opinion of Pike. Fans can't be critical of lousy play and coaching like in the Minny game, and more. And, if they continued t play like that...yes there would have beem a good likelihood Cliff transferred.
No one would have ever predicted the last three games a month ago. Last month I would have predicted Cliff transferred. If we keep this up and dance, he stays (unless Paul transfers).

Really happy where we are right now. We all should be. Playing lights out

need to fix our very slow starts beginning of the season. Those losses and close games against inferior opponents is unacceptable

recruiting, need to go up a notch. Here is where the transfer portal can work to our advantage. Need to get 3-4 star kids out of high school. Ones who are wanted by other power 5 schools

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I’m going to try and be nice SantaFe. ;) You seem like a good guy. Pike isn’t going to prove it to you with recruiting. His style/game plan is to find guys that fit is system/style. Sometimes those are highly rated players and sometimes they are not. Pike isn’t a recruiting killer. That’s just not him. He isn’t Schiano if fans are trying to compare the two. Many big time players won’t be able to play in his way. If that’s how fans want to measure him, they will always be disappointed with his recruiting rankings.

Pike needs to hit 1-2 players per year in recruiting. The rest will be role/glue players for his system. Here’s are his hits, 2017 Geo and Myles, 2018 Ron and Caleb, 2019 Paul, 2020 Cliff and Mag (Jones is a question mark but I expect him to develop). 2021 was Miller (he probably will be a good rotational player) and Hyatt who should improve after another year in the program. 2022 is a big year. He probably needs a big transfer or two but still could land an impact freshman.

Judging Pike on his recruiting ranking is going to make fans look foolish. Don’t fall into that trap. Pike is all about finding players who fit his style and developing them into winners.

He can coach, he can develop, he doesn't have the recruiting bonafides...yet. Success will breed more success and recruiting wins though I'd love him to bring in an assistant more focused on recruiting
Pikiell has assistant coaches focused on recruiting but the four star recruits choose other schools.Local recruiting will be very difficult with Villanova ,Uconn ,Seton Hall and St.Johns competing along with the elite programs such as Duke and Kentucky.

Reactions: thegock

Also said it about Mulcahy.....Remember posting this?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul transfer... He sees how Pike let's Geo and Ron play uninspired lousy at times and yet they continue to play. It's got to be extremely frustrating for Paul who gives it 120% all the time...
Remember the team was playing like shit then....remember that?

No one would have ever predicted the last three games a month ago. Last month I would have predicted Cliff transferred. If we keep this up and dance, he stays (unless Paul transfers).
Two Clowns. So you idiots had PM and Cliff transferring. So that's how you clowns think it works? Team not playing well for for a few games so the starters transfer? 😀😀

Who else, maybe all of the returnees.

Last edited:
How many times do we have to post the same things, month after month, year after year.

For SantaFe or others who know basketball and know basketball recruiting, what program lands multiple 4* recruits every year....?? And since you know recruiting is not good or is perceived to not be good, how do you perceive it to not be good??

A) Is it based on the current roster or performance in games??

B) Is it based on players in the past, not ever improving from 1 year to the next??

C) what other B1G program should we recruit like?? I am mentioning the B1G, because 70+% of the RU schedule is made up of B1G regular season games and B1G tournament games....

If we have a school in the B1G that is comparable to discuss, then it's an easier discussion to say RU should outrecruit, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio State ....or is the comparable, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, or Northwestern??

Are we recruiting anyone with just a pulse and no academic requirements??

It always helps to know what it's based on, other than the flawed Rivals or 247/ESPN rankings....if it's strictly based on the ratings or rankings of what Rivals says, what happens if the rankings are wrong??

4 and 5 stars can help, but the b10 has teams with better recruiting classes than us who are doing much worse. The best coaches get maximum out of most players no matter how many stars they have.

How many times do we have to post the same things, month after month, year after year.

For SantaFe or others who know basketball and know basketball recruiting, what program lands multiple 4* recruits every year....?? And since you know recruiting is not good or is perceived to not be good, how do you perceive it to not be good.

A) Is it based on the current roster or performance in games??

B) Is it based on players in the past, not ever improving from 1 year to the next??

C) what other B1G program should we recruit like?? I am mentioning the B1G, because 70+% of the RU schedule is made up of B1G regular season games and B1G tournament games....

If we have a school in the B1G that is comparable to discuss, then it's an easier discussion to say RU should outrecruit, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio State ....or is the comparable, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, or Northwestern??

Are we recruiting anyone with just a pulse and no academic requirements??

It always helps to know what it based on, other than the flawed Rivals or 247/ESPN rankings....if it's strictly based on the ratings of what Rivals says, what happens if the rankings are wrong??

National / Big Ten (From some unnamed website that makes this stuff easy to look up):

2016 (Pike did not have a full recruiting season): #103 / #11
2017: #63 / #10
2018: #51 / #10
2019: #126 / #13
2020: #32 / #4
2021: #98 / #13
2022 (not necessarily finished): #70 / #11

We obviously aren't recruiting at the level that we want to be (average ranking #73, no clear upward trend).

That said, it's also not nearly as bad as people like to make it out to be. If you have the 73rd most raw talent, it's not some huge leap to be able to coach that into like the 35th best team. Now if you want to be the 10th best team or the 1st best team you will probably need to improve.

Reactions: gregkoko
How could the jury still be out when he was NcAA tournement bound 4 years removed from the worst program handoff in rutgers history but got canceled out, went to ncaa tournemnt and was a missed dunk away from an sweet sixteen and then just made history by beating 3 ranked teams for first time in program history with opportunity to make it 4???

You all talk about recruiting yet his recruiting has lead to results that prior rutgers coaches could only dream of. Ncaa tournement results. Beating #1 team in country results…

does he have flaws sure. Let’s talk about them but to say he needs to recruit the portal is a joke and to say the jury is out is even dumber

Pikiell in 5 years completely jumped nebraska, Indiana, Northwestern, Penn state and Minnesota.

Yep thread already off to a bad start by thinking there’s only 2 “camps” with the majority thinking Pikiell is godsend.

This one will end well.
He's an idiot if he thinks we don't see through his nonsense trying to rehash Pike's recruiting under a different guise. Dude trashes the program nonstop then thinks he's allowed a reset without a major apology to the fans that stuck with the program and had faith they would turn it around.

National / Big Ten (From some unnamed website that makes this stuff easy to look up):

2016 (Pike did not have a full recruiting season): #103 / #11
2017: #63 / #10
2018: #51 / #10
2019: #126 / #13
2020: #32 / #4
2021: #98 / #13
2022 (not necessarily finished): #70 / #11

We obviously aren't recruiting at the level that we want to be (average ranking #73, no clear upward trend).

That said, it's also not nearly as bad as people like to make it out to be. If you have the 73rd most raw talent, it's not some huge leap to be able to coach that into like the 35th best team. Now if you want to be the 10th best team or the 1st best team you will probably need to improve.

I guess the question is (not to me), if the recruiting rankings are bad, inaccurate or wrong, then 1 of 3 to 4 things have happened.

1) We have recruited better than what the inaccurate rankings say.

2) Other schools have recruited way better and grossly underwhelmed in terms of ROI (return on investment).

3) the kids who were recruited elsewhere haven't developed or have not had a chance to develop.

4) Pike is just wildly better as a coach than others (not saying that is the case, I tend to think the recruiting rankings are terribly inaccurate).

How could the jury still be out when he was NcAA tournement bound 4 years removed from the worst program handoff in rutgers history but got canceled out, went to ncaa tournemnt and was a missed dunk away from an sweet sixteen and then just made history by beating 3 ranked teams for first time in program history with opportunity to make it 4???

You all talk about recruiting yet his recruiting has lead to results that prior rutgers coaches could only dream of. Ncaa tournement results. Beating #1 team in country results…

does he have flaws sure. Let’s talk about them but to say he needs to recruit the portal is a joke and to say the jury is out is even dumber

Pikiell in 5 years completely jumped nebraska, Indiana, Northwestern, Penn state and Minnesota.
we lost to 3 of the 5 teams this year you just mentioned

I guess the question is (not to me), if the recruiting rankings are bad, inaccurate or wrong, then 1 of 3 to 4 things have happened.

1) We have recruited better than what the inaccurate rankings say.

2) Other schools have recruited way better and grossly underwhelmed in terms of ROI (return on investment).

3) the kids who were recruited elsewhere haven't developed or have not had a chance to develop.

4) Pike is just wildly better as a coach than others (not saying that is the case, I tend to think the recruiting rankings are terribly inaccurate).
It’s some combination of (1) and (4), how much of each is difficult to tell.

we lost to 3 of the 5 teams this year you just mentioned
So we beat Michigan state does that mean we have a better program than them?

that would be silly.

We have finished ahead of these teams except penn state 3 out of last 3 years including this year.Penn state 2 out of 3 and that one year we didn’t was 2019-2020 when we tied at 11-9.

we have actually finished ahead of Maryland 2 out of 3

not one person who follows big ten would think penn state, nebraska, Minnesota, northwestern, and Indiana are ahead of rutgers right now.

Reactions: goru7 and TRU2RU

I’m guessing you didn’t think much about Harper, Geo, Paul and Caleb.

Post is dumb. You’re only gonna give Pike credit if the rating services say his recruit are great.

If we continue on this current run to a birth in the NCAA tourney I believe the recruiting improvements will be exponential in scope. These kids see the crowds, team chemistry evolving and the many accolades coming their way. It‘s all in the wins and consistent type of program Steve Pikiell is building.

Reactions: Groz and RUKen
So we beat Michigan state does that mean we have a better program than them?

that would be silly.

We have finished ahead of these teams except penn state 3 out of last 3 years including this year.Penn state 2 out of 3 and that one year we didn’t was 2019-2020 when we tied at 11-9.

we have actually finished ahead of Maryland 2 out of 3

not one person who follows big ten would think penn state, nebraska, Minnesota, northwestern, and Indiana are ahead of rutgers right now.
I agree with the fact that we're ahead of them, but we should also be beating them

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT