ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Put “Pike chase out Paul/Cam” to rest

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
Direct quote FROM PIKE publicly ! In today’s Carino article:

“When you’re counting on two starters coming back and they told you they were coming back, and then you’re trying to replace them with guys who are injured, it’s hard.”

There! He literally is calling out Paul and Cam, they did us dirty. Enough blaming Pike on this, he would never say this publicly about his players if he told them there’s no room. Cam and Paul are dead to us

Direct quote FROM PIKE publicly ! In today’s Carino article:

“When you’re counting on two starters coming back and they told you they were coming back, and then you’re trying to replace them with guys who are injured, it’s hard.”

There! He literally is calling out Paul and Cam, they did us dirty. Enough blaming Pike on this, he would never say this publicly about his players if he told them there’s no room. Cam and Paul are dead to us
Would love to see @NewJerseyHawk finally apologize for the misinformation he spread during the off-season.

We're not better off with Cam off the team. It was a bogus you spread that all offseason and pike desperately wanted them back.

“One day the ball is going to go in and we’re going to make layups and some open threes”

Still aggravated by this. Admittedly, there’s a very limited ceiling for what Pike can do with the lack of talent, but come on there are coaching failures here too.

I get that they’re very different, but he turned one of America’s worst rebounding teams into a competent bunch. Nothing can be done proactively about the 358th best shooting team?

Reactions: Local Shill
I think it was only 1 person who said they were run out. He is a great fan and enjoy reading what he posts, but he was wrong.

Now one can argue the staff was willing to take the risk of not allocating $ and hoping they stay as opposed to paying them and making them stay.
I think it was naivety and believing his players’ word. In fairness, before this offseason Rutgers hadn’t lost anyone I think they particularly wanted to keep in the portal era.

Reactions: bac2therac
By May 2023, months after the season ended, Pike and boosters had not locked up Paul and Cam with NIL contracts through 2023-2024. That is on Pike.

Pike needs to get tougher. When Oskar crawled on his knees to Pike hands out begging for his scholarship back, Pike should have said no. Feel free to enroll and attend walk-on tryouts.

When Paul and Cam waved goodbye, Pike could have said enjoy not playing basketball next season, your Rutgers transcripts will not be provided in time for you to be eligible for 2023-2024.

Reactions: RUsojo
and you know they had the money as a major donor??
i have no idea how anything works. i do think that ace and dylan are probably getting paid and I don't know if the pool of money they are getting paid from is available to any one else.

If it is between havin Dylan Harper a 18 year old for one year or Cam Spencer a 23 year old with experience I'd take Cam any day.

i have no idea how anything works. i do think that ace and dylan are probably getting paid and I don't know if the pool of money they are getting paid from is available to any one else.

If it is between havin Dylan Harper a 18 year old for one year or Cam Spencer a 23 year old with experience I'd take Cam any day.
I agree with your last sentence. I recommend editing to delete your first sentence - bad look.

and you know they had the money as a major donor??
He’s thinking the money we had went to Dylan and Ace. I’m not sure that’s true. I’m guessing 3rd parties are funding them and the irony is it’s probably easier for us to compete financially for the best than it is for the Cam types provided they otherwise have interest in Rutgers. Third parties don’t see the value in promoting Cam the way they do guys that project to be lottery picks. Companies are betting on the future. Companies don’t put money down for the nuts and bolts college players who have fringe NBA potential. Those funds come from donors.

As for Cam, I mean the guy can ball but it is now confirmed that he lied to our coach. To be clear -- Pike didn't say that Cam told me he was coming back only if they lined up (more) NIL for him, etc. Pike also didn't say we could've kept Cam (and Paul) if NIL was lined up for them. So, regardless of your position on whether players should always chase dollars via NIL, Cam lied about his intentions.

I think it was only 1 person who said they were run out. He is a great fan and enjoy reading what he posts, but he was wrong.

Now one can argue the staff was willing to take the risk of not allocating $ and hoping they stay as opposed to paying them and making them stay.
Not so fast. There's a difference between spectulating based on an opinion and stating something emphatically implying inside information.

Its a great question. Making the assumption that they had to pinch every penny to get Ace and Harper, are you saying you would rather have Cam on the 23/24 team than the incoming class? There is no part of me that would agree with that.

Its a great question. Making the assumption that they had to pinch every penny to get Ace and Harper, are you saying you would rather have Cam on the 23/24 team than the incoming class? There is no part of me that would agree with that.
it is all dark...so everything is mere speculation. i assume that money isnt endless. i would think money to pay ace and dylan means less for everyone else......but there is no way to know for sure, unless facts come out.

exactly....but if they would have paid fair market value I don't think either one of them would have left
I think the new rule will help there. Undergraduate and graduate players have 60 days after Selection Sunday to enter.

Because I don’t think $400,000 or whatever is a fair market value for Paul, but the market is broken if Paul leaves in June and the only replacements are over-valued grad transfers

As for Cam, I mean the guy can ball but it is now confirmed that he lied to our coach. To be clear -- Pike didn't say that Cam told me he was coming back only if they lined up (more) NIL for him, etc. Pike also didn't say we could've kept Cam (and Paul) if NIL was lined up for them. So, regardless of your position on whether players should always chase dollars via NIL, Cam lied about his intentions.
Same lie a coach tells a player before he leaves to another school for $ OR same lie a coach who gets a vote of confidence from Gm only to get fired the next week.

RUChoppin is right on this. The story is Cam was happy here and planning on returning. Went home talked to his brother who convinced him he could get paid elsewhere and he left without talking to RU. He could have came to RU and said he wanted more or he was going to portal but didn't. This isn't on Pike

I think the new rule will help there. Undergraduate and graduate players have 60 days after Selection Sunday to enter.

Because I don’t think $400,000 or whatever is a fair market value for Paul, but the market is broken if Paul leaves in June and the only replacements are over-valued grad transfers
I suppose it still helps, but if a player leaves day 59 1/2 you are even more screwed

Same lie a coach tells a player before he leaves to another school for $ OR same lie a coach who gets a vote of confidence from Gm only to get fired the next week.
Point still stands. He's a liar. Again, nothing to do with his play on the court, whether he had the right to leave, etc.

Reactions: #1 RUFan and ru66
Point still stands. He's a liar. Again, nothing to do with his play on the court, whether he had the right to leave, etc.
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. We all have different interpretation of what a liar is. I don't know all the facts.

Well, I guess you're right. PIke could've lied to Carino in the article. But, I'll go with the guy that has been here for 7 years rather than the other guy who was here for 8 months.
My point is we don't know what went down. We have no facts.

Cam might have intended on staying.....found it how much RU was paying others and was insulted...found out what the open market would offer and left.

Again no idea of ANY facts....just not making judgements without knowing them.

FICTIOUS SCENARIO

Rutgers is paying Cam X
Cam later finds out RU pays Noah 5X
Cam is beyond disrepected finds out UCONN will pay 10X

In this ficticious scenario would Cam be wrong not going back to allow RU to match?

Also add to this scenario Cam is not on social media and may not even have a clue how fast things were evolving. Is it possible Cam was being paid $0?

Reactions: Unionst
I don’t blame the players. They did screw us big time but it’s the system that’s the problem. Hard to pass up a 6 figure plus boost at that age assuming those were the numbers.

My point is we don't know what went down. We have no facts.

Cam might have intended on staying.....found it how much RU was paying others and was insulted...found out what the open market would offer and left.

Again no idea of ANY facts....just not making judgements without knowing them.

FICTIOUS SCENARIO

Rutgers is paying Cam X
Cam later finds out RU pays Noah 5X
Cam is beyond disrepected finds out UCONN will pay 10X

In this ficticious scenario would Cam be wrong not going back to allow RU to match?

Also add to this scenario Cam is not on social media and may not even have a clue how fast things were evolving. Is it possible Cam was being paid $0?
If an employee tells an employer they are happy at a year end review and doesnt ask for a massive raise.... they aren't getting a massive raise unsolicited. That's just not how things work

Reactions: cm_13
exactly....but if they would have paid fair market value I don't think either one of them would have left
Let me guess, you carry a huge amount of debt on your credit cards and think nothing of it. Give this a rest already… with all that has been discussed this wasn’t just about $.

"Hey boss I love my job and I'm happy here. Can't wait for next year"

"OK cool you know what I'm going to double your salary"

This is fantasy land

Reactions: cm_13
Let me guess, you carry a huge amount of debt on your credit cards and think nothing of it. Give this a rest already… with all that has been discussed this wasn’t just about $.
bad guess.....no one knows the real facts, we are all speculating. It could 100% be about money and it could be 0% about money. I am sorry that I can't call Cam a liar and am sorry I have no reason(yet) to root against him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT