ADVERTISEMENT

Politi Doubles Down on Being Debbie Downer

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

"Let's be real here: Many people are going to watch just to see if Rutgers embarrasses itself."

"If they get their doors blown off, that's what everyone was expecting (and hey, everyone will change the channel and move on."

If they "immediately fall into the punch bowl, they will have opened themselves up to ridicule."

spicoli-you-dick.gif

Last edited:
I mean, he's not wrong - at least with respect to the casual, bowl watching CFB fan. The comments on the Gator Bowl tweet announcing the game are clear indication of that - many, if not most, simply asked "why?".

Fact is, Rutgers football has an image problem, nationally. People don't think we're a major program.

I can't criticize him too much. We're going to be playing the #20 team in the country that has had three weeks more practice time together and is not scrambling to get waivers for players and a few good practices in before the game. While everyone hopes we're going to shock the world, realistically we are up against very steep odds in this game.

I don’t understand why anyone on this message board (we assume a Rutgers football fanatic) would bother reading NJcom and ESPECIALLY Politi. Do you go back and watch the last 2 minutes of the Penn State 2014 game over and over in your free time? Highlights from the 3rd overtime of rutgers WVU 2006? Look up “Rutgers buzzer beater losses compilation” on YouTube? Why why why bring misery willingly upon yourself by clicking on Politi articles. And then, worse than that, is paste that filth on this board and make everyone else have to look at it!!! Politi content should be banned from this board, and anyone who posts it gets a lifetime ban for trolling and/or bringing misery to the fan base

Despite the risks, the potential benefits esp if we win would be enormous in recruiting new players AND new coaches.
The problem is if we don't win there is no benefit from this trip.
Win and it's a great decision.
Lose and it's a bad decision.
Lose really bad and sustain injuries it's a really dumb decision.

There’s a lot of truth to what he wrote but it wouldn’t have hurt for him to take another approach:

“RU was handed an early Christmas present, and it may not be one they really need, but it seems to be a fitting end to a wacky 2021.”

I don’t understand why anyone on this message board (we assume a Rutgers football fanatic) would bother reading NJcom and ESPECIALLY Politi. Do you go back and watch the last 2 minutes of the Penn State 2014 game over and over in your free time? Highlights from the 3rd overtime of rutgers WVU 2006? Look up “Rutgers buzzer beater losses compilation” on YouTube? Why why why bring misery willingly upon yourself by clicking on Politi articles. And then, worse than that, is paste that filth on this board and make everyone else have to look at it!!! Politi content should be banned from this board, and anyone who posts it gets a lifetime ban for trolling and/or bringing misery to the fan base
It’s what we (not me) do.🤷‍♂️

It’s great for kids to get extra practice and experience. That’s the good.

who knows, maybe WF is not going to be in the right mind set. Not meaning to be disrespectful to alma mater, but Wake goes from trying to beat an SEC team (still the only team to beat Bama) to RU…a team with promise but still in the rebuilding process.

It will be interesting to see where their mind set it. If RU can make the second half worth watching it was well worth it.

Reactions: RUScrew85
We’ve been playing top 25 teams all year so we know what we’re up against. Wake Forest has to be let down playing us which should help. Cant see them being all that motivated.
Yes. Playing top 25 teams that many, many people have been prepping for. We have not practiced. we have not been scouting, we have not created a game plan etc.

I am excited to watch but I am very nervous.

The one positive is Wake has not been preparing for us either.

I mean, he's not wrong - at least with respect to the casual, bowl watching CFB fan. The comments on the Gator Bowl tweet announcing the game are clear indication of that - many, if not most, simply asked "why?".

Fact is, Rutgers football has an image problem, nationally. People don't think we're a major program.
Ash years hurt us but a good CFB fan has started to realize we are not an Ash Rutgers. They saw MST/Purdue/Maryland/Mich games in 2020 and Cuse/Ill/Mich/Indy games in 2021 and a 25ish recruiting class...
I have noticed that my co workers around the country don't really pay that much attention to us but almost all of them actually cheer Rutgers on and love to see us do well. I think you will see that majority of CFB fans watching this bowl will actually hoping we win.
And even if we do get blown out, most will also realize we had 1 or 2 practices after being home with the family for a few days.

This is a no lose situation for us. As Politi himself says, people expect us to fall on our face. If we do, no big deal, we were playing a ranked opponent with no time to prepare and with some players sitting out. Anything we do better than that is a big win for us. And who knows, playing a some paper tiger from the ACC with no good wins and a suspect defense could lead to a monumental surprise.

The problem is if we don't win there is no benefit from this trip.
Win and it's a great decision.
Lose and it's a bad decision.
Lose really bad and sustain injuries it's a really dumb decision.
wBus,The kids that are going to play in the game are probably thrilled to be able to go. THAT IF NOTHING ELSE makes it worth going.IF we play well, even possibly Win, it would be icing on the cake. As the BLESSED YOGI said "It ain't over until it's over"

Clawson is a good coach, he will have that team ready to play. They will not come out flat. However, Clawson is also not a total prick, he will not intentionally run up the score. Now, if we have a lot of turnovers and can't stop the run I don't know how you blame it on the coach if the score gets ugly, that is on us. I would love to see us keep it within 7-10 points at halftime and then if it gets away from us late in the third or fourth quarter, so be it.

Reactions: colbert17
Yes. Playing top 25 teams that many, many people have been prepping for. We have not practiced. we have not been scouting, we have not created a game plan etc.

I am excited to watch but I am very nervous.

The one positive is Wake has not been preparing for us either.
Keep it simple and execute. Don't shoot ourselves in the foot and RU will be OK. Make the plays you can and concentrate on the guy in front of you. No need to get fancy or tricky.

Reactions: RC91CP
You would think politi would enjoy some fun and sun in Florida for a few days . This probably messed with his holiday plans so he’s pissed and has to work

Reactions: mdh2003
Line is all about getting equal $ on both sides. Its about enticing gamblers. How do we get the folks on the side less likely to bet into the mix. This line says to me that the Wake folks are the ones being enticed. That's it.
Just a number.
Nobody knows how this game will play out. If they say they do? Its a lie.

Reactions: Plum Street
Two things I know while keeping this huge challenge in perspective.
Rutgers has played way better on the road.
Schianno knows how to prepare for bowls.

Lol. The kids are probably as fresh as theyve been since september. Theyve been training until a week ago. This is legitimately the same physically as if youre coming off a bye week, maybe even better

Yea this stuff about being lazy sitting on the couch eating chips is way overblown. They’ve had a week off. They are in peak physical condition entering the peak physical prime of their life. You can argue we didn’t actually practice thus our schemes might not be air tight but to think they aren’t physically ready is laughable.

Lots of variables at play here, where if they all break our way, could be reason for hope...

- Lack of motivation from Wake, swapping an 8-3 Texas A&M for a 5-7 Rutgers that is going to have to scramble to even assemble a team in time
- Lack of time for Wake to prepare and shift gears, after spending 3 weeks focusing on Texas A&M. Both teams have short time to watch game film and prepare, but they've also already just been preparing for a different opponent and have to forget what they've learned to refocus on Rutgers - where we're learning fresh
- Rutgers is going to be amped and adrenaline will be running high. Going from "season is over" to "scramble to get ready" to "play in a NYE bowl" is a whirlwind, and I'd imagine there'd be a ton of juice on our side of the equation

Yea this stuff about being lazy sitting on the couch eating chips is way overblown. They’ve had a week off. They are in peak physical condition entering the peak physical prime of their life. You can argue we didn’t actually practice thus our schemes might not be air tight but to think they aren’t physically ready is laughable.
Yes. And after a long season, some extended down time is really beneficial, and advantageous.

Reactions: Caliknight
As the 2020 HS and college seasons proved, a good coach can get their teams prepared for a new opponent quickly, sometimes in one day. So I won’t be surprised that both Wake Forrest won’t be let down in preparing for Rutgers in a week just as Schiano should have Rutgers ready and motivated as well.

"Let's be real here: Many people are going to watch just to see if Rutgers embarrasses itself."

"If they get their doors blown off, that's what everyone was expecting (and hey, everyone will change the channel and move on."

If they "immediate fall into the punch bowl, they will have opened themselves up to ridicule."

spicoli-you-dick.gif
To be honest , in yesterdays presser , when the young woman said” , next up Steve Politi for coach Schiano” If Greg’s look didn’t look pleased It wasn’t. He handled it as he normally does professionally and with thought. Politi is not and should not be a Rutger’s fan favorite. He has been this way for years. Did North Carolina get a bid?

Reactions: RC1978
Politi (and On the Banks for that matter) completely disregards how bad it would’ve looked perception wise if we declined this and Illinois went out there and played. I can’t believe they are overlooking this.

We had to try to play. we’d be far better off failing Covid protocols as it gets closer to the event having at least tried to prepare than declining up front. Saying no would’ve sent the message that our kids had disconnected and had no interest in one more game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT