ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Put “Pike chase out Paul/Cam” to rest

The next step in this craziness is now that Harvard players can unionize- picture a team having a good year decide to strike mid year for a big raise in their nil.
Good, let them do it so we can all tell them to suck it. I love college hoops, but if this were to become a standard reaction, I'd have no problem bailing out. They ain't getting crap if nobody is there to watch the games in person or on TV.

There are only two posters who I can think of that thought Pikiell chased Cam and Paul off or that he owns blame for them leaving.

Hawk and Sojo.

They couldn’t be more wrong and interesting neither of them have yet to post in this thread lol.

My theory on this is that Cam had every intention of coming back and told Pike that. Once that deadline for undergrads passed the market for grad transfers drastically changed. It seems like schools contacted him through back channels and he realized he misread the market and could play at a title contender and make significantly more money. Once that was obvious to him I think he probably moved on from Rutgers in his head which is where this we couldn’t counter thing comes from. System sucked we got screwed but idk if I can blame him. Our best days are ahead
That's very plausible, and if true, would make Cam an ass for leaving Pike high and dry.
Good, let them do it so we can all tell them to suck it. I love college hoops, but if this were to become a standard reaction, I'd have no problem bailing out. They ain't getting crap if nobody is there to watch the games in person or on TV.
For Harvard, yes. Attendance might suffer. For the big programs, I'm guessing the majority of fans wont tell them to suck it.

I don’t think anyone is saying Cam had to stay or that he didn’t have a right to go. This is now business. Cam is a professional college basketball player. So it just comes down to how you handle yourself in the business world. Some think how Cam handled the situation was fine. I don’t and based on Pike’s comment I don’t think he does either.
I like the reference that Cam is a professional college basketball player. I have been looking for an alternative general way to refer to these guys instead of student athlete. I think I will adopt this.

While loyalty is a generally a good trait and it can harm or hurt you. I would imagine these experiences maybe causing Pike and other coaches to reflect on whether being loyal to his guys is something he should be prioritizing going forward. More than ever this is a business and needs to be run that way.

Reactions: bitnez and Mr Magoo
By May 2023, months after the season ended, Pike and boosters had not locked up Paul and Cam with NIL contracts through 2023-2024. That is on Pike.

Pike needs to get tougher. When Oskar crawled on his knees to Pike hands out begging for his scholarship back, Pike should have said no. Feel free to enroll and attend walk-on tryouts.

When Paul and Cam waved goodbye, Pike could have said enjoy not playing basketball next season, your Rutgers transcripts will not be provided in time for you to be eligible for 2023-2024.
Do you have any concept of how things work today? This isn't 1976. Holding transcripts?

Reactions: RUChoppin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT