ADVERTISEMENT

Politi's Article On The Season

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Nothing shocking here, and the tone was analytical and not attacking. This season was known for mind-blowing things we did or didn't do, but I didn't realize until reading the article that we didn't score first in a single game this year. Let's hope Ash knows what he's doing. He's our coach so I'm behind him and look forward to signing day, and there is so much work to do I don't even know what to say.

Season Assessment

Last edited:
Reactions: coldsprings
"He's an ahole. Won't read."
Go ahead, Jim, and stick your neck in the sand. If you do read the article, I defy you to contradict any point Politi made in his assessment.

Mostly he just said "it's on ash to figure out what went wrong and fix it" a few times. not exactly laser sharp analysis.

Too bad, he makes good points.

His central theme, buried in the 3rd or 4th graf, is that Rutgers has less talent than any of the other teams in the conference but more talent than 2-10 would suggest. Which is, I think, absolutely spot-on.

We don't have more talent than 2-10 suggests. I have seen much more talented 2-10 teams. Except for Grant, our talent wasn't that far above Howard.

Go ahead, Jim, and stick your neck in the sand. If you do read the article, I defy you to contradict any point Politi made in his assessment.

Why is anyone sticking their head in the sand if they don't read a tabloid papers articles? What did you get the bullet points on how to conduct a football rebuild? Or just an article rehashing what everyone knows already from watching the games? Politi should not be mistaken for some type of expert on football. He's simply a columnist who gives his opinion. An opinion which many of us find useless.

no need to read.... (1) it won't include anything insightful, (2) I'm sure he wrote it back in June anyway.......

Nothing showing here, and the tone was analytical and not attacking. This season was known for mind-blowing things we did or didn't do, but I didn't realize until reading the article that we didn't score first in a single game this year. Let's hope Ash knows what he's doing. He's our coach so I'm behind him and look forward to signing day, and there is so much work to do I don't even know what to say.

Season Assessment
"Asked how much faith he has in Drew Mehringer to get the Scarlet Knights' offense right, Ash said: "A ton of faith. I'm not sure what kind of question that is, but I have a ton of faith.''

Faith based on what? Has Mehringer ever been a successful OC? Do other OCs seek his guidance? Was Rutgers not the second worst offense in the country? Did the offense improve as the season went on? Did Rutgers not have two proven backs, Martin and Hicks, that Mehringer's schemes couldn't utilize effectively?

"Asked how much faith he has in Drew Mehringer to get the Scarlet Knights' offense right, Ash said: "A ton of faith. I'm not sure what kind of question that is, but I have a ton of faith.''

Faith based on what? Has Mehringer ever been a successful OC? Do other OCs seek his guidance? Was Rutgers not the second worst offense in the country? Did the offense improve as the season went on? Did Rutgers not have two proven backs, Martin and Hicks, that Mehringer's schemes couldn't utilize effectively?
Yeah, he probably should've totally trashed the offensive coordinator right there on TV with all the recruits watching. o_O

not a big politi sl fan but we had enough talent on the team to win the Iowa,Illinois,Indiana,Minnesota,Maryland games

Winning is the solution

Reactions: BrickCityRU

Wonder if there is no offensive progress by game 6 or 9 next year if Ash makes a move like Bob Diaco made at UConn this year, demoting his OC and long time colleague:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-presser-1102-20161101-story.html
Diaco, who said he consults the offensive staff during the week but does not interfere during games, also expressed severe disappointment in the plays called by Verducci during the first series at East Carolina. Starting at the ECU 40, the first play was a pass to Arkeel Newsome for a loss of 3, the type of play Diaco said he had never seen a team open a game with. Three plays later, Bryant Shirreffs was stopped shy of a first down.

"And the cookie crumbled for that group over there," Diaco said of the offense. "It just became kind of listless at that point. And with all the things I've seen so far, whether it be the finish of the Navy game, the finish of the Syracuse game [a failure to score a tying touchdown from the 2], the ineptness in the red zone, and on and on, the inability to score touchdowns …
"

And that's when, 15 minutes into a 25-minute opening statement Tuesday, Diaco announced Verducci's demotion.

"He's an absolute pro and a great, great guy and he's a man I have known since I was 14 years old," Diaco said. "He's a good man and he's got a strong football mind. And it's not all on him."

UConn is ranked 113th in rushing offense, 106th in total offense and 64th in passing offense. The Huskies were the last team in the nation to score a point in the first quarter of a game, which they finally did in Week 7.

-------------
The move did not help this year. UConn scored 13 points in their last 3 games, and got shellacked by Tulane this year.

Yeah, he probably should've totally trashed the offensive coordinator right there on TV with all the recruits watching. o_O
Did I write that he should publically trash Mehringer? Do you really think recruits are not questioning Mehringer's competence and are alarmed by the seemingly high odds he will be returning?

Mehringer's has not voiced his "ton of faith" in his players; instead, he has proclaimed himself as the arbiter of where his schemes failed and where the players failed. How absurd is that? He gets to evaluate his own failures. But I suppose how you see it, if the board and reporters would just shut up, recruits won't notice.

Well... We can only get better from here on out. Ash will earn his paycheck or not on signing day.

Nothing shocking here, and the tone was analytical and not attacking. This season was known for mind-blowing things we did or didn't do, but I didn't realize until reading the article that we didn't score first in a single game this year. Let's hope Ash knows what he's doing. He's our coach so I'm behind him and look forward to signing day, and there is so much work to do I don't even know what to say.

Season Assessment
#BOYCOTTSTARLEDGER

All that tells me is the defense was good at stopping teams when they didn't have a lot of real estate to operate. It's a lot easier to defend 10 yards versus 80.

It was clear in Washington game that RU was slow and couldn't cover turf. Its also clear RU doesn't have a lot of talent. The fact RU can still be tough in red zone is a tribute to good defensive coaching.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Wonder if there is no offensive progress by game 6 or 9 next year if Ash makes a move like Bob Diaco made at UConn this year, demoting his OC and long time colleague:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-presser-1102-20161101-story.html
Diaco, who said he consults the offensive staff during the week but does not interfere during games, also expressed severe disappointment in the plays called by Verducci during the first series at East Carolina. Starting at the ECU 40, the first play was a pass to Arkeel Newsome for a loss of 3, the type of play Diaco said he had never seen a team open a game with. Three plays later, Bryant Shirreffs was stopped shy of a first down.

"And the cookie crumbled for that group over there," Diaco said of the offense. "It just became kind of listless at that point. And with all the things I've seen so far, whether it be the finish of the Navy game, the finish of the Syracuse game [a failure to score a tying touchdown from the 2], the ineptness in the red zone, and on and on, the inability to score touchdowns …
"

And that's when, 15 minutes into a 25-minute opening statement Tuesday, Diaco announced Verducci's demotion.

"He's an absolute pro and a great, great guy and he's a man I have known since I was 14 years old," Diaco said. "He's a good man and he's got a strong football mind. And it's not all on him."

UConn is ranked 113th in rushing offense, 106th in total offense and 64th in passing offense. The Huskies were the last team in the nation to score a point in the first quarter of a game, which they finally did in Week 7.

-------------
The move did not help this year. UConn scored 13 points in their last 3 games, and got shellacked by Tulane this year.
Mid-season changes are hard to execute IMO. You need to have someone on staff capable of taking over too. Charlie Strong changed last year from Shawn Watson the OC he brought from Louisville to Jay Norvell a guy who hadn't called plays in 8 years or so and not for the same type of offense. Hypothetically, say you demoted Mehringer mid-season next year. Who on the current staff would take over. I'm not familiar with all their backgrounds but have any of them even called plays before and with any success if they have?

Co-OC seems like a reasonable course of action but as I've said that depends on Ash deeming it necessary and then budget because I don't see Mehringer's salary being reduced.

Mid-season changes are hard to execute IMO. You need to have someone on staff capable of taking over too. Charlie Strong changed last year from Shawn Watson the OC he brought from Louisville to Jay Norvell a guy who hadn't called plays in 8 years or so and not for the same type of offense. Hypothetically, say you demoted Mehringer mid-season next year. Who on the current staff would take over. I'm not familiar with all their backgrounds but have any of them even called plays before and with any success if they have?

Co-OC seems like a reasonable course of action but as I've said that depends on Ash deeming it necessary and then budget because I don't see Mehringer's salary being reduced.
I did say "a move like Bob Diaco," but that is not exactly what I meant in structure and timing. I was thinking more like at the end of the year hiring a seasoned OC as Co-OC or senior advisor if we continue to look futile on offense. As I have noted elsehwere, our current offensive staff is extremely, extremely light on experience. Surprised Ash did not recognize this when he made his hires. I have the Diaco example because they have similar strong defensive credentials, and Diaco appeared to have a hands off approach on offense until this year.

Remember, Chris Ash said it was he who identified Gio when he was watching Gio run the scout team. If not for that discovery, we may have never changed QBs this year.

I did say "a move like Bob Diaco," but that is not exactly what I meant in structure and timing. I was thinking more like at the end of the year hiring a seasoned OC as Co-OC or senior advisor if we continue to look futile on offense. As I have noted elsehwere, our current offensive staff is extremely, extremely light on experience. Surprised Ash did not recognize this when he made his hires. I have the Diaco example because they have similar strong defensive credentials, and Diaco appeared to have a hands off approach on offense until this year.

Remember, Chris Ash said it was he who identified Gio when he was watching Gio run the scout team. If not for that discovery, we may have never changed QBs this year.
The most likely time for change is probably in the next 1.5 months if it's going to happen. I guess you could extend it til signing day but I don't see Mehringer being let go so is it necessary to keep a position coach through then? It's a position coach who would have to be let go to make room. Plus usually that's when the flurry of changes are made and you have a wider array of coaches available before they land in new spots.

The most likely time for change is probably in the next 1.5 months if it's going to happen. I guess you could extend it til signing day but I don't see Mehringer being let go so is it necessary to keep a position coach through then? It's a position coach who would have to be let go to make room. Plus usually that's when the flurry of changes are made and you have a wider array of coaches available before they land in new spots.
Do we have to let a position coach go to add another coach? Because of NCAA rules? Budget?

Do we have to let a position coach go to add another coach? Because of NCAA rules? Budget?
Not budget I thought there was an NCAA rule of how many coaches you can have on staff. Although I do feel like someone posted here that the NCAA may be changing that limit.

I think some of the support staff roles like you've seen at Alabama and such don't have limits but as far as position coaches etc..who go out and recruit I thought there was a limit. Now that limit might change soon but as far as I know we're at that limit like most schools would be.

This is an interesting discussion. Speaking of Diaco, I watched UConn play this year (here at BC) and I believe that they suffered many of the same problems we did, albeit against inferior competition. But, the principle is the same -- an offense that just could not sustain drives and a coaching staff that suffered from a lack of know-how when it comes to 'what to do with the players you do have'.

And, that's where i think the problem lies, because of the experience (or, lack of experience) on the coaching staff - in all areas - they didn't know what to do with the players they do have. Yes, I know they didn't recruit them, or they may not fit their system, but accomplished coaches find success with the players they do have. As in, "in Year 1". That's not the situation we're in. I just hope Ash is successful by Year 3, or it becomes obvious that we're moving in the right direction.

I get that the coach has to give a positive spin, but saying 10 losses "isn't bad"?

Yeesh.

Not budget I thought there was an NCAA rule of how many coaches you can have on staff. Although I do feel like someone posted here that the NCAA may be changing that limit.

I think some of the support staff roles like you've seen at Alabama and such don't have limits but as far as position coaches etc..who go out and recruit I thought there was a limit. Now that limit might change soon but as far as I know we're at that limit like most schools would be.
There is an NCAA rule limiting the number of people on staff who can recruit--I think that number is 6 (it might be 7). I don't think the recruiters have to be coaches, but I'm pretty sure it's more effective to have position coaches and head coaches doing the recruiting since they are the ones the players work with for four years.

There is an NCAA rule limiting the number of people on staff who can recruit--I think that number is 6 (it might be 7). I don't think the recruiters have to be coaches, but I'm pretty sure it's more effective to have position coaches and head coaches doing the recruiting since they are the ones the players work with for four years.
Thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Too bad, he makes good points.

His central theme, buried in the 3rd or 4th graf, is that Rutgers has less talent than any of the other teams in the conference but more talent than 2-10 would suggest. Which is, I think, absolutely spot-on.

That's probably right and the difference in W/L is the price you pay when you change schemes. For example, pro-set players are not well suited for a spread offense. We'll know whether it was worth it starting in year 3. I'm still optimistic.

I would add a co-OC as quickly as possible because it could help with recruiting.

But that's predicated on (a) having someone with great experience available, (b) finding someone that wants the job, (c) having the funding to do it because someone with great experience isn't going to be cheap.

I think Mehringer is fine, but he's unarguably young and the offense is going to be a huge project. So I would keep him, definitely not demote him. And I would make him understand that we're getting more help for the offense, not expressing a lack of confidence in DM at all. There are thousand details to running an offense with lots of talent. When there's a dearth of talent, there are even more details and more creativity is required - which takes time.

But yeah, I'd do it ASAP in hopes that it could help with recruiting.

Reactions: Knight Shift
As stated above we do. I'd sacrifice that Kuhr guy. Our Rb's seemed to regress this year and his two commits left. Can him and get an experienced Co-OC that can work with the RB's. I'm pretty sure he's on a one year deal so it wouldn't cost too much extra money to lure somebody in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
As stated above we do. I'd sacrifice that Kuhr guy. Our Rb's seemed to regress this year and his two commits left. Can him and get an experienced Co-OC that can work with the RB's. I'm pretty sure he's on a one year deal so it wouldn't cost too much extra money to lure somebody in.
You may recall Kuhr was first hired as WRs coach and Williams as RB coach. Then, after signing day, Ash flipped their roles. Jafar Williams had great success coaching running backs for Darell Hazell at Purdue and Kent State--he coached Dri Archer and and Traylon Durham who ran all over Rutgers in 2012.
The flip was kind of odd, and Williams seemed to take it in stride. But the flip of positions was done to accommodate Kuhr, who had no WR coaching experience--and remember, we lost two WRs (Bah (who flipped back) and Taysmir Mack flipped to Indiana).

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...sistants_zak_kuhr_and_jafar_williams_swi.html

Here's a power move- get Darell Hazell as Assistant Head Coach/Co-OC/WRs, and let Jafar Williams coach the RBs. Hazell coached WRs at WMU, Army, Rutgers, and for 7 years under Tressel at Ohio State. Hazell is from South Jersey.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Hazell

Reactions: koleszar
You may recall Kuhr was first hired as WRs coach and Williams as RB coach. Then, after signing day, Ash flipped their roles. Jafar Williams had great success coaching running backs for Darell Hazell at Purdue and Kent State--he coached Dri Archer and and Traylon Durham who ran all over Rutgers in 2012.
The flip was kind of odd, and Williams seemed to take it in stride. But the flip of positions was done to accommodate Kuhr, who had no WR coaching experience--and remember, we lost two WRs (Bah (who flipped back) and Taysmir Mack flipped to Indiana).

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...sistants_zak_kuhr_and_jafar_williams_swi.html

Here's a power move- get Darell Hazell as Assistant Head Coach/Co-OC/WRs, and let Jafar Williams coach the RBs. Hazell coached WRs at WMU, Army, Rutgers, and for 7 years under Tressel at Ohio State. Hazell is from South Jersey.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Hazell
Does Hazell have any OC experience? Because it makes no sense to bring in a co-OC with no OC experience just to add a position coach.

Also, I think I'd add a guy with OL coaching experience before any other position group (on offense). The RBs and WRs (and QBs) can only be as successful as the OL is. Get a good OL and the rest of the position groups get better automatically.

[Edit] Just looked, only a few years at Oberlin as OC. No OL experience. So... I would vote no for the reasons mentioned above.

Also, I wouldn't bring in anybody as an assistant head coach. A co-OC w/OL position-group experience. And someone who did these things in an offense similar to what we want to run (i.e. power spread).

Does Hazell have any OC experience? Because it makes no sense to bring in a co-OC with no OC experience just to add a position coach.

Also, I think I'd add a guy with OL coaching experience before any other position group (on offense). The RBs and WRs (and QBs) can only be as successful as the OL is. Get a good OL and the rest of the position groups get better automatically.

[Edit] Just looked, only a few years at Oberlin as OC. No OL experience. So... I would vote no for the reasons mentioned above.

Also, I wouldn't bring in anybody as an assistant head coach. A co-OC w/OL position-group experience. And someone who did these things in an offense similar to what we want to run (i.e. power spread).
Well I disagree on no AHC, and so does Chris Ash. Twitter says he just hired Charlie Partridge as AHC.
Disagree on Hazell too. He was head coach at Purdue and Kent State--guessing he had a big hand in running their offense.

Don't waste your time with these Pollyannas .
They think Ash can do no wrong and in fact hired the right staff. LMAO

Well I disagree on no AHC, and so does Chris Ash. Twitter says he just hired Charlie Partridge as AHC.
Disagree on Hazell too. He was head coach at Purdue and Kent State--guessing he had a big hand in running their offense.
If true (Partridge), then I cannot understand that decision. He's a defense guy, and we already have two experienced defense guys. And he's a loser as a HC (9-27). WTF?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT