ADVERTISEMENT

Playcalling to mask the QB deficiencies

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
Not saying Bolin had a bad game, but I definitely was not impressed. I realize that the playcalling was also designed to keep time of possession and limit mistakes, but after what we've seen when Bolin has had to make some decisions and throws, the conservative playcalling makes that much more sense. Bottom line: we have a more than decent OL and a well above average RB in Edwards. We also have an improving defense who if not asked to play tons of snaps can hold their own. With all of those factors understood, expect a very basic offensive gameplan moving forward. Hopefully we can produce enough offensively to win some games.

Their secondary shut down our receivers. He had nobody to throw to other than very late in the game and the misplay by the DB on Bailey's TD. (BTW, the play would have been overturned if there was a challenge.)

They may be able to open up the vertical passing when they play lesser opponents.

Reactions: mikershoein
I think they limited the long balls because Washington's defensive line would have reached Bolin. I think we will see improved play down the line. I loved the play calling. I am optimistic.

Reactions: RuSnp and ashokan
I think they limited the long balls because Washington's defensive line would have reached Bolin. I think we will see improved play down the line. I loved the play calling. I am optimistic.

If they continue to do that, were pretty much raising the white flag saying we dont intend to win.

Remember we play a lot of good teams with great D lines.

Bolin has a weak arm. Its clear as day.

He also likes to zip balls into double and triple coverage. That works sometimes. But it also backfires often.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I think Lewis and gio will both see significant playing time in the next 2 games. After watching this game, eastern Michigan went from a 60 40 rutgers win to maybe 85 15 rutgers. Good chance we will be up by two or three tds by the 4th and can bring in Lewis and gio. Obviously should have a huge lead against Morgan state by half, so will see a lot of Lewis and gio there.

Will be very telling to see if who will have the edge by the Nebraska game.

Who is officially the backup at this point-gio or Lewis?

I loved the play calling.

Based on how we are trying to rebuild and the talent we are starting to recruit and develop, I agree. It's just too bad we don't have a QB which will allow us to do a bit more, even during these early stages of the rebuild. But to your point, I'd rather playcall smart and safe than try to do things we're not capable of.

The line did a good job I thought. The problem I think is QB decision making.

If they continue to do that, were pretty much raising the white flag saying we dont intend to win.

Remember we play a lot of good teams with great D lines.

Bolin has a weak arm. Its clear as day.

He also likes to zip balls into double and triple coverage. That works sometimes. But it also backfires often.
I disagree. The short passes come out so quick it is hard to defend. Rutgers moved the ball pretty good with the running attack and the quick passes. I don't think holding off throwing the bombs against Washington is raising the white flag and saying we don't intend to win.
Bolin did make some bad decisions, throwing into coverage and throwing a couple picks.

Reactions: Rufaninga
Play calling was as such moreso to mask the line deficiencies, IMO.

I thought some of the playcalling was designed to avoid a blowout. It seemed from the TV announcers that Rutgers was generally snapping only a few seconds before the playclock ran out in order to eat the clock. I also thought Bolin had some zip on his passes over the middle.

BTW, I thought the spread offense was supposed to give us a running quarterback. At least in the second half, Bolin wasn't running.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
Give Bolin a break, as it was his 1st game running an entirely new offense. Confident he will come around once the offense begins to gel.

Reactions: Extra Point
Looks like the majority are saying Bolin doesn't have a strong arm so maybe that is the case. Time will tell.

Reactions: Garybredow
Didn't really see any down field passes to try and stretch the defense. Our O-Line did a good job of giving Bolin time so maybe the game plan didn't really include that this week. I guess we'll find out in the next two weeks.
Plus when we tried to go for a medium pass play, it seemed like Wash always had 8 guys right there. None of our passes were wide open catches with some room to run. Of course, the Wash secondary might be new, but they are quick.

Twice Bailey was under thrown. No deep ability from Bolin?

Bolin did look shaky.....maybe nerves in his first start ???
Needs to have a Deep Ball. I think Gio was throwing better deep balls last year.
Let's see.

Bolin did look shaky.....maybe nerves in his first start ???
Needs to have a Deep Ball. I think Gio was throwing better deep balls last year.
Let's see.

Gio's deep balls were horrible. He'd miss the recover by 10+ yards.

I thought Bolin did ok other than the ints. Dink and dunk down the field. His first TD throw was perfect.

RU#fan... When exactly did you see Bolin as shaky...not on the first drive for a scorec... absolutely poised... though he doesn't possess a powerful arm he can make every through on the field according to someone much more in the know ...by the name Ray Lucas...when Mitchell, Melton , Wormley ,Bailey and Grant get more comfortable you will see a more open downfield display...Gio still is all over place... oh and Juwann Harris will also be back with Ahmir Mitchell in 4 weeks...

I thought Bolin did ok other than the ints. Dink and dunk down the field. His first TD throw was perfect.
The deep ball by nature will lead to a higher rate of incompletions, and by a wider margin, but Gio clearly has a stronger arm.

I wonder if we are not once again seeing a coach value the book smart, ball control, short passing game over the more talented QB.

But it was only one game against a top 10 team.

RU#fan... When exactly did you see Bolin as shaky...not on the first drive for a scorec... absolutely poised... though he doesn't possess a powerful arm he can make every through on the field according to someone much more in the know ...by the name Ray Lucas...when Mitchell, Melton , Wormley ,Bailey and Grant get more comfortable you will see a more open downfield display...Gio still is all over place... oh and Juwann Harris will also be back with Ahmir Mitchell in 4 weeks...
I thought the TD to Grant was a pretty dangerous pass. And the 2nd TD pass was not a great throw either. While the first pick was a terrible ball.

Gio has a stronger Arm, but Bolin has better accuracy, better game management and is a better leader.

Reactions: RUSK97

I thought it was rather dangerous. My humble opinion would have liked to have seen more height and depth on that throw.

You are kidding right ? Bolin could've easily had 4 Interceptions instead of 2. Threw dangerously into Coverage on numerous occasions. Even the TD pass to Bailey was underthrown and he had to fight to grab it.
Let's see how he looks vs. a bad MAC team next week. Hopefully much better.

Masking????

no, just good play calling...... and O should improve as Kill get better handle on talent and everyone gains confidence...

I know people want us slinging it around, but not when they are giving us 5 yard plays underneath and not when you're playing the #8 team with an excellent secondary. I can't fault Kill or Bolin for Dinking and dunking.

Reactions: RU62
I think the game plan and approach were good. With lack of depth it is good to give defense nice breathers.

My only complaints ate we need to take a few more shots down field just to open things up and speed things up a little and take a few more chances when we are running out of time. Not much to loose doing so.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Not saying Bolin had a bad game, but I definitely was not impressed. I realize that the playcalling was also designed to keep time of possession and limit mistakes, but after what we've seen when Bolin has had to make some decisions and throws, the conservative playcalling makes that much more sense. Bottom line: we have a more than decent OL and a well above average RB in Edwards. We also have an improving defense who if not asked to play tons of snaps can hold their own. With all of those factors understood, expect a very basic offensive gameplan moving forward. Hopefully we can produce enough offensively to win some games.

Think the passing game was kept to quick throws to protect the oline too

Bolin got LUCKY w only 2 interceptions.. and I love the posts that say 'he did good minus the two interceptions.' Well he DID throw 2, which should've been 4, and every other throw he made was mediocre at best. And I don't see leadership in this kid.. I see a bitter transfer that couldn't keep his old starting role for a reason.. and that reason shines through tonight.

I thought some of the playcalling was designed to avoid a blowout. It seemed from the TV announcers that Rutgers was generally snapping only a few seconds before the playclock ran out in order to eat the clock. I also thought Bolin had some zip on his passes over the middle.

BTW, I thought the spread offense was supposed to give us a running quarterback. At least in the second half, Bolin wasn't running.
It's designed to keep you in the game. You simply shorten the game giving your opponent less opportunities to score. If any of you watched Minny play while Kill was there it's exactly what he did. He took his less talented squads shortened the game and gave his ball club a chance to win at the end verse superior talent. It takes the fast paced offenses out of their rhythm because they have so few opportunities.

god.............. Mehringer was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo horrible.

just wonderful to see the offense not hurt the defense with constant 3-and-outs taking :49 second off the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of dinking and dunking but didn't have the same feeling about Bolin as I did with last year's qb. Think Kill kept the play calling tight to avoid big hits on Bolin, build oline confidence, keep the taking the 4-5 yds up the gut until UW could stop and to get our WRs comfortable running routes. Once I saw Bolin deliver a strong throw from one side of the field to the other side outside the hashes by the numbers for a completion I felt his arm was plenty strong enough to throw downfield. Look forward to seeing Kill open up the playbook. This was a confidence builder. Only playcall that I was really disappointed in was the run call coming out of the time out in the 4th and 2yds to go for first on our side of the field. Would have like some play action with a qb option to run for first. Folks: this game was within reach. Plenty to learn and build from.

GO RU

Agree - Bailey was open both times, which is a good sign. Let's see if Bolin can shake off the rust. But his arm is not strong.
I am not sure if he's got a deep arm or not, but just because you leave a couple of deep passes short doesn't mean you have a week arm. It is also very possible that Bolin misread where he had to put the ball. Not fair to say he has a weak arm after watching him one game.

Bolin got LUCKY w only 2 interceptions.. and I love the posts that say 'he did good minus the two interceptions.' Well he DID throw 2, which should've been 4, and every other throw he made was mediocre at best. And I don't see leadership in this kid.. I see a bitter transfer that couldn't keep his old starting role for a reason.. and that reason shines through tonight.
===
you don't see so good

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT