ADVERTISEMENT

Listening to Pike at the presser is pathetic!

Tonight's press conference was a disaster. First, Steve complemented the Rutgers fans, who left early in droves during the most important game of the year, allowing the tiny Northwestern contingent to be heard at the end. Then, Steve gave a shout out to the performance of the band and the cheerleaders because he couldn't find anything positive to say about his players.

Worst, Steve repeatedly mentioned Caleb's bad back and how Caleb was unable to practice yesterday due to the nagging back injury. Steve added Caleb played 39 minutes tonight in spite of his poor physical condition. Why is Steve informing Juwan of this Achilles' heel? Watch for a hard foul on Caleb in the lower back area on Thursday.
The game was over when people left. I thought the opposite, it’s amazing how full it was near the end given the circumstances

Pike, whom I love, sounds like a carnival barker at his presser. He doesn't want to admit that he and his staff have FAILED MISERABLY down the stretch. The loss against Minnesota was unforgivable. Pike was exposed there for not calling a TO when his team was discombobulated, allowing the worst team in the league to outscore them 15-4 in in 1:15. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on Pike. And the fact that he continues to be loyal to Paul over Derek is IMO a crime. Paul, whom I used to really support, has become a mental midget and refuses to realize he has major advantages over the guards he plays. Yet, he fails to score against them, and throws the ball away and possessions.

Pike FAILS to run the offense through Cam and never seems to get him open for enough screens. As great a defender as Caleb is, why the EFF does Pike allow him to take the ball up the floor and run the offense? Caleb is the WORST shooter on the team. If Cam had even six more possessions, we may have made a game of this.

Congratulations PIke. You have gone from an NCAA team to either a bubble or an NIT team. FAIL!!!
Spot
On

You're wrong. Pike doesn't do enough to get Cam open. Period.
Agreed take any team in the country and their coach gets the best player/shooter open looks 6-8 times a game. The other looks come through flow of the offense fast breaks or invidious l gettinng them selfs free. We’re the only team I can remember who can’t get their best shooter looks or even ensures he gets 15 shots up a game. His best option is a freshman who can get to the basket when ever he wants which frees up cliff when he’s double and yes can free up shooters like Cam. But PIKE refuses to play him because of loyalty. Easily one of the worst offensive coaches in college hoops

I get the frustration, but there is nothing that Pike can say in a press conference that will mitigate this loss or the melt down against Minnesota.

The team doesn’t have enough offense. I’m hoping that the new recruits, a portal addition, and player development can change that.

I get the frustration, but there is nothing that Pike can say in a press conference that will mitigate this loss or the melt down against Minnesota.

The team doesn’t have enough offense. I’m hoping that the new recruits, a portal addition, and player development can change that.
Portal addition (s). We need more than 1.

Yeah, it was your imagination Mr. Contrarian. Pike has done a PISS POOR job of freeing up Cam ALL EFFIN' SEASON! Put that in your pipe Green Rice and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
completely disagree. cant ‘free up’ a player when there are no other threats. Cam is the focus of every opponent. hes the best offensive player.crazy as it sounds, Hyatt is the second best offensive player. The team is built to excel on D, sacrificing O. But when Mag got hurt, they couldnt play team D either because Paul is forced to guard athletic players. A mismatch every time , which easily breaks down the D.

completely disagree. cant ‘free up’ a player when there are no other threats. Cam is the focus of every opponent. hes the best offensive player.crazy as it sounds, Hyatt is the second best offensive player. The team is built to excel on D, sacrificing O. But when Mag got hurt, they couldnt play team D either because Paul is forced to guard athletic players. A mismatch every time , which easily breaks down the D.
Cam has actually had some looks to shoot at times but passes them up .. saw that often tonight when we were looking for some hope.

Cam has actually had some looks to shoot at times but passes them up .. saw that often tonight when we were looking for some hope
cam shut down audige for most of the game until we started fouling. he was gassed. you cant expect a player to take every possible shot while also defending relentlessly. Audige is one of the best guards in the conference, as is Buie.

Well said, Cam is like a John Paxson or Steve Kerr from the old school Chicago Bulls, he needs a star to play off of.

cam shut down audige for most of the game until we started fouling. he was gassed. you cant expect a player to take every possible shot while also defending relentlessly. Audige is one of the best guards in the conference, as is Buie.
I agree with you on your assessment. This isn't about fatigue though. Cam had some opportunities at times to shoot and instead passed on them as his defender closed out on him. I would rather him be taking shots than anyone else on our team and more of my point

Well said, Cam is like a John Paxson or Steve Kerr from the old school Chicago Bulls, he needs a star to play off of.
This is a clever way to look at it. I agree Cam suffers playing in a team without a clear leader, forcing him to play too many roles, making it difficult for Cam to focus on his shooting game.

Cam is shooting 43% from on 3s. He is the only Rutgers player in the top 50 in the B1G on this metric. But Cam is attempting only 4 or 5 3s per game

Hopefully, Gavin's play next season approaches that of Michael Jordan in his NBA prime, making it easier for Cam to get open looks from three point land. But the odds of Gavin becoming the best basketball player in history next season are low. Steve, the assistant coaches, and Cam need to work together to enable Cam to reach his scoring potential.

Cam is not a guy who is successful coming off screens.
Agreed - as the focus of the offense with the other team's best defender on him and with guys on our team who struggle to read when he's open.

As much difference as one player can make for another, I believe Griffiths will make that difference for Cam next year. I'm hoping we get a lot of stuff like "wow, Cam can really stroke that transition corner 3's when we have someone who can get it to him".

Reactions: Rutger2001
I agree with you on your assessment. This isn't about fatigue though. Cam had some opportunities at times to shoot and instead passed on them as his defender closed out on him. I would rather him be taking shots than anyone else on our team and more of my point
Our best ball movement guy is also our best perimeter shooter/scorer.
I agree, I'd rather him force up some shots if he has to rather than most other guys taking their regular shots.

This is a clever way to look at it. I agree Cam suffers playing in a team without a clear leader, forcing him to play too many roles, making it difficult for Cam to focus on his shooting game.

Cam is shooting 43% from on 3s. He is the only Rutgers player in the top 50 in the B1G on this metric. But Cam is attempting only 4 or 5 3s per game

Hopefully, Gavin's play next season approaches that of Michael Jordan in his NBA prime, making it easier for Cam to get open looks from three point land. But the odds of Gavin becoming the best basketball player in history next season are low. Steve, the assistant coaches, and Cam need to work together to enable Cam to reach his scoring potential.
Yeah not fair to ask Gavin to be a star right away. It's going to have to come from the portal. According to RU72 both Jordan Dingle (#2 in the nation in scoring) and Jordan Walker (#3) are on our radar.

Reactions: Fat Koko
Both Jordans attempt more 3s than Cam though make 3s at a lower percentage. If Rutgers could add a second credible three point shooter to compliment Cam, that would be super.

These Jordans are both from Long Island. Why doesn't Steve own Long Island recruiting? He coached college ball there for 11 years. With St. John's suffering a step change down in competitiveness, Rutgers should be the clear #1 choice for the New York metro's top high school basketball players looking to stay in the area to play college ball.

Yeah not fair to ask Gavin to be a star right away.
Why not? The kid got a standing ovation being on the big screen, he owes us 😂 😂
Kidding but why not? Why not expect him to be our best offensive player?
They go to school in June, go overseas in August, he'll have a ton of time to get used to it.

Shelby, you make excellent points. Still, Pike, or Knight or Hobbs can still draw up quality plays with screens up top to get Cam open. We see that done all of the time on other teams, when we're keying on a particular player. Last night, Bouie got open twice on double screens up top and drilled two three pointers. It can be done, but I do see your point as well.

Pike, whom I love, sounds like a carnival barker at his presser. He doesn't want to admit that he and his staff have FAILED MISERABLY down the stretch. The loss against Minnesota was unforgivable. Pike was exposed there for not calling a TO when his team was discombobulated, allowing the worst team in the league to outscore them 15-4 in in 1:15. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on Pike. And the fact that he continues to be loyal to Paul over Derek is IMO a crime. Paul, whom I used to really support, has become a mental midget and refuses to realize he has major advantages over the guards he plays. Yet, he fails to score against them, and throws the ball away and possessions.

Pike FAILS to run the offense through Cam and never seems to get him open for enough screens. As great a defender as Caleb is, why the EFF does Pike allow him to take the ball up the floor and run the offense? Caleb is the WORST shooter on the team. If Cam had even six more possessions, we may have made a game of this.

Congratulations PIke. You have gone from an NCAA team to either a bubble or an NIT team. FAIL!!!
I'd like to think he knows damn well of the mistakes he's made. Whether or not he admits it in a press conference is irrelevant. And what he says to the team right now is far different than what you will ever hear I bet. That being said, the loyalty to Paul has been bewildering.
Nowadays people love to use “mental stuff” as an excuse. The team looked pretty good in State Collage a week ago.
Maybe Caleb wasn't addressing the team, per se. But was addressing one individual.

Emoji Think GIF

Reactions: RU MAN
Shelby, you make excellent points. Still, Pike, or Knight or Hobbs can still draw up quality plays with screens up top to get Cam open. We see that done all of the time on other teams, when we're keying on a particular player. Last night, Bouie got open twice on double screens up top and drilled two three pointers. It can be done, but I do see your point as well.
I hear you, but probably easier said than done. The opponents scheme too. The only way to ensure one guy can get open is to have other threats too. Even despite NU’s superior ball movement, Buie’s two threes were late and well beyond the arc with McConnell on him. Those weren’t system looks.

Reactions: RU MAN
Yeah not fair to ask Gavin to be a star right away. It's going to have to come from the portal. According to RU72 both Jordan Dingle (#2 in the nation in scoring) and Jordan Walker (#3) are on our radar.

Jordan Walker is a 6th year senior this year.

Careful.. he'll do it!
Thank goodness for this thread.

Now I can identify all the "losers" I would never want in my foxhole.

A little empathy would be nice.

All the "armchair" experts are having their say, since it is obvious none of you have ever actually been a serious participant in any of these situations.

I encourage you to switch your allegiance to another team - their loss and our gain.

And, NO, you have not proved yourself to be smarter than the coaches - just the opposite, actually.

Reactions: fg7321 and #1 RUFan
smh, way to welcome the new guy!
The have repeatedly said one game will not make a difference. Look at it this way. Now the committee is looking at our OSU loss differently. For the same reason I would not expect a player to not play for Rutgers because we lost to Minny, I would not expect a persons decision to go to Rutgers because the OSU is being looked at more favorably. Much more goes into decisions

Reactions: RUFan8827
Clearly he missed it. He’s not on the board 24-7 like you. Why don’t you give him the answer instead of being a clown
Reading issues? See above post. Somehow you have more of an issue with my post then he does……..imagine that.

And Pike has a script, win or lose.
"That's a talented team. Great coach...etc...etc...

And our players: "...connected...thanks to my teammates...etc..."

Steve Pikiell is the greatest thing that has ever happened to Rutgers Basketball. Have we ever been in the Tournament for 4 (COVID year was in as well) years in a row?

I firmly believe we will make at run at the Final Four within the next 5 years and we will Dance every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT