ADVERTISEMENT

Pike's Recruiting Moving Forward.

Wins bring in recruits,
Rutgers keeps on winning the games like they have lately, those wins will impress the try of talent that makes a program a constant winner and a pre season top 25 team.

#1_ I feel Pike can lights out coach
#2_ I worry if Pike can recruit the type of talent it takes to be a constant top 25 program

Conclusion is: I believe Pike's recruiting will improve as the Victories pile up and RU MBB gains the respect of HS BB HCs and they start recommending RU to their better players and College talent entering the portal start seeing RU as a tourney team that will give them the type exposure to pro scouts improving their chances to play at the next level.

We’ve essentially made the ncaas two years in a row after 29 years and this year with all its ups and downs has had us beat our first number 1 team and for the first time beat three ranked team and we have Illinois coming into the Rac for another big game and you want to once again focus on next year. Enjoy this team. Enjoy watching Geo and Ron for a few more games. I’m sure you would have hated Geo too when he was recruited but that seems to have worked out ok

Generally he doesn’t seem to be an elite level recruiter. Schiano is significantly stronger but even he struggles relative to our division competitors. Hopefully his on court success slowly begins to change things on the recruiting front. Think about how uconn, started. There are far more examples of teams that have one year and fade than teams able to sustain success. Let’s hope for the latter. Keep it up Steve!!

I really pay little attention to recruiting and how many stars a recruit has. Pike has a history of finding good players. We have a path to essentially a 3 year run into the tourney after many of a drought. Next year no worries.. I fully expect sustainability and growth of this program. Trust in a coach who knows what he’s doing!

Reactions: goru7 and Scarlet83
I’m going to try and be nice SantaFe. ;) You seem like a good guy. Pike isn’t going to prove it to you with recruiting. His style/game plan is to find guys that fit is system/style. Sometimes those are highly rated players and sometimes they are not. Pike isn’t a recruiting killer. That’s just not him. He isn’t Schiano if fans are trying to compare the two. Many big time players won’t be able to play in his way. If that’s how fans want to measure him, they will always be disappointed with his recruiting rankings.

Pike needs to hit 1-2 players per year in recruiting. The rest will be role/glue players for his system. Here’s are his hits, 2017 Geo and Myles, 2018 Ron and Caleb, 2019 Paul, 2020 Cliff and Mag (Jones is a question mark but I expect him to develop). 2021 was Miller (he probably will be a good rotational player) and Hyatt who should improve after another year in the program. 2022 is a big year. He probably needs a big transfer or two but still could land an impact freshman.

Judging Pike on his recruiting ranking is going to make fans look foolish. Don’t fall into that trap. Pike is all about finding players who fit his style and developing them into winners.
Player development was a glaring weakness in this program for 3 decades. Pikell is addressing that area in a way that his predecessors did not. We're finally seeing players get better.

My only issue with “he wants 2 star recruits” is that the two guys lighting it up right now, Cliff and Paul, we’re both sought after recruits. They were by no means 2 star recruits.

Reactions: mugrat86
No one would have ever predicted the last three games a month ago. Last month I would have predicted Cliff transferred. If we keep this up and dance, he stays (unless Paul transfers).
A f
Nobody want to read some guy constantly whining and predicting every player is going tp transfer. Nobody. If that's all you got, I suggest its time to enter the portal. The Syracuse board can always use another miserable whiner.
a true fan would never suggest a players to transfer

I really pay little attention to recruiting and how many stars a recruit has. Pike has a history of finding good players. We have a path to essentially a 3 year run into the tourney after many of a drought. Next year no worries.. I fully expect sustainability and growth of this program. Trust in a coach who knows what he’s doing!
I like Simpson a lot

Reactions: Scarlet83
So we beat Michigan state does that mean we have a better program than them?

that would be silly.

We have finished ahead of these teams except penn state 3 out of last 3 years including this year.Penn state 2 out of 3 and that one year we didn’t was 2019-2020 when we tied at 11-9.

we have actually finished ahead of Maryland 2 out of 3

not one person who follows big ten would think penn state, nebraska, Minnesota, northwestern, and Indiana are ahead of rutgers right now.
Not going to research but I think Pike has gotten his but kicked by PSU, he needs to turn that around.

My only issue with “he wants 2 star recruits” is that the two guys lighting it up right now, Cliff and Paul, we’re both sought after recruits. They were by no means 2 star recruits.
Who said Pike wants 2 star recruits?? If someone said that, they are nuts.

Pike wants talented, longer players that fit his system, and players that can and will work on their game and buy in on defense and hustle.

Last edited:
Who said Pike wants 2 star recruits?? If someone said that, they are nuts.

Pike wants talented, longer players that fit his system, and players that can and will work on their game and play good defense.

Pike has been saying that since he got here. He even interviewed as that guy. From Rutgers wire

“His interview with Steve Pikiell was in a diner in New York City. nd so they’re talking and Steve Pikiell says to him, ‘You know, I’m not a shortcut guy. We’re gonna we’re going to go out, we’re going to get under-recruited players, and we’re going to develop them and we’re going to turn them into a team,”

He knew he needed under recruited players to start and then would get the more talented players like Paul, Ron and Cliff (and Jaden, we hope). If Pike can get a class 2 or 3 of those each year, with his coaching abilities, he'd have RU in the top 15 in the country.

Pike has been saying that since he got here. He even interviewed as that guy. From Rutgers wire

“His interview with Steve Pikiell was in a diner in New York City. nd so they’re talking and Steve Pikiell says to him, ‘You know, I’m not a shortcut guy. We’re gonna we’re going to go out, we’re going to get under-recruited players, and we’re going to develop them and we’re going to turn them into a team,”
Every coach talks his own book, and they are all trying to get the best players they can get. Of course a coach from Stony Brook coming to a dumpster fire like Rutgers is going to say he is recruiting undiscovered players, because it is not plausible to say you are going to get top players to come to the program. The more Pike wins, the better the players we will get over time.

That quote doesn’t say two star at all. I think you are not considering Pike’s overall recruiting strategy. Do I have to name all of the 4 star and highly recruited 3 stars that Pike recruited?

Some of Pike’s recruits were under recruited and some were highly recruited.

It's an interesting story line or conversation piece, but trust that he ain't passing on any players who fit his system and character type just because they have more than 2 stars on their name.

I would like to see Pike continue to recruit guys at the Cliff/Paul level. They're not one and done, and they need development, but they solid recruits with high ceilings. I'd rather develop from 3/4 star than from 2/3 (obviously).

I would like to see Pike continue to recruit guys at the Cliff/Paul level. They're not one and done, and they need development, but they solid recruits with high ceilings. I'd rather develop from 3/4 star than from 2/3 (obviously).
I guarantee, so would Pike... no matter what anyone says.

Reactions: gregkoko
You recruit and develop the players that fit your system not what some recruiting site says...lol.

As someone who has never been a highly recruited HS basketball player, I have to think Pike and the program have done almost as much as one can do to attract highly rated talent:

1. Built a program that can not just compete, but win against anyone in the B10; NCAA tournament appearance(s)
2. Proven he can develop teams as a whole and players individually
3. Huge upgrade in facilities
4. Unmatched college atmosphere for home games at the RAC
5. Seen on TV; in NYC marketplace

There is a A LOT of competition for local talent, but there's also A LOT of local talent. I would think there are at least a few guys every year who want to stay close-ish to home and play at a highly competitive program with an unmatched atmosphere.

As someone who has never been a highly recruited HS basketball player, I have to think Pike and the program have done almost as much as one can do to attract highly rated talent:

1. Built a program that can not just compete, but win against anyone in the B10; NCAA tournament appearance(s)
2. Proven he can develop teams as a whole and players individually
3. Huge upgrade in facilities
4. Unmatched college atmosphere for home games at the RAC
5. Seen on TV; in NYC marketplace

There is a A LOT of competition for local talent, but there's also A LOT of local talent. I would think there are at least a few guys every year who want to stay close-ish to home and play at a highly competitive program with an unmatched atmosphere.
The only thing he hasn't done yet is the one thing that is probably hardest. Over time he has to completely change the public perception of Rutgers basketball. One or two tournament appearances won't do it. People won't believe until it's sustained over a much longer period of time.

The only thing he hasn't done yet is the one thing that is probably hardest. Over time he has to completely change the public perception of Rutgers basketball. One or two tournament appearances won't do it. People won't believe until it's sustained over a much longer period of time.
Um I think he has already accomplished that.

Reactions: kt124
ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one last and, final time,,,,,i promise........is it pike and, his excellent staff........or is it our BRAND that makes it so hard to attract the blue chippers.
we have smuch to overcome to improve our BRAND..........scandal, lack of support, dominant pro geographics and, a state population that doesn't even know ru is the state univ..........for the life of me i don't get how this is overlooked
schiano 1.0 was just about ready to make us relevant. then he left...... which by the way sent us back to the dumpster....he's back and, will get us where we need to be...pike is trying is dam best ,but hoops notoriety is not the same as fb......we were in the final four in 1976 and, look how that built a great recruiting dynamic,,,,NOT.........fb pays the bills and gets the spotlight....................one thing still puzzles me... how does
GONZAGA become a bb powerhouse? is it the name?.

This argument that Pike cannot recruit is asinine. If the ranking were redone based on their college performances, how many stars would the following players get:

Baker
Harper
Mulcahy
Cliff
McConnell
Yeboah
Johnson

I believe Pike struck out twice on recruits

Souf
And maybe Palmquist

His three most heralded recruits were Mathis, Jones and Duke. Both Duke and Mathis were utter disappointments and Jones struggled his first year.

Nobody should be questioning his recruiting

Last edited:
He also hasn’t put anyone in the draft yet, although maybe RHJ will be the first. Rutgers is getting great press right now, as this continues over time recruiting will improve.

Um I think he has already accomplished that.
This is an ongoing project that is still in its early stages. You are looking at this too much like a Rutgers fan. Image if you are an AAU coach advising a very talented HS player on his options. Are you really going to pound the table for Rutgers if he can go to Villanova or another similar school? Maybe in a couple more years, but it takes time.

Reactions: mikebal9
This argument that Pike cannot recruit is asinine. If the ranking were redone based on their college performances, how many stars would the following players get:

Baker
Harper
Mulcahy
Cliff
McConnell
Yeboah
Johnson

Souf
And maybe Palmquist

His three most heralded recruits were Mathis, Jones and Duke. Both Duke and Mathis were utter disappointments and Jones struggled his first year.

Cliff has been Pikiell most highly rated recruit..

You recruit and develop the players that fit your system not what some recruiting site says...lol.
If DeJuan Wagner Jr. woke up tomorrow and said I want to spend my one year in college representing NJ, do you think Pike wouldn’t take him???? They would roll out the red carpet for him and his family. The only way they wouldn’t take him, and I think there is a minuscule chance of this, it that Pike is very honest with the kid and says I would love to take you, but for the sake of your career and draft position, you are better off going to Kentucky or North Carolina.

I see the program as being very attractive to high level transfers. I know we wiffed on Harrar last year but that is the level think would come here. 4 Star kids want overblown promises and lies that are not Pikes style. The recruiting game has changed in favor of a guys that can actually coach.

Alot of excuses, Pike is just not a good salesman. He's good at developing the guys who can get. But he would love to have Mark Armstrong n etc. I honestly believe the staff just doesn't work as hard in recruiting as they should. All these big home games- and they haven't even gotten anybody to come see them.

Alot of excuses, Pike is just not a good salesman. He's good at developing the guys who can get. But he would love to have Mark Armstrong n etc. I honestly believe the staff just doesn't work as hard in recruiting as they should. All these big home games- and they haven't even gotten anybody to come see them.
Yeah, there's this thing called a dead period in effect until 2/28. Recruits can show up on their own but the staff can't have any contact with them. Now doesn't your comment look foolish?

Yeah, there's this thing called a dead period in effect until 2/28. Recruits can show up on their own but the staff can't have any contact with them. Now doesn't your comment look foolish?
you can still call/text/email recruits in a dead period

If DeJuan Wagner Jr. woke up tomorrow and said I want to spend my one year in college representing NJ, do you think Pike wouldn’t take him???? They would roll out the red carpet for him and his family. The only way they wouldn’t take him, and I think there is a minuscule chance of this, it that Pike is very honest with the kid and says I would love to take you, but for the sake of your career and draft position, you are better off going to Kentucky or North Carolina.
These 5* guys all were getting paid pre-NIL. Where is Pike in that conversation when no one is funding those payments?

These 5* guys all were getting paid pre-NIL. Where is Pike in that conversation when no one is funding those payments?
I don’t doubt some money was going to highly rated players, but it had very little impact on were they were going. Finding a coach that is going to run his offense to showcase your abilities and help you move up several spots in the draft is going to be worth many multiples more then some cash you might get for signing.

Baker
Harper
Mulcahy
Cliff
McConnell
Yeboah
Johnson

Souf
And maybe Palmquist

I mean Cliff has essentially already surpassed Myles (and I was a huge fan of MJ).

Underwood left the game saying that’s an NBA guy.

That’s not by accident.

Yes you should recruit to your system, but the bottom line is the better your recruiting, the more success you’ll have.

Reactions: kt124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT